One Step Too Late

One Step Too Late

 

 

Pretty. The one word that described her the first time I laid eyes on her my first day at work. We both worked in the same department of SM Agricultural Firm in human resources. She of course was my senior and I was a trainee at this point.

“Ms. Jung?” I looked up and saw her beautiful brown eyes hovering over me.

“Umm yes?”

She smiled brightly at me, “I am Kim Taeyeon. I was assigned to help you with your training. We don’t usually use formalities here so Taeyeon is fine.”

“Krystal! My name is Krystal.” I may have been a little over excited causing her to let out a cute giggle.

“Well Krystal do you mind coming to my cubical? I can show you the ropes.”

She had an infectious smile that made me keep a smile on my face the whole time I followed her to her area. Being considerate, she pulled over an empty chair from the cubical next to her and urged me to sit down. I must have not been seated close enough because she pulled my chair closer.

“I am sure you learned the basics of Word and Excel in school so I will just show you some of the basic templates we use and then show you the other programing. Don’t feel too stressed because we all had to start somewhere just like you. Also, I will always be here to personally assist you.”

I could tell from that point, she had a kind heart, “Thank you.”

Taeyeon flashed one more smile before reaching for her mouse, “Should we get started?”

--------------------------------

My chair leaned back as I took a peak out of cubical when I heard her voice nearby. I couldn’t help myself from just getting a glimpse of the girl. I was probably doing something a bit shameful, but her voice was like a song I couldn’t get out of my head and every time I hear it, I just had to make sure it was her who was singing.

She was talking to her direct boss, which was an unexpected gift to me since his office was near my cubical. All I had to do was scoot my chair backwards to see her outside of his door. However, getting caught stealing a glance, was not so cool as I was daydreaming, “Hey Krystal.”

I nearly fell backwards when I saw her standing in front of me, “Oh...hey...Taeyeon.”

She took a step closer and leaned on my cubical which I wouldn’t think was too safe as the walls didn’t look that stable but with her petite body, maybe she was okay, “I don’t see you coming over for help these days. Are you doing fine?”

I looked down at my fingers since she was so close, that she made me feel a bit self-conscious, “I think I have the hang of it. Unless...unless the boss said there was something?”

She giggled, “Oh? Is that why you were looking at his office?”

No...I was looking at her, “Ah yea. I just want to perform well.”

Taeyeon gave a toothy smile, “I don’t think you need to worry about that. It seems like your last report made the boss come and find me to tell you to take on another account.”

I couldn’t hold back my smile as I heard those words, “It...is...um...because I had a good trainer.”

She walked forward and placed her hand on my shoulder making me tense up, “Don’t sell yourself short. You should know that you did a good job without my guidance. I only showed you the systems on the computer.” We exchanged smiles until her eyes landed on the blue lunch box on my table, “Your sister is so nice to keep bringing you a lunch.”

I looked down at the box until looking back up at Taeyeon, “She umm works at a catering company nearby. I just get what is left over...if it is a disturbance, I can always just go out and meet her.”

Taeyeon started waving her hands, “Oh no! I just wanted to say that it is nice of her. So she cooks?”

I started laughing at the thought of my sister in a kitchen, “No way! She is a planner and part of the public relations. This girl named Yoona is the main cook. If you want, you can try the cooking?”

I opened the box to show Taeyeon what kind of food a high-end catering company provides, “Wow...this looks like something from a really expensive restaurant. I don’t feel like I could eat it!”

I ushered her on to take something, “Please I insist.”

I almost cried with joy as she bit her lip before taking the panda shaped dessert, “I hope you don’t mind. It looks so cute!” You look so cute! I could only smile as she tried the pastry, “Oh my...gosh...I think we need to hire your sister for catering. Do you have her card? I can give her contact to our boss.”

“I can give it to you tomorrow?”

I couldn’t believe how much I was making her smile today, but it made my day so much better seeing her so happy, “Of course! That Yoona girl would make the entire office happy with her cooking!” I giggled at her before she patted my shoulder causing me to shutter, “Well keep working hard Krystal. Don’t be like your trainer who chats with other workers and doesn’t get her work done.”

