Sweater Angel

Sweater Angel

a/n: So I wrote this for the first round of the smtown fic fest on livejournal, about 6 months ago. I guess I never posted it (oops...) but enjoy all the fluffy kyuhyun/suho cuteness!! <3

Sweater Angel

Kyuhyun jammed his sunglasses further up the bridge of his nose and ignored the judgmental looks that he received from his fellow department store shoppers. If they all knew who he was, well…

That was why he was wearing sunglasses inside.

Kyuhyun turned the corner of the aisle and headed over to the clothing section. The autumn chill had just started to set in, and he was more than ready to invest in a new selection of sweaters. There was just something he loved about sweaters: they were soft, comfortable, and the perfect clothing item for winter to snuggle in on cold nights.

Kyuhyun was so immersed in his thoughts about why he loved sweaters that he didn’t look where he was going. Suddenly, his foot made contact with the front of someone’s shoe and he went flying face first into a pile of soft cashmere.

Kyuhyun groaned in pain, although the noise was muffled due to the fact that his face was buried in a pile of sweaters. He reluctantly pushed himself up out of the pile and took his sunglasses off, rubbing at his forehead. Yet another reason not to wear sunglasses indoors.

“Oh!” A soft, lilting voice spoke from behind him. “Oh my goodness—are you alright? Sir?”

Kyuhyun let out a sigh and winced when he rubbed over a particularly sensitive spot on the apple of his cheek. He turned around to face the person whose foot he’d tripped over.

“Ah!” A short young man with brown eyes and a rather cute nose stared at him in shock. “You’re—you’re Kyuhyun! Oh my god, I’m so sorry, please forgive me!”

Kyuhyun stared at the man, who was now frantically bowing and apologizing to him, in bemusement. Then he remembered that he’d taken his sunglasses off.

“It’s alright!” Kyuhyun reached out and put a firm hand on the man’s shoulder to stop him from bowing again. “Really, it’s alright. I should’ve watched where I was going.”

The young man flinched and then blushed furiously. “A-ah…thank you.”

They stood in awkward silence for a moment, and then Kyuhyun decided to let go of the man’s shoulder so that he could (carefully!) put his sunglasses back on. “Are you a fan?”

“I am!” the young man responded eagerly. “My name is Junmyeon Kim. I really love all of your songs, and my brother is also a very big fan of yours.”

“Would you like an autograph?” Kyuhyun dug through his pockets for a sharpie.

“Oh, you don’t need to trouble yourself,” Junmyeon said quickly. “I was just picking up some sweaters.”

“Alright, if you’re sure.” Kyuhyun stopped digging through his pockets. He looked back at the young man, and then down at the two sweaters in the man’s hands. They were the same style, but in different colors. “Were you deciding which color you wanted to buy?”

“Ah!” Junmyeon looked down at his hands in surprise, evidently having forgotten what he was doing. “Um…yes, I was.”

Kyuhyun resisted the urge to lean forward and pinch Junmyeon’s cheeks. This guy was seriously way too cute to be real. “I think you should get the red one. It looks nice against your skin tone.”

Junmyeon blushed darkly and hastily put one of the sweaters back on the shelves. “Thank you.”

“It was no problem. Please, don’t let me bother you. I’m here to pick up a few sweaters myself.” Kyuhyun smiled kindly at Junmyeon, who appeared to be rapidly advancing on his journey to become a very cute tomato.

“N-no! This was all I needed…it was nice meeting you!” And with that, Junmyeon took off out of the sweater area, leaving Kyuhyun smiling in amusement behind him.

“Junmyeon Kim, huh?” Kyuhyun shook his head and turned his attention back to the mountain of sweaters that he’d face-planted in. Now that he wasn’t clutching his face in pain any more, they actually didn’t look half bad.

 

 

 

 

 

Three months later, Kyuhyun was running up the steps to his boss’s office. Today, he was supposed to meet the new artist he was going to be collaborating with for the next two months, but he’d woken up late this morning and was in a rush to get to the meeting.

Kyuhyun burst into the room and smiled weakly at his boss as he slid into his seat at the table while his boss gave him a stern glare in response. He straightened up in his chair and tried to catch his breath as his manager entered the room in a much statelier manner behind him and shut the door.

“As I was saying,” his boss continued, “Since Kyuhyun has so kindly joined us, Mr. Kim please have the pleasure of meeting our star artist, Kyuhyun.”

Kyuhyun looked down the table and started in surprise when he saw one Junmyeon Kim looking back at him with wide eyes.

“As I’m sure your company has informed you, you and Kyuhyun will be collaborating on a new pop ballad.” His boss went on to talk about the song they were collaborating about, but Kyuhyun tuned him out; he’d already heard this talk before, and his manager would fill him in on anything important that he’d missed.

Instead, he focused on Junmyeon. Junmyeon looked a little star struck as he listened attentively to the CEO. Junmyeon glanced over at him once, but then promptly looked away with a blush highlighting his cheeks.

