Final (?) Please read A/N

The Stupid Rock

Jaerin was hurrying down the side walk, urgently trying to get to the meeting on time.

Ugh. Why didn't I hear my alarm clock ring?!

She bobbed and weaved through the people going the opposite direction from her.

I'm so dead! Ugh, why did I stay up watching dramas last night? I knew I would regret it later!

Jaerin’s black hair flew wildly and whipped in the winter air behind her as she raced down the street, turning corners and dodging obstacles. Her breathing was getting heavier and her energy began to drain quickly.

No, I can't get tired yet. I only have two minutes before the bus leaves!

Jaerin ran on her last bits of strength. But the energy was short lived. As she turned a corner, she lost her balance, along with the rest of her energy, due to a little insignificant rock her foot decided to get caught on.

Great, now I really am dead.

Jaerin braced for the impact of the hard concrete to meet her body.

But it never came.

Instead she felt arms wrapped around her shoulders and back.

"Woah there!"

Jaerin looked up and saw that she was in the arms of a handsome young man with alert eyes.

"Are you okay?"

She was too shocked by the sudden change of events to process that she wasn't face flat on the side walk, but in the arms of a stranger. But she regained her composure quickly.

"Yes, thank you." Jaerin stood up and straightened down her coat.

"Okay, be careful now. I can see you're in a rush but where you're trying to get to can't be as important as your safety." The man smiled and his eyes turned into little half-moons.

Aw, he's so...sweet. That's very true.

Wait, actually in my case, it's not.


"Thanks but where I'm headed might actually be just as important."

"Okay I won't keep you any longer. Good luck." The stranger said sincerely with a small bow as he began to turn away.

"Thank-" Jaerin's eyes widened in disbelief, "...you." She finished her sentence dispairingly.

Passing right by her, was the bus she was supposed to be on.

"Oh come on!" Jaerin watched as the bus turned the corner and disappeared from sight.

She shouted then kicked the rock that caused all her misfortune. She didn't care if she was making a scene.

"You stupid rock!" It skidded away into the busy street.

Exhausted from all her running, Jaerin slumped against the wall and slide down into a squatting position. She wrapped her arms around her knees and buried her face in them, not caring if anyone was wondering why she was sitting on the side of the road.

Jaerin's heart sunk and she could already feel the hot tears starting to form in contrast to the fair, winter-bitten skin on her face. Her parents were going to be so disappointed.

"I'm guessing you were trying to get to the bus stop."

She looked up to see the man who had saved her moments ago, hovering just over her.

"Oh you're still here." She said slightly surprised.

"Oh I'm sorry." He straightened himself and began to turn away. "I can leave if you want me to. I just didn't want to leave you like this."

"No that's not what I meant!" She huffed exasperatedly. "I..I just-"

He turned back around and awaited her response.

"I'm sorry you had to see that," She hung her head shame, embarrassed about her little tantrum.

His eyes turned into half-moons again and he chuckled a little. "Don't worry. It's totally fine."

His smile began to calm Jaerin down a bit, surprisingly. But the relief was short lived and negative thoughts began to bombard her again.

"Actually it's not all fine." Jaerin rested her chin on her knee. "I have to be at the hospital in..." She checked her watch, "10 minutes." Great, it takes me at least 20 minutes to get into town.

The man's eyes widened. "Wait! The hospital? Is someone dying? Are you dying?!" He started to panic, thinking of ways to get this poor lady into town on time.

"Woah. Calm down." She patted his shoulder in attempt to calm and quiet him because his outbursts were starting to bring on onlookers. "No one's dying. Well, only me if I don't get there on time."

His head tilted in confusion. "Then why do you need to go to the hospital?"

She sighed. "I have an interview there. I'm trying to get a job." She said lowly, looking towards her feet.

The stranger's eyebrows disappeared behind his bangs. "Really? You don't seem like the medical field type."

