Lovely Mornings

Down on One Knee


It is spring and the sweet redolent flowers swim through the air and cut through the morning’s dewy grass. Each flower is in bloom; their petals are delicate works of art.


“You do know that I love you so very much.” Dongwoo wraps his toned arms around my waist and I lean back into his embrace, feeling his sturdy chest behind my back. A high pitched giggle slips past my lips and I nod, swaying slightly as I grasp onto his big calloused hands.


“And Dongwoo, you do know that I love you as much as I love the flowers here.” I retort, a small smirk playing on my lips.


The sound of his laughter is bright and cheerful like a fine sunny day.  I find myself laughing along with him, I don’t know why but this feeling just comes naturally. I love it.


He unwraps his arms from my waist and holds me by the shoulders to spin me around so that I face his sturdy built chest. “You’re a bit too tall,” I comment sarcastically, reaching up to pull his shoulders down so that he’s my height.
“And now I’m your height,” he says softly, his voice almost getting lost in the crisp spring breeze. A small and barely noticeable smile makes its way onto his thick lips – the only pair I like to kiss – and a barely audible chuckle escapes. It’s times like these where I feel as if I’m the luckiest woman on earth. No other person would be able to witness the tenderness in his eyes, the way his smile lines appear and his barely noticeable dimple. The silly grin which I love so much straightens into a thin line and he clears his throat, noticeably shrinking under my unwavering gaze.


“What’s wrong? Dongwoo” My breath hitches and I shake my head.


The tall figure takes a step away from me and I reach out to him, wanting to grasp onto him. How could things turn so bad in just a matter of seconds? This isn’t what I want.


“I have something to tell you and I think it is crazy-“


“Dongw-“ He puts up a hand to silence me and bends down on one knee, his eye level at my waist.


“It’s crazy that we’ve known each other for so long and I really love you so much and I would really love it if you just-“ He reaches a hand to scratch at his nape sheepishly. His shoulders move up and down considerably as he takes in a big sigh.


“Will you marry me?”


My breath stops. The whole world stops. The only thing I can see is the man I love. The only thing I can smell is the roses. The only thing I can hear is my heart beating erratically.


I sink down to my knees, tears ready to be escape as I nod.

Yes. I will marry you.