Chapter One

Before Children Had Wings
Please log in to read the full chapter

The sun was shining brightly that hot April day when Mirai first started her job at Fuji Senior High School.

Nervousness and excitement raced through her veins as she  dashed through the front gates and entered the main part of the school building.

Her mixed feelings quickly came to a halt once she was greeted by a strong mixture of cologne,and an overcrowd of male students scattered all over the hallway. Her stomach curled, nearly fainting from an overdose of cologne, but she managed to keep her cool and continued to walk down the hall.

Passing through a crowd of students, who occasionally bumped into Mirai without apologizing or even acknowledging her existence, she finally reached her destination.

The main office.

“Can I help you?” asked the disinterested receptionist behind the desk looking at paperwork, not even bothering to look up at Mirai.

“Uh, yes. I’m Shida Mirai.” she said introducing herself.

The receptionist glanced at Mirai and raised a brow. “Who?” she asked.

“I’m the new senior Japanese teacher here.”

Her lips curled into a small smile. “Oh, yes. Yes of course! Pardon my manners, I thought you were another crazy parent of one of our students.” She began to laugh and Mirai felt the need to let out a fake chuckle, despite not having a clue what was funny. “Principal Fujimoto’s office is the last door to the left down the hall. He’s waiting to see you.”

“Thank you,” she said while bowing.

She reached for the principal’s door and knocked twice.

“Come in,” said a deep hoarse voice.

Mirai opened the door and greeted the elder man behind the desk with a warm, bright smile.

“Good morning, Principal Fujimoto.”

“Good morning,”he said with indifference. His eyes were very dull. 

The principal signaled Mirai to sit and she did, plopping herself down in the closest chair. He pulled out a load of paper and handed it out to her.

“Here,” he said. “This is all the information you need about your students. These students are quite a hassle; some of them already have trouble with the law. I hope that fact doesn’t discourage you from teaching them.”

“Uh...no, of course not,” she said, skimming at the photos and info of her future students. Who am I to judge them? Most of them look as though they have a bit of a harsh past. I’ll guide them to the right path hopefully.

“Good,” he handed out another load of paper. “This is a research paper that every newcomer needs to read. You have the end of next week to read it all.”

Mirai nodded. “Yes sir, thank you.”

Principal Fujimoto began to sit up. “We’ll then, I think it’s time to start the school assembly. I’ll introduce you to the students. Come now.”

Mirai nodded. She stood up and followed after him, closing the door behind her.

“Good morning everyone,” said Principal Fujimoto, speaking into the mic on stage. “And welcome back from summer break. I see we have many new faces here. I welcome you also.”

One of the male students made a loud exaggerated yawn as the principal spoke. She glanced at him, irritated. She was even more irritated by noticing from the color of his badge that he was a junior. How can an upperclassman be so rude and disrespectful? she thought.  

“Now let’s begin a new school year by welcoming a newly hired teacher, Shida-sensei.”

Mirai quickly snapped out of her thoughts and rushed to the stage. She is greeted by Principal Fujimoto again before he handed her the mic.

“Good morning everyone,” she said cheerfully.

A few students mumbled a ‘good morning’, while the rest of them remained silent and indifferent.

I guess no one here is really a morning person…

She cleared . “I’m Shida-sensei. I always dreamed of becoming a teacher so I’m very excited to be here! Even though this will be my first time teaching, I will work hard and try my best to teach my students as best as I can. It’s nice to meet you all; I hope to build a great relationship with every one of you in the near future.”

Mirai ended her introductory speech with a bow, and she got off the stage and handed Principal Fujimoto back the mic.

After the school assembly was over, Mirai eagerly began to walk to her very first classroom. As she did, loud footsteps could be heard coming towards her. 

“Shida-sensei!” yelled an unfamiliar woman. The woman ran up to Mirai and gave her a stack of papers. “Principal Fujimoto forgot to give you this. It’s a questionnaire for teachers. Complete it by next week okay?”

Mirai nodded.

“I’m Saito Rena by the way. If you need any tips or advice then don't hesitate to ask me. I’ve been teaching here for seven years. I am the eyes and ears of this place. My room is right across from yours and good luck on your first day of teaching.”

“Thank you,” said Mirai, sm

Please log in to read the full chapter