Stranger's Cafe

Stranger's Cafe

There is something about the cafe simple exterior that had me drawn in from some reason. It's nothing special really, same old block wood motif with brown walls, different kind of paintings on the wall, creating a nice abstract feeling of the place. 

It's not crowded, only a few people who  go in and out, the soft jingle of the bells creating a mellow hum in the busy street of Hongdae.

I got inside, the smell of coffee hitting my nose instantly. The smell is comforting and peaceful to my somewhat tired brain.

"Hi, welcome to Stranger's Cafe, what can I get for you?" Said the petite woman at the counter. She had an easy smile on her lips.

I'm feeling slightly bitter over my job which I am just fired for and so I opted for something bitter. "Americano please"

She punched in a few more before giving me the receipt and asking me to wait for it for a while.

I wondered around the cafe. There's a guy hovered over his laptop, couple of teenagers having an intense game of cards, a girl reading a book by the window. It's nothing unusual. I sat at the far end right of the cafe.

I drum my fingers on the hardwood table, struggling to think of what will I do with my life. I just lost my job, my little brother needed help and there was no way in hell I'd ask my parents for money.

Ever since the day my parents disowned my brother for being a special child, they disowned me too. At the age of nineteen years old with my brother sixteen, we left the house and for four years, I had been the one taking care of him; I can't leave him, not in his state. I can't turn my back to him because he's my brother, special or not. I love him and I'd rather suffer than see him get away from me. And I don't want to give my parents the satisfaction of me having to ask them for money just because I can't handle him anymore.

I can handle him. I have to.

I breathed out hard, trying to control the prick in my eyes. I can't cry in a public place.

I opened my eyes and the woman sitting by the window is now walking towards the other side of the cafe, in her hand is a paper. She opened one of the panel woods in the cafe and I could see more notes in there, kept and hidden in the eyes of the people inside the cafe. I wouldn't even have noticed it if I didn't look at what she was doing.

"Fascinating isn't it?" The guy murmured in front of me, scaring me out of my wits. He handed me my drink and I thank him quietly.

"Wh-what are those things?" I asked timidly, gesturing at the wall which contained the letters.

"It's a letter box in here I guess. You write your problems in a piece of paper, put them there and try to hope that the same could be happening to your problems. You don't have to go by your name, mostly people who write their gives off nicknames."

I looked up at him in interest. "Why would you write names?"

"Some people answer back to your problems. Like try to give you a solution. We collect it every day, and then give the letter to that person. It's a kind of pen pal if I must say except you're not miles away from the people you're talking to." He smiled kindly at me. "Sometimes people find it easy to vent out feelings to a total stranger."

The story is indeed fascinating. There is something alluring at the idea of tucking away my problems at the cold dingy place, even in just a piece of paper.

"Is your owner aware of this?" I asked, my fingers traced the cup rim.

He shook his head. I just noticed it but he was handsome, wearing a simple polo with apron over him.

"I should get going." He laughed quietly. "Enjoy your coffee and feel free to write up there."

I gave him a smile as he left.

I pursued my lips. It wouldn't hurt to try. I pulled out my notepad and pen and began to write.

-----

My brother just had another one of his fits again. My cheek throbbed at the impact of his arms hitting me. It hurts.

I managed to calm him down with a pinwheel and now he's sleeping soundly at the apartment.

I know I shouldn't have gone but I badly needed air. I needed time to think and somehow, my feet led me back at the cafe I had been two weeks ago.

The smell inside soothes my insides, calming me. A new girl on the counter smiled at me and asks for my order.

"Green Tea Cream" I opted for something sweet with a hint of bitterness inside.

I was about to go to my usual place when a guy called me back.

"You're Tris, in the letter right?" He asked and I realized he was the same guy I had talk to when I was here.

I nodded my head cautiously. He produces something from his apron pocket then chuckled,

"Looks like someone wants to solve your problem." He handed me a simple paper with Tris written in illegible writing.

I raised my eyebrows. Someone read my letter?

"Thanks." I smiled at him. He smiled back then he returned to the counter.

