Part of Your World

The Little Merman

 

Oh. This is a party!

 

Yixing watched in amusement as men and women alike were dressed in their finest clothing. They all gathered together, laughing and talking and dancing. There was music playing softly in the background and Yixing found himself swaying lightly to the melody. Baekhyun caught a glimpse of Yixing from the corner of his eye and he felt his heart skip a beat.

 

Yixing was wearing a black suit that fit him perfectly. The crisp, white shirt underneath his jacket looked so nice against his complexion and the way his tie hung loosely around his neck as if he hadn’t known how to tie it made Baekhyun giggle. Yixing was so foreign to him and everything seemed to be so foreign to Yixing. Prince Baekhyun liked having the boy around to show things to. The way Yixing’s eyes lit up whenever he told him what this was or what that was made Baekhyun feel a warmth on the inside that he hadn’t felt in a long time.

 

‘He looks so lovely tonight. Even more handsome than usual,’ Baekhyun thought, ‘I didn’t think that was possible.'

 

Yixing looked away from the chandelier he had previously been admiring (he was mostly curious how it lit up the room like the sun when they were inside and it was nighttime) and caught Baekhyun staring at him with those beautiful eyes of his. The prince quickly averted his gaze and took interest in the guests that had just begun dancing while grabbing a glass of champagne. Yixing felt an overwhelming sense of nervousness come over him suddenly, watching the way Baekhyun held the glass to his lips, gently parting them to take a small sip.

 

I wonder what his kiss must feel like.

 

Baekhyun looked from the corner of his eye towards Yixing and felt his face grow hot as he gulped down the rest of his drink. The boy’s eyes were locked on him and he had the most intense look on his face as he watched as if in a trance. Baekhyun his lips anxiously and put his glass down on a nearby table. He took one small step towards Yixing and decided that he would make a bold move that was certainly out of character for him.

 

“Yixing,” Baekhyun whispered, looking at the tie hanging around his neck and reaching to fix it. He could see Yixing swallowing hard, “Would you like to dance with me?” his voice come out airy, but he never faltered. He wanted this. He wanted Yixing.

 

Dance. Yixing looked down at his legs and smiled so wide that his dimple reappeared on his face. Dancing is for humans. I’m a human! He looked back into Baekhyun’s eyes, his sparkling with wonder and Baekhyun’s shining with hope, and nodded excitedly.

 

“Do you know how?” Baekhyun asked, as he gently took Yixing by the hand and led him to the center of the ballroom. Yixing realized then that he didn’t - he felt flustered and a little stupid then. He shook his head sadly and Baekhyun chuckled softly, “Just follow my lead.”

 

Baekhyun lightly took Yixing’s hand and placed it on his shoulder before placing his own around Yixing’s waist. Carefully, he took Yixing’s hand in his other and began to slowly move back and forth, swaying lightly to the melody. There was a tension between the two that neither could quite describe. Everything between them was silent, but they kept their eyes on each other the entire time. It was as if everything that they needed to say could be spoken through the way they moved together - smoothly, anxiously, delicately, sincerely.

 

Lost in their own world, Prince Baekhyun and Yixing barely noticed that the music had stopped. The two were so captivated by one another, that nothing could pull them apart.There was a moment when they both slowed down and in that moment they felt their bodies move closer together. Their hearts beating rapidly as one, their breathing hitched in nervousness, and their faces inching closer and closer. Eyes locked on one another’s lips, they pressed closer until-

 

“Oh so beautiful,” the words were clear as day in Baekhyun’s ears and the sound made his heart flutter. He pulled away from Yixing quickly and turned around to see a man sitting with the band. His voice so familiar to him, that song bringing him back to the day that he almost lost his life to the ocean.

 

My voice. Yixing’s face fell ashen and he reached for Baekhyun’s hand to pull him back, but the prince moved towards the sound of that voice. The man sitting with the band had him hypnotized, forgetting all about Zhang Yixing and the almost kiss.

 

Baekhyun, that voice is mine. Yixing wanted to yell, but his voice had been stolen from him. And here it was, coming from the lips of another.

 

“It’s you!” Baekhyun exclaimed, “You’re the one who saved my life,”

 

The man nodded, a small smile forming on his lips as he finished his song.

 

“What’s your name?” Baekhyun asked in wonder, happiness filling his voice as he spoke.

 

“I’m Lay,” the familiar voice responded.

 

Yixing felt his heart break and sink into the depths of despair. Prince Baekhyun, it was me. It’s always been me. There was no voice to say these words as he opened and closed his mouth in desperation. Frustrated tears ran down his cheeks. Leaking, I'm leaking again. What are these called? Tears? I'm crying, that's it. Why does it hurt so much? What is this feeling, Baekhyun? Yixing continued to try and scream out to his beloved, but no words came out of his mouth while he watched Baekhyun smile blissfully at the other man.

 

I only have one day left. Baekhyun, I need you…

 

***

 

Yixing had gone for a stroll along the beach, aware that this would be his last day as a human and with his freedom. Baekhyun had fallen completely in love with Lay since he arrived last night and had completely forgotten about his dear guest. However, there was something that bothered him. How could someone else have the exact same voice as him? It didn’t make sense. The witch was supposed to keep his voice safe… That witch.

 

It didn’t take long for Yixing to run back to the castle and he did not hesitate to burst into the quarters of Lay. The other man looked up from his vanity, startled by the sudden entrance. He watched Yixing from the mirror and smiled kindly. Yixing couldn’t say anything, but his expression spoke a thousand words of disgust and anger.

 

“Oh!” Lay said surprised, “Yixing, how are you?” Yixing furrowed his eyebrows and glared. Lay chuckled, not with his own voice, but that of the sea witch’s. I knew it.

 

“I see you’ve figured it out,” her voice came from the mouth of Lay, “You were just getting to be a little too close to Prince Baekhyun. That would not have done me any good, dear. You see, I need your soul. Mhm. I really do.” Yixing kept his slanted eyes focused on the witch, his rage was beginning to take over. He had never been this angry or upset in his life.

 

She’s tricked me. She’s used me.

 

“Would you like to know why?” She sang and swiftly moved across the room to hold Yixing’s hands, “Because your Father, the King of the Sea, will do anything to have you back home safely. Even if it means relinquishing all of his powers to, oh, me, for instance.” Yixing’s jaw dropped, but he couldn’t move, he couldn’t do anything. The witch had him captured.

 

“And there’s nothing you can do about it now, sweetie.” the witch continued to explain, leaving Yixing frozen to his spot,  “The only way to stop it is true love’s kiss, but what can you do? Prince Baekhyun is in love with me.” her voice let out a shrill chuckle. The boy opened his mouth trying to will out a scream, but nothing came. “Sorry, honey, I can’t hear you.” She grinned tapping lightly on the clam that hung around her neck, “No one can."

 

Before Yixing could do anything to the cruel creature, the door was thrown open once more. Baekhyun was standing there dressed for a party. He grinned sheepishly at Lay and then finally noticed Yixing in the room as well. He smiled a little awkwardly before turning his attention to Lay once more.

 

“Are you coming?” He asked, “The boat is almost ready to leave the dock,” Baekhyun fixed his tie and looked to Yixing, “Um, you can come too, if you’d like.”

 

Lay smiled devilishly, “I’ll be ready soon, but yes, Yixing should join us. It’ll be fun.”

 

***

 

Everyone is dancing. Yixing sighed, but no sound came out. He was on a boat, The Royal Pearl II. Everyone seemed to be having a rather enjoyable time celebrating the construction of the new vessel, especially Baekhyun. He was all smiles, flashing his pearl-white teeth and his eyes turned into crescents, little wrinkles forming at the corners. All because of Lay. No, all because of Yixing’s voice and the witch’s enchantment. But what could Yixing do? Look at me, Baekhyun, with those eyes. One last time...

 

Nervously, he watched as the sun began to set. The first signs coming from the orange and pink hues that began to light up the sky. Yixing watched with careful eyes, This will probably be my last sunset. Consumed in thought, he didn’t notice that the boat had begun to rock gently back and forth nor did he notice the rain clouds coming from the east nor did he notice the shouts for him to come in off of the deck as a storm raged towards them.

 

“What is he doing out there?!” Baekhyun asked in a panic.

 

The boat was swaying a lot more now and the waves crashed up against the side of the boat and over the railing. Yixing continued to lean and stare out at the horizon as the sun began to dip down below the surface. The boat tipped hard one way and knocked Yixing out of his thoughts. He realized then that a storm had arrived and that he was stumbling forwards, and over the railing.

 

“Yixing!” Baekhyun cried and despite himself he ran out onto the deck and reached out his hands grasping at nothing as his new friend fell listless into the dark waters.

 

Lay tumbled out after Baekhyun to try and grab him away from Yixing, but on his way he tripped due to the rocking of the boat and the clam shell came loose around his neck. He watched in horror as the little white shell hit the ground and smashed into a thousand pieces. The bright light of Yixing’s voice that had been locked away found it’s way to it’s owner and just as the boy’s body hit the waves he cried out...

 

“Baekhyun!” his voice travelled to the prince’s ears and Baekhyun’s eyes widened in shock. He looked over his shoulder at Lay who was now just a tangle of black tentacles and a woman’s body that writhed in amongst it all. Yixing, I’ve been tricked. Baekhyun looked down into the black waters and dove deep into the sea, fully aware of his inability to swim.

 

As Baekhyun’s body was engulfed by the cold waters of the ocean, he noticed Yixing, lifeless and floating downwards. He let out a cry, quickly closing his mouth and trying to swim towards the boy he had grown to love. He made no progress, but instead thrashed about, his eyes never leaving Yixing’s figure.

 

Behind the black clouds, the sun set over the horizon.

 

Yixing’s body was then encompassed by a bright light. Baekhyun shut his eyes tight as Yixing’s legs slowly transformed back into his beautiful, purple tail. The feeling of having no legs once again saddened Yixing, but he took in a deep breath, almost out of relief. Not two seconds after, he swam as fast as he could to Baekhyun, pulling the prince’s body out of the water quickly and laying him upon a rock that jutted from the water.

 

“Please wake up, Baekhyun,” Yixing breathed, “I need you.” his eyes searched for any signs of life while his hands roamed the prince’s body, trying to shake him awake.

 

Meanwhile, the witch aboard the boat let out a wicked laugh, diving into the waters as she did so. The people on the boat watched in terror at the scenes they were witnessing, rushing onto the deck of the boat to watch what they could see. As the witch’s body sunk into the ocean, she moved towards the two boys. However, a great force seemed to grab at her body, pulling her back far from Yixing and the prince. It was King Junmyeon who appeared then, trident in hand and rising up from the waves. He looked more than angry, as he struck down the witch with one blow.

 

The witch’s curses and enchantments were no match for the strength of the King. She let out a horrific scream that disappeared along with her body and the dark clouds overhead. The waters settled and the night became clear. The moon was full and reflected across the water as if it were a mirror. Everything was still.

 

A small head poked out from the water, a rainbow fish that slowly joined Yixing’s side. The little prince rest against the rock, sobbing as he clutched at Baekhyun’s shirt. A little white fin reached up and gently Yixing’s arm. He looked down with tear-stained eyes at his friend, his chest heaving with each cry.

 

“Sehun,” he sobbed, “What can I do?”

 

"I'm so sorry, Yixing," Sehun whispered.

 

“Let me see him,” Junmyeon interrupted, his voice stronger than before yet kind, “He is that man who makes you happy, right? He is the reason you wish to live among the humans?”

 

Yixing nodded through his tears.

 

“I see,” Junmyeon waved his hand over the boy’s body and then he sunk back into the water, “Take care of each other then,”

 

A small cough tore Yixing’s gaze from his Father. Baekhyun coughed until the water dispelled from his lungs and he was blinking his eyes open. The prince looked at Yixing with pleasant, but tired eyes, taking his hand in his own. He looked down at Yixing’s tail and was surprised by the sight. Then he turned his eyes to Junmyeon.

 

“Thank you,” Baekhyun said.

 

Junmyeon raised his hand, “You make my son happy. That’s more than enough.”

 

“Father,” Yixing gasped.

 

“I’m sorry, son. I understand now,” Junmyeon closed his eyes thoughtfully, “I know what it’s like to be in love. Your Mother would want this too.” These were the last words Yixing ever heard from his Father as he disappeared into the depths of the sea, only to return to the surface whenever Yixing waded into the water.

 

“So,” Baekhyun chuckled softly, “You’re a merman?”

 

Yixing nodded, “Yeah.”

 

“Can you stay with me?”

 

“I’d love to.”

 

“I’m going to miss you, Yixing,” a small voice sniffled, disturbing the moment.

 

“Sehunnie!” Yixing gasped, reaching out to pet the head of the little fish.

 

“Why don’t you join us?” Baekhyun asked shyly. Sehun nodded all too happily.

 

The two laughed at the eagerness of the small fish before turning their eyes to each  other. Baekhyun carefully lifted himself from the rock and threaded his fingers through Yixing’s reddish hair. They admired one another for a brief instant, searching each other’s eyes with reddening cheeks as they finally brought their lips together. Soft. His kiss is soft and sweet. A light tingling started in the fins of Yixing’s tail that worked its way up his body until he unwillingly pulled himself away from Baekhyun. He looked down and blushed, a bashful grin creeping onto his face.

 

“Legs.” He whispered in astonishment.

 

A small giggle escaped Baekhyun’s lips as he brought them down to Yixing’s once more for another long kiss. Yixing’s arms slowly wound their way around Baekhyun’s waist as he pulled him closer. They had both made sacrifices for each other and they understood that nothing would ever be easy, but they were willing to work together. Wrapped in one another’s arms, they giggled and intertwined fingers. And it was in this moment that Yixing and Baekhyun both found a reason to love again.