II.

Rainy Days

                        “Oh my gosh! Did you see the look on the employee’s face when Gru zapped his arcade? That was so hilarious!” Yoseob was jumping up and down from excitement. “And Agnes is soooo cute! I can’t wait for it to come out on DVD. And then we have to watch it again!”

                        Doojoon chuckled and shook his head slightly. “You’re such a kid.” He pulled away Yoseob’s hood and ruffled the younger’s hair with his free hand. The other hand was holding an umbrella; it suddenly rained after the movie. Yoseob had gotten his yellow raincoat out from his backpack and had put it on. They were about to go into their favorite eatery when he spotted someone familiar sitting by the window of the coffee shop across the street. “Isn’t that…..Yejin?”

                        “Where?” Yoseob looked to where Doojoon was pointing and saw his girlfriend laughing with another guy. He felt like someone was squeezing his heart. He whipped out his phone and dialled Yejin’s number.

                        “Hello?”

                        Yoseob tried to keep his voice steady. “Where are you?”

                        “At home, studying. Why do you keep on disturbing me?” Yejin snapped.

                        Yoseob ended the call and gripped the phone tightly. “Studying, huh?” He marched to the coffee shop across the street, Doojoon close behind him. He entered the shop, his raincoat dripping wet.

                        “So this is your home, and you are studying,” Yoseob said, clenching his fists tightly.

                        Yejin stood up, surprise written all over her face. “Oppa! W-what are you doing here?”

                        “I went to see a movie with Doojoon because you were too busy studying and you couldn’t watch it with me,” Yoseob emphasized the word ‘studying’ with contempt in his voice. “Apparently, you were just too busy flirting with another guy!”

                        “I…I…”

                        “Save your excuses, Yejin. We’re over.” Yoseob turned to leave.

                        “Great! There’s something wrong with you anyway!” Yejin shouted.

                        Yoseob whirled around angrily. “What did you say?” he said through gritted teeth.

                        “Are you deaf? I said there’s something wrong with you,” Yejin said, her tone haughty. “I just can’t figure out what but there is. Aside from the fact that you’re so pathetic. Good riddance.” She snorted.

                        Yoseob opened his mouth but no words came out. His tears threatened to fall, so he stormed out of the coffee shop before they could. He would not cry, not in front of Yejin. She would just ridicule him more. That’s like rubbing salt in the wound.

                        Yoseob ran and ran, not even looking where he was going. The rain pelted his face; that and his tears made it hard to see. He was vaguely aware of Doojoon following him and calling his name, but he did not stop. He continued running until he felt a strong pair of arms pulling him. He looked up to see Doojoon hugging him to his chest; his friend had saved him from a car about to hit him. He broke down in Doojoon’s arms, letting all the pent-up anger and embarrassment and self-pity out.

~~~~~~~~

                        Yoseob grimaced at the memory. It had been five years, but it still hurt him like it just happened yesterday. He had never been with anyone else after Yejin, mostly because he didn’t want to get hurt again.

                        A light tap on the shoulder interrupted his thoughts. He turned away from the window to face his co-worker. “I’m leaving now. Do you want to hitch a ride or something?”

                        “I’m okay, Hyunseung, thanks.”

                        “Are you sure?” Hyunseung looked around. “You’ll be the only one left. Everyone else has gone home.”

                        “Yeah, I’m sure, thanks. I’ll also be leaving in a while.”

                        “Okay, then. Stay safe.” Hyunseung turned to leave.

                        “Thanks. You too.”

                        And with that, Yoseob was left alone with his thoughts once again.