The means justify the ends

Living Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica held her lunch tray tightly. She mustered courage and decided to sit on the table of the transferees. Sunny and Tiffany followed her. The cafeteria murmured loudly, witnessing the joining of tables of the most popular students and the latest school buzz.

 

"Hi." Tiffany greeted.

 

"Hello." Seohyun beamed. She twirled her fork around her pasta and bit her garlic bread.

 

It has been a week ever since that attack at the alley. The transferees and the popular trio started interacting at school after and it really got the attention of the students. At first they just greeted each other in classes and corridors but now the most popular students in the whole school sat voluntarily at the table of the transferees.

 

Jessica scanned the table, noticing Yoona, Yuri and Taeyeon are not present.

 

"They fell asleep during psychics. They'll be here any second." Sooyoung answered the question in Jessica's head. "I can hear Yuri already."

 

"Do they often fall asleep in class?" Jessica asked.

 

Seohyun nodded. "Yeah. I mean we already know all the things they are teaching us."

 

"No wonder Yoona preferred teaching." Sooyoung commented. She offered her lunch tray to Hyoyeon instead. Tiffany noticed that gesture.

 

"I'm just curious... Why can't you guys eat human food?" She whispered so nobody else will hear.

 

"For us, human food is a foreign material. We can ingest it but it doesn't give us any nutrient. In fact it drains our system." Sooyoung explained. "Even if we're full, the moment we ingest human food, the blood we consumed from hunting will go down the drain. Our throat becomes dry, our stomach becomes empty- in other words we'll get hungry. It's not a good thing you know, to be hungry and be surrounded by humans more importantly the person that smells the best." She leaned closer to Hyoyeon, sniffing her scent. She felt her body hum in desire but Sooyoung controlled herself. She wouldn't want to change in front of the entire student body would she?

 

Jessica nodded in understanding. Now she understood why every time she and Yoona make out after their dinner date, Yoona often excused herself. Yoona consumed human food and was drained, hungry even. She had to stay away especially from Jessica who has the most appealing scent for her. She had to leave so that she wouldn't hurt Jessica. Now Jessica felt like a fool thinking Yoona didn't want her just as much. Turns out Yoona did it for her sake.

 

Jessica noticed Sooyoung's gaze dart towards the cafeteria entrance. She turned around and witnessed the three other vampires come in. Jessica's breath got caught in the moment she locked gazes with Yoona. If Yoona didn't pull away to join Taeyeon and Yuri in claiming their school lunch, Jessica could totally spend the entire day staring into Yoona's eyes.

 

"Well that's interesting." Sooyoung smirked, eyes fixed at the table near the door. "That's Kim Hyuna, right?"

 

Jessica broke from her stupor, bringing her attention back to Sooyoung. "What?"

 

"Yes, that's Kim Hyuna. Why do you ask?" Tiffany answered, noticing her friend Jessica was too dazed to answer.

 

"Well... Her thoughts are very expressive." Sooyoung shook her head though an amused grin is plastered on her face.

 

"Why? What is she thinking?" Seohyun prodded, taking another bite of her bread.

 

"She's thinking of flirting with Yoona later. She's hoping she can charm Yoona and lead her to the restroom at the north wing." Sooyoung said, chuckling at Hyuna's detailed imagination. "Or maybe invite Yoona to the annual gala."

 

"Wait... Restroom at the north wing? That's closed for a week. It's under renovation." Sunny said. She gazed at Jessica whose expression darkened.

 

Yoona sat at the table, placing her food tray in front but not bothering to touch it. "Hey. You didn't wake us." She told Seohyun.

 

"Well... I was busy listening." Seohyun reasoned. "Can I have your apple?"

 

"You can have everything." Yoona pushed her tray over to Seohyun. Yuri and Taeyeon followed and sat at the remaining seats. The ten seater circle table is now almost full.

 

Yoona turned to her right, aware she just sat next to Jessica. "Hi."

 

Jessica gazed at her, unsure if Yoona was really talking to her.

 

"Yes, I am." Yoona assured, flashing a crooked grin.

 

"O-oh. H-hello." Jessica stammered. She could no longer eat her lunch. She poked the pasta with her fork, too distracted with the proximity of Yoona. She could feel her skin prickle, aching for Yoona's touch.

 

"Hi, Yoona!"

 

Jessica's happiness was replaced with irritance once she heard that high pitch voice. That no doubt belongs to Kim Hyuna.