-------------------------------------

Since I took on another account, I was at work late on a Friday night, “Here so late?” I nearly fell out of my chair hearing someone behind me but she caught my chair before it flipped over, “Be careful.”

I tried laughing off my embarrassment, “Thanks...”

“You know you can wait until Monday for that account.”

I turned my attention away from my screen to face her, “But I don’t want to think about it all weekend.”

“Oh you have plans this weekend?”

I scratched the back of my head, “Just meeting up with friends to go see some sights in the country.”

“Road trip?”

Why did she make me feel so nervous, “Ah yea.” I bit my lip before asking her what I really wanted to ask all week, “Did you want to come? One of my friends got super sick so she can’t come.”

I saw an unusual sparkle in her eyes as she smiled, “I wouldn’t be intruding would I?”

“Oh no! More the merrier.”

Suddenly full of excitement, she hugged me, “Thanks! I thought I would be all alone this weekend!”

I laughed nervously in her arms before she let go allowing me to breathe. It was weird how in a month, we became closer friends, “We are leaving at 8am near the train station if you want to meet us there?”

“Got it!” Taeyeon gave me one last smile before reading what is on my computer, “How about ditching that report and getting something to eat with me?”

I turned my chair around trying to assess how long it would take me to finish this report. Seeing as it would take at least 3 more hours, I figured she was right, “Monday. Sounds like a good day to finish this.”

She slapped my back, “That’s the spirit! I will meet you by the elevators okay?”

After she left, I shook my head thinking how she wasn’t the best influence as my senior but she really was a hard worker. I guess you could say that she worked hard and played hard. Her personality was extremely playful to the point of pulling pranks on other workers. Yet no one could ever get angry at the girl since she had this habit of making others smile along with her. I can’t be the only one that is falling for the girl.

“Done?”

I readjusted my bag on my shoulder as she pushed the button to go down, “Yea...where are we going?”

“That little place across the street should be open.” I my lips in anticipation for the shop that had the most amazing noodles, “I can tell you were thinking of the noodles. I already know your little secret of getting their noodles when you finish work. I hope you don’t mind me joining you this time?”

I blushed thinking that the girl took note of my habits, “I never mind having you along...”

The elevator opened as we got out, “Good because I secretly love their noodles too.”

--------------------------------

I looked down at my watch, “I must be a bit early.” It was the day of the road trip and I had the car that would be taking us. Knowing that people would have to pack things inside the car, I arrived first.

“Did others get sick too?”

My heart raced with the sight of her, “Oh Taeyeon...umm we are just early.”

Taeyeon held up her things, “Where do I put this?”

I clicked the button to open the trunk, “I hope there is enough room to fit everything for 5 people.”

Taeyeon looked around to what else was in the trunk, “Well...I packed light but it seems you...”

I quickly closed the trunk, “I packed the necessities.”

I saw she was fighting back a giggle as we stood next to the car waiting for the others to arrive, “Baby Jung!”

“Yoona!” I went to hug my favorite unnie as she came up to me, “My sister keeps you so busy that I never see you!”

“Yah!”

I looked around before I spotted her girlfriend, “Yuri unnie too!” Yuri came to hug me like Yoona until I caught sight of Taeyeon again, “Oh girls this is my senior at work Kim Taeyeon.”

Both girls giggled before greeting Taeyeon formally, “Good to finally meet you.”

Taeyeon went to shake hands, “Wow the famous Yoona who brings joy to my mouth!”

Both Yoona and Yuri looked at Taeyeon questionably so I cleared up the misunderstandings, “She eats the food Jessie brings me. Taeyeon is a huge fan of Yoona’s cooking.”

Yoona started glowing with confidence, “I feel honored to give your taste buds a spark! I already like this Taeyeon kid...”

I nudged Yoona to whisper in her ear, “Taeyeon is older than you.”

Yuri was almost on the floor laughing from Yoona’s mistake, but we didn’t have much time so I pushed the girls into the car so we could get going.

The car ride was very pleasant as Taeyeon sat in the middle backseat and me by the window. I could feel her thighs pressed against mine the whole way. At first we tried playing a game with the passing cars but Yoona kept winning that we abandoned that game fast. I could tell Taeyeon was disappointed that the game ended as she was fascinated by everything going outside the window. She would even lean over me at times to get a better look at something we passed.

 

Yoona got out of the car and stretched, “Oh so long!”

I went over to pat her on the back, “It has only been 4 hours.”

Yuri put her arm around my shoulder, “Come on Baby Jung. Yoona can’t go 3 hours without food. I am surprised food even gets out to customers at the company she and Jessie works for.”

I couldn’t help but laugh at the couple as we were led in. Taeyeon had already gotten us a table and we all sat down for a meal. Lucky for me, I was seated next to Taeyeon. As if I didn’t get enough thigh contact in the car, I was ecstatic to have another 45 minutes in the restaurant. However, I felt bad when my drink spilled on the table and Taeyeon got some on her pants. I was going to get up and help her clean up but someone else went to the bathroom to assist her.

 

Not long after, we were on the road again. This time we were smart to bring Yoona many snacks so she wouldn’t interrupt my sleep with her stomach growling like a monster. However, I was stuck with the couple in the back while Taeyeon was up front. No more skin on skin action for me [at least not for now ;-)].

After another 4 hours, we were outside our hotel and ready to check in for the night. I almost had a heart attack when I heard the next words, “...Krystal should be with Taeyeon.”

“What?”

“Well it makes sense that Yoona and I have a room together.”

I looked back at Yuri and Yoona trying not to smile so hard. I really loved this couple, "it is late so maybe we should sleep for now and meet up in the morning?"

I loved that suggestion too! My first night with Taeyeon.

Making our way to our respective rooms, I took glances here at there at Taeyeon who was walking ahead of me. Her hair was flowing down her back and her petite body looked even smaller with her duffle bag on her side. As we made  our way inside, Taeyeon took the bed by the window since she plopped her bag on that bed so I took the bed near the door and bathroom. Of course we had two beds so I wouldn't get to sleep with her but just the mere fact of being in the same room as her had me hyperventilating.

"Krystal do you mind if I take a shower first?"

That was it...I am sure I had a nose bleed with the thought of her rubbing her bare body under that warm water, "...gh...."

Taeyeon looked up from digging in her bag for shower stuff, "What was that?"

I cleared my throat, "Go first." Really I needed a cold shower after she was done.

Since we were tired from the car ride, we didn't do much talking and tucked in shortly after the showers were finished. Of course I wanted to get closer to the girl but I didn't mind watching  sleeping that night next to Taeyeon. Only a bed a part but one step closer to a friendship that I always wish to be more.

---------------------------------

Since this was a road trip, we had no plans to stay at that hotel so we packed up early before going to a diner. I thought we were going to get kicked out for the amount of food Yoona ate (all though it did say "all you could eat"). Of course the day ended with many pictures taken and another stop at a hotel where Taeyeon and I shared a room. However, this was only a weekend getaway and because all of us had work on Monday. Yet two things came out of the trip; Taeyeon and I got to know each other better and I was determined to make Taeyeon mine.

------------------------------------

It was a Tuesday at the office with Taeyeon and I staying late again. Looking over at her cubical I thought about the trip we had together (which she talked about constantly on Monday). My feelings for her were clear and I wanted to make her mine before someone else could sweep her away.

"Taeyeon?"

The girl stopped typing to look up a me, "Krystal? You should go home since it is late."

"I was wondering if you wanted noodles with me?"

Taeyeon looked back at her computer before putting her computer to sleep, "I think there is always time for noodles."
Happily, I went back to my desk to pack up my things as I knew we would meet by the elevator. She smiled as I approached and entered the elevator.

 

"How is it Yoona is so skinny? She could eat both our noodle dishes and not gain weight?"

I took a slurp of my soup, "Jessie says being in the kitchen is like running a marathon...also good genes."

Taeyeon almost spit out her noodles from laughter, "Do you remember when we clearly heard that couple going at it the last night? I am sure that is exercise for her too."

I shook my head and laughed, "How could I not? Next time we should get a different floor than those two if we go on another trip together."

