Facing the inevitable

Living Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Before Jessica knew it, they were zapped in front of Yoona's house. The place looked assuring in just one look. Or maybe it's the hand that is holding hers the most assuring. Her heart thudded loudly without any rest as her gaze descended over the cold hand her warm ones was enveloped. 

 

A small smile filled her lips as she recalled the kiss she shared with Yoona earlier. Finally Yoona chose to be with her. Jessica was filled with love at a mere act of declaration. The curiousity that clouded her mind was forgotten for a moment as she held Yoona's cold hand. The fact both her parents are magical creatures, and disregarding the fact they are cousins that married, do not trouble her at this moment.

 

The moment they reach upstairs, there was a significant number of faces missing including Irene, much to Jessica's glee. She didn't like that scientist vampire at all. Yuri, Taeyeon, Seohyun and the pair of newly sired vampires, Joy and Yeri, were the only ones around.

 

"Where are the others?" Jay voiced out the question Jessica wanted to ask.

 

"They are out there looking for friends." Seohyun muttered. She went to greet the newly arrived guests. "Welcome back to our home."

 

She pulled the three humans and made them sit on the couch. She gave Yuri and Taeyeon a meaningful gaze and they quickly understood what she meant so they took Yeri and Joy out, reasoning that they have some basic vampire rules to learn.

 

"Congratulations." Seohyun told Jay. "You just made the top of the list of Sooyeon's most hated people."

 

Jay shook his head. "Nah, I'm just second. Yoona will always have that top spot."

 

Yoona merely shrugged before moving at a high speed towards the newly purchased leather couch, slumping her body down and looking at the people across the room with a bored expression.

 

"Jessica may not be in a proper state of mind to wonder about this but how in the ing world did you have all those magic thingy, uncle?" Tiffany finally expressed her exasperation, closing and then opening repeatedly to form a decent sentence.

 

Jay took a deep breath before answering the question. "Just like how Yoona is a vampire and Seohyun a witch, I am also a non-human. I'm a wizard, a caster warlock to be exact."

 

Jessica shook her head in confusion. "What's the difference between a warlock and wizard then? And what's a caster?"

 

"Mages, the general term for the magical creatures, are divided into two: casters and cursers. Casters are mages who uses good magic while Cursers use dark magic." Jay started the explanation.

 

Seohyun watched their expression turn grim before starting her own explanation. "The females are called witches and the males are wizards. If you're a female caster then you're a caster witch. That wizard that Jay dealt with earlier was a curser wizard."

 

"But there are those people who are more powerful than a regular witch or wizard. They are the ones who know more magic, spells, potions, and many others.  They are called enchantresses and warlocks." Jay continued.

 

"So if you are a male curser of higher power then you're a curser warlock. In Jay's case, he's a caster warlock." Seohyun added.

 

"Though my power is not the same as Seohyun's." Jay humbly denied. "She's the most powerful enchantress I've ever met, and I'm taking about both the curser and caster community combined."

 

The two mages examined the faces of the three clueless humans sitting before them. On the side, Yoona can't contain the love stricken grin on her face as she watch Jessica contort her face into many expressions while digesting the whole story. She noticed Seohyun smirking back at her and saw what her mind was babbling about.

 

You are such a lovesick fool right now.

 

But Yoona didn't bother retorting to that claim because she knew Seohyun was right. She is a fool for Jessica and she wouldn't dare deny that. She was a depressed soul when she tried to fight the pull but now that she's embraced it, now that she's chosen Jessica, she's so happy that she doesn't care anymore whether she's going to hell or die at the hands of Sooyeon. Jessica chose Yoona and Yoona chose Jessica. They are destined for each other, mates for life, and an upcoming war can't keep them apart.

 

"You mentioned earlier that mom is your cousin." Jessica finally asked a question and it erased the smile off Yoona's face. This is something Yoona hoped Jessica won't go through- finding out the truth about her life, parents and purpose. "What's that supposed to mean?"

 

"It means exactly that." Jay admitted grimly.

 

"W-Why? H-How?" Jessica asked further.

