Motley Crew

Point-Blank

 

 

 

Amber’s POV

 

 

The car ride to the party was spent in complete silence. Not that I was complaining as I wanted to cherish whatever peace I had before the barbecue later. 

 

I looked over to my left to see my soon-to-be sister in-law staring straight ahead, her demeanour as poised as a well-taught debutante. 

 

An amused smile appeared on my face at remembering our first conversation. I will admit to having gone a little overboard with my forwardness, but I couldn’t deny that I derived an unfathomable sense of enjoyment from making the seemingly prissy woman squirm. There was nothing malicious about my intentions, nor does my years of military training grant me any right to dissect a person’s character just from knowing them for a mere few hours. However, I’ve always had a knack for reading people and something tells me that there’s more to her than your average, vapid valley girl.

 

At noticing my undeviating gaze on her, she turned to me with a hard look, as if challenging me to offer her another brazen remark.

 

“Look, I’m willing to overlook our little ‘encounter’ just now only if you are willing to apologize for…. what you said.” She coughed and straightened up, as if correcting her posture would make our conversation more dignified.

 

 

As if she weren’t addressing the fact that I told her she had a nice .

 

 

“I clearly remember apologizing.” I replied nonchalantly.

 

 

“You not meaning it, is the problem here.” She countered and I had to fight down an amused smile at how hard she was trying to keep her cool.

 

 

“I’m sorry for not meaning it, then.”

 

 

At this point, she shouldn’t be so surprised of my responses. She should know by now that false pretenses are not my thing. Still, her eyes bugged out and it looked like she wanted to smack me over the head with her clutch while fighting a raging blush at the same time.

 

“What is wrong with you? Why are you making it so difficult for me to give you a second chance?” She said in still barely repressed frustration.

 

“A second chance for what? No matter how many times you ask me to retract my opinions, and I’m very sure you’ll be doing a lot of that, I’m only going to keep speaking my mind. It’s just who I am, princess.” I said evenly.

 

“There you go with the princess thing again! Can you not call me that? My name is Krystal. Call me Krystal.” She was irritated now, I could tell. It didn’t stop me from being a pain in the though. Like I said before, there was something about her getting all riled up that thrilled me to no end.

 

 

“Okay, Krystal,” I complied.

 

 

She threw her hands up, “Okay, Krystal? Is that all you have to say to me after everything?”

 

 

“Well, since you asked. Your nose flares up ten sizes when you’re angry. Like an ape. It’s cute.”

 

 

I refrained from laughing out loud at the expression she had at that moment. 

 

 

 

Yes, this will be fun indeed.

 

 

————————————————————————————————————————

 

 

“Finally! I was starting to wonder when you two would get here.”

 

 

Minho smiled at us as we entered the large, but still empty garden area, looking like the poster child for a Ralph Lauren ad with one hand in his pocket and holding a glass of champagne in the other. He had on a baby blue collared shirt with a navy blue sweater wrapped around his neck and a pair of well-fitted khakis to match.

 

I would not usually have given two damn’s about what I was wearing if Krystal hadn’t scrutinized my attire with such perplexity when I met her at the car before we left. Most of my clothes were given away when I left for S. Korea and therefore the limited wears that were in my possession now were basically what I brought with me to Korea in my average-sized duffel bag. 

 

From the limited selection I had, I managed to find a white long-sleeved shirt and black skinny jeans. And since Minho’s monkey feet were a size to big for me, the only option for shoes I had was my favorite pair of Chucks that were a little worse for wear. 

 

 

Right, so maybe it had a hole or two but I could still walk in it so it was fine.

 

 

Though according to Krystal’s judgy eyes, they were far from it.

 

 

Well, princess and her Cinderella shoes can go take a hike because this is my lucky pair. 

 

 

Nobody touches them.

 

 

Krystal saunters up to my brother with a smile that matched his and they embraced. It was an odd sight to see despite having already seen them kiss before, not because of anything important but for the fact that I wasn’t used to seeing my little brother romantically involved with someone.

 

Krystal is his first girlfriend and I’m pretty sure his first everything else as well.