When the presentation was over and everyone began packing up there things, Kyuhyun slid out of his seat and walked over to Junmyeon. Junmyeon was talking to his manager and didn’t notice him for a few moments until Kyuhyun politely cleared his throat.

“K-Kyuhyun!” Junmyeon squeaked in surprise. He bowed quickly and turned to give Kyuhyun his full attention. “I’m so sorry, I didn’t see you there.”

“That’s alright,” Kyuhyun said soothingly. “It’s nothing to worry about.”

“If you say so.” Junmyeon bit his lip anxiously, and Kyuhyun fought down the urge to run his thumb over the bow of Junmyeon’s mouth. Honestly, it should be illegal for anyone to be this adorable.

“So since we’ll be working together for the next few months, how would you like to get a drink with me sometime? To get to know each other better.”

“Oh!” Junmyeon reflexively glanced over at his manager, who was doing a poor job of appearing nonchalant while eavesdropping. “I…I’m not…”

“I’m sure there’s space in your schedule,” Kyuhyun said persuasively. “After all, it’s only one night.”

Junmyeon hesitated for a few more moments and finally agreed. “You’ll—you’ll have to let me know when you want to meet. Especially since you’re the busier of the two of us.” Junmyeon laughed nervously and looked down at the ground. Kyuhyun wanted to coo at him and pinch his cheeks.

“Of course. Just give me your number and I’ll let you know.” Kyuhyun smiled kindly at Junmyeon and pulled his phone out. Junmyeon glanced over at his manager again and then quietly told Kyuhyun his contact details.

“Kyuhyun!” Kyuhyun’s manager tapped his shoulder. “We have to head to the radio station now.”

“Of course.” Kyuhyun tucked his phone back into his pocket and winked at Junmyeon. “I’ll see you around.”

The apples of Junmyeon’s cheeks turned bright pink, but nonetheless, he gave Kyuhyun a small smile before turning away. Kyuhyun hummed softly to himself as he followed his manager out of the building. Of course, he had no idea what Junmyeon was really like, beyond his overly-polite mannerisms and adorable face. Yet, he couldn’t help looking forward to grabbing a drink with Junmyeon.

 

 

 

 

It took a while for them to be able to meet again. Their collaboration wouldn’t be published for another four months, and was in danger of getting pushed back further as Junmyeon’s company wanted him to release another collaboration with one of their own artists. Their companies argued back and forth with each other, but Kyuhyun took comfort in that he had Junmyeon’s number, and that they texted each other frequently enough. As the weeks went by, Kyuhyun had discovered that Junmyeon, in addition to being adorable, was also one of the kindest people he’d ever met. Junmyeon was always worrying about his friends and family, and always spreading himself thin trying to take care of the people around him. However, Junmyeon also made sure to take care of himself, and Kyuhyun found himself falling harder. So not only was Junmyeon a carrier of good sense, but he was kind and also the most adorable man to grace the face of the Earth—in other words, the Whole Package.

Kyuhyun groaned and buried his face in his hands. His manager glanced over at him from the driver’s seat of the car they were in, but made no comment. He was used to Kyuhyun being in some personal crisis or other at this point.

His phone pinged, and Kyuhyun reluctantly left the shelter of the inside of his palms and pulled his phone out of his pocket to look at his Line notifications.

Junmyeon Kim: Hey, you’re in Tokyo this coming week, aren’t you?

Kyuhyun hesitated a moment. How had Junmyeon known? Perhaps he’d mentioned it in passing a while ago.

Kyuhyun: Yeah, I am. Why?

Junmyeon: I’ll be in Tokyo too! \(^~^)/ We should meet up!

Kyuhyun: Oh really? That’s awesome! We really should. When will you be free?

Junmyeon: Thursday evening?

Kyuhyun turned to his manager. “Hey, do I have anything on Thursday evening?”

“I told you this morning, you have all of Thursday and Friday off,” his manager replied.

“Thanks.” Kyuhyun turned back to his phone.

Kyuhyun: Sounds good to me. Should I get you from wherever you’re staying? We can go get a drink ;)

Junmyeon: Haha okay.

“Kyuhyun, we’re here let’s go.”

Kyuhyun looked up in surprise and realized that his manager had parked their car. “Coming!” He quickly pocketed his phone and exited the car. He was really looking forward to Thursday night.

 

 

 

Now, if this was some clichéd fanfiction, Junmyeon and Kyuhyun would be staying in the same hotel and would proceed to get it on rather quickly after their night out. Unfortunately, this is one, but that doesn’t happen. Instead, on Thursday night Kyuhyun picked Junmyeon up from his hotel, a fifteen minute drive from the place he was staying at. They went to a bar and bought a few drinks. Kyuhyun teasingly asked Junmyeon if he wanted to dance, and laughed when Junmyeon blushed and shook his head furiously in response. Instead, they talked about all kinds of things, half of which Kyuhyun could almost remember, but not quite from the haze of alcohol. At three in the morning, they left the bar and returned to their prospective hotels.

Kyuhyun was nodding off in the back seat when his phone went off. He blearily rubbed at his eyes and pulled his phone out of his pocket.

Junmyeon: I had a lot of fun tonight.

