Chapter 3.

Change

Ara came home to silence. Nothing was able to be heard apart from her quiet footstpes entering the kitchen to find yet again the plate of food she prepared for her mother. Her mother was no where insight so she heated the plate of food, sat down and ate it in silence.

'You're never here for me anymore.'

She quietly finished her food and changed into her pjs. She snuck into her parents room and slowly slid into the covers that were untouched. Ever since her father had died, her mother slept on the couch, in the spare room or never came home. The house was quiet. Not filled with the laughter and warm smiles of their once happy family.

"I miss you dad. Everything has changed since you went. The atmosphere has changed. Mum's changed. I've changed.'

------

Ara woke up in her parents room, rolled over and found her pillow stained and wet from tears. She wiped her face and got up to get ready for another day of school.

Second day of school and the seniors had to commence their first paird assessment. 

"Lucky for you class, you will be given your first senior assessment due in three weeks. Even luckier for you, I will be pairing you up." The professor smiled whilst all the students groaned. The professor started to read out the names of each pair and finally he got to Ara.

"Kim Ara, you will be with.... Jeon Jungkook," he smiled and looked up. Ara sighed and looked around to find the boy she was paird with. She saw the tall boy smiling, walking towards her.

"Hey Ara, I'm everywhere aren't I?" He chuckled slightly and sat down next to her. Before anything was said she bent down to grab something out of her bag. She placed Jungkook's jacket that he had given her on the table.

"Thank you," she mumbled quietly. He wholeheartedly smiled finally hearing her beautiful voice and said it was perfectly fine. 

"Would you like to work on this in the library today?" Jungkook suggested and Ara looked around avoiding his eyes. He tilted his head waiting for her reply. She simply nodded. He smiled.

"I'll meet you there Ara." With that, class ended.

------

Lunchtime rounded the corner. Jungkook was leaning against the doorway, waiting for his partner to arrive. Suddenly Ara arrived and stood in front of him quietly, still with that blank look of hers. 

"Hey, lets go in and start," he smiled and opened the door for her. She walked in, once again with no thankyou being said. They sat down on the far end of the library and nothing was being spoken aloud.

"Sooo, uhm. What would you like to write about for this English assessment? It says we can research anyone and write about their life and how they changed the society." Jungkook broke the silence explaining what their task was. Nothing left Ara's mouth, she just stared outside the window. Jungkook tried to get he attention again but suggesting people they could write about. As expected, his questions were answered with silence. The boy sighed and looked at the pale emotionless girl. During the first two days of knowing Kim Ara. Jungkook had been thinking of her all the time, getting as much infomation as he could about the girl. He found out that she was the only child in the Kim family. That she was bubbly, happy spirited girl and had obtained a scholarship into this prestige school. Ara was considered one of the top elite students and of course aced all her courses. She was popular and well liked by all her peers.

Jungkook also found out that this all changed rapidly in a blink of an eye during the summer. He found out her father had been battling with cancer for 3 years and lost the battle on the 27th of January. Jungkook noted that everything went downhill on this day. Not only had Ara lost her father physically, but she had lost her mother emotionally. People told Jungkook that Ara changed as a person physically and mentally. She became skinner and paler. She was no longer smiling. She was not the same Kim Ara everyone knew. She lost it. "She changed" was what everyone told Jungkook.

"Even if I don't know you Ara. I am sure that your father would want you to do well in your senior year like you did in your previous years of school. I don't think he wants you to be like this just because he is gone. Please don't be selfish and think about yourself. This is our project, there's me too. Do well for me and your father." Jungkook said a little irritated, not thinking what he said was a bit too harsh.

Her eyes widen. This new boy knew nothing about her and said this like he had known her and her father for years. Her big eyes became watery which Jungkook quickly noted. His face became panicked.

"Hey hey. I'm sorry. I take that back, I don't know anything. I'm so sorry. We can do this slowly." He quickly apologised.

"You're right, you know nothing about me or my family. Don't tell me what to do." With that she grabbed her things and left the library quickly. 'Oh god Jungkook, are you dumb? You're 17, you don't know anything about life. Or her. You don't know what she is going through."

------

For the rest of the day, Ara avoided Jungkook at all cost. The moment she saw him she headed into a different direction. Not wanting anything to do with the boy. It was once again the end of school and she headed to her locker. Noticing something different about it. There was a white piece of paper sticking out of her locker. She opened her locker and it fell out. Ara bent down and picked it up.

" I'm really sorry. Please forgive me, I didn't mean to say any of that. I take my words back.

-Jeon Jungkook"

Ara sighed, scrunched up the piece of paper and threw it back into her locker. 'I don't want anything to do with you Jungkook."

------