 

"Hi." Yoona turned around, flashing a smile.

 

"So... I was wondering if you want to go to the gala next week." Hyuna started. "A lot of people has asked me already but I want you to be my partner instead."

 

"What's the gala about?" Yoona asked, trying to avoid to answer that quickly.

 

"It's an annual thing. It's to commemorate the start of the semester as well as the school's foundation anniversary." Hyuna smirked proudly. "So you'll go with me?"

 

"I'm sorry, Hyuna-ssi." Yoona apologized. She put an arm around a surprised Jessica. "I've asked Jessica to be my partner already."

 

Jessica felt her face heat up. She can feel the students staring and more importantly the sudden intimacy Yoona displayed sent her heart racing. Her skin emitted a dangerous amount of heat, consuming her senses and her rationality. Why was Hyuna even here in the first place? All was left forgotten.

 

"Oh. I didn't know you and Jessica are a thing already." Hyuna mumbled dejectedly.

 

"Not yet but we are going there." Yoona replied. Jessica ducked her head, face and ears red already.

 

Flipping her hair, Hyuna turned her back and returned to her table. Yoona released Jessica but kept her eyes on her.

 

"Are you free later?" Yoona asked.

 

Jessica, who was dazed a little, merely heard her ears ring though she couldn't process exactly what that was. Mustering courage to gaze into Yoona's eyes, she asked, "W-what?"

 

"I'm asking you if you're free later after class." Yoona repeated. That same charming crooked grin was playing on her lips.

 

"Yes... Yes, I am. Why do you ask?" Jessica held her breath. Don't tell me...

 

"Let's go on a date."

 

"W-what?"

 

"A date. Let's go." Yoona craned her head to the side. "Didn't you want to learn more about me? About us?"

 

Jessica nodded vehemently. "Of course. Sure, let's go."

 

"Nice." Yoona looked over Jessica's shoulder, staring at Tiffany. "Don't worry. I'll bring her home instead."

 

Jessica hitched a ride with Tiffany. It has been a routine already that Tiffany will pick up Sunny and Jessica. Sunny doesn't bother bringing a car and Jessica doesn't want to drive alone inside the cars her mother bought for her. She may have four cars but they were given by her mother through her secretary. Her mother never personally gave her the keys. Riding with Sunny and Tiffany is fun and they often talk about that happened the previous night at home. They are each other's confidants.

 

"I'm going to keep my eye on you." Tiffany said through gritted teeth. She was still pissed at Yoona, not amused with the way she treated her best friend Jessica. You better take care of her, .

 

Yoona chuckled when she read the threat in Tiffany's mind. "Thanks, I will."

 

Once lunch was over, the news spread quickly about Kwon Yoona asking Jung Jessica for the gala. It was a rather big news because Jessica rejects anyone who asks her out. Then all of the sudden this Yoona comes in, publicly say she's going to the gala with Jessica and Jessica didn't even deny or reject her. That alone speak volumes. There was something between Yoona and Jessica and it wouldn't take long before it becomes official.

 

The homeroom classes were tasked to clean, decorate and organize the school grounds in preparation for the school festival next week. Normally Jessica hated to be out in the sun. At times like this Jessica will use her position in the student council and stay inside the SC office but she couldn't do that. Not when she heard Yoona's participating with the cleaning.

 

Jessica doesn't know why but the thought of seeing Yoona under the sun, glowing and radiating, pulled her greatly. Or maybe that's the so called pull the vampires are talking about. Hyoyeon did tell her that the pull works both ways. It doesn't only affect the vampire but also the human, the mate. Jessica blushed at the thought. She's Yoona's mate. Seohyun and Taeyeon admitted that to her already. Now everyone in that vampire household is conspiring to bring Yoona and Jessica together.

 

"Are you okay?"

 

Jessica shook her head. She gathered her thoughts before looking at Yoona who was looking at her with concern. "Yes, I am."

 

Yoona nodded, face now relieved. She held a long broom stick. She was tasked along with Jessica and some other students but mostly boys to clean the courts. The basketball and volleyball courts weren't used lately because the teams are currently out of the country for a tournament. The soccer field is a pain though.

 

Jessica exhaled heavily, a little tired of the work. "Of all the places we can be assigned it had to be the soccer field."

 

"Don't worry. We're almost done then we can go to the gym and help Tiffany and the others decorate it for the gala."

