Flashlight

Call my name
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

PS ; Damn, I wrote in present tense and not in the past like the 1st chapter, I really hope you don’t mind..

 

Days have passed and today I’m having troubles with one of the animals in the zoo. We have to sedate an elephant because he had a fight with another one, it arrives frequently since they still are a bit savage and need to mark their territory. Fortunately, Sunny is here today and she can help me with the team. Since they’ve changed most of the employees, for those kind of manipulations it’s a bit hard for them to cooperate efficiently. The big elephant is now calmer and I finally can carefully give him an injection, shooting with the gun because of course it’d be too dangerous to go closer.

We wait for him to fall asleep and then the rush starts. We have one hour. Everything is prepared, we’ve already put him inside a box so the other elephants won’t bother us and now we only need to treat him. I ask my co-workers to clean the wound, to prepare what I need and I quickly put gloves on for the work to be impeccable.

Once they are done with the cleaning, Sunny comes to help me and we apply some medication, to soothe the pain. The wound is just behind the elephant’s hear so we need to lean against him a bit, I really like that job, being so close to the animals, taking care of them, who wouldn’t be happy with a life like this ?

We heal up the wound with some strong threads and our work is done. I thank all the personal that came to help us and we exit the box, leaving some pealed bananas for the elephant when he’ll wake up and wait just to be sure everything is okay.

I’m alone with Sunny, we have little talks mostly about the zoo, as always and she reminds me I need to buy a flashlight. Normally, we have an enormous stock of it but for an unknown reason we’re out of stock. I will note it in the material list but still, I will buy one for tomorrow it could be important. We say our goodbyes, she finished later and I go to the cloakroom to change myself.

I take a little shower and quickly comes out, my hair still wet but by the time I get home it’ll be certainly dry.

I open the door, my bag in my hand and gasp. I almost bumped against Changmin, one of the employees in the same zoo that works in a part I rarely go to. He has felt my hand against his back so he turns his head to look at me, a smile creeping on his lips.

“Hey..”

“Hey, Changmin ? Sorry, I didn’t saw you” I laugh nervously, shaking my hand in front of him but he just shrugs, his smile never leaving his lips.

“That’s okay.. Sooyoung ?” I nod, so he remembers me. He was here last year, when I came to work here for the first time after coming from Japan. Because I’ve lived in Japan for four years before and ended my cursus there too. Sometimes I miss Osaka and Tokyo.. but I’m already getting used to Korea even if I’m certainly going back to Japan one of those days, at least to visit.

“Do you want to go out for a drink later ?” I’m taken aback, we don’t really know each other but he seems nice and eager to know me. I can see it in his eyes and he seems sincere, I can’t refuse. I bite my lip and nod once more.

“Oh yes.. When, where ?” I look at my watch, the stores are going to close and I really need to buy that flashlight, Changmin is thinking and I think he sees that I’m in a hurry.

“Let’s say here, in front of the zoo at 8pm, okay ?”


“Hm.. Nae! See you later!” I feel sorry for him because I wanted our little chat to be a little less awkward but we’ll see each other later and I will make up for this. I walk out from the zoo and put everything in my car, reminding myself to stop at the mall first, to find flashlight.

 

[...]

 

I’m almost running through the stores, trying to find where I can buy that flashlight. I bite my lip, I’m nervous, there’s high chances that tomorrow we won’t need it but we never know. My steps are fast, my eyes scan each store and I end up finding one where they sell everything that is related to electrical appliance. I’m tall so I can see above the shelves. Video games, computers, televisions.. lamps! I walk faster towards the section and finally find what I need. It’s little but it’s enough, it looks like the ones we use to have at work. A smirk finds its way to my lips and I go to the cash desk to pay.

At least now it’s done, I can go home.

The stores are closing, the loud noises of metal are being heard everywhere. People are going home and I search for my car keys inside of my bag, my eyes never leaving the lift. But suddenly I hear a voice, a woman and then a man, it feels like a fight. No one seems to care but I turn my head to look at the supposed direction and I see her. I know her wait.. The girl I broke the phone and she is.. inside a phone store, of course. I’ve stopped in the middle of the hall, thinking whether I should do something or not but she seems in trouble. Well, I don’t care about what my mother would think, if I can help her after what happened, I’d do it without hesitation.

The closer I get, more I can catch the words they are throwing at each other “It’s too expensive for a phone without intern

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter