Unexplainable

Love, Haneul (사랑의, 하늘)

It was the morning of a beautiful Friday, my idiotic brother was in my damn room for no reason!

“What are you doing bastard?!” I shouted at him and threw one of my stuff toys, he laughed maniacally. “Get out!”

“No, you hid or took my favorite shirt away!” he crossed his arms and pout like a little kid. “Tell me before I take your uniform away.”

“Is that all you can do?” I mirrored his posture, “Plus, your favorite shirt is still in the dryer, why don’t you get your up and take it.”

 

There was a lightbulb on top of his head, “Right, I forgot mom washed it. Thanks sis.”

“ you too.” I threw him my pillow until he shut the door.

I went down and as usual Minseo was waiting for me, “Hey there sleepy head, we’re late for school.”

“Hey, let’s go before dad tells us to carry the plants outside.” I dragged her out of there.

 

In the library, Minseo suspected that Sungjoon might have a slight interest in me. I wanted to deny but I don’t want to, I didn’t like to argue a lot. After out little pep talk, Jongdae joined in, “News says that Sungjoon has a crush on you.”

“Why does everybody keep on saying that, no he does not and both of you go back to your work.” I turned away before things would get worst. I scoffed at the nonsense, Sungjoon? No, we just met.

 

“Hey Haneul,” Jongdae joined me in arranging the books. “I want to tell you something.”

“What is it?” I didn’t bother to care, I was thinking about something else.

“My girlfriend has been bugging me out lately, she kept on asking me everytime I hang out with you guys. You guys are way better because you act like… like yourselves.” He sighed and sat on the floor. It was the first time I saw him that frustrated -- and whining. I was glad that no one was there to see him being like that. “So, what are you going to do?” I didn’t know what to say to be honest.

“I guess I have to break up with her,” he said like it was a simple thing to do. Jongdae has been with numerous girls, but his type of girl is when the girl looks like IU or Juniel. His current girlfriend looked similar to IU, sweet and innocent. But one you get to know her, she’s nosy and clingy.

 

“Look, its Ahra,” I act like I was shocked, the reaction from him was priceless. I laughed so hard that my tummy hurt, Jongdae groaned and sounded irritated and started tickling me. “You like that huh? Making fun of me,” he said as he kept tickling me.

“Stop, it hurts,” I let out a warning but still laugh at the same time.

“I won’t it’s to entertaining,” he kept on doing it until we stopped and faced each other. His hands were on my hips, we stared for a moment. It was – odd.

 

“Um, we better continue… books…” I stuttered. 

“I’ll see you when I see you,” he waved goodbye and ruffled my hair.

 

 

It was the time where Sungjoon and I hung out at the bubble tea store again, we both talked non-stop. He was great, the perfect guy… this unexplainable feeling has been giving me the chills.

 

What was it?

 

“So, wanna walk at the beach? It’s not far from here, we can walk there.” He suggested, of course I agreed. It wasn’t really far, just like walking casually to a nearby store. It seemed like the whole world just disappeared and it was just me and him, there was a moment where I would want to hold his hand but my hand would burn and fade away like dust.

“So, when’s the carnival?” he asked, I kept forgetting about the summer school carnival. I am even one of the active members of that club!

 

“It’s one day before summer,” I answered. He nodded, slightly amused by the time. When we reached the beach, there were people still lying and it was already sunset. “You know what, people say that when you make a wish during sunset, it will come true.”

“Really? Let’s make one then.” He closed his eyes, I did the same.

 

I wish to… I don’t even know.

 

“Have you made a wish?” he looked at me, anticipating for my answer.

“Yeah, you?”

“Yup, wanna know?”

“We’re not supposed to tell our wish,” I chuckled.

“I do.” Both of his hands reached on to my arms, he took a step forward and pressed his lips against mine. The slow movements made time slow down, the feeling of happiness and confusion as I couldn’t tell what was going on in his mind.

He stopped for a moment, his eyes were staring right into my soul. That sounded creepy.

 

“I like you, Kim Haneul.”

 

 

At night, I lay on bed and gazed out my window. The view of the city lights, lit up the sky from afar.

The stars above today were not visible, only the full moon could. My phone vibrated, I looked at it as the screen lit up and I stood up to get it across the room. It was a message from Sungjoon.

 

Bang Sungjoon (10:25PM)

Hey, you awake?

 

Kim Haneul (10:30PM)

I am now >.<

 

Bang Sungjoon (10:30PM)

So...

I have to go now~ I'll see you soon ^^ ily.

 

I didn’t know what to say, I stared at the screen for a moment. He bravely confessed to me his feelings, I felt stupid for not replying him back. I do, I really do but it wouldn’t come out like word vomit.

Maybe it was because I was too afraid.

 

The last time I was in a relationship, I was 13 years old. The guy who I had a huge crush on was in the other class, he and I started talking and texting until he confessed and I took a risk and made him my first.

We lasted for a month, ever since I didn’t want to be in a relationship anymore. To put that into a dramatic effect, I started having a fear of commitment. Jongdae would always tell me that there would be that man who’d break that fear, if he’s the one of course. But I still don’t believe in that.

 

Sungjoon was different.

Whenever we meet, I was always excited and I would listen to every crap he has to say. Even though his jokes were a bit funny but he made an effort. What I did was to choose not to answer his text, I am going to give it a day.

 

To Be Continued