I sat at my chair wondering if I should open the letter or not. I was excited and a little but scared. Who would read my letter?

My order arrived and I braced myself, opening the letter bit by bit until it was sprawled on the table.

Hi Tris,

I must say this is also my first time writing back to someone I didn't know, but your letter caught my attention.

The way you describe your brother, I could tell he's a lovely guy. I hope in the future, I would get to meet him.

It's a bit creepy right? Getting a letter to a complete stranger I don't even know why I'm doing this.

I guess I just wanted to say that don't give up. People carry different burden every day. You may never know that maybe the guy you bumped with just had a cancer or something. What I'm trying to say is that, you're not just the only one out there and whatever problems you may encounter, face them. Because facing them means conquering them. I'm sorry haha. I just speak like an old man.

Till then,
PCY

I wiped a tear that escaped from my eyes. Who was this sweet person? How can he say the right words and sound like he meant them?

I understand now why the people in the cafe encourage the letters. It's not just about the feeling of excitement whenever someone writes back to you. It's also the feeling that someone out there feels the same way as you do. Someone out there ready to give his sympathy to a complete stranger like this PCY person.

I asked for a pen and a paper and immediately write back.

-----

I just got home from my job and I was doing some grocery shopping for some necessities needed in the house when I remembered Stranger's Cafe and my letter.

I smiled at the guy who talked to me, who I learned to be named as Minseok. I ordered a Frapuccino for takeout.

"Any letters for Tris?" I asked Minseok, somehow feeling excited.

Minseok raised his eyebrows at me and I can't blame him. He must think I'm so thirsty for attention of this PCY. Whoever that person is.

He handed me the letter. It's the same paper as the last time; his illegible script is still the same.

I got home grinning like a kid and waited till my brother, Sehun fall asleep before sitting down the couch and opening PCY's letter.

Tris,

I didn't expect you to write back actually. You're a girl and I knew how some can be overly cautious on things. I wouldn't blame you if you're planning to never write back. I sound like a complete creep by my first letter haha. I'm a guy, you don't need to be confuse on your honorifics, I don't think you should be needing it, I'm 23 by the way. I would guess we're just the same age. It's just a guess. 

And congratulations on getting a job again I told you to don't give up. I must say I'm impressed at how fast you caught yourself up. You must be so determined to give your brother a proper life I admire you for that. How is he doing anyway? I'm sorry if I sound intruding but it's just your life are far more interesting than mine. I had a big sister but she's married now so I'm just the only child again. 

And I'm working too thank you for asking. I don't want to ask this but where are your parents? You can choose not to answer this. I won't mind.

Thanking you for the letter,
PCY

I pursued my lips uncertainly. It's fun to receive letter like this. I get the attention I don't get from anyone but spilling out has never been my thing.

When I started to work for my brother and myself I started to build walls around myself. I need to be tough for both of us. I need to lock away all my emotions somewhere inside me for safekeeping.

But PCY told me I could keep it. I could still choose not to tell him.

I looked back at the letter in my hands contemplating. He's a stranger anyway. What's the harm done? The chance of us meeting is just too small.

I grabbed my pen and began to reply back to him.

-----

Three months had passed by quickly. Stranger's Cafe had been my isolation to my hectic world. PCY had been someone I had managed to befriend and now I could say he's someone who I can rely my problems with without having the fear of being called weak. He always understands me.

Today I had closed of a deal at my sector which means I would get a commission at the end of the month and I could celebrate Sehun's birthday more extravagantly. The thought of my brother's smile brought smile to my face.

Minseok handed me my drink with a smile and he slipped the letter from me.

"You've been writing to this person for months maybe you should meet him now." He said, his eyebrows wiggling suggestively.

I laughed at his gesture but I waved him off. "We're just friends Minseok."

He didn't say anything but he had a knowing look on his face and I shook my head at his childishness.

I opened the letter, a little giddily if I may add. I wouldn't deny but sometimes this PCY guy could make my heart stop at his words. Maybe it's because of the sincerity of his words. And the way how he always knew what to say even at my most difficult moments.