 

Jay heaved another sigh. This will be a long night. "The Jung clan has been mating within their family tree for the longest time to keep the pure bloodline. The same goes for the Lees and Hwangs." He directed his gaze at Tiffany and Sunny.

 

"What?" Tiffany voiced her shock.

 

"You were a bit protective of Tiffany and I back at the car." Sunny noted calmly, remembering the absolute distaste of Jay to drive them back.

 

"The Lees and the Hwangs are two of the three magical families who decided to stay in Korea, the place where the eight magical families first arrived, from the pit. I guess the term is immigrated." Jay continued. "I know this is a lot to take in, but the three of you were born more than sixty years ago."

 

"How is that possible? We're aging like humans do. Or is this the last stage of our maturity and from here on out we shall no longer age like Seohyun?" Jessica retorted.

 

"Jessica's right. If we were born sixty years ago, we should have memory of the past sixty years. Don't tell us time went by that fast and that we have too many memories to remember." Tiffany added sharply.

 

"No. You guys were born sixty years ago but were kept inside a magical container for more than forty years. Nineteen years ago that container was opened and you guys started to mature." Jay paced around the room with a solemn expression. He was serious and they know it.

 

"A magical container is a seal that traps whatever is inside it in a frozen state of time. You didn't age a day until you were released. It's one of the forbidden magic but I guess cursers can use it easily without worrying about the consequences." Seohyun waved a hand and a piece of banana appeared. "Imagine this green, raw banana trapped in a magical container. Compared to a raw banana left to ripe, the banana inside the magical container remains raw until you release it. After several days, one banana is ripe and the other still raw."

 

"But that raw banana had some consequences due to the use of a forbidden magic." Jay took the fruit from Seohyun. "It won't just take several days to ripe but weeks or even months. What I'm trying to say is that putting the three of you in a magical container had a consequence and that's the late appearance of your powers." He waved his hand this time and the banana turned yellow and multiplied to three. He handed one to each girls.

 

"I'm sorry uncle but I just... I can't believe it. We just witnessed you do things we never thought you were capable of and now you're telling us that we are just like you." Sunny expressed her confusion and it was expected. One cannot expect them to fully comprehend everything.

 

"Is a magical container a dark kind of magic?" Jessica inquired.

 

"Yes." Seohyun replied.

 

"You said cursers use dark magic, and assuming the Jungs used a dark forbidden magic and dad part of that same clan, why is he caster warlock then?"

 

Jay and Seohyun exchanged looks, thoroughly surprised that Jessica got those pieces of information and remembered. Maybe they shouldn't worry too much about these kids having a tough time absorbing everything.

 

Jay walked in front of Jessica, bent in one knee and held her hands. "Because I wasn't born to be a Jung. Since I was little I didn't share theirs beliefs. They always wanted to return to the Pit but I don't. They hated coexisting with humans, something they referred to as coexisting with the weak, but I always thought that the humans are strong. They don't give up, they are creative and innovative and most of all they have empathy. A clan doesn't limit your capabilities. We chose our own paths and I chose to be good. I wanted to coexist with humans, I wanted to live in harmony and I wanted a better world."

 

Jessica choked back a sob and it immediately alerted Yoona who quickly detected a wave of sadness. "You and mom are cousins?" Jay mustered a nod. "Isn't that in human definition?"

 

Jay squeezed Jessica's hand to calm her down. "The Jungs have been mating within the family for centuries now. They believed that keeping our bloodline pure will make us more powerful but that's not true." He nudged his head towards Seohyun. "Seohyun's a half blood and I haven't seen anyone who can match her powers."

 

Seohyun grinned proudly, eliciting a small smile from Jessica. "You three have the same history and future. That's why we had to keep you away from Sooyeon."

 

"But why? What does she want?" Tiffany let out exasperatedly.

 

"She wants to open the Pit, the dimension where all non-humans live. We told you that Sooyeon and her allies do not want to coexist with humans so definitely she wouldn't want to rule over the species they deemed to be weak." Jay iterated.

 

"The Pit was once ruled by the mages and Sooyeon probably thinks that that position is something she can assume once she returns. The Queen of the non-humans, Queen of the strong- I guess it's a title she wouldn't want to miss." Jay added scornfully.