 

Jessica glanced a bit at Yoona. Compared to her sweating buckets under the sunlight, Yoona didn't have any sweat at all. Her face is completely dry. Well maybe it's because their body temperature is cold so it keeps them cool.

 

"That and our sweat glands no longer function." Yoona said, reading her thoughts.

 

"Don't you find it, I don't know, maybe uncomfortable that your body doesn't function as it should?" It was an honest question, one of the many questions in Jessica's head.

 

"No, not really. I don't have any limits as a human anymore. I don't need air, I don't need food, I don't need sleep, I don't sweat and more importantly I no longer have that monthly girl thing." Yoona explained softly, wanting Jessica to understand what she said.

 

"Wow, I sort of envy you for that. I mean the monthly thingy. It's a killer." Jessica shook her head.

 

"Yeah, you absolutely have a bad temper whenever it's that time of the month." Yoona agreed, laughing when Jessica glared at her. "Well, it's the truth."

 

Jessica shook her head, turning to sweep the grass with her broom instead. The moment she had her back turned from Yoona, she smiled a little, silently admitting what Yoona said. Yes, Jessica had a bad temper during those times and she always felt bad about it. She often gets pissed even when Yoona didn't even do anything wrong.

 

She turned around again, remembering another question. "You said you don't sleep. Why is there a bed in your house? And you fell asleep earlier in class."

 

"It's a habit we have to learn in order to adapt to humans. At first it served as an act to being 'normal' but in my case and Sooyoung, it's a time when we can relax our mind and shut off the world." Yoona propped her hands at the end of the broomstick, tucking it under her chin. "Do you know how it feels to read every thought of every single person you pass by? When I go to bed I can't read any thoughts but I can feel emotions. Despair, hope, sadness, suffering- I can feel them all. The moment I shut my eyes, I shut the world. Even if I only close my eyes for an hour or two, it helps me a lot, you know. I feel fresh and ready to read and feel again."

 

"So you rest and recharge, that's it?"

 

"Yeah. That's that."

 

"So you and Sooyoung can control what you read, what to feel and what to hear?"

 

"Yeah. It's a mental ability, Jessica. If we put our mind to it, we can do it. I block Sooyoung from entering my head. She's still figuring out how to block me but she did block her access in Hyoyeon's mind."

 

Jessica remembered something Sooyoung said. "Sooyoung said she couldn't read Hyoyeon's mind."

 

"It's not that she couldn't. She wouldn't. Hyoyeon's her mate and she want to respect Hyoyeon's thoughts because for her that's a private space. She didn't want to intrude." Yoona explained.

 

Jessica nodded her head. Then she looked Yoona in the eyes. "Then you shouldn't read my mind too."

 

"Why?" Yoona argued. "You often hold things back so I have a hard time deciphering you."

 

"Then let's make a deal." Jessica offered. "I will tell you everything honestly now but you will stop reading my mind."

 

Yoona paused, not buying the deal. "You'll be honest with me from now on? Can you keep that?"

 

"I can." Jessica said confidently. "I won't lie to the person I love."

 

Yoona sighed, shaking her head a little. "You're really something else, aren't you?" Then she chuckled amusely. "You're making a deal with a vampire."

 

Jessica merely raised an eyebrow at her. "And so? You won't harm me."

 

"How can you be sure?" Yoona challenged.

 

"You won't hurt the person you love."

 

Yoona stared at her silently. She didn't need to read Jessica's mind to know who told Jessica that. For sure, Yoona knew, Seohyun and Taeyeon conspired to tell on her. At times like this Yoona wished she was a witch instead so that she can cast a spell to her family and let them keep their mouth shut.

 

And yet, though Yoona deny it through her words, her actions say the otherwise. Just like now.

 

Jessica lowered her torso without bending her knees causing her skirt to show more of her white smooth thighs. Yoona could already hear the other students murmur at the sight, some inappropriate statements along the way. Yoona balled her fists, trembling in suppress anger. Had Yoona have no control over her temper, she could have ripped the heads of all those guys thinking inappropriately about Jessica. She then wondered how come the schools here in Korea have uniforms? Back in America high school students can come to school with whatever outfit they want to wear.

 

The red plaid skirt or dark blue slacks, dark blue jacket, white inner shirt and red tie standard uniform can be a little troublesome especially the skirts for girls.

