Chapter 13

Unexpected Love

 Love... It's been a while since I've experienced it. Lately I've been busyarrow-10x10.png making a career and taking care of my brother, my only family. I am not the only one who focuses only on my career, completely ignoring love or just waiting for it to come. But I don't think I was waiting for it. Still, it came. And it came at the right moment, when I received a kick from life like no other kick before. He understood me and comforted me. He stayed up until late at night talking to me on the phone, assuring himself I was fine, even if I am completely aware that it isn't his style to expose his feelings. I never believed in love at first sight, just in attraction. And I never believed that the first days, weeks with a person define the relationship you will have. It takes time. And it was only the beginning. But, God, how beautiful it was! 

If there was a thing I didn't think about when I started to develop feelings for Kim Woo Bin it is what am I going to tell my boss. How do you tell your boss that you like her son?! 

Is there a right way to do it? I thought as I was trying to be attentive to what Director Yoon was telling me. 

"...And therefore I'll have to leave to Japan to take care of this issue." she said sitting in her imposing chair from her office "My flight is tomorrow at 4PM. Secretary Baek will come with me. If I will need any of your services, he will let you know. Until then, focus only on the news paper. If something important comes up, Editor Kang will take care, but I want you to write again about the police's investigations, as I asked you before."

"Yes, director." 

 "Your article about that Cha Soo Ha was again the most searched on internet.You did a very good job until now."

"Thank you." I bowed "I just was there at the right time."

"And you were also the right person. You can leave now." she said turning her attention to her laptop.

I left and I went straight to police to see what case Woo Bin's- actually Yoo In-na's team got this time. Since the plan to catch Cha Soo Ha didn't work, the team will take care of another cases until Cha will make a move. 

 It was the first time when I came there. The room was separated by the corridor with a glass wall. The table where the team would make their plans had several maps of Seoul, documents and folders on it and was surrounded by 3 chairs. The place was looking pretty much as the place where I work, as there were several desk there. Around me were busyarrow-10x10.png officers, males or females, talking on the phone, reading documents, discussing... 

"You take care only of murders?" I asked 

"Yes, only murders. We are the best team in the city." Ko Ghang Seok answered proudly sitting at the table

"We'll see." 

"Yes, you'll see" Yoo In-na said entering followed by Kim Woo Bin. I smiled to him (or was it his arrival that made me smile?) and he smiled back. He then turned to a desk to look for something in it. I only looked back at Yoo In-na when she greeted me with her cold "Good afternoon, reporter Park".

"Good afternoon." I said

"Aichh, why are you two so formal?" Ghang Seok asked "Boss, Shin Hye is one of us now and you are the only one in this group who doesn't call her by her little name."

"And why are you calling her Shin Hye, huh?" Woo Bin asked finally finding the folder he was looking for. He came closer and put in on the table. "She is Park Shin Hye for you" he said making me smile. 

"So the three of you are already close." Yoo In-na noticed sitting beside Ghang Seok. "This is our case. Maybe you want to read it." she said pointing to the folder Woo Bin brought. I made a step and Woo Bin pulled the third chair for me.

I tried to protest "You..."

"I'll stand" he smiled charming. I sat and opened the folder. It was about a 16 years old girl killed on the corridor of the building where she lived, in a corner without video cameras and-

"Her mother witnessed the murder?" I asked surprised

"Sadly." Yoo In-na said "And aparently the shock made it hard for her to tell us what exactly happened. She gave us just vague information."

"We're afraid that what happened affected her... sanity" Ghang Seok said "After her daughter's death she started living with her sister who takes care of her now."

"Would you prefere go talk with the woman or go to the place where the girl has been murdered?" In-na asked

I let out a sigh and tried to be professional "I want to talk with the mother. You can give me the tehnical details about the place and so on, but it would be hard to describe the mother's condition without seeing her."

"I'll come with you. " Woo Bin offered

"Then we will go to her house." Ghang Seok said

"Let's go then." 

The neighborhood where the woman, Ahn Kyung Ran, was living with her sister was very peaceful. They lived in a two-story white and grey house. The garden was small and the flowers were just a few as the summer was recently ended. I rang the doorbell and waited. A woman, who looked like she was in her early 40s, opened the door. She introduced her as Mr. Ahn's sister and invited us in the living room. 

"Please make yourself comfortable." the woman said "My sister is upstairs, resting. We came a little earlier from the doctor."

"Has her condition improved?" I asked

The woman let out a hearbreaking sigh, breathing out all of her sadness and said "No." And then she left. I listened to the sound of her steps on the stairs. In less than five minutes she came back holding hands with a woman very much alike her, but who looked a few years younger. 

"Mrs. Ahn?" 