 

"But why not just return to the Pit?" Jessica argued. "Wouldn't that be the best decision here? We won't have to fight with mom and we can just return to the place where our kind came from."

 

Yoona bolted up from her seat to give Jessica a stern but indignant glare. "We can't."

 

"Why not? Isn't just agreeing to whatever mom wants the best decision here?" Jessica asked innocently.

 

"We just can't!" Yoona finally bursts, surprising all of them. Her glare softened and directed it to each one of them except Jay. "If we open the pit I'll lose all of you and I don't want that."

 

"Lose us?" Tiffany asked skeptically.

 

Seohyun took a deep breath. "I had the same sentiments as you, Jessica. Yes, why don't we just return like what Sooyeon wants? But for us to go back to the Pit, the seal our ancestors put on the gate needs to be lifted."

 

"Then lift it. You can do that Seohyun, right? You're a powerful mage." Jessica gave Seohyun a look of innocence and trust that the latter felt bad to break.

 

"I can't. For the seal to be lifted, we need the descendants from the eight magical families. Eight of our ancestors sealed it and so eight descendants are needed to lift it. But there's a price if the seal is to be lifted because the gate was sealed for a reason. The non-humans who crossed dimensions and settled here in the world of humans wanted a more peaceful life without the violence, joust for power and soulless monsters. And so magic isn't enough to open it, you need a huge sacrifice." Seohyun sadly narrated, giving Yoona a sad look.

 

"You have to give up your life force." Yoona finished, looking at Jessica in a very delicate manner.

 

Jessica felt chills down her spine. Did she understand Yoona correctly? To give up your life force will mean death, right? Jessica finally realized why Yoona is adamant to disagree with her mother.

 

"Is it us?" Sunny asked weakly. "The ones who are going to sacrifice?"

 

Yoona, Jay and Seohyun exchanged grim expressions before nodding their heads.

 

Tiffany scoffed in irritation. "So we were sealed in a magical container for the sole purpose of unlocking a stupid seal? Descendants, rights? Sunny and I are the last of the bloodline of the Hwangs and Lees."

 

"Yes." Jay got to his feet and started to pace around. "I worry about Krystal but as long as Sooyeon doesn't have the complete eight, it's useless."

 

"But what if they get us?" Jessica's voice was filled with anxiety.

 

Yoona moved right in front of Jessica wearing a determined look. "They won't. I won't allow it." Then her voice became fragile as her eyes sought Jessica's. "I can't lose you, Sica, as well as Seohyun. That's why we have no choice but to fight."

 

"Then let's hide." Jessica's heartstrings were tugged when she heard Yoona call her by her nickname.

 

"We can't. Sooyeon won't stop until she completes the eight, especially now that the Blood Moon is approaching. She'll do anything to gather everyone."

 

"Blood Moon?" Tiffany caught that part.

 

"It's a night of offering. Eight souls to be offered before the eight bloodlines can unlock the gate." Seohyun looked outside the glass wall of the house to adore the crescent moon lighting the not so starry sky.

 

"They need to kill eight people first, and once the moon bleeds red, the ceremony can start. They only have an hour to complete the ceremony. And so when the war happens, until they get all eight keys, they will slaughter eight people every hour." Jay sadly revealed. After offering eight souls, within the next hour the gate needs to be opened. If not, they need to start over again. It's just like dancing, before you proceed to the second step, you have to do the first step.

 

"Why? That's...mean." Jessica couldn't find a right word for it.

 

Yoona exhaled heavily, not sure how to break it down to Jessica without it sounding so crude. "It is but they will only have one night to do it and we just need to keep the four of you away until the sun has risen."

 

"But that would be twelve hours of slaughter, eight lives per hour-" Jessica couldn't fathom the blood that will be shed.

 

"Not mention the casualties when the war starts. Sooyeon and her allies will fight until she gathers all the Keys, and we would do everything to prevent that from happening." Yoona gave Jessica a determined but nonetheless forlorn look. She didn't want Jessica to feel guilty about the blood shed but at the same time Yoona had to emphasize that this war is something they cannot fail.