Taeyeon finished chewing her noodles before looking into my eyes, "Oh? I can get invited on another trip with you guys?"

I laughed, "Of course! Every one loves you..." Come on Krystal tell her how you really feel, "...Taeyeon...actually...there is something i need to tell you?"

Pushing her bowl to the side, Taeyeon gave me her full attention, "Oh?"

It was now or never, "I...ah really like you."

She smiled beautifully at me, "I like you too. Always such a hard worker and so fun..."

"I mean...not that...romantically..."

Taeyeon looked startled when she heard those words, "Wow...well...this puts me in a difficult situation."

"I know you might not see me that way but..."

"Krystal...I don't want to hurt your feelings but Jessica and I finally agreed to date."

I was too late, "When...?"

She sighed, "Just after the trip we took together."

I wasn't blind to what had been happening between Taeyeon and my sister when they met:

I was so nervous at my first real job. Although my trainer Taeyeon was making the transition so easy and enjoyable, I was always nervous of failure or maybe Taeyeon would get tired of me asking so many quesitons, "Kryssy!"

To my surprise, my sister stood next to me with a box in hand, "Jessica??"

Engulfing me in a hug, "How is my baby sister?"

"Embarrased..."

She scolded me, "I was just greeting you and you are rejecting me?"

"No...but why are you here? Making a scene?" I whispered harshly.

Slapping me on the shoulder, "Oh don't be that way when I brought you a lunch."

I looked at the blue box, "Please say Yoona made it."

Then there was the second scolding, "Of course. You don't need to keep reminding me I can't cook."

I laughed a little before looking at Jessica, "how did you find my cubical anyways? It is like a maze in here."

"Oh? Short girl over there..." Oh my she was pointing at Taeyeon who was looking at us but turned away quickly when we met her gaze, "she helped."

"Oh..." I was a bit embarrassed that Taeyeon's first impression of me would be my overprotective sister making sure I was okay.

I could also see what happened every visit Jessica made to give me a lunch:

"Were you talking to Taeyeon again?"

Jessica looked dazed but returned her attention back to me, "Oh yea....she wanted my business card. She said something like she asked it from you but you didn't give it to her."

I didn't give it on purpose, "I forgot."

Jessica smiled as she had her gaze near Taeyeon's direction, "You have a nice office here Krystal. Everyone is so nice." Jessica looked down at her watch, "Yoona needs me in 5 so I will get going. Eat your lunch well."

After that time, Jessica would bring over two lunches, one for me and one for Taeyeon. Jessica made an excuse at that time saying she was just thanking my senior for looking out for her, but I wasn't dumb. Nor was I dumb to what happened on the trip we took together:

I was happy to be next to Taeyeon on the trip but I had a pit in my stomach when Taeyeon tensed as Jessica took a seat next to her. Yuri agreed to drive while Yoona sat next to her which was okay but every  now and then, I would see Jessica touch Taeyeon's thigh and make the girl mess up in the game. These little tricks made me get pretty angry so I called off the game despite Taeyeon's disappointment.

Even at the restaurant after my drink spilled, Jessica was the first to get up to help Taeyeon clean up. It was 15 minutes that they were gone. I wanted to go to the bathroom and check on them but my gut feeling said don't go there. I didn't but with Taeyeon's gazed over eyes, I could guess they were doing something other than cleaning up.

Later that night, I confirmed something was going on after I opened the door from the bathroom and saw the two separate immediately. My heart was broken.

Also...even now I wasn't dumb to why she would be getting noodles with me this late at night, "Oh Krystal you didn't tell me we had company again for our noodle night."

I looked up and groined, "It was last minute Jessie..."

Jessica sat down happily next to Taeyeon before giving her a kiss on the cheek, "Tae did you tell her our good news."

Taeyeon smiled at Jessica hesitantly, "We discussed it."

Jessica clapped her hands happily, "Great! Krystal you have no idea how much I wanted to tell you but Taeyeon insisted on telling you herself."

I stood up from the table, "Either way, I am sincerely happy for you two." I just wish I wasn't one step too late.

 

 

~END~