Chapter 3

Unexpected Love

 

That was the first time when I had to work with the police for an article. The day was on the point of become night, the sky was cloudy and I was expecting to rain in any minute. It was cold and windy, not the good atmosphere to investigate such a case.

It wasn't easy to walk through that old warehouse wearing high heels and an evening dress, but I couldn't do anything about that. Kim Woo Bin himself was still dressed in the suit that he wore at the reception, but he took off his tie. 
He walked right behind my back and I walked right behind Yoo In-ha and the three of us were surrounded by the police officers who were running in all the directions. 

''A worker called the police 1 hour ago when he saw a man with serious injuries laying down inside the warehouse.'' In-na said ''We came here as fast as we could, but we are still investigating the case. The man, whose identity we don't know yet, was shot. This is the place where he was found.''

I looked down to see a huge spot of blood on the floor. The place where a man has probably been killed.

''Is the man still alive?'' I asked 

''He has been taken to the hospital. His condition is not good.'' In-na answered. I was amazed by how cold she looked. It was probably something normal in her life, but I wasn't used to i . Kim Woo Bin looked even more calm than her. He was looking around as he was looking for an interesting book in a library. Just looking for what he wants and not caring too much about what was happening around him. Also, he didn't say a word since he reminded me to ''watch my steps". 

''What did you find, detective Ko Ghang Seok?" Yoo In-na asked. 

Detective Ko Ghang Seok was a full-figured man. He looked like he was 40-45 years old. He was dressed in jeans, a shirt and a black jacket. He wasn't shaved, but he had a friendly look in his expressive brown eyes.

''We found a bullet right neard the blood stain. We have to send it to the departament to see what kind of gun... '' 

"We don't have time for that. Kim Woo Bin?'' In-ha interrupted Ko. I realized then that she was Kim Woo Bin's boss.

Woo Bin came near us and looked carefully at the bullet Ko showed him. When he looked at the gun, I saw a light in his eyes, but it dissapeard so fast I can't say what it was.  It made em wonder what thoughts runned through his head.

"If the victim still has a bullet in his chest it means that he had probably been shot barely the second time. That means the attacker didn't have too much experience with guns. Also, this tipe of bullet is used ussualy with a mamba pistol. It is named after the mamba, an African snake known for its deadly venom that leaves little to no chance of survival for victims of its bite.''

''And this detail is important because..." his boss asked

''If the attacker was someone who knows something about guns, it would mean that he wanted to tell the victim that he has no chance. But someone who can't hit the target from the first try can't be a specialist. It means that the beginner was a subaltern.'' 

Truth be told, I was impressed. I realized he had authority because everyone was listening at his words. Yoo In-na was listening like she was listening a raport, sure that she can't get wrong information.

''We do not know for sure if it is about a revenge.'' she said

''We will find out when the victim's condition gets be better.'' Woo Bin replied

''If the victim's condition gets better.'' his boss corrected him

I heard a noise coming from outside . 

''Reporters. Other news papers must found out about the incident. Don't worry reporter Park Shin Hye, I promised director Lee that his paper will have excusivity. There is something elese you need to know?'' In-na asked me

''No, thank you. It is enough for now. I will visit the victim tomorrow, at the hospital.'' I said 

''Hyung , you mind taking reporter Park to her cab?'' Kim Woo Bin adressed Ko Ghang Seok. I could not ignore the fact that he called me ''reporter Park '' again, but this time he wasn't moking. Also, I could not ignore the fact that his voice was a little concerned. 

''Sure, Woo Bin.  Miss, please, follow me.'' he said and we both headed to the exit. Outside I felt the gentle rain and the cold wind, but I was relieved to not feel that smell I felt inside. I was right about Ko Chang Seok. He was one of the most friendly person I ever met. 

''Yes, this really is a complicate case. But you can be sure we'll solve the case. Especially when we have Kim Woo Bin.'' he told me 

''Kim Wo Bin?''

''Of course! He is the best detective in Seoul. Didn't you saw that he is an expert in guns and strategy? And not only this."

''Are you friends?''

''Yes, in spite of the difference of age. And I'm not that old neither! I feel like I'm 25 actually!''

I laughed. He was really funny and cute honestly praising his friend. We said goodbye and I left home. I was so tired that I almost fell asleep in the car. When I got home, I found my brother sleeping on the couch. 

''Saan , Saan ...'' I said '' Wake up! Why did you sleep on the couch?''

He yawned cutely ''I waited for you to come home, unnie '' 

''You shouldn't have. Did you have dinner?''

He nodded his head ''Yes, Tan's mother let me stay at dinner with Tan. '' 

"I'll thank her tomorrow. My God, I shouldn't let you alone without calling you, I'm sorry. I was so busy, I completly forgot.'' 

''You forgot about me? How could you?'' Saan said indignant 

''I said I am sorry. I'll make up for that tomorrow . I see you're wearing your pijamas, but did you brush your teeth?''

' But , Shin Hye... ''

''No buts. Go brush your teeth. I'll come in a minute.'' I said and my brother walked lazily towards the bathroom. 

In half an hour I was laying in my bed. I was so tired! The following day was Sunday so didn't have to go to work, but I still had to write 2 articles. To finish the one with Yoon Son-ha and to write about the attempted murder. And I had to go to the hospital to see if the man is still alive. 

For a second I wondered if Kim Woo Bin will be there, too. But I was to tired to think about that. I fell asleep...


The next morning I woke up at 7AM, ready for a new day. I made breakfast for me and my brother. While he made his homework I finished the article about K Editure and sent it to Kang So Ra. Before lunch Saan and I went for a walk in the park, how we do every Sunday. After lunch, my brother's friend, Tan and his mother came. They wanted to visit the museum, because they heard about a dinosaur exposition and they invited Saan to join them. Then, I went to the hospital. 

The weather was lovely. The sun was shining, but the cold breeze remembered us by the rain that fell last night. 

''Excuse me. I am Park Shin Hye, reporter. Could you tell me where I find Yi Sung Min, the man that was shot last night?'' I asked a nurse ''I have to ask him some question. The police knows about it ''

''Of course, the police sent its man, too. '' I heard a familiar voice from behind

''Detective Kim, good afternoon.'' I said 

''Good afternoon. So, were is the victim?'' Kim Woo Bin asked 

"The second floor, room 37. The elevator is right in the corner." the nurse said. 

I thanked her and I headed towards the elevator followed by Kim Woo Bin.

''Did you find out something else since last night?'' I asked 

''I'm not Sherlock Holmes.'' he said pressing the button for the elevator. When the doors opened I realized it was empty. He let me enter first. The elevator seemed smaller with Woo Bin in it. I was sure that if there was another person with us it would be lack of space.

The elevator stopped and I get out first . We both looked for the victim's room .