The Awkward Giant

Trip To BeiJing

I get to the top of the stairs and run straight at her. Yelling, “WHAT KIND OF PERSON ARE YOU? ARE YOU CRAZY? THAT IS YOUR CHILD. WHY WOULD YOU PULL HER OFF?!” I get closer to her. Ready to slap a (pardon my language). Just as I was about to make contact with her face, someone grabs my wrist to stop me. I try to struggle out of the grip, not taking my eyes off of this woman, who was already cowering. When the struggle became futile, I turned around, getting ready to tell off whoever was holding me back. “LET GO OF ME. WHY WOULD YOU PROTECT THIS SORRY EXCUSE OF A HUMAN BEING, LET ALONE A MOTHER.

         When I turned around, fixing to go ham on the idiot, I see an awkward giant towering over me, it was none other than, Wu YiFan, or as others know him, Kris Wu. In his low voice he says, “I don’t think that would be wise of you. Not because I disagree with the circumstances, but because she is a model and her life is her face…” Erasing the thought of who was in front of me, I yell, “SO HER FACE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN HER OWN DAUGHTER?!” As I continued yelling, Yun and MeiHua arrived at the top. Yun places MeiHua down.

         WeiJing, seeing her daughter and not wanting to lose face, she tries to run up to her daughter. “Baobei-ah! Are you alright?” Before the model could reach her daughter, the daughter ran off crying and clung onto me. “Noooo! You’re scary! You pulled me!” I was actually quite surprised that MeiHua actually felt that tug on her clothes. She is one smart cookie… Shaking the amazement from my head, I cradle and comfort the little girl. Not wanting MeiHua to live a life that would be filled with a selfish mother, who wouldn’t hesitate to abandon, let alone kill, her daughter, I had an idea.

        I turned to Kris and ask him to translate for me. I told him to tell her, “If she doesn’t want her daughter that badly, I’ll adopt her. I’ll take her into my care and provide what I can for her, keeping her safe. Tell her to give me all of MeiHua’s paperwork and things. I don’t want to leave here knowing that someone so selfish is not willing to take care of someone so precious.” Kris and Yun looked at my in astonishment and Yun was about to protest. Before he could do anything, I said, “Don’t worry. I know what I’m doing. I’ve taken care of many children and I can think of ways to take care of this one. Her life is definitely important. Plus, I can take her to the States and she could live a better life.” Hearing my reasoning, Yun didn’t say a thing.

         “Wait, you’re from the states?” Kris asked me. I gave him a “no-duh” look. “I am speaking perfect English, aren’t I?” I saw him mentally facepalm himself and proceeded to translate.

As he was translating, I saw the model's eyes shine bright with her terrible acting. At first she contemplated the idea (for the effects) and then the fake waterworks came. She agreed with the idea in "hopes that her daughter would lead a better life that she can't provide." I rolled my eyes and we exchanged contact information, along with Kris' (we need our translator), to get things done.

As I was about to leave with Yun and MeiHua, I feel another grab at my hand. I turn around and it was Kris. "Uhm... Yes?" I asked him.

"Uh... I just wanted to say... Uhm..." He looks down to see he was still holding my hand. I blush, looking away. "Nevermind... I'll contact you with information about the paperwork and stuff..." He said and then awkwardly left.

Well... That was weird. I look at MeiHua, who had fallen asleep in my arms. I wonder how I'll explain this to my family... And my boss... I'll call her later to tell her about it... And ask if I could bring her to work with me... Oh well. I smile and tell Yun to call it a day.


Later that night... Like... 10PM...

"MeiHua-Ah! Let's get ready for bed! Okay?" I call out to her. The little girl comes running towards me giggling.

As I turn out the light and snuggle right next to my soon-to-be-daughter, my phone lights up.

*Ding!*

Man... I was just about to go to bed... I have work tomorrow... I pick up my phone and see that it was a message from Kris. Bewildered as to why he would message me so late at night... I open up the message and it was just him telling me the details of the adoption stuff. As I was about to thank him and end the conversation, he starts up a new one.

Kris: So... Uhh... I'm curious. Why are you in Beijing?

Me: Well... I'm here for an internship. Only chance I get before I graduate from college.

Kris: Wait... What? You haven't graduated college yet? How old are you?

Me: About to be 21 next month. Then four days after, I'll be back in the states.

Kris: You're so young! Wow! So young, yet you are taking up so much responsiblities...

Me: It happens... I'm used to it, I guess. I've been pretty independent.

Kris: ...Wow... Uhm... Hey, do you think we could meet up tomorrow? If you aren't busy? ...For the adoption stuff, of course...

Wow, smooth

Me: Sure... But it would have to be after 5. Cause I work until then.

Kris: THAT'S FINE. Well... I'll see you then! I'll pick you up at your work place!

I send him the address. Rereading the conversation, I chuckle. Looking down at MeiHua, a content smile on my face. I kiss her forehead and fall asleep.