 

In school, Minho was always known as the nice and quiet kid. He mostly kept to himself, was very studious, had this tight knit group of friends that he never bothered to expand, and was terribly shy in front of new people, especially if they were the fairer . It was easy to take advantage of him because he was so forgiving and timid. Not to mention, he was a late bloomer so believe it or not, I was a little bit more built than him for most of our youth. Trust me, the guns that this guy is packing nowadays hadn’t been there for the majority of his high school life. 

 

And I will take credit for that because well….. I technically made him. 

 

It was entirely my fault he was as timid as he was, because he was comfortably hiding behind me and living in my shadow since we were kids and I always just left it that way. He was used to having me as a shield from the bullies because although I didn’t give him much of the attention that I would have liked to, I still came to his rescue whenever he needed it. 

 

He was the fastest runner in our school but everybody only paid attention to my merits in basketball. His grades were way above average but the rest of the school were only excited about my latest, idiotic stunt that I had managed to pull off without killing myself. He was likely the nicest boy in school but most of the girls were more attracted to my devil-may-care attitude and proficiency in badassery.  

 

It was only towards my senior year that I truly started to re-evaluate my life, and that included my relationship with my brother. That year we grew closer than we’ve ever been and I finally felt like I deserved to be called his sister. I trained him physically and taught him to protect himself. I secretly snuck him into clubs to try to boost his self-confidence with the ladies. That last one is still a secret to my mother and I prefer it be kept that way for now.

 

However, it wasn’t just his personal development that I was preparing him for, but also for the cut-throat world of our family’s company that he had to take over in my place. Whatever feeling of accomplishment that I had for finally taking responsibility of my little brother, went down the toilet the day that I left.

 

 

So clearly, I’m nowhere close to be in the league for the best sister award. I am glad, though, to see that he has grown up well and is getting married no less.

 

 

Can’t hurt that the girl he’s marrying is arguably the hottest girl I’ve ever laid eyes on.

 

 

And trust me when I say that I’ve been with a lot of girls in the years that I’ve lived so far.

 

 

I was brought out of my thoughts when I heard my name and a small sob from behind me.

 

 

My heart clenched as a wave of guilt and shame overcame me in that moment.

 

 

 

“Mom.”

 

 

————————————————————————————————————————

 

 

Krystal’s POV

 

 

The guests started showing up about thirty minutes after we arrived. By now, all two hundred and forty five attendees filled the large expanse of the backyard and seeing that the turnout were amongst the richest and most famed people in the country, it was clear evidence of the prominence held by the Choi family. An event hosted by the Choi’s was not to be missed and an invite to one was a privilege belonging only to those with significant influence. 

 

Then there was Amber. 

 

My eyes were surreptitiously flitting between the CEO of some oil company’s son, who hadn’t stopped looking at my s since he started a conversation with Minho, and the sister of my future husband. It was the first time I had seen her after she and Auntie Choi left to have, what I’m assuming is, a heart-to-heart in some other part of the house. They were away for over an hour and Minho only said ‘They just need some time alone.’ 

 

Amber and her father had yet to meet but I was certain that they were aware of the other’s presence.

 

When they reappeared, I saw for the first time the warmest smile on Amber’s face as she led her mother into the party. The older woman had turned to her daughter and kissed her tenderly on the forehead before leaving to tend to her guests. 

 

My heart swelled at the sight. Like her and her father, I didn’t know much about the soldier’s relationship with her mother except that they used to be very close before her enlistment. My growing confusion and intrigue for the enigmatic woman was frustrating me for obvious reasons, seeing as the few impressions I’ve had of her were rather….. unpleasant.

 

It was the most diverse of emotions I have ever felt for a person whom I’ve known for only five hours.

 

When I turned to glance at her again I was stunned to see her staring straight at me. Not wanting her to think that I was embarrassed at being caught looking at her, my gaze stayed. Unfortunately, she seemed to know this and a smirk slowly appeared on her face. She winked at me then and disappeared into the crowd like she hadn't even been there.

 

 

“Sweetheart, are you alright?” I jerked a little when I felt a hand on my shoulder. 

 

 

I turned and met the concerned eyes of my loving fiancé, “I’m fine. Just daydreaming is all.” 

 

 

He smiled apologetically, “All this business talk is boring you, isn’t it? I’m sorry. I tend to automatically switch to work-mode when the subject is brought up.” 

 

 

I returned his smile but sighed internally. Lately, he has been apologizing a lot about work. Of course, I would never blame him for being so busy as he had just graduated and was still learning the ropes to handling his parent’s company. I could see that he was actually enjoying his job though (the little nerd) so I needn’t worry about him overworking himself.

 

 

“Stop apologizing you dork and go flirt with some more business people. I’ll grab myself a drink.” I said, pecking him on the lips before heading to the buffet table.

 

 

I was just about to take a bite of my hors d’oeuvre when someone came up to me, “Where else would I find you but in the one place where all the food is?”

 

 

I turned to stick my tongue out at her, “Speak for yourself. The free food is the only reason why you come to these things.”

 

 

“No argument there,” The owner of the voice sighed and grabbed the tart that I was about to take before I was interrupted.

 

 

“Unnie, that was mine,” I frowned as she ate the whole thing in one bite.

 

 

“Krystal there’s literally an entire year’s worth of food here.” She deadpanned.

 

 

“I know but I’m a loyal girl, there’s only one hors d’oeuvre that I have my eyes on. Had.” I rolled my eyes.

 

 

My sister laughed at that, “Oh my god, I’m telling Minho that you made an analogy about him and a salmon tart.”

 

 

“Who said anything about Minho. You stole my tart and I will never forgive you,” I grumbled but took another one from the tray, “Now it’s your fault that I have to settle for second best.”

 

 

She shook her head, “I can’t believe I’m related to you you little weirdo.”

 

 

“You’re just jealous that I’m getting married first. Speaking of, where’s your Seobang?”

 

 

It was her turn to roll her eyes, “Stupid woman started flirting with this chick the minute we stepped out of the car. I should divorce her right now. Good for nothing husband.”

 

 

“Can’t divorce your best friend though.” I smiled in amusement.

 

 

“Best friend my fat . She’s supposed to be my stand-in date for these kind of things and the woman goes after the first piece of on heels she sees.”

 

 

“Well, my dearest Jessica, her was the most glorious thing I have ever laid eyes on so can you blame me?” A tall woman with light caramel skin walked up to my sister and slung her arms over her shoulder as she grinned at me, “Hello, Soojungie. How’ve you been beautiful?”

 

 

I forced a smile, harshly pushing away the thoughts of my earlier conversation with a certain someone at the topic of being brought up.

 

 

“I’m the same as I was when I saw you two days ago but thanks for asking. Yourself?”

 

 

“Terrible. I think I’m in love,” The woman sighed miserably as she leant heavily against my sister.

 

 

“Yah! Kwon Yuri your hair is in my mouth.” Jessica complained, pushing the taller woman away, “And you’re not in love, just thinking with your like always.”

 

 

“No Jess, I think I found my soulmate. She’s gorgeous, has the nicest smile that goes all the way up to her eyes, and is completely uninterested in me. The three things I’m attracted to in a woman.”

 

 

“ brain.” My sister mumbled, stuffing another tart into .

 

 

All of a sudden, a loud squeal was heard a distance away. 

 

 

A figure was seen running straight for Amber who had the widest smile I have ever seen on her. The woman with a wave of black hair flying behind her instantly jumped on the soldier, the latter catching her effortlessly. I couldn’t explain why but as I watched the brunette’s arms around the waist of the nameless woman who was peppering kisses all over her face, I had a brief image of doing the same thing to her and the thought didn’t disturb me as much as it should.

 

 

Oh. My. God. I did not just....

 

 

I snatched the glass of champagne from my sister's grasp and gulped it in one go.

 

 

“. No wonder she turned me down. She already has a man.” Yuri cursed, folding her arms.

 

 

“They’re not dating.” I automatically replied, not knowing why I said that when they probably were for all I knew.

 

 

“Do you know them? They’re making a scene and but don’t seem to care.” Jessica asked me.