"I'm not." She sighed heavily. "My parents are forcing me to become a nurse." She ran her fingers through her hair in frustration. "Even though I don't want to." She said under her breath. "They're like these really strict Asian parents. Both of them and my sister work in the medical field, so they want me to also.” She rolled her eyes. “I guess it runs in the family." Jaerin didn't know why she was telling all of this to some stranger. She just needed some kind of comfort.

The man had kneeled down beside her during her explanation. For some reason, Jaerin didn't feel creeped out about his closeness. She figured it was because he had been very kind to her so far.

"What do you want to do?" He asked.

Jaerin turned to him, caught off by the question. "What?"

"What do you want to do?" The man simply repeated and looked at her expectantly.

"Well," she started. "No one's asked me that before, at least my parents haven’t."

"Come on. You have to have some kind of idea of what you want to do." The man said encouragingly.

Jaerin sighed. "Fine, I'll tell you." She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. "Music. I want to do music."

The man's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "Really? Like you want to be a singer?"

"Yeah, but it's never going to happen. My parents don't even know I sing and they wouldn't want me to because it's an unstable career," she said as if she was quoting someone.

"Well then. Today's your lucky day."

Jaerin turned to him confused, her eyebrows furrowed. "What do you mean?"

The man smiled brightly. "I just so happen to work at SM Entertainment."

Jaerin's eyes widened largely. "Are you serious?" She almost shouted, turning heads towards them once more.

"Yes I am serious." The young man chuckled lightly. "I could help you schedule an audition."

"Oh my gosh. If you could, that'd be more than great." Jaerin said excitingly.

"Well first, I have to hear you sing, but you don't have to do that now." He added quickly when he noticed she tensed up at the thought of singing on a busy sidewalk.

"Okay, I can do that sometime, I guess." She said. "Anything else?"

The man took a deep breath. "You have to tell your parents. Tell them you don’t want to become a nurse. Tell them you want to do music instead."

Jaerin tensed up at the thought of her telling her parents and basically rebelling against them. But she couldn't help being extremely excited and happy thinking about finally chasing after her lifelong dream.

"They'll probably kill me though." She admitted aloud, saying it more for herself than him.

"Please," he begged. "Please tell them. You'll feel a lot better doing this if you had their support."

"That's true." Jaerin said, still in her thoughts. She thought about all the consequences but in the end, she couldn't deny that she absolutely loved music.

"Okay. I'll tell them."

The man cheered. "Yay!" He looked like a little kid that was getting ice cream.

Jaerin giggled at his reaction. He's kind of cute, she thought.

"Oh and one more thing."

Jaerin groaned sarcastically, "What is it now?"

The man chuckled at her. "You have to give me your number. So we can meet up and you can sing for me and so I can tell you when your audition will be." He said smiling with a flirtatious glint in his eyes.

She rolled her eyes teasingly, "Only if I have to."

They both laughed. The man gave Jaerin his phone and she put her number in. A few seconds later Jaerin's phone got a text message from an unknown number.

"Got it," She said after she saved his number in her phone.

The man stood up and held his hand out to help her up as well. Jaerin blushed then accepted his offer.

They both stood there, noticing it got even colder since they had been talking and only realizing it now.

"I'm sorry," the man started, "but I actually have to go now."

"Oh no it's fine. Thank you for everything," Jaerin said, referring to him catching her when she tripped and for cheering her up.

"No problem," The man smiled and held out his hand. "By the way, I'm Luhan."

Jaerin giggled and shook his hand, "I'm Jaerin."

They held hands just a second longer before pulling away, "Well I have to go. I'll see you around, Jaerin."

Jaerin nodded, "Okay. Thanks for everything again."

Luhan smiled and did a small bow before turning around and leaving. Jaerin watched his retreating back as he disappeared among the crowded sidewalk.

Jaerin smiled and her cheeks turned red, not from the cold but from the fluttering feeling in her stomach she