Tris,

I don't know how you could make me laugh at your words. I never knew you had this joking side of you. It's nice. I've never seen you so happy so much throughout the times we write to each other. I like you being happy all the time. I mean, every person deserves to be happy... yeah.

It's Sehun's birthday next month right? I wanted to give him a present if that would be okay with you. And tell him good job for finishing the puzzle I gave him last week. I gave Minseok another set of puzzle and tell Sehun to finish it before his birthday for me to give him another puzzle. It's a thousand piece puzzles so... he might want to get started right away. I'm a bad hyung haha!

Anyways, all I could ever seem to talk about is Sehun. How are you? How is your job doing? You always talk about Sehun so let's start talking about you.

Tell Sehun, hyung said hi,
PCY

I couldn't stop the grin on my face. My heart is plummeting on my throat. I couldn't speak. 

I looked up and found myself looking at an impossibly handsome man who had his laptop open in front of him. He looked startled that I caught his eyes and I probably do too but he waved a little and returned back on his work so I looked back down again at the letter in my hands and began to smile like an idiot again.

Who is this guy? And what is he doing to me?

-----

I'm going steady. Everything is steady around me and me wanting to be in control of the situation I like to keep it that way.

PCY and I still talk though it had been less frequent because of our busy daily lives, we still kept in touch. There is something brewing between us. I knew it, I'm not dumb.

It scares me a bit because this is not something I can't control. And it scares me because everything about us is uncertain. There are too many loose cords and one pull of the right string and everything will fall apart.

But I let it. Because he's probably the only unsure thing I had. Keeping me balanced and on my feet.

PCY's letter, clutched tightly in my right hand while my left is Sehun's hair. My brother is so handsome and if he's just normal as any other kid, I knew lots of girls would probably mill over him.

I clutched my right hand tighter,

Tris, 

I know this would seem pretty stupid and believe me I thought about this for how many days, thrashing on my bed to come up with a possible explanation of why I'm feeling this.

I like you. Like really like you more than just a friend and as a person. I know you would doubt it and I totally understand it. I'm just needed to get this out of me because I think I'm going crazy thinking about it.

I'm sorry if the confession came out of nowhere but I guess it's just hard to confess to someone I don't really meet on my daily basis life. But what I said is true. Every single word of it. I hope you'll believe me.

Please, give me a chance,
PCY

Just how could I answer to that?! I glared at nothing in particular.

I'm not mad at him for liking him. I'm mad because I'm feeling the same way as him too. And it’s supposed to feel wrong but everything just feels so right.

I don't want to be happy about it but somehow reading his words and reading again and again how he likes me. I had to stop myself from imagining his voice saying it to me. I didn't even know his voice for god's sake.

This can't be right. I can't fall in love with a stranger. Not like this.

It's just words anyone can write them to me, even Minseok! But I can't imagine someone writing to me other than PCY.

I decided not to answer him anymore. Whatever's happening. It has to stop.

-----

I didn't go back to the cafe anymore. If anything more, I avoided it. I couldn't even stare at it because all I can remember is the smell of coffee, the smell of his paper and ink. PCY.

It's the right choice. I kept telling myself again and again. It's right to end it while I still can.

And everything around me is too steady. Too steady to keep myself balanced and sane so I began to lose grip on how it felt like to live.

-----

I am with Sehun today. I took a day off to stay with him for the rest of the day.

He's ecstatic of the fact that we are going out. I never take him out these days in fear of him having his fit at the public but I figured I owe it to him for being so distant to him for the last month.

"Sojin, are we going to eat ice cream?" He never calls me noona. He was looking down on me while I tie his shoelaces.

"Yes, lots of ice cream and if you want you can also have your favorite." I winked at him.

"Bubble tea?" He said excitedly. His eyes forming crescents.

I ruffled his hair a bit, nodding my head off.

"Sojin shouldn't do that. Sehun wants to be handsome outside." He pouted at me.

I chuckled at him, looping my arms around his arms. "You're always handsome Sehun."