 

Removing her jacket, Yoona walked over to where Jessica is and placed her jacket over her hips. Jessica stood straight, almost making the jacket fall but Yoona held it firmly. She turned Jessica around and tied it around her waist instead.

 

"What are you doing?" Jessica asked, visibly blushing. She looked around and noticed the other students murmuring, probably making another assumption about her and Yoona. Last time she heard, the latest gossip, is that she and Yoona have a 'some' relationship. Right now with what these students saw, they might assume the 'some' relationship progressed seriously.

 

"If you're gonna bend and you're wearing a skirt, make sure to bend your knees. I can feel the boys' hormones increasing. You wouldn't want to know what's inside their head." Yoona answered. She made two knots, securing her jacket firmly around Jessica's waist.

 

"Umm, why should I bend my knees?" Jessica asked dumbly, asking that instead of why boys are staring at her.

 

"Because if you bend lazily using your hips while wearing a skirt you can accidentally expose your booty."

 

Jessica gasped followed by a frown. "Who says booty nowadays?!"

 

Yoona merely shook her head. She finds it amusing how Jessica's basically ignoring what she said. "You're really something, Jessica. I just told you guys are staring at your ."

 

"I know that but why do you care? I mean last time I checked you didn't care about me. Besides, boys will be boys."

 

"Well I care because I've already told you."

 

"Told me what?"

 

Yoona took a step closer to Jessica, leaning her face dangerously close to Jessica's lips but eventually leaned closer to her ear instead. Jessica blushed deeper when her sensitive ear felt Yoona's cool breath.

 

"Your is mine, remember?"

 

Jessica gasped, pulling away with a deeper shade of red filling her face. Her ears felt hot all of the sudden. Are her hands sweating right now?

 

"W-What?" She stammered but Yoona was no longer in front of her. Jessica placed a hand over her chest. The heavy pounding of her heart reminded her of the usual effect Yoona has. After all this time, it still didn't change. Why will it change though? Jessica's still in love with Yoona anyway.

 

 

****

 

 

"Where are we going?" Jessica glanced at Yoona who is driving behind the wheel. Yoona brought her Hummer to school.

 

To Jessica's surprise, Yoona was waiting for her at the parking lot already. As usual the students stared especially when Yoona opened the door for her. She wouldn't be surprised if by tomorrow the latest gossip is that she and Yoona are officially together. Not that she's against it. She just didn't want to assume although Yoona taking her out right now has driven her head to think of any reason or explanation of the sudden invite. Jessica was hoping Yoona's trying to pick off where they left but she didn't want to be too hopeful in case it wasn't the case.

 

"Somewhere." Yoona hummed playfully. She was holding the wheel with her right hand, her left elbow propped against the open window, letting the cool night air fill the vehicle.

 

Jessica sighed, gazing outside instead. The sun has set and the stars started to glitter across the dark sky. The busy and noisy Seoul night life started to come alive, the different lights in every establishment they passed by illuminating her features.

 

Yoona glanced at Jessica's side profile. A soft smile etched its way on her face seeing the unexplainable beauty of this woman. No wonder Yoona fell for her. Jessica captured her in one glance, Yoona wouldn't even deny that.

 

Sighing softly and enamoured by the beauty displayed before her, Yoona changed her hold for the wheel, using the left instead and letting the right reach for Jessica's hand which was settled on Jessica's lap.

 

Jessica gasped when a cold hand grasped hers, head quickly snapping to the left. "Y-Yoona."

 

"There's no use keeping up the denial facade of mine, isn't it?" Yoona reasoned, smiling crookedly at Jessica. "I've worn my heart on my sleeve the entire time anyway."

 

Jessica smiled back lovingly at her. Her gaze fell on their hands. Yoona spread her fingers and Jessica interwove them together. She loved how their hands fit each other perfectly and how Yoona's cold hand contrast Jessica's warm one.

 

"Your heart is racing." Yoona noted, feeling the sudden change in Jessica's pulse by feeling her hand. She can also audibly hear Jessica's irregularly pumping heart.

 

"It always does whenever I'm with you." Jessica admitted.

 

Yoona nodded. "Yes, that's right. I'm glad I still bring that kind of effect."

 

Jessica squeezed her hand gently. "You'll always leave my heart racing Yoona. I don't see that changing anytime in the future."

 

"Good." Yoona said, bringing their intertwined hands up and kissing the back of Jessica's hand.