Kyuhyun rubbed at his eyes with the back of his hand before replying. Yeah me too. We should meet up again :3

Junmyeon: I’m only here until tomorrow…hopefully we can meet again in Korea!

Kyuhyun: :( Hopefully…

Kyuhyun fell asleep in the back seat of his car with a small smile on his face. He woke up the next morning, still crumpled awkwardly in the backseat and rolled his eyes. He quietly prayed that his driver hadn’t posted a picture of him drooling on Instagram, but he wasn’t hopeful; the people he worked with loved to to death. Sighing, Kyuhyun stretched his arms over his head and arched his back. He pulled his phone out of his pocket and glanced through his notifications; nothing too important jumped out at him, and Kyuhyun reluctantly opened the car door and clambered outside into the cold morning air.

He groaned when the sun’s rays struck his eyes and ducked his head to stare at the ground. He hadn’t drunk that much last night, but his head still throbbed and his pulse pounded in his forehead. He quickly shuffled into the hotel and let out a sigh of relief when he entered the gentle ambiance of the hotel. Luckily, his lift was empty and he didn’t have to deal with anyone as he slipped away into the safety of his hotel room. He knocked back a glass of water and began rummaging through his suitcase for painkillers when his phone went off.

Kyuhyun winced at the blaring tone and picked up without checking who was calling. “Hello?” He cradled his phone between his ear and his shoulder as he ped his suitcase and began taking his clothes out.

“There’s been a change in your schedule. I’m picking you up tonight to go back to Korea. Management has decided on a date for your and Junmyeon’s collaboration and they want the two of you to start working on it,” his manager informed him matter-of-factly.

“Oh?” Kyuhyun did a fist pump when he found the little round bottle. “Okay. I’ll be ready. What time do we leave?”

“Eight o’clock.”

“Alright, I’ll see you then.” Kyuhyun let his phone slide off his shoulder and ended the call. He took two pills out of the container and went to the bathroom to get another glass of water. It looked like he and Junmyeon would be meeting up sooner than either of them had anticipated.

 

Working with Junmyeon was a challenge. Junmyeon had a wonderful personality, as Kyuhyun knew, but Junmyeon was obviously more than a little starstruck and intimidated to be working with someone as renowned as he was in the entertainment industry. It didn’t help that the composer of the song was incredibly particular about his art, and yelled at Junmyeon every time Junmyeon sang a note out of key or with the wrong feeling. Kyuhyun also got his fair share of yelling, but he had long learned to bear harsh criticisms, and although he was also struggling to keep his spirits up, he hid it far better than Junmyeon.

After a particularly trying session with the composer, Kyuhyun gently pulled Junmyeon over to the side. Junmyeon’s eyes were overly bright and his lips kept twitching slightly.

Kyuhyun handed Junmyeon a packet of tissues and turned away so that Junmyeon could wipe his eyes.

“I’m done,” Junmyeon whispered softly. Kyuhyun felt his heart break a little bit at the vulnerability in Junmyeon’s voice. He turned around and reached out to wrap Junmyeon up in a hug.

Junmyeon let out a squeak of surprise, but then tentatively relaxed against Kyuhyun’s chest. Kyuhyun rubbed soothing circles into the small of Junmyeon’s back as they stood there in silence for a few minutes.

At last, Junmyeon pulled away with a quiet sigh. “I’m sorry.”

“There’s nothing to be sorry for,” Kyuhyun said seriously. “Junmyeon, you’re a very talented artist. Otherwise, we wouldn’t be collaborating at all. You may not be my equal when it comes to experience or popularity, but you have to believe in yourself a little. You’ve gotten this far because of your talent, right? So let it carry you a little farther. Please don’t take our composer too seriously; like you, he’s just trying to make his art perfect. You’ve got to believe in your own abilities. Okay?” Kyuhyun gave Junmyeon a comforting smile.

Junmyeon let out a weak laugh and looked away. “Why do you always—never mind.” Junmyeon shook his head and looked back at Kyuhyun, the corner of his mouth twitching upward. “Thank you.” Kyuhyun stiffened in surprise when Junmyeon leaned back in and squeezed his arms around his waist. “Thank you,” Junmyeon murmured again, his voice muffled against the collar of Kyuhyun’s shirt.

“You’re welcome.” Kyuhyun patted Junmyeon’s back comfortingly.

“Kyuhyun…”

“Yes?” Kyuhyun let his hands settle on to the small of Junmyeon’s back.

“We haven’t been able to meet outside of work for a few weeks,” Junmyeon said softly. “I was wondering if you’re free tonight? We could go get dinner or something.”

Warmth tugged at Kyuhyun’s heart, and he couldn’t help the smile that bloomed across his face. “That would be great,” he agreed. He didn’t quite know where this thing with Junmyeon was going; he knew that he liked the younger man, but he wasn’t sure of Junmyeon’s preferences. But he would be happy with what he had for now; with Junmyeon in his arms and a promise of time together in the near future, Kyuhyun felt a wave of happiness wrap around his heart—just like a warm fuzzy sweater.

Fin