Final

Broken Strings, Fallen Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jisoo looked at his engagement ring then at his fiancee who was lying on the hospital bed, looking frail and wan, her eyes were closed and her breathing was shallow, her heart rate was slow. He sighed before taking the guitar that was standing on its stand. He placed it comfortably in his arms before he played some soft tunes with the strings, plucking the strings gently.

"W-w-water," Bo Young muttered and Jisoo stopped strumming the strings right away and looked at Bo Young with a questioning look on his face, just hearing her frail voice made him stop doing anything that he was doing before. "W-water," she struggled to say and Jisoo quickly fed her water, she was too weak to do it by herself. Bo Young was infected with Leukemia and it has been quite a few months since she had been in the hospital but she was still happy that Jisoo was always there with her, all the time and he brings his guitar with him, playing soft tunes for Bo Young to feel at ease and to know that he was still there. Jisoo took a break from his work of teaching students how to play guitar just so that he could be by Bo Young's side, day and night, he didn't want to miss a thing.

Before Bo Young was diagnosed with Leukemia, they were happy, engaged twenty-four year olds, Jisoo teaching high school students how to play the guitar and Bo Young studying in university, doing her masters. They were a happy couple, always going on dinner dates, night strolls, Jisoo serenading Bo Young with his mellow voice and guitar when she's down but all that flew away into the darkness when Bo Young went for a medical check-up and her doctor said that she had Leukemia. When they went home after that day at the hospital Bo Young and Jisoo went to sleep in each others arms, Bo Young crying and she held onto Jisoo like her life depended on him, it did. Jisoo cried, the tears slowly escaped from his eyes, his lips were on Bo Young's temple the whole night until he fell asleep with haunting thoughts running through his head.

Jisoo still remembered that day until now so vividly.

Jisoo brushed her hair and smiled at her. "What song should I play? Sunday Morning?" he asked her and Bo Young gave him a weak nod and Jisoo started singing Sunday Morning with the strumming of the guitar strings, Bo Young went back to sleep from his soft voice and the guitar strumming. When he was finished with the song, Jisoo smiled at the sleeping figure of Bo Young and gave her a kiss on the forehead and at the same time, one of his friends came in, Choi Seungcheol, the guy who used to go out with Bo Young during their high school years together, it was clear that he still cared for the girl, especially how Bo Young is right now.

"Hey," Seungcheol said and gave a short hug to Jisoo before he gazed at Bo Young. "Did the doctor say anything new?" he asked and took a seat on the other side of the bed.

Jisoo shook his head. "Still the same," he replied and placed his hand on top of Bo Young's. "The only thing happening is that her hair has been starting to fall off," Seungcheol's lips twitched, he had been a single guy after breaking up with Bo Young and no other girl seemed to represent herself to Seungcheol. "She wanted to see you actually," Jisoo added, Seungcheol looked at Bo Young with a hint of love evident in his eyes.

"Is that so?" Seungcheol questioned. "She's asleep now though, I'll drop by again later with the rest of the guys," he said and left. Jisoo winced when the door closed and turned back to Bo Young, brushing her hair out of her face. 'There's nothing I can say, is there?' he thought before picking up the guitar once more and strumming the strings listlessly. 

-

Instead, her health conditions went worse day after day, the disease was slowly killing her, said the doctor to Jisoo and after that, he went to church and prayed, prayed so long and so hard that tears flowed out of his eyes. Jisoo prayed and prayed for Bo Young to get better, he stayed in the church until nightfall and regained back his senses when he got a phone call coming from Seungcheol.

"Where are you right now? They guys are here and it's weird if you're not, you're her fiancee," Seungcheol said with a hint of impatience.

Jisoo hastily wiped his tears and sniffed. "Sorry, I'll be right there," he hung before Seungcheol could question him why he was sniffing.

Jisoo stood up before he walked out of the church and jogged towards the hospital that was on the other side of the road. When he entered the hospital, Jisoo quickly went to the bathroom and splashed his face with water, wiping away the tears again that came out later. He continued to splash his face with water but the tears still kept on coming. 'Argh, this is useless,' he thought to himself before he let the tears be and jogged to Bo Young's room.

When Jisoo came in , Bo Young was happily talking to Seungcheol's friends, making jokes with them.  Bo Young turned her head when she heard the door closing and he eyes met with a red and teary eyed Jisoo. Her eyes instantly when soft when she looked at him. "Jisoo... oh Jisoo, come here, please don't cry," she told him softly and the room when quiet. "Jisoo... please," Bo Young tenderly said and her fiancee slowly walked his way to Bo Young's bed, the guys made way for him immediately. All of their expressions all turned sad, even Seungkwan and Seokmin couldn't do anything. Jisoo sat down on the bed and Bo Young cupped his face with her hands, wiping the tears away with her thumbs. Seungcheol on the other side, sighed but he didn't say anything even though he had the strong urge to scold Jisoo for staying too long at the church. All the guys were like brothers to Bo Young, it was painful to see their sister hurt.

"What did the doctor say, Jisoo?" Seungcheol said aloud. "Spit it out,"

"There's nothing good out of it," muttered Jisoo and Bo Young pried her hands off his face.

"Can we not talk about it? At all, please," Bo Young interrupted. "Today is a special day, right Jeonghan? You're twenty-five today!" Bo Young brightened the atmosphere by clapping her hands and smiling, the rest of the guys joined her by singing a happy birthday song but Seungcheol and Jisoo didn't really participate.

-

"What did the doctor say?" Seungcheol and Jisoo were alone, sitting outside of Bo Young's room, it was close to midnight and the other guys had already went home after celebrating Jeonghan's birthday, Bo Young was asleep in her room.

"It's getting worse, nothing's improving," Jisoo told Seungcheol and ran a hand through his hair, feeling exhausted.

"Nothing? At all?" Seungcheol's eyebrows creased, Jisoo nodded, somewhat a reluctant nod. "Can't we do something?"

"I don't know, I'm not a doctor am I? He said that it's spread all over her, surgery is obviously no use, chemo isn't gonna work either," Jisoo sadly said. "Go home Seungcheol, it's late," Jisoo told him before he stood up and went into Bo Young's room without saying anything else to Seungcheol. 'And she has several months left to live, that's what you were meant to say,' Seungcheol thought and left for home. He also asked Bo Young's doctor about her condition, he had to make sure.

On the way home in the bus, he thought about Bo Young, about their past relationship and their friendship afterwards of that. Seungcheol felt that lump forming in his throat, he breathed in heavily and kept in the tears. He knew her since the start of high school and was's already twenty-five years old, almost eleven years ever since he met her. It was so upsetting knowing the fact that she was going to leave to world so soon, at such a young and lively age. Seungcheol didn't have time for any other girls when Bo Young was transferred to the hospital, whenever he had free time, he would straightaway go to the hospital to c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter