One

Unexpectations

”So have you thought about what you’re going to do when you’re done here?” the teacher sitting across the table, gave me a stern look. Nope.

       “I have.” Nope.

       “You don’t sound too excited about it.”

       That was because even if it had crossed my mind from time to time, I had absolutely no idea. My life was like a gray frame: not much to see, not much to discover.

       “So what have you planned?” he asked me, searching for more specification.

       “Not too sure yet.” I sighed. At least I was honest with both myself and the teacher. Always something.

       “You better start deciding soon, Song Hyejin. It’s more beneficial to plot the future as early as possible. There are only four months left, please have that in mind.” the man in front of me shook his head. “That would be all, Hyejin,” he stood up and made his way to the door. He disappeared without additional words.

       Left alone in the room, I leaned back and let my eyes wander over the ceiling. Was there really nothing more to life than to get educated, get a nice job and then just wither away as time passes? Was that what my existence was destined to become, like so many others?

       I stood up and with heavy steps I went out into a white-brownish corridor. The only one who could brighten my mood today was Sang Sujin, my best friend.

       Sujin was a bit of the odd one, she had always been. But I didn’t mind, I was also odd in my own way, according to her at least (my description had been “boring” but she wouldn’t accept that). Sang Sujin was the kind of girl to dye her hair in crazy colours whenever she felt like it and she wore heavy makeup even if it was against the university rules. She simply didn’t care, and no one else actually did either.

       Sujin liked girls the way many would say a girl would like a guy. She often talked about how much more right it felt when being with a girl compared with a boy. I once asked her if she ever felt something like that for me, out of curiosity. She simply answered that just because I was a girl, it didn’t mean I would “turn her on. There’s gotta be that spark of attraction, of love, hun. Even if you’re quite attractive, I must say.”

       In her own successfulness with love, she was obsessed with finding me a partner. Boy or girl, didn't matter. I wouldn't be able to count the amount of times she had called, or sent a text, or even letters whenever she found someone she thought was 'suitable'.

       “First, I get more time for myself, not that I don’t like you but you know, I need my alone-time. Second, it would brighten up your days pretty damn much. Just sayin’,” she said every single time she had organized a date for me. But who was I kidding, what did I know about men? That’s right, nothing at all.

       No, I was quite happy by myself, with my best friend and all. Even though I had one day not too recently had asked myself why the universe exists, which was probably not a good idea.

       “Hyejiiiiiiin!” someone jumped onto my back from behind. I, who had been sunken in deep thought, yelled. My heart raced and all my flight-reflexes were on alert.

       “How did your meeting go?” Sujin, who now sat on my back, laughed. I caught my breath and shook her off.

       “Hey you scared me!”

       “I know, so how did it go?”

       “Bad.”

       “Bad? But you’re brilliant! You always get the best results!” Sujin frowned.

       “And? What else?” I said casually.

       “Hmm,” she stopped a moment to think. “My friend, I believe you have an existential crisis. A severe one,” she said and smiled. “But I know something that could cheer you up!”

       Sujin gave me a wink and I laughed.

       “Not now Sujin, I really have to go to the next class now. Look, I’m already late!”

       “You’re five minutes early! I wouldn’t call that late.”

       I smiled and lightly punched her arm.

       “Hey make sure you don’t strain your face when smiling like that. Doesn’t happen often so we have to be careful.”

       I teasingly stuck out my tongue towards her and ran to class.

 

       Compared to the poorly lit corridor, the classroom was so light that my eyes hurt when I stepped inside. I went over to sit on my regular spot, on which I had always been sitting, every single time for over two years. I looked at the seat next to me; it had been empty for about a month now. The guy had moved to the States to finish his education in a prestigious university.

       The rest of the class entered along with the teacher and the lesson started. The teacher stood right in the front of the classroom, waving his arms and explaining something we already knew. So for once I could spare myself some time to sit back and relax.

       Suddenly there was a loud bang on the wooden door. The teacher interrupted himself to go open it. His expression brightened when he saw the visitor.

       “Ah, Yixing. Please come in.” he said and motioned for the visitor to step inside.

       “Class, this is our new exchange student from China, Zhang Yixing,” the teacher closed the door and followed the boy inside the classroom.

       I glanced their way to see who this boy may be. I had never seen him before. He looked rather ordinary, maybe a bit better-looking than average. But there was something about him that caught my attention. Something I couldn’t quite put my finger on.

       “Yixing, you can take that empty seat over there,” the teacher said and pointed towards the empty spot next to me. The boy nodded and without a word he quietly ran to the seat and sat down. Whilst the teacher continued talking, I took the opportunity to glance at the boy to get a better look. When thinking about it, he was probably quite a lot above average. The thought annoyed me.

       The boy had also forgotten to bring all the materials required for the lesson, including a notebook. I snorted silently for myself.

       Oh Zhang Yixing, how are you gonna make it here.

       The lesson ended and I hurried to pack my things. When I turned to leave, I saw the boy stand in front of me, reaching out his hand to me.

       “Ophthalmic. My name is Zhang Yixing. I am an obtained student from China. It’s nice to meet you. What is your name?” he said with confidence and gave me a shining smile.

       “You practised that, didn’t you? It’s 'hello', not 'opthalmic', and 'exchange', not 'obtained'.”

       “I’m sorry, my Korean isn’t the best. It’s nice to meet you. What is your name?” he tried again.

       I sighed.

       “I’m Hyejin. And I guess it’s nice to meet you too. ”


Hello everyone!

I'm finally out from my writers block (again) and I'm celebrating this with a new fic: Unexpectations

I really hope you enjoyed the first chapter, please look forward to the future ones! *bows*

Stay awesome! <3