The woman let go of her sister's hand and came closer to me and Woo Bin, who were sitting one next to each other. She genuinely smiled, surprising me, and reached out her hand caressing my cheek. She then looking at Woo Bin the way a mother looks at her soon.

"Kyung Ran-ah!" her sister said taking her sister by her shoulder's. "Please excuse her. Lately it happens everytime she sees-"

"Two beautiful youngs in love." Mrs. Ahn said, her voice warm and as genuinely as her smile. Her statment made me look at Woo Bin and I smiled shyly when I saw his gorgerous smile. 

"Kyung Ran-ah, they are here to ask you a few questions. "

"Of course, of course! Please, have a seat! " she waved her hand around and sat on an armchair "Noona, did you offer them a cup of coffee?"

"I will bring them some immediately." her sister said and left again. Apparently, she was trying to get used with her younger sister's condition, agreeing with most of the things she was saying. After she brought us the coffee she left again, leaving us alone.

"Have you been together for a long time? Are you married?" Mrs. Ahn asked

"No, ommoni. "

"That's too bad! You have to marry! It is such a marvelous thing... But sometimes it doesn't end up well..." her genuinely smile tuned into melancholy. "My marriage didn't have a happy ending..."

"But you had a daughter." Woo Bin said.

The woman's eyes sparkled again "Yes, yes! So beautiful and smart..."

"And the last time you saw her..."

Mrs. Ahn frowned like she was facing a beast. She took her hand to "She... she... I told her he's not the right one! He was so violent! She.. she"

Woo Bin reached out for her other hand "Ommoni, it's fine. It's fine." He waited for the woman to calm down a little until he spoke again "Who is he? Do you know him?"

"They wanted to leave together! But he was always so jealous! If she had told me earlier, I would have helped her! But she said she loved him and- she was too young for love! And she said she was afraid to let me know, because I wouldn't have accepted!" she was talking fast, like her life depended on her capability to convince us.

"Your daughter said she loved him. Have you seen him before that?"

"Only one time. He was yelling at her! I took her from there and then he came... and he...he"

She wasn't looking at us anymore, but she looked like she was facing terrible flashbacks from the day her daughter died. Her scared voice made her sister come back. She knelt in front of her and hugged her.

"Kyung Ran-ah, it's alright, my dear.. it's alright."

Woo bin stood "I am sorry. This wasn't my intention."

"I know, detective. But she is very sensitive. I can't let her answer another questions."

"You don't have to. We're done here. I apologize again." he said and we left. In the car he called Yoo In-na.

"What did you find out?"

"It was her boyfriend. He was very jealous. From what I understand, the girl kept her relationship hidden from her mother, who found out only when she saw that guy yelling at her daughter. The murder wasn't planned. He was lucky there weren't video cameras. But no one is so stupid to plan a murder on a corridor with witnesses. He probably had a jealousy crisis. He had a knife and he used it. Ask her friends if they know anything about her boyfriend. "

"Alright" she said and hung up. 


I stayed  at the police station for a few hours, while they looked for the guy. The girl's best friend knew who he was and they found him home, locked in his room. He didn't tell anybody and his parent were in shock. The interogation wasn't over yet. 

I took a chiar and put it next to the open window so I can look outside. I heard the steps of someone coming in. 

"He confessed?" I asked

"Yes." Woo Bin spoke, his usual deep voice. He took a chair and put it so we face each other. He sat with his legs open, leaning forward to be closer to me.

"The father is nowhere to be found, the daughter is dead and the mother is losing her minds. They are living a horrible nightmare." I said "Do you think that she sould have said it to her mother?" 

"Well, her mother could have protected her, so.."

"Yes, but it so not so easy all the time. She tought her mother wouldn't approve and that she would sepparate her from the one she liked. Wouldn't..uhm.."

"Shin Hye? You want to tell me something."

"Nothing." 

"I know my mother is leaving tomorrow."  I frowned. Does he read minds or...? I was thinking about his mother, but I didn't want to nag him. We were at the beginning, we didn't do anything too serious. I didn't want him to consider me annoying or clingy or to think that I'm forcing him to do something more serious than he wished. But again, I didn't want to hide. Should you be in a relationship that you have to keep hidden?

"She is my boss. And.. it is early... we don't have to-"

"Early? Why?"

"What you mean why? We just.."

Woo Bin let out a sigh and spoke clearly to prove his point, like he was talking with a difficult child "It's been a while since we met. I waited a lot, more than you. If you want to wait, I'm fine with it. But hoping that you want to try, would you want to go out with me?"

My hear was melting. 

"Yes."

He gave me again that gorgeous smile. 

"Great. Tomorrow. I can't wait more. Do something with your schedule." he stood and reached out to me. "I'll ride you home. "

I took his hand and we left together.