Han River is still breathtaking even on daylights. I was sitting at the shade of the tree while watching Sehun watched the bicycles around, the people around us, and basically everything. I could tell from his eyes that he's fascinated at everything he sees.

I let myself study him. Seeing his round face now gone, his sharp jaw line more defined that ever. His brown hair swaying at the wind. He looks so handsome and innocent, sitting with his eyes wide in awe.

Then I suddenly thought how PCY would look like if I actually met him.

"Unnie, is that your brother? Can I uhm, take a picture with him?" The girl, probably a year younger than Sehun, interrupted my thoughts. Which is a good thing. I shouldn't be thinking about PCY anymore.

I looked at my brother then at the blushing girl in front of me. Sometimes I just forget that I'm not the only one who can see Sehun. I chuckled. Kids these days.

"Sehun, would it be okay if she take a picture with you?" I called over him.

He looked at me. Then at the girl who looked down. Then back at me. I tilted my head at the side.

"Okay!" He grinned. He stood up and put his hands on a peace sign, smiling a little slightly at the camera.

Sometimes it's just nice to imagine that he's a normal kid. 

"Wendy!" Someone called to my left.

The girl who was having her picture taken looked at the voice and I looked too.

I nearly froze in terror as I see who it is.

Minseok.

"Sojin?" He asked in surprise, he hug me being a friend that he is- was but I couldn't. 

He's here again. He's the closest person I have ever been with PCY and somehow having him here feels like I'm back being that giddy girl, waiting for this PCY guy to reply to her back.

"It's been months!" He said, holding me at arm's length. But it was yanked off immediately by Sehun.

"Don't touch my noona like that!" He growled. It's the first time I've ever heard him call me noona. His pupils are dilated and he's breathing heavily.

I gasp in shock. No not a fit. Please.

I held his face, forcing him to look at me. He can't. I can handle him. "Sehun, baby brother, it's me Sojin. It's okay. He's my friend, his name is Minseok. Friends do that, especially when they didn't see each other so long." I explained nervously, my hands trembling at his face.

His unfocused eyes stared at me. "He... he wouldn't hurt Sojin?" He asked.

"No" my voice trembled. "He wouldn't hurt Sojin. He would never. Now close your eyes and breathe. You count with me okay... okay Sehun?"

"Okay" he whispered. I counted slowly until five. I could feel his heart slowing down and his breath becoming normal again. I can handle this.

When he opened his eyes, he's back again to what he is earlier. He sat down again, marveling at the sight before him.

I glanced back at Minseok who was gaping at him in shock. Wendy took a step forward to me, eyes curious.

"Is he sick?" She asked meekly.

I couldn't answer her. My throat just felt so dry so I just nodded.

She didn't run away like I expected her to. She stared at him, still in her admiration eyes. I've never seen anyone look at Sehun that way. Not even my parents.

"You didn't come back." Minseok said his arms limply at his side.

I shrugged. I didn't tell him my reason as to why I stop coming. I ignore his calls his texts because I know they would be all for PCY. And I just want him gone. Not because I want to but because I have to.

"I take it he's your brother?" He asked, gesturing at Sehun who's now talking to Wendy excitedly.

I sighed and nodded. He didn't say anything.

"Minseok," I bit my lips. I know I'm reopening the hole but, "you knew who PCY is."

He nodded. "He kept asking me about you, you know. He kept coming back at the cafe just in case you just didn't want to write letters anymore. He wants to meet you. I could tell him where you live or what you true name is but I didn't because I'm your friend. What happen Sojin?"

I looked away from him. I couldn't answer him. PCY is searching for me. He wants to see me. He wants us to continue where we left off and here I am standing in front of Minseok, scared and angry that I can't find balance within myself.

It's so easy to say I like you too. Should be easy to say yes I like you too. But there are just too many doubts inside me. I had too many responsibilities to take care of. I'm not just with myself, I also have Sehun. I can't be selfish and choose him just because he makes me happy.