 

Jessica's heart swelled at the action. Whatever is happening right now is like a total contrast of what happened this past month. From Yoona acting like Jessica didn't exist to acting like Jessica's the only existence in her life. Jessica felt happy, hoping this is the start of the second chance to their relationship.

 

Jessica sighed heavily as she adored the dark shimmering sky and the still Kang river. She and Yoona walked along the sidewalk, hands still intertwined, swinging it sweetly.

 

"Have you decided about my deal?" Jessica broke the silence, turning to Yoona with clear eyes.

 

"Yes." Yoona answered. "I trust that you will be honest from now on." She turned Jessica so that they are now facing each other. Her free hand reached to caress Jessica's face. "I want to know your thoughts, Jessica. But- if you have to keep some thoughts to yourself, you can do that. I won't pry that private space of yours anymore."

 

"Thank you, Yoona. That means a lot to me." Jessica sincerely said. "Last thing I want is for you to see inappropriate thoughts in my head. Again." She blushed as she recollect the memory of her make-out with Yoona during that visit wherein Jay interrupted them. For sure Yoona saw how far her thoughts went. "You're not reading what I'm thinking right now, are you?"

 

"No, I'm not." Yoona replied. "I've put a mental block on your thoughts so I won't see it."

 

"Okay. Mental block... Is that what Sooyoung is doing with Hyoyeon?"

 

"Yeah, she did. She respect Hyoyeon that's why she wanted to give that privacy Hyoyeon deserve. That's also the reason I agreed with your deal."Yoona explained further.

 

They walked for a few more minutes along the sidewalk until they settled on a wooden bench. Yoona sat with her leg crossed over the other. She put their intertwined hands on her lap, brushing it tenderly with her thumb.

 

"Was it difficult?"

 

Yoona brought her gaze off their intertwined hands to gaze at Jessica's beautiful face. "What is?"

 

"Being a vampire." Jessica continued. "I can see you and the others struggle whenever you smell human scent. Taeyeon said it's the worst right after being sired."

 

"Yes, it was hard." Yoona admitted. "Once I was sired everything about me changed. My insides lost their functionality and became as hard as stone, my abilities and features were enhanced, and my temperature dropped. I was drained of all the human food I last ate and therefore was hungry, thirsty."

 

Yoona let go of Jessica's hand remembering vividly the bloodlust that almost overpowered her sanity. She was thirsty, famished, but she held on to her remaining will and opted to kill one of the deers in her farm. It was after draining her fourth deer did Yoona realize animal blood can quench her thirst. It didn't leave her fully satisfied but enough to stop her from craving human blood.

 

"Even after years of wars and supernatural battles, I still hasn't found anything as painful as being sired." Yoona paused, shaking her head. "No, that's not correct. Being away from you was the most painful thing I've ever encountered."

 

Jessica's eyes stung. She cannot believe Yoona telling her this, that the Yoona in front of her has returned to the old Yoona who spoke sweet words to her, not those awful, hurtful words a month ago.

 

"Forgive me." Yoona said, reaching for Jessica's hand once again.

 

"There's nothing to forgive." Jessica responded. "I understand you, Yoona. I got your intentions but it's not a decision for you to make, it's mine." She used her other hand to cup Yoona's face. "You shouldn't worry though. I haven't really thought about getting sired but we'll get there. What I know is that I want to be with you right now."

 

If Yoona is still human she would have cried the moment she heard Jessica forgive her. Too bad her tear ducks have stopped working. She would gladly cry for Jessica.

 

Overwhelmed with happiness and letting the pull conquer her without fightning anymore, Yoona grabbed the back of Jessica's neck, pulling her close in order to capture her lips. The kiss melted them both. It felt like years since their lips touched but the truth is it was only months ago. Jessica grabbed Yoona's collar, afraid to let go because right now it still feels like a dream yet the softness of Yoona's lips reminded her that it's as real as it could get.

 

Pulling away for air, Jessica leaned her forehead against Yoona. She gaze at Yoona through her droopy eyelids, eyes watering from emotions. "I don't get you. You treat me coldly and now you're warmer than the summer breeze."

 

"It's because I can no longer fight this pull." Yoona admitted. "And I can no longer bear to stay away from you anymore."Yoona shook her head, failing to think of how to explain her feelings. "Goodness, I don't know I survived staying away from you."

 

"Maybe because at the back of your head you knew that fate will bring us back together." Jessica mused.

