Five.

Nothing to Fear.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 5

 

She met him last Sunday, which meant it had been a week since she last met him. After their paper conversation in the garden, Shinhye had been waiting for him to come over but he didn’t show up at all.  

 

Her brother still had the jamming session as usual but there was no sign of Yonghwa among his friends.

 

“Seojoon oppa, why didn’t Yonghwa join your jamming session this week?”

 

Seojoon looked at her, surprised and end up grinning.

 

“Why? Do you want to see him that much?”

 

“No,” she denied. “I’m just asking,” she pouted her red lips.

 

Seojoon laughed softly. “His grandparents arrived from Busan on Monday. His grandfather is sick, so he has to take care of him for awhile.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“Don’t worry pony. I will send your regards to him,” he teased.

 

“Ahh oppa!” Shinhye threw the pillow at him. “I will tell Jihyo eonnie about the surprised if you insist on being like this.”

 

Seojoon had been teasing her all week at breakfast, lunch and dinner.

 

“Oh, that sounds good. I mean, if that’s the way to help you to feel comfortable and start back your relationship with Jihyo, why not?”

 

Seojoon had a point there. Remember Jihyo was not listed as her safe people although they used to be so close? Shinhye couldn’t even start a simple conversation like saying hi with her. She even locked herself in her room whenever Jihyo dropped by.

 

“Fair enough,” she admitted.

 

“Shinhye ah, everything will be fine. You will get better and become the Shinhye that we all know. I know you will become the prettiest bridesmaid on my wedding day. This all won’t be forever. You will come out from your darkness. We will help you.

 

When he mentioned darkness, Shinhye remembered that paper conversation she had with Yonghwa that lead her to become a kimchi. And when she remembered back the drawing of the raddish kimchi that she kept in her purse, she couldn’t help but smiled.

 

“And Yonghwa will help you too. Don’t worry, he will come over next week,” Seojoon started to again.

 

***

 

That evening, mom received a call from Dr Kang asking about his patient’s progress. Mom told him everything --- from the anxiety attack till the interaction she made with Yonghwa --- and Dr Kang was glad to hear that. However, mom was clueless when Dr Kang asked about the coffee shop homework, which Shinhye never told her.

 

“Sweetheart, you should have told us that Dr Kang asked you to go to the coffee shop,” mom sighed.

 

“I’m sorry eomma. I’m just scared…”

 

“Dr Kang was so happy to hear about your interaction with Yonghwa ssi. This shows that you are slowly letting other people into your life. So he wants you to be more comfortable and start blending with the public,” mom explained

 

“I know… but how could I do that when I can’t even look into your eyes without my dark glasses? Am I really ready to let other people into my life again?” she could felt the tears at the edge of her eyes.

 

Mom grabbed her hand. “Sweetheart, you have all of us to help you. There’s nothing to be afraid of. We will be by your side till you get better. Understand that?”

 

Shinhye nodded her head as she swallowed back the tears from falling.

 

“Thank you eomma. I’m sorry for not telling you,” she hugged the elder. “I will try my best for everyone. Thank you for being by my side until now.”

 

“It’s okay my child. It’s okay,” mom caressed her hair. It calmed her so much, she felt like falling asleep.

 

“Shinhye imo!” Manse’s voice was heard from the hallway. “This snack paper is for you!” he announced, showing them the blue paper in his hand.

 

“Manse dear, where you got that?” mom asked in surprised.

 

“Yonghwa samchoon said if I give this to imo, he will give me my favourite snack,” said the young boy.

 

“Omo,” mom looked at Shinhye with a smile. “Ok, I will leave now.”

 

Shinhye nodded in embarrassment. When her mom was finally away, she grabbed the paper from Manse.

 

‘So Yonghwa was here? But I didn’t even notice he came over… Maybe because I think too much with Dr Kang words just now, I forgot about my surrounding,’ she said to herself as she unfolded the blue paper.

 

Hi Kimchi.

 

He’d drawn the same radish kimchi with dark glasses again. She felt twitched into a smile.

 

Hi tokki*.

 

*tokki is rabbit in Hangul/Korean

 

She was terrible in drawing but she managed to draw a bunny that was smiling with his tooth showing. He sent Manse away again as the honorable messenger and wait with patience.

 

She heard footsteps approaching her from the hallway, so she turned around excitedly as she thought it was Manse. But she looked up --- it was him. It’s Yonghwa.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter