Kim Jongin

Give Me Shelter

 

Kim Jongin
 

      

            Breakfast time with their new guest was just about as awkward as any for Genesis. She noticed how Jongin pushed around the rice on his plate. His hair was combed down neatly, but a stray brown cowlick protruded from his head. Dark circles faintly outlined the area under his eyelids. She didn’t have to ask her father to know that they had just come from a funeral.

            Genesis didn't cry at her own mother’s funeral, she had enough time to do that when she visited her at the hospital. At least, she spent some time with her mother before her cancer slowly took her away, Jongin didn't have time to mourn.


            They were all seated around the rectangular dining room table. She felt weird with an extra body in the room, one that was currently occupying the space where her mother used to sit. From the time her mother had died, it had always been just her and her father in the house. With both her father, and Jongin seated across from her, it seemed more like the beginning of an interrogation. Good cop, and clincially depressed cop.

            Genesis chewed her food slowly watching her father try to begin the conversation.

            “I was very close to Jongin's mother” he began hesitantly. He paused to look at Jongin before speaking again.

            Genesis chewed her food even slower, as if she were digesting his words as well.

            “She asked, well… her will stated, that I be his guardian should anything happen to her.” He paused again to wait for a response from his daughter.

            “Ok” she said.

            “Ok what?”

            “Ok, I understand”

            The pastor raised an eyebrow, “You’re taking this pretty well”

            “What do you want me to say?” Genesis said exasperated. She knew how Jongin felt, and just speaking more about was going to make her head hurt.

            “You could react a little maybe? You know, more like a human and less like a robot” He turned to Jongin. “You can stay with us for as long as you need to. Remember, there’s no deadline for you here”

            Genesis tried to look as sympathetic as one who just woke up could. Perhaps she was being robotic, but the last thing she wanted when she was in mourning was sympathy. She figured Jongin would be the same way. Since she felt it inappropriate to say anything, she could only smile and nod at Jongin.

            She glanced at the clock on the microwave and cleared a little before slowly standing up. Any abrupt movements were bound to have ruined the gloomy atmosphere.

            “I have to go to practice, Dad,” she reminded gently.

            Her dad looked surprised. “Oh, yes that’s right, of course, its Saturday.” He was probably expecting this to be a longer conversation. He watched as Genesis began to clear the plates off the table. “Actually, why don’t you take Jongin with you? It might be good to get out the house for a bit” He patted the boy’s arm, “You should hear her sing. Blows my socks off every time”

            Genesis felt her face grow hot. Dads can be so embarrassing sometimes.

            “I don’t think he would want to go” She was still standing, positioned ready to back her way to the front door.

            “Come on; take your mind off things.” The pastor was egging Jongin on.

            She turned to Jongin, almost pleading. “We don’t really do anything, it’s really boring.”

            “I’ll go,” he said plainly.

            “What?”

            “I'll go with you,” He repeated.

            “That’s great! Here take the car.” Wide eyed, Genesis caught the keys her father threw to her in her cupped palms. Her father barely ever let her use the car. Maybe having Jongin staying here would be to her advantage.

            Her father clapped Jongin on the back with a big grin and brought him to his feet guiding him toward Genesis.  He brought the both of them under the wings of his arms and into his tight embrace.

            “All right, all right, I’m gonna be late” she choked out from her father’s headlock. When the pastor released his grip on them, she rubbed her shoulder with a grimace. “Come on, let’s go” she muttered behind her. She was already halfway out the door, before she noticed that Jongin wasn’t following her. She turned back around and eyed the boy who seemed to be debating on whether or not to leave the house.

            She eyed the dark suit he was wearing. “Maybe you should change into different clothes.”

            He nodded in agreement and quickly ran back up the stairs. Within a few minutes he was back downstairs blue jeans and a t-shirt. Genesis had already started the car. Once he hopped into the passengers seat, she tore out of the driveway.

            “You didn’t have to come. It’s probably going to be really boring.” She disclaimed. They were cruising past the neighborhood. A Christian music radio station was playing softly to drown out the awkward silence between them.

           “I don’t mind. I wanted to hear you sing”

            She felt her face grow hot again from embarrassment. Her dad was always telling people that she could sing. This would usually result in people asking her to sing on the spot.

            “I don’t actually sing. I just compose.”

            “You don’t?” Jongin seemed surprised and a little bit disappointed.

            “Someone has to conduct. Which is why I can’t be late to practice. They can’t start without me.”

            Jongin began to hum along to the radio lightly bobbing his head; he tapped his fingers on the side of the car door. He wasn’t half bad. At least he wasn’t out of tune.

            “Do you sing?” she asked cautiously. They did need a few more bodies for the choir, and right now their roster was in dire need of a few more male voices.

            “Are you trying to recruit me? Jongin’s eyes crinkled as he grinned at her. She almost couldn't believe that this was the same depressed looking Jongin she saw in the morning.

            “It depends”, she began in mock thoughtfulness. “Are you interested in joining?”

            “I don’t think I could sing like that.” He pointed to the radio.

            “Like what? Like this?” she sang along to the melody wafting from the radio and added embellished scale.

            Jongin’s eyes went wide; a light flush bloomed on his cheeks. “Woah”

            “What?” She chuckled. “That was nothing, you should hear Loni sing.”

            Genesis pulled into the church parking lot. They had both just been there yesterday night but in the daylight, the church seemed completely different. At night is was a haunted house, in the daytime it was a second home. They made their way to the church doors before Genesis stopped short, turning around to face Jongin. 

            “We have a lot of interesting personalities. I’m just warning you now. In fact maybe we should just go home now.” she pushed back at Jongin’s shoulders in an attempt to turn him away.

            Jongin weaved away from her reach. “It’s not a big deal, I can handle it”

            Genesis inhaled and reluctantly opened the church doors. They opened into the large atrium of pews. In the front of the altar was a small crowd of people and it appeared as if two people were arguing with each other. The clamor ceased as they turned to look at two new entrants.

            “Finally! There she is”, one of the women called out. Her name was Loni, and she had a large head of curly hair held back by a colorful bandana. “Genesis, tell this man that we are not about to be starting ‘God of Wonders’ in C Minor.”

            The man Loni was referring to was Reggie, a short and stocky man with a very lightly tanned complexion. He wore dark spectacles and a crisp white shirt. 

            “Tell me this doesn't sound nice.” He belted out a note before looking at her with raised eyebrows. 

            Genesis shook her head. “We haven’t even practiced and you’re already amending the composition.” Every practice seemed to begin with Reggie and Loni arguing about something.

            “Well, excuse me for taking artistic liberties” He enunciated before stopping short to squint at Jongin. “Who is he?”

            “Oh he's…” She fumbled on how to explain their situation “...a family friend.” She finally chose to answer. “He’s staying with me and my Dad, I just wanted to show him around a bit.”

            A sharp staccato laughter came from a lady in a zebra patterned maxi dress and long braids. “He's darker than you Reggie”. Karla was always making fun of Reggie about his skin tone.

            “Listen Karla, there ain't no way he darker than me”, Reggie retorted. He came forward and brought his forehand against Jongin’s. “See? oh wait… maybe he is”

            The rest of the choir erupted into laughter. Genesis shot Jongin an apologetic look to which he responded with a small smile.

            Reggie threw an arm around Jongin’s shoulder, bringing him in close as if he were telling him a secret. “Us lightskin brothers have got to stick together. What was your name again?”

            "Jongin"

            “Jongie?” Reggie repeated

            Genesis cringed as the whole chorus proceeded to butcher his name.

            "You can just call me Kai” He said finally after noticing that their chances of pronouncing his name right were slim to none.

            "That’s my nephew’s name" Karla shouted out before running over to give Jongin an ample hug. “We all have names that start with K. We’re like the Kardashians, you know, but without all the drama”

            "Can you sing, Brother Kai?" Reggie asked after Jongin was released from Karla's grasp.

            "I don’t know how to"

            "All you need is a good pair of vocal chords and a little bit of this", he patted his chest for emphasis.

            The front door the church slammed closed with a heavy thud. In walked in a frantic and wild-haired Melanie holding a phone over her head. 

            "Oh my gosh, Genesis, you will never guess who I just talked to!"

            Melanie late as usual, Genesis thought to herself. She was half of the reason why they never started or ended their practices on time.

            “I found the perfect voice! Aaaand He goes to our school!”

            Genesis looked skeptical. “Really, and who would that be?”

            “Long story short, I found Chanyeol’s phone and when I picked it up, some guy started singing” She waved the phone in the air for emphasis.

            “Wait, why do you have Chanyeol’s phone?” Genesis asked, though she was distractedly watching  as Reggie seemed to be pulling Jongin into a mini singing lesson.

            “I found it in the music room after you left yesterday. Anyway so, I found the phone, and when I picked up. This guy just started singing”

            “That’s really random. Was he good?”

            “Genesis, I kid you not, he sounded like an angel that just descended from the heavens. He said he even goes to our school. Isn’t that lucky for us?” 

            “Yea, I guess. What’s his name?”

            “About that… I don't actually know his name”

            Genesis deflated.

            “I know, I’m sorry. He hung up before I could ask him. But I know his initials are D.O. though. I think we could find him pretty easily. Nothing a little Facebook stalking won’t fix.”

            Genesis envied her friend’s endless enthusiasm. “It doesn’t matter if they’re good or not, to be honest, right now we just need voices to fill the choir”

            The phone vibrated loudly. On the Caller ID it said "Home"

            Melanie immediately picked up to answer before passing it off into Genesis’ unsuspecting hands.

            "Hello?" Genesis sputtered out in surprise.

            "I think you have my phone" A deep voice spoke.

            "Well hello to you too" She hoped Chanyeol could feel her eyeroll on the other side of the line.

            "Do I know you?"

            "It’s Genesis"

            "Oh...hey" there was an awkward silence.

            "I can get your phone back to you tomorrow in homeroom"

            "I need it today"

            Chanyeol never spoke more than a few words at a time to Genesis.

            "Well, if you really need your phone that badly do you wanna come pick it up then? I’m at church right now"

            She heard a sigh. "Fine, where is it?"

            "It’s ‘Redeemer of Grace’ on the corner of State Street. Come by around 1 and I’ll be outside”

            She could see Melanie mouthing the letters to “D.O." her. She guessed that meant she should ask Chanyeol about him.

            "Wait, before you hang up… can you introduce us to D.O.?"

            "D.O.? You mean Kyung--" he cut himself off. "Why?” he asked in suspicion, “Did he call?"

            "We just wanted to meet him. He has a really amazing voice. We're looking to get him for our gospel ensem—

            "He called and you picked up?" Irritation was rising in his voice

            "It wasn’t actually me, Melanie’s the one that picked up the phone"

            "What did she say to him?"

            "I don’t know, just that he had a nice voice—"

            "I can't believe you ing picked up—" he raised his voice slightly before taking a breath to calm down "Stay there, I’ll be there at 12"

              click—

            "Wait" Genesis stuttered out. She stood dumbfounded. 12? That was only 15 minutes from now.

            She turned back wildly to look for Melanie.

            “What did he say?” Melanie asked in curiousity.

            “He's coming in 15. He seemed super pissed too.”

            “When is he ever not pissed?”

            “Good point, but I don't know, I've never heard him that mad before.”

            “I wonder what's got his all in a knot.”

            “You answered his phone, Mel!” Genesis exclaimed in disbelief. Sometimes she couldn't believe how insensitive Melanie could be.

            “Yes, and I'm sorry! I can't take that back now” Melanie retorted.

            The crowd behind them all seemed to be huddled around Jongin. He was

laughing hard in the middle of the circle. Everyone around him seemed to be staring at him in amazement.

            Loni shouted over at the both of them "You two, get over here and see this!"

            “Wait is that Jongin?” Melanie hissed into her friend's ear.

            “You just noticed? Are you kidding me, he’s been here the whole time”          

            “Wait, why is he here? I thought he moved? And oh my gosh what about his parents?

            “It's a really long story”

            Loni made her way over to the two girls and grabbed at Melanie, placing her on the piano. Melanie looked back at Genesis with pleading eyes. Genesis sent back an “I’ll explain everything later” look.

            "Play a chord; make it really hard one" Loni ordered.

            Melanie thought for a moment before readying her fingertips. She held her foot on the sustain pedal and let the chord ring out throughout the church.

            "Close your eyes, Kai" Reggie called out from across the room.

            Jongin was still laughing hard, but he closed his eyes anyway. 

            "C, B, E" he paused for a moment "…A Sharp"

            Was that right? Genesis looked over at Melanie who gasped audibly over at the piano.

            "Well ain’t that something" Loni said to herself in awe.

            Genesis watched Jongin peek one eye open and give Reggie a toothy smile.

            "The kid's got perfect pitch"