 

"Maybe." Yoona grinned. She pulled Jessica's face closer once again leaving a chaste kiss on her lips. "I've never forgotten the taste of your lips."

 

"Neither did I." As much as Jessica craved for more contact, she realized the purpose of this date is to know more about Yoona, about their kind. "Can we talk now? I mean I'd love to make-out with you but I want to know more about you."

 

"Okay, I understand. What do you want to know?"

 

"I already know how Taeyeon was sired. I am curious about Sooyoung and Yuri now. If they have a sad story like Taeyeon though it's okay if you don't tell." Jessica said.

 

Yoona took a deep breath though she didn't really need to air. "No, their stories aren't as sad as Taeyeon's. I met Yuri when Taeyeon, Seohyun and I went to an island in the Bahamas for a vacation. That vacation was more of a land inspection though since we were planning to buy an island."

 

Jessica raised an eyebrow in amusement. "Wow... An island. Seohyun's right when she said she has no idea what she'll do with your money anymore."

 

Yoona chuckled. "Ever since Taeyeon joined our family, we never lost any bets. Before poker wasn't even invented, people bet recklessly. They put their entire fortune in the line or the deed to their house or land. That's why when we win we tend to take everything."

 

"Basically it's all or nothing." Jessica summarized.

 

"Correct. Then after that we started working and of course the lotteries too." Yoona sighed heavily. "Seohyun's right... We need to do something about all the money right now."

 

"Then? What happened after the island inspection? You met Yuri?"

 

"Yes, we did. She was the daughter of the chief of a tribe living next to the island we bought." Yoona explained.

 

"Tribe chief's daughter? What's the name of the tribe?"

 

"The Kunahulana tribe. Maybe you've heard of it in your history class back in Atlanta."

 

Jessica paused, recalling her history class with Miss Sawyer. "Ah, now I remember. But wasn't the tribe slaughtered by a group of revolutionaries?"

 

"Yes, they were." Yoona sadly recalled. "The tribe was allies with the revolutionaries but the chief told them they will withdraw because most of their warriors died during the last battle."

 

"But they have a reason to withdraw. Why were they slaughtered then? I mean they wouldn't be able to fight anyway without any warriors."

 

"That's because that's not the true reason for the slaughter. The Kunahulana tribe have special gifts and most of them have the gift to heal. The revolutionary allied with them hoping the tribe can cure their casualties but there's nothing to cure if they are no longer alive."

 

"Gifts... Does that mean Yuri has a gift too?"

 

"Yeah, she can hypnotize others and hence create illusions."

 

"Ah! Isn't that her gift right now as well?"

 

"Yes, but it's more amplified. If she would want to she can put an entire cityunder an illusion. Before she can only hynotize one at a time."

 

Jessica nodded attentively. "I see. So the revolutionaries decided that if the tribe won't be of help anymore-"

 

"Then they will have to eliminate them because they wouldn't want the tribe to be of use to other groups as well." Yoona finished.

 

"I see. I don't remember reading on the book about the tribe's ability to heal though." Jessica recalled. "All I read was that the tribe was slaughtered because the revolutionary thought they were a threat."

 

Yoona chuckled bitterly. "Do you know how the history is written?"

 

Jessica shook her head. "No."

 

"It's written by the winners. Who will document the attack on the tribe? No one in the tribe survived and therefore the one who will write what happened were the people from the revolutionary or other people who have heard of the attack but never saw it. That's why some of what's written in the history can be inaccurate." Yoona continued.

 

"You said no one survived. How did Yuri- So she was dead when you sired her?"

 

"No but she was close to death when I did."

 

Yoona sniffed the air. All of the sudden it smelled like rust, like blood. She glanced at Seohyun who was flicking her fingers at the logs, casting spells after spells, leading the family in constructing their house. The logs flew in the air, moving around and settling down on the place Seohyun decided.

 

"I heard gunshots." Taeyeon came running to where Yoona is. The latter was by the shore finishing their boat.

 

"Yeah, me too." Yoona agreed. "And I'm smelling blood right now."

 

Taeyeon and Yoona perked their heads towards the next island, hearing more gunshots and helpless screams. The air has now become concentrated with the smell of blood. Their throat started to get itchy, obvious tempted by the smell of human blood.

 

"I feel despair." Yoona said, eyeing the next island helplessly. "We should help them. They are being slaughtered."