 

Failure will kill Sunny and Tiffany.

 

Failure will kill Seohyun.

 

Failure will kill Jessica.

 

And failure can bring chaos to mankind.

 

 

****

 

 

Jessica sat at the stool in front of the bar counter along with her friends as they watched her dad and Seohyun come up with their late dinner. The gown she wore for her unwanted dinner date is now inside the trash bin, ripped into pieces by Yoona.

 

Yoona offered Jessica her favorite shirt, a red plaid button down shirt which was a little long for Jessica. The ends run down half of her thighs. She took a whiff of it and the familiar scent of Yoona filled her senses.

 

"Where are they?" Jay checked his watch noting that Yoona and the others have been out for more than half an hour now.

 

"We're back." As if on cue, Yoona's voice reverberated throughout the kitchen. She appeared with a huge box which she was effortlessly carrying on her left hand as if a waiter carrying his tray. She set it down near the fridge, in front of Seohyun and Jay. "I have no idea what you guys are going to cook so we got everything."

 

The others followed carrying the same box as Yoona. They set it down but Yeri and Joy had a huge smile on their faces while doing so.

 

"What's that look?" Seohyun asked suspiciously.

 

"Well.... We got a lot of red meat in there so if there's no space in the freezer maybe we can have it for dinner." Joy grinned proudly but Seohyun can only roll her eyes in return.

 

"Way to go, Yoona. You sired gourmet vampires."

 

Yoona chuckled. "We'll teach them how to hunt."

 

Jessica, Tiffany and Sunny insisted they will help with preparing their dinner. Jessica personally wanted to sear a rare steak for Yoona because it's the only human food that Yoona or vampires in general can take. It's an animal meat and bloody. Seasoned meat or sauted ones already fall under human food category so if ingested, it messes up a vampire's system, drains the blood they consumed and makes them hungry again.

 

Jessica can't fully understand how it works but she tried to keep up with the information. Taeyeon explained it by using science. Imagine pouring a vinegar over a spoonful of baking soda. Wouldn't it cause a chemical reaction? The same thing happens in their stomach. It's like once the blood they consumed detects human food, a reaction takes place that melts the human food and drains the blood leaving them with an empty stomach. Maybe the fact that their body doesn't need any nutrients that a human body does messes up their system. It was an irony of life. They are dead people who depend on human or animal blood. They became predators instead of prey. Human food isn't for their consumption and their body is doing that reaction to remind them not to forget that they no longer need nutrition, that they no longer human.

 

Now Jessica understands why after their every dinner date Yoona would refuse sticking much longer or deepening their intimate moments. Yoona had empty stomachs then and if she stayed longer, she might have sank her teeth into Jessica's neck. Jessica pondered that idea wasn't so bad but she knew that it will be something that Yoona will regret for the rest of her existence. Had Yoona sired Jessica impulsively, she would regret never giving Jessica an option to keep her soul or had she bit Jessica and never stop, then Jessica would have died. It was as simple as that.

 

The vampires stood behind Seohyun and Jay who were still debating what salad to make. They silently hoped that the two mages will fight but that hope was thrown down the drain when the two agreed to make separate salads. Yoona hovered right behind Jessica, watching her closely grill the steak.

 

Jessica tried to steady her heartbeat but she knew Yoona would've heard it anyway. She felt the lack of space between her and Yoona. The cold, steady air breathing down her nape sent the hairs throughout her body rising.

 

"Can you step back a little? I'm trying to concentrate here." Jessica tried to come up with a petty excuse but Yoona's too smart to believe that.

 

"I can't do that especially since I'm having fun watching you turn that rare steak into well done- or very well done for that matter." Yoona smirked.

 

Jessica gasped when the meat that was earlier juicy red has now turned brown bordering black. In an attempt to salvage the meat, she stupidly reached for the handle of the iron skillet. It was such a good heat conductor, Seohyun mentioned.

 

"Aaaah!!!" The skillet dropped down the floor while the hand that grasped it has turned red and has started to swell. Jessica let our tears of pain before wiping them away as quickly as possible. She didn't want to look weak in front Yoona.