 

 

“That’s Minho’s sister.” I said absently, watching the two closely as the raven-haired woman dropped down from Amber’s embrace only to wrap her arms around her neck and continued to talk animatedly. Were they an item? This was the person who had patted her brother on the back when she saw him for the first time in four years but now here she was, barely an inch away from this woman.

 

 

“I was hitting on Minho’s sister? Holy Soojungie….. we could’ve been sister-in laws.” Yuri said in awe.

 

 

“No, not that one. I don’t know who she is. The one with the short hair is Amber, Minho’s older sister.” I told her as another, much shorter woman, approached the pair and all three of them were engulfed in a bear hug by the soldier.

 

 

Is she part of a harem or something? How many more women were there???

 

 

“The dude?” Jessica craned her neck to get a better look, “Oh wait, yeah now I see it. Damn, she has a handsome face though.” She said, checking her out.

 

 

“Tell me about it,” I said under my breath before I could stop myself. 

 

 

She’s a serial ert though and I still kind of want to throw a shoe at her face.

 

 

“Baby Jung, you have to introduce us. Your sis in law looks like she could probably kill me with one finger so I need to know if they’re dating and if I can still chase after my eye-smile goddess.” Yuri said to me.

 

 

“Yeah introduce us. I wanna meet your hot sister-in law.” Jessica smirked, chewing on a breadstick. 

 

 

“Her name is Amber and I don't know, it's a little awkward for me. I mean we just met today and-”

 

 

“Whoa whoa whoa. When was the last time I heard you say the word awkward in reference to yourself?" Jessica asked in bewilderment. 

 

 

I blinked. 

 

 

Here I was hesitating on something I wouldn’t even think twice about on a normal day.

 

 

Today wasn’t a normal day though.  

 

 

Today is the day I met Amber Josephine Liu.

 

 

Rolling my eyes at my melodramatic inner-monologue, I motioned for the ‘married’ couple to follow me as I walked towards the brunette and her friends.

 

 

“Amber, do you have a minute? I want to introduce you to my sister and closest friend.” I asked with a forced smile when I approached her. 

 

 

To my relief, she smiled at us and didn’t misbehave like I half thought she would.

 

 

“Wait hold on, you’re The Cannonball, you used to be one of the best shooters in the state.” Yuri exclaimed and shook Amber’s hand.

 

 

The soldier grinned and patted Yuri on the back, “I wouldn't say that, but I can hold my own. Yuri right? Our schools used to compete. Man, feels like ages ago since I last played for state.”

 

 

“You're downplaying it, Amber. We didn't call you The Cannonball for nothing. Hey, we should totally shoot some hoops one of these days.” 

 

 

“Yeah, sounds cool.”

 

 

The two exchanged numbers like the two dumb jocks they were until I cleared my throat.

 

 

Amber looked up and immediately turned to Jessica to shake her hands, “Apologies ma’am. You must be Krystal’s sister. I can tell by the eyes. Although, I’m not sure who’s the younger one.”

 

 

Jessica laughed at that, “Even if you are just being considerate, I’m flattered. I’m Krystal’s older, much smarter sister.”

 

 

“That last one was a joke. It’s a joke.” I said, making sure that that was clear.

 

 

Amber’s expression was nonchalant, but I noticed the glint of mirth in her eyes and I knew for sure that she was most likely holding back whatever retort she had swimming about in that weird mind of hers. 

 

 

“I don’t have sisters but these two are the closest to ones that I’ll ever have.” Amber turned behind her and motioned for the two women, who had stayed behind when we approached, to come over.

 

 

“This is Tiffany Hwang and Kim Taeyeon."

 

 

Tiffany Hwang. She was beautiful alright, seeing her up close I could tell she was made of money. Which begged the question of how Amber would consider someone like her a best friend. From the brief time that I’ve known the soldier, it was obvious that she held some sort of resentment for our lifestyle and it looked like Tiffany was a true blue valley girl who probably has never seen a penniless day in her life.

 

 

After shaking Jessica and I’s hands, Tiffany looked at Yuri with mild contempt. 

 

 

“We’ve met.”