"I know you wouldn't answer but... will you accept this?" He handed me a piece of paper I knew too well. It's the same paper that's almost crumpled from being open repeatedly at my bedside desk.

Opening the hole is too much and accepting the letter would mean worse.

"Minseok" I plead, "don't do this."

He took my hand in his. "Sojin, you want this. I know you do and I'm asking you for once, choose yourself. Choose yourself to be happy." He kissed me in the forehead. It's the first kiss I'd ever receive again other than Sehun. I closed my eyes fighting my tears from coming down.

"Wendy, we have to go." Minseok said, letting me out of his hold. He left the letter in my hands, feeling like it weights a ton.

"Sojin, why are you crying?" Sehun asked when I sat down beside him.

I frantically wiped my tears away. Stupid tears. "It's nothing. Sojin is just happy that you found a friend."

"Wendy is Sehun's friend now?" He asked in awe. His eyes alighted. So innocent and naive. I wish I could be like that too. I nodded.

"Sojin smile now. Sehun won't smile until you do." He pouted his face to show me that he's being grumpy for my sake but somehow, his words pierced my heart.

I feel like even though there's Sehun and me. I have no reason to smile at all.

-----

Tris,

Minseok won't tell me everything, anything about you.

I'm having my engagement in two weeks, September 20 at the hotel. This is an arrange wedding by my parents for me. There’s the address on the invitation.

I'm not mocking you. I would never do that to you.

Tell me to don't go and I won't go. Just reply to me, even a simple no and I won't go. I'm going crazy, trying to find you, and I think I'll die if I didn't know you're okay. If you say you didn't want me then I'll continue this off. I'm giving you an invitation because I want to see you, even one last time before I got married.

If you say yes, please come. But I'm still hoping you'll say no. Tell me no Tris and I won't go. Just a two letter word, and I won't.

PCY

I had both of my hands on my lips, fighting off the sound, any whimper of despair to escape from it.

He's getting married. So what? He's just a stranger to me! He shouldn't affect me like what he's doing right now!

I shouldn't even be crying at how he begged me to say no. How can he beg me? Someone he had never met to break off his engagement like I'm meant something to him? 

My walls crumbled down and I allow the truth to flow into my brain. I love him. I have fallen in love with a stranger and it's the most complicated thing I had even encounter. How can I fall in love with him? Why him?

All this time I had been running away from him when the truth is I had just been running away from me. Because I'm scared of my own feelings for him. I'm scared at how much pull he has on me even though he's just a faceless individual to me.

Can I ruin something for him? Can I ruin his life? Can I choose to be selfish? For me I would choose for him to say no.

But I can't let him destroy himself for me. I can't let him ruin himself for something such as me.

I know myself and I'm not worth it. I'm not worth for someone like PCY.

Maybe it's just time to say goodbye to him. For these past months, I never really let him go. I just locked up his memory, for safekeeping.

It's funny how almost all the feelings I had for safekeeping aren't always for me. The only real things that's for me in there is the one with PCY written over it. And he balances my safekeeping box, just like how he did with my life.

"I'm sorry." I whispered to the stillness of our living room, somehow hoping to reach it to where he is right now.

I didn't open his invitation.

-----

He erased his name in the invitation he gave me, putting a simple PCY. Why would it matter if I found out his name? There's not much difference about it.

The girl's name is Nam Hyemi. I wondered how did they meet? What does she look like?

Wendy, Minseok's sister is at my house along with Sehun's nurse. I had no idea what I'm doing and I'm starting to think I'm just a plain masochist person because here I am walking to the hotel, to the pavilion where the engagement will take place.

The receptionist took my invitation and allowed me inside.

I breathed in awe as I look around. The place is one of those places my parents used to tag me around, displaying as a porcelain daughter to everyone.

The place is breathtaking, white roses petals splashed around the place along with white balloons. Blue roses accentuated the table. The aisle had a red carpet like this is where the wedding will take place.

I didn't dare to look at the marquee. Afraid to see who PCY is or if I would get to see him there.

Everyone is talking to someone and I've never felt so alone in my life.