 

Calling Seohyun, the three of them was in by the portal Seohyun created by a flick of a finger. In only split second they arrived in the neighboring island.

 

They quickly heard shrieks and without any caution ran to the source. The village's center bathed in blood as dead bodies piled on the sand. The revolutionaries ran amok and shot every Kunahulana member down. Yoona balled her fists, anger quickly running through her body.

 

"We're late." She mumbled. She craned her neck to gaze at the sea. A large vessel was sailing away and with her enhanced hearing Yoona heard them laughing away while downing barrels of booze. "Damn it!"

 

"Anyway, what's done is done." Seohyun said, thinking clearly. "The best we can do is look for any survivors. If you see anyone still breathing, call me. I'll heal them."

 

They spread around the island, checking even the huts that were still burning. Taeyeon exited the last hut with a grim expression. Surely there were no survivors inside.

 

Seohyun looked around the village's center but all she found were dead bodies including that of the chief's. "This is insane."

 

Yoona searched along the shore. It pained her to see more than five children laying lifeless on top of blood pools. Those revolutionaries didn't spare anyone. Had Yoona got here earlier, she wouldn't spare the lives of those revolutionary bastards as well.

 

Yoona started walking back to where Seohyun and Taeyeon are when she heard a faint noise.

 

Thump-thump.

 

Yoona paused in her tracks, making sure she heard it right. That definitely wasn't her heartbeat.

 

Thump-thump.

 

Yoona sprinted to the direction she was hearing that faint noise. She reached the east side of the island, finding the sole body lying on the sand. She noticed the footprints on the still wet sand due to the low tide. The victim tried, with her remaining strength, to run away.

 

"Yuri?" She noticed the face immediately. This woman is, now was, the daughter of the chief and also the most beautiful woman of the tribe. She kneeled beside the body, planting her ear against Yuri's barely heaving chest. "She's barely alive."

 

She took a quick look around Yuri's injured body. Two bullet wounds, one near the shoulder and one on the lower left stomach. Yoona's fingers shook, body reacting at the thick stench of blood.

 

"Taeyeon! Seohyun! I found someone but she's barely breathing!"

 

Within a few seconds the two women Yoona called appeared by her side. Seohyun kneeled beside her while Taeyeon just stood there, watching carefully.

 

"I don't think I can heal her any longer, Yoona." Seohyun announced. "She's in the brink of death. My healing spell isn't that strong yet. I can't help her." She sounded upset, disappointed with her weakness.

 

Yoona gazed at Yuri. She felt so bad seeing Yuri like this. To her surprise, Yuri slightly opened her eyes.

 

"You guys... Get a-away from-m here." She choked. "They'll k-kill you."

 

"Don't talk." Yoona said. She turned to Seohyun. "Can you at least take the bullets out of her?"

 

"There's no need. It's a through and through. The bullets went through." Seohyun explained.

 

Yoona turned her gaze back to Yuri. "Yuri... If you'd like to, I can help. Just give me the word and I'll bite you. I'll turn you like us."

 

Yuri's heavy eyelids threatened to close but she kept them opened with every strength she got left. She darted her gaze off the sky to look at Yoona. "You- I don't want to die..."

 

"I'll give you immortality, Yuri. Just say it and-" Yoona's eyes widened when Yuri closed her eyes. The beating of her heart begin to slow and the air from her lungs start to dwindle. "She's about to die!"

 

"Bite her, Yoona! Sire her now while her heart beats!" Taeyeon said which had Seohyun nodding fervently in agreement.

 

Yoona ignored the possiblity of Yuri resenting being like what Yoona is but when she heard this woman's desire to live, Yoona just couldn't find it in herself to leave her to die. Yuri has become a friend despite the short time she's known the girl. Yoona bared her fangs and quickly sunk it at the base of Yuri's neck. Pulling the girl's upper body, Yoona sipped the blood of this young tribe lady, her venom quickly entering her system. There still was a faint heartbeat so the venom can still travel to her heart. The venom is actually self moving so it doesn't need a pump of the heart but Yoona isn't sure the siring will be successful if Yuri dies.

 

"Her heartbeat stopped." Taeyeon commented.

 

"Damn it! We're late!" Seohyun cursed. "We'll find those revolutionaries. Human wars are stupid and unnecessary. All they do is kill for power! They don't give life of importance!"