 

 

The tanned woman actually looked sheepish, “You remembered. So about that offer-”

 

 

“Not a chance in hell.”

 

 

Yuri nodded but leaned to Jessica and whispered, “She’s so hot when she glares at me like that.”

 

 

My sister cringed and pushed the taller woman’s face away.

 

 

It was then that I noticed Taeyeon hadn’t spoke a word yet and was slightly hiding behind Amber.

 

 

“I’m Krystal Jung. Minho’s fiancé.” I held out a hand for the shorter woman to shake. She smiled timidly and shook my hand.

 

 

“Hi.”

 

 

“I’m Jessica, nice to meet you,” My sister held her hand out but Taeyeon was looking at it like it was doused in Satan’s blood. She shook it feebly before retreating behind Amber again.

 

 

“Hi.” 

 

 

It was barely a whisper and if you didn’t strain your ears you wouldn’t be able to hear it.

 

 

“Taeyeon's just a little shy around new people but she’s just the cutest thing, isn’t she? Aren’t you Tae-Tae?” Tiffany cooed as she pinched Taeyeon’s cheeks, who was glaring at her like a five-year old wanting to throw a fit.

 

 

Amber’s friends were weird, to put it nicely.

 

 

Just then the woman in question shifted her gaze and her previously pleasant expression darkened significantly. Curious, I followed her line of sight and spotted Mr. Choi looking in our general direction. When he looked like he wanted to come over, Amber faced us and put on a smile.

 

 

“I’m sorry for cutting this short but we have another event to rush to. It was a pleasure meeting you both, hopefully our next one won’t be so rushed.” She said, a hint of unease glossed over her features when she glanced back to her right.

 

 

Sensing their friend’s discomfort, Tiffany bid us goodbye with that mega-watt smile of hers (except for Yuri who she side-eyed) while Taeyeon waved a little and hurried away.

 

 

Before they were out of earshot, I heard Tiffany asking where they were headed to and Amber replied with ‘anywhere but here’.

 

 

“Amber is cool, but her friends are weird. Did you see how that Taeyeon girl was looking at me?” Jessica asked, baffled.

 

 

“Tiffany’s not weird. And I didn’t get my answer if she’s single or not. Though I have to hand it to you Krystal, you’re living with a pretty interesting sister-in-law there.”

 

 

“Interesting how?” I questioned.

 

 

That woman was interesting alright. Just not in the same way that I think Yuri is referring to.

 

 

“You’re telling me you don’t know what happened to the person you’re supposedly living with?”

 

 

“No, seeing as I never knew she existed two weeks ago. Why, what happened to her?” I asked, not bothering to suppress my eagerness to know more about that walking conundrum. 

 

 

I couldn’t help that the woman intrigued me as much as she irritated me.

 

 

“Oh that’s right, no wonder she looked a little familiar. That’s the soldier Amber?” Jessica asked with wide eyes.

 

 

“Unless you know another soldier by the name of Amber Liu.”

 

 

I shook my head, “Wait, Liu? Minho’s last name is Choi the last I remembered.” Then it was my eyes that widened, “She's adopted?” I exclaimed, scandalized. Then another, rather displeasing thought, of her being married crossed my mind.

 

 

Yuri waved it off, “No, no baby Jung. She’s a Choi alright. Well, before she was disowned by her father that is.”

 

 

For some reason unbeknownst to me, my heart tugged the slightest bit at hearing that.

 

 

“Only because he was so pissed at her after she did that. Everybody blamed him for it, even Mrs. Choi.” Jessica said, shaking her head at the memory.

 

 

“Did what?” I asked, frustrated at them for beating around the goddamn mulberry bush.

 

 

Both of them turned to me as if just realizing that I was there.

 

 

 

 

“Well, right after graduation..... Amber ran away from home and joined the army. She hasn't been home until now. Seven years later.”

 

 

————————————————————————————————————————

 

 

A/N : So this was initially tagged Soosica but it’s now Taengsic because as much as I love my long-legged shikshin, I’m feeling Taeng/Sica more in this story. Sorry if anybody subbed for Soosica :/

 

————————————————————————————————————————