Then I saw a woman in a white simple dress, everyone is hugging her, congratulating her and telling her she looked beautiful.

She is. She does. 

She caught my eye and smiled slightly. I know she doesn't know me but she's just trying to be polite with me but as our eyes collide I see her with him, my PCY stranger, holding hands with him, hugging him, kissing him, doing all the things I will never get to do if I let him go.

You already learned how to let go. How about you learned how to be selfish as well?

PCY's suggestion echoes within me. Rattling me. Shaking me out of my wits.

This girl, Hyemi, can I wipe out her smile for me? For my selfish reasons could I do that?

All my life I had never been worth of anything. Not worth enough for my parent's to keep my brother by my side, not worth enough for the job for being young, not worth enough to be notice by my relatives.

I'm asking you for once Sojin. Choose yourself. Choose yourself to be happy.

I ran away. I needed air. Everything is suffocating me. Everything is too much to bear.

I opened the door to one of the garden outside the pavilion and there I breathed long, savoring the cold air in my lungs.

When I opened my eyes I saw him.

He's wearing a white tuxedo, his head down; he has a silver shade of hair. Shivers went up through me for an unknown reason and I find myself dragging myself to him.

I see this stranger holding my hand, wrapping his arms around me, protecting me from everything. I see myself with him and I think I'm going crazy but,

"PCY?" I manage to choke out.

He looked up slowly and when his eyes focused on mine. I am lost. His eyes gravitated me in the most impossible way, immobilizing me. Freezing me. Then melting me again.

He smiled in recognition and time slowed down.

He's not just a faceless stranger anymore. He's not just paper and ink. He's here in front of me, flesh and real. And I realized he's the guy I saw hovering on his laptop. The one who waved at me. He's just right there in front of me.

"I'm Chanyeol." Was the first sentence he uttered to me. His voice is much lower than I imagined to be.

His eyes still locked mine and I think I lose all my will to let him go.

Choose yourself to be happy

"Don't" A tear escaped from my eyes. And I blinked them furiously. I'm afraid that if I close them long enough, he'd be gone.

"Don't go Chanyeol." I sobbed. I'm too overwhelmed at the fact that he's real, he's right in front of me and he's not just a figment of my imagination and that he loves me even without knowing me.

He stood up and touches my face like he's afraid of me too. He's still impossibly handsome even in darkness. 

"Tris" he murmured and he enveloped me in his arms. The warmth, the perfume and the texture of his suit, he's really here. I feel like my lungs would burst in so much air, so much beating.

"Sojin. Oh Sojin, Chanyeol." I tried to say between sobs. I'm scared. Now that I felt him around me I suddenly felt scared to lose him. It's here where the cords will collapse or continue holding on.

"Sojin" he try my name on his tongue. He smiled kissing my tears away. "Stop crying. I won't go. I won't"

I clutched his hands, tilting my head on his smooth palms, trying to control my sobs. "I don't want to be selfish-"

"Stop crying" he said putting his finger in my lips. "I love you and I will choose you."

He trapped me in his hands, holding my face, steadying me for once in his presence. "You. Are. Worth. It."

I smiled through my tears. Allowing myself to be selfish for once.

I put his hands on his neck and he settles his on my waist. His touch burned everything in me.

"I'm Park Chanyeol" he grinned, showing me his smile that I think will be my favorite smile from now on. There in my top list beside Sehun's crescent eye smiles.

"Park Chanyeol," PCY I thought. "It's nice to finally meet you."

He stared at me in a way I don't recognize but I'm not scared anymore. He's always been like a wind to me. Unsure and unpredictable.

And he's just right for me because he keeps me balance with all the steadying I do with my life. I needed a little recklessness. And he is it.

I closed the distance separating us.

They say everyone will always be strangers to one another no matter how much you knew a person. I guess in a way, they're right. You could never tell if you knew the person too well or no. But I know one thing for sure, stranger or not, I'll be with Park Chanyeol. Simply because I love him. He completes me.

And if I have to be with a stranger for the rest of my life. I'm glad it's him.

END