I.

Rainy Days

                        It had been raining hard all afternoon. Yoseob sighed as he watched the rain from the window of his office. “How am I going to go home at this rate?” he grumbled to himself. “My car is still in the mechanic’s shop.” He looked at his watch. It was already 6 in the evening, and most of his co-workers have gone home. Only a few stayed.

                        Yoseob used to like rainy days. He used to not mind getting wet by the rain or getting mud on his shoes. Even in his late teens, he used to walk on puddles on purpose, delighted at the sight of splashing water.

                        But now, the rain cuts open an old wound that Yoseob had tried so hard to mend.

~~~~~~~~

                        In his long yellow raincoat, Yoseob looked like a minion from the hit movie “Despicable Me.” He had wanted to watch the movie since its release, but Yejin was always busy. He called her again that afternoon, hoping that she finally had some time to watch the movie with him.

                        She picked up after a short while. “Oppa, if you’re going to ask me to watch that stupid movie with you, I can’t, okay? I’ve got exams coming up and I have to study.”

                        Yoseob’s face fell. “O-okay. I understand, Yejin-ah. It’s just…I really want to see that movie and I was hoping you’d have some free time…”

                        “Some other time, okay?”

                        “But today’s the last showing day…”

                        “Well then, call someone else. You have friends, haven’t you?”

                        “But I wanted to watch it with you…”

                        “Quit being so stubborn, Oppa. Just call Dongwoon or Doojoon oppa, I’m sure they’ll go watch it with you.”

                        Yoseob didn’t answer. He heard Yejin sigh from the other end of the line. “You know how important my scholarship is, don’t you? If I fail just one class, it’s all over. I worked hard for this. Please don’t ruin it.”

                        Yoseob winced at Yejin’s sharp tone. “I…I understand. I won’t bother you again until your exams are over. Do well, okay?” He paused. “I love you!”

                        He heard a click, and the line went dead. He sighed and scrolled down his contacts list until he found Dongwoon’s number. He leaned back on the couch, pressed Call, and waited for his friend to answer. He thought about his conversation with Yejin a while ago, and he couldn’t help feeling a pang of jealousy. Her school activities were so much more important to her than he was, more than he ever was. He tried to understand the situation as much as he could, but he still couldn’t help feeling hurt.

                        Dongwoon’s voice on the line interrupted his thoughts. “Why’d you call, hyung?”

                        “Oh, I was wondering if you’d like to watch ‘Despicable Me’ with me.”

                        “You still haven’t watched it???” Dongwoon laughed. Yoseob frowned. “Where’s Yejin?”

                        “Busy. As usual.” Yoseob sighed. “Just come watch it with me, Dongwoon-ah,” he pleaded.

                       “I’ve watched it three times this week, hyung. THREE TIMES. Gikwang hyung keeps dragging me to watch it with him. So I’m sorry but no. I even see those yellow creatures in my dreams!” Dongwoon complained.

                        Yoseob sighed again. “I see. I’ll just ask Doojoon, then.”

                        “Okay. Bye, hyung! I’m really, really sorry.”

                        “Don’t worry about it, Dongwoon-ah.”

                        Yoseob sighed for the nth time and searched for Doojoon’s number.

                        “Yo, whaddup?”

                        “Doojoonie, can you watch ‘Despicable Me’ with me today? Please please please please,” Yoseob said.

                        Doojoon laughed. “You’re so childish. Where’s Yejin?”

                        “She said she’s busy.”

                        Doojoon clicked his tongue. “She’s always busy. Has that girlfriend of yours given any time to you lately?”

                        “No.” Yoseob thought about his conversation with Yejin again and frowned. “Anyway, just come watch the movie with me please please please.”

                        “I’ve got soccer practice until 5. Can you wait until then?”

                        “Yes! Let’s meet at the theater at 6?”

                        Doojoon chuckled. “Too excited, aren’t you? Okay, sure. Let’s meet at 6.”

                        The call ended and for a moment, Yoseob forgot his conversation with Yejin earlier. He was happy. He could finally watch the movie he wanted to see so badly. He got up from the couch, took a bath, and got dressed. Then he eagerly waited for two hours before going to the theater.