 

However, it was too late for that because Yoona easily swooped her up in her arms. She felt a cold rush of air when Yoona moved and before she knew it, she's now inside a bathroom, sitting idly on the sink. Her eyes sought for Yoona who has this worried look on her face. She reached for Jessica's injured hand and place it under running water.

 

Jessica closed her eyes as her face scrunched feeling the cold water sting her burn. "That hurts."

 

Yoona soothed her with a hush. Her hands gently held Jessica's burned palm, refraining herself from making contact with the swelling skin. Jessica opened her eyes and watched Yoona take care of her. Now that she's getting a better look at Yoona, she noticed that she hasn't blinked at all. She remember seeing Yoona blink before but that might have been an action done to avoid being suspicious.

 

"We should put some toothpaste. I heard they can ease the swelling." Jessica muttered softly, dragging her gaze back to her injured palm.

 

For the first time, the worried look on Yoona's face disappeared and was replaced with a smirk. "Where did you get that?"

 

"Somewhere... Well to be exact, my butler did that when he scalded his arm with boiling water." Jessica shyly revealed.

 

"I'm sorry to break it to you but toothpaste doesn't have that kind of effect. It's probably its coolness that ease the pain but other than that it doesn't have any medical effect." Yoona said that in a manner that was sure and void of any nonsense.

 

"How would you know that? It might work." Jessica retorted with a pout.

 

Once again a cheeky grin appeared on Yoona's face. "I'd know it because I'm a doctor."

 

Jessica gave Yoona a long stare, mouth gaping as if doubtful of whatever Yoona said. Before she could utter another retort, though, a shout reverberated behind the door.

 

"Is she alright, Yoona?" Jessica identified the voice as Sooyoung's.

 

"Yeah." Yoona answered back in a soft voice. Jessica noted that Sooyoung can hear that anyway because she has enhanced listening skills. "She'll be fine. Can you put the first aid kit on the bed?"

 

"Done."

 

Jessica wondered what bed Yoona was talking about but she got that answered once Yoona carried her out the bathroom.

 

Jessica is inside Yoona's room. She might have not noticed it earlier when Yoona took her inside with inhuman speed. All she saw were lines, spirals and a little bit of light. Maybe for a regular human eyesight it was incoherent but for a vampire, everything was probably crystal clear.

 

"Wow." She muttered as her eyes roamed around the private space of Yoona. The tall bookshelves that she saw before when she took a secret peek, were filled with books. "Do you read those?"

 

"I've read all of it. Everyone has their own bookshelves and finished reading every book in every room." Yoona grinned. She gently tugged Jessica to follow her at the foot of her bed.

 

Both sat at the foot of the bed in silence. Yoona is too busy applying ointment and such on Jessica's injury, while the latter is focused on looking around the room. A laptop was sitting on top of a wood table and a notepad right beside it. The glass walls surrounding the room let ample moonlight enter the room. The small chandelier was off but the corner lights were on. The lighting of the room made everything feel romantic and it sent Jessica's heart racing at the realization.

 

Clearing her thoughts, Jessica thought maybe this moment of solidarity with Yoona is perfect. She can ask the things she is curious about. Actually she wasn't interested in knowing more about her parents. She was more curious about herself and Yoona.

 

"You said you're a doctor." Jessica said after thinking of a possible introduction. She mentally noted that was a bad choice. She could have asked Yoona's exact age, her favorite color but she settled for a question that struck her recently.

 

"I am." Yoona smiled as she dabbed the white cream around Jessica's injury. "Well currently I'm not because right now I'm a student."

 

"Last time I saw you, you were teaching at a university. I even fantasized about the thrill of dating a colleague of my father. And now you tell me you're a doctor yet currently a student." She shook her head in confusion. "Which is which?"

 

Yoona paused to look Jessica in the eye. "I'm a doctor, professor, lawyer, engineer - civil, maritime, mechanical, electrical, and petroleum, by the way - architect, and a botanist all combined. I forgot the rest. That tends to happen when you've got nothing to do for three centuries."

 

"You're amazing, you know? So, after this facade of a student what's going to be your next college degree?"