 

Yoona pulled herself away from Yuri's neck. There was a visible trail of blood around the corners of her lips. Two circular holes where Yoona's fangs sunk throbbed softly. Yoona watched with bated breath if Yuri's siring is successful but when she saw no movement, she can only sigh defeatedly.

 

"I'll find those revolutionaries." Yoona said through gritted teeth.

 

"And what will you do, Yoona?" Seohyun proded.

 

Yoona turned to Seohyun, eyes burning with anger. "They killed innocent people. They harmed a tribe living in peace. That's why the world is getting worst. Humans, who are suppose to protect it, are destroying it instead!" Her fists balled in fury. "This isn't the first time we witnessed humans kill their own!"

 

"And do you think you are in the position to claim the lives of those people?" Seohyun reasoned.

 

"Yes! Because now that Yuri's dead, all members of the tribe are now gone. No one's going to avenge their death and so I'm doing them a favor. Besides, us non-humans exist because of this."

 

"You mean we exist because we can kill humans?"

 

"No. We exist to create balance in this world. One of the reasons we are here is because when the humans start to think they are the superior race, we emerge from the darkness to teach them a lesson. They are at the bottom of an even bigger food chain." Yoona explained void of any sympathy.

 

"How are you going to reach them? They've left." Seohyun conceded. Yoona has a point. They, non-humans, are far of superior race than humans. If they will base it on power alone, the three of them can handle an army of soldiers easily. The speed of vampires is unequal. A bunch of soldiers can fall dead but won't ever know what hit them. Seohyun can just stand from a distance and with some flicks of her fingers here and there, the army will be wiped out. Seohyun's powers have reached it's peak ever since she reached the maturity of her body. Some of her spells though need more work including her healing spell.

 

"I can still smell their blood stained clothes, I can hear their victorious shouts and I can feel no sense of guilt from them despite slaughtering this tribe." Yoona snarled. She bore her fangs, stood and sniffed the air. Her head turned to the sea, trying to point the exact location of the ship. After a few more sniffs, Yoona rushed to the direction she got, swimming or probably walking under the sea in order to reach them.

 

"Yoona's temper is really something." Seohyun commented.

 

Taeyeon nodded. "I know. I guess I'll follow her. She needs someone to watch over her. She tend to go a little overboard."

 

Seohyun watched Taeyeon walk to the waters until she submerged completely. Seohyun brought her gaze back to the dead body of Yuri. She couldn't help but somehow share the loathe Yoona felt for the humans. How come the non-humans such as them live in peace compared to the humans? To be honest, if they would want it, they could slaughter the town they chose to reside in. But why didn't they kill Yuri's tribe? Why did they choose to live in harmony with the humans while concealing the truth to their nature?

 

They just want to live in peace. The three of them have a deep sense of loyalty that's why they have managed to form a bond with the Kunahulana tribe despite a short time together.

 

Seohyun's head perked when she heard a sharp intake of breath. Gazing down at Yuri, she witnessed the dead body come back to life. Yuri sprang up like a bolt, breathing heavily. Seohyun noticed the wounds present earlier on Yuri's body have closed now. The bite marks Yoona left also closed which meant Yuri's siring was successful.

 

"Oh goodness, Yuri! You made it back to life!" Seohyun knelt down beside her, heaving a relieved sigh."Are you feeling okay? Are you thirsty?"

 

Yuri looked at Seohyun. At the sight of the witch, Yuri quickly held her neck. All of the sudden started to dry. Her eyes dilated until suddenly two sharp fangs protruded out her teeth. Seohyun gasps, faking being offended.

 

"I am very sad to know you are interested in my body, Yuri." Seohyun started with slight humor.

 

Yuri swallowed nervously, blinking her now pitch black eyes. "My throat.... It's itchy."

 

"You're thirsty." Seohyun explained. "Thank goodness you made it, Yuri. For a moment there I thought the vampire venom would fail."

 

"Vampire venom?" Yuri asked. She lifted her hands in order to stare at them. Her former dark complexion became a little fairer. Seohyun gasped, forgetting about the sunlight but the sun has been hiding behind the thick clouds since this morning. It was probably mourning for the slaughtered tribe.

 

The young witch quickly conjured the ring she gave to Taeyeon and Yoona. It was a magic passed down by her parents, written inside the spellbook Seohyun carried with her when she escaped to safety away from her parents and the angry mob. It was the thing she hugged desperate

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter