Chapter One: Baseball

The Lucky One

He was trying to make sense of it all.  How he felt nothing yet, his tears were falling like a waterfall.  Hearing just the words, first and second.  He then realized, it was because he had always been a second choice.  Yet, there he was, listening to her over the phone; of how much she wanted to be first.  So, the tears ran down like a waterfall, creating a wide ocean of mixed emotions that he couldn't fish out.  With the very last piece of his heart, that he had saved for her; he spoke words as soft as the clouds, yet vanishing with one touch.  Saying:


"It's okay to be second.  Sometimes, just sometimes, we can't get what we really want."  Maybe, just maybe, he knew then.  That her heart would never be his and that being second, was all he ever was going to be.


"Good night.  I hope you'll sleep well tonight."


"Adassoo," she softly replied, "good night."

Some people go through life thinking that no matter what, you'll eventually find the one if you keep searching.  Some, on the other hand, believe that you'll eventaully find the one once you stop searching.  Just close your eyes and slowly squeeze your way into your nightmares or fantasy world.  It's better to be away, than to be awake by reality, reminding you of all your worries.  Even the nightmares in your dreams couldn't possibly kill you.  Only the ones in your waking life does.


"Yaaaaah, punk!"  Illhoon's umma furiously knocked on his bedroom door, "If you don't wake up right now you're going to be late!  Aigoo!"  She hurriedly down the stairs, "This is why I should've made you dorm instead!"  She went on and on, until her voice faded away from Illhoon's ears.


He slowly sat up on his bed, yawned then stretched before grabbing his towel that rested upon the arm rest of his chair.  He made his way out of his room into the bathroom, turning on the water leaving it on for a good 30 second until the water began to run hot.  He took off his clothes, enter the bathtub and stood still, letting the water run down his skin.


"It's going to be a long day..." he sigh.


Zelo grabbed his backpack and his duffle bag before heading out of his dorm room.  Students were already heading out just like him.  The hallway filled with hockey players, basketball players, soccer players and so on.  He lowered his cap and made his way towards the elevator, waiting for it to open.


"Yaaa!  Zelo-ah."  He turned around to the fimiliar voice calling for him, "Wait up!"  Running up to him was Jongup, "You're up early today.  Why didn't you wake me up?"  He tried to catch his breath, as the elevator opened and the two step inside.


"It's going to be a long day," Zelo smiled, "It's a new school year.  Another year to prove myself, that's all."


The sky was clear blue, fall was slowly approaching.  The tree's that were once green were slowly changing colors.  Students at the University were making their way to their classes.  Clubs were outside handing out their flyers, music were loud and from every corner you can hear people chatting.  It was a new school year, with new students and old students.  College, the college life was...


"Stressful, last semester was so stressful!" Jimin leaned back against the classroom wall, "Last year was my first year and I tell you, it's nothing like high school."  He stared out the window from his seat.

"Is it that bad?"  Jungkook's eyes widen.


"Well...if you're not on top of your game," he sat up straight now, "the good thing about college is...that I can actually try to have some classes with you, like this class."


"Yeah."  


The students started making their way into the classroom, taking seats and making sure they were going to stay in the class.  Zelo and Jongup sat next to Jimin and Jungkook who were at the back and next to the windows.  Illhoon and Sungjae also entered with Illhoon sitting infront of Jungkook and Sungjae infront of Jongup.  The six boys became quiet.  Until their professor finally walked in.


"Perfect," she smiled, "it seems like we have enough seat for everyone...so most likely, those of you who are on the waiting list will be added on, if the other students who are enrolled don't show up today, I'll start off with taking roll."  She opened her agenda book.


Zelo slightly turned his head towards Jimin's direction, trying to not make it obvious that he was looking at him, while Jimin can tell Zelo was staring at him from the corner of his eyes.  Illhoon lightly turning his head to his left shoulder to make it seem as if he was looking at Sungjae, but he could see Jongup who was looking at his papers and half of Zelo.


"Okay, welcome to your first day of Philosophy 310."


It was going to be an interesting school year, with the three starters of the baseball players.  Who were known to not get along.