 

"I'm thinking of taking Jessica Jung." Yoona grinned haughtily.

 

Jessica gasped scandalously at the innuendo. "Don't do that."

 

"Why not?"

 

"I'll fall."

 

Yoona flashed another gorgeous smirk before leaning closer to Jessica's face. "Have you not?"

 

Jessica mirrored the gesture, leaning her face closer so that their lips are only a breath apart. "No, I didn't just fall. I sunk and there's no way out."

 

This time Yoona wasn't able to make another proud smirk because before her lips can even rise, Jessica quickly claimed it with her own. The first aid kit fell on the floor when Yoona swatted it away just so she can close the distance between her and Jessica. Her right hand firmly held the back of Jessica's head while her left one slid down and tenderly grasped Jessica's side. Jessica nibbled down Yoona's lower lip, eliciting a throaty groan from the vampire who responded by dragging her left hand to Jessica's back. Jessica shivered when Yoona's cold palm rested on her back. The fabric Jessica wore did nothing to lessen the cold but that coldness reminds her that Yoona is with her. Jessica encircled her arms around Yoona, tilting her head to the side to deepen the kiss.

 

Jessica felt Yoona's tongue tugging at her lips and so she opened and met it with hers. Their mouths moved slowly but remained in sync. Yoona's tongue met the cavern of Jessica's mouth, exploring it like it was an open space. It circled around the area, reaching the roof before tangling it again with Jessica's tongue.

 

Jessica didn't stay passive though. She removed her arms around Yoona's neck and grabbed Yoona's collar instead. She felt Yoona grin into their kiss, definitely loving the impulsive nature she's showing tonight. Jessica stopped using her tongue. Instead her kisses became more tender, nibbling and either of Yoona's lips. The change in pace gave a more romantic atmosphere as if Jessica was expressing herself to Yoona in her most raw form.

 

"I love you." Jessica muttered when she momentarily pulled away to catch her breath. Her gaze bore into Yoona's dark black eyes. "Your eyes... They've changed."

 

"It means I'm hungry." Yoona replied. She involuntarily swallowed as Jessica's scent filled her senses.

 

"Is this okay then? Me being this close to you? Are you having a hard time not to bite me?" Jessica asked out of curiosity. Strangely though, she wasn't afraid. If Yoona will lose her control and sire her then fine yet she knew Yoona wouldn't let that happen. Yoona wouldn't take away Jessica's soul that easily.

 

"It's difficult, yes. But I'd die first before I sink my teeth in you." Yoona breathed softly. "I love you, Jessica. I repeatedly told myself a monster like me does not deserve you. And yet here you are, dropping all of my inhibitions by your mere presence."

 

Jessica felt her heart racing heavily. The heat on her face and down her body was throbbing badly. Jessica doesn't know why she had to be while her dad and her friends are right outside the door, but maybe Yoona's touches ignited her switch.

 

And turning on that switch, which by the way never happened before even though she had hot make-out sessions with Yoona, would be a bad sign because she doesn't know how to turn it off or ignore it.

 

"I-I guess we better go." Yoona broke the long stare off and Jessica couldn't help but be disappointed. She mentally berated herself though because she knew that right now is not the proper time. Blame her human, hormonal reaction.

 

Jessica got up from the mattress hurriedly, leaving Yoona suppressing a snicker. "Yeah. I'm hungry."

 

"You should eat. Jay's finished the salad. Everything's prepared." Yoona heard Jay's whisper outside berating Tiffany who's trying to taste the roasted ribs. "And Tiffany's hungry so if you don't come out she'll probably bust in here."

 

"I'll go." Jessica quipped. Her feet quickly moved, trying to move away from Yoona as fast as possible. She didn't want to embarrass herself even further.

 

Yoona looked on with a sad expression. She felt bad she didn't go through with the flow of the moment but at the same time relieved that she was able to control herself. She doesn't trust herself. She doesn't know what she might do to Jessica because she know her self-control will flicker once she's in contact with Jessica's body.

 

A second of forgetting self-control might result to inflicting a small bruise on Jessica, a minute might resul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter