One Wish

A Peppero Day Story

 

She wanted to see him, she really did but circumstances wouldn’t allow it. Living life as an idol was not easy, it was never easy. Sacrificing your personal wants for your career, this was what being an idol was about. At ten years old she already knew what kind of things lay ahead of her in the career she chose. She knew it wasn’t easy, she knew there were sacrifices to be made but then she also knew dreams never came easy.

 

Lee Soonkyu, or rather Sunny as it is her stage name that is more commonly known, joined the music industry as a trainee when she was ten. You could say that at that age it’s a child’s naiveté that prompted her to join a glamorous world in such a cutthroat industry. But she knew what she was getting into, she always knew.

 

Sunny’s fell in love before but it was always her career that came first. That mindset often caused problems for her relationships. It first happened with her fellow label mate, Sungmin of Super Junior. They were hosting a radio program together and after a few weeks of meeting each other in the same room sparks began to fly. As soon as they began to date however, other things began to fly as well. Rumors upon rumors kept popping up everywhere and they both had different reactions on how they wanted to deal with them. Sungmin wanted to admit to the rumors, yes they were dating. Sunny was set on denying the rumors to preserve her still infantile career. This difference of opinion caused a fight and that fight ended their whole relationship with a sour note between the two.

 

The second time it happened it was also with another label mate, SHINee’s clumsy leader Onew. What began as a rather awkward few encounters developed into a flourishing bond between the two. Conflicting schedules however, kept them apart. Over time, the bond they developed diminished and soon they were nothing but acquaintances. Unlike her first relationship, this one ended on rather friendly terms with both parties agreeing to focus on their careers.

 

She met Beast’s main vocalist, Yang Yoseob, on a variety show earlier in the year. You could call it love at first sight but in this particular situation it was more like infatuation at first sight. They hit it off very well and were completely compatible together. They had so much in common it was uncanny. But their similarities were what tore them apart. At first, their similarities were what made them click so well together but soon they became predictable, boring even. Again, this relationship ended with mutual agreement, no hard feelings.

 

It was then that she saw him, Kim Sunggyu, the leader of the rookie group Infinite. She saw him before but disregarded him when they were still new, after all her career came first she didn’t have time to spend watching for newbies. Curiousity filled her when she saw seven boys come into her group’s dressing room. They politely bowed and introduced themselves as Infinite. One person in particular caught her attention, the leader. They were all so earnest, all so hardworking that it reminded her of their own group when they were just starting out.

 

Their eyes met and she felt her face heat up and her heart beat faster. She couldn’t tell if he could see her reaction but she was sincerely hoping he didn’t. He gave her a smile that could have melted her right then and there but she regained herself knowing that there were so many other people in the room as well. That was their first encounter.

 

Their second encounter was random; they suddenly bumped into each other when they were preparing for their performances. They both bowed politely when they saw each other. They were awkward, as most people that would be if they’ve only met someone once before. It was obvious though that they had the same reaction to each other. She liked him, he liked her. It was obvious to everyone except those two. They talked, they laughed, they became more comfortable with each other.

 

It wasn’t long after that they both began to date. But this time, Sunny felt something she didn’t feel in any of her previous three relationships. Before, she would never miss them, she would never check her phone for messages and she wouldn’t call them just for the sake of listening to their voice. This time around, she missed him, terribly so. It made her feel a bit hollow when she knew she couldn’t spend time with him. Her heart would sink whenever she checked her phone and she saw no new messages. She called him whenever she had free time and even though he might’ve been busy, he never let on. He sounded genuinely happy to talk to her.

 

Her group mates noticed the changes in Sunny and smiled. They always thought with her previous three failed relationships, Sunny would never find someone she loved more than her career. They smiled knowing that there was someone there that made her feel that way.

 

It is Peppero day today, a day in Korea in which couples exchange the Peppero snack. It was a tradition every year on November eleventh that couples exchanged them as the snack resembled the date. Sunny never indulged in this kind of day, she always said she was always too busy to do anything. The one day that she wanted to spend with him, Sunggyu, was the day they could not meet because of their heavy schedules. She even prepared a box of peppero to give him but couldn’t. She of course wasn’t expecting anything, none of her previous boyfriends indulged in days like these either so she grew accustomed to not expecting gifts on days like these.

 

Late at night, she was the only one awake among her nine members, at 11:11pm on November the eleventh she wished that it was a day she could have spent with him knowing that it was too late for that wish to come true. Five minutes later there was a knock on the door. Opening the door she found a man with a helmet on presenting her a box of Peppero saying it was express delivery. On the box of Peppero was a note.

 

Happy Peppero Day Lee Soonkyu. I love you. From Sunggyu.

 

She teared, the one day she wanted to spend with the man she loved she couldn’t because of work. Her wretched work that got in the way of everything. The man took off his helmet, revealing a very happy Sunggyu, and gave her a hug whispering I love you. Shock was her first reaction and then she melted in his embrace.

 

One wish was all she wanted ,to spend the day with him, Kim Sunggyu. And it appears that sometimes, wishes do come true.

 

 


 

A/n: I hope you guys like the one-shot ^^ This is primarily focused on Sunny. Stay tuned, I'll be posting up the version that's focused on Sunggyu next. And sorry if you spot mistakes, I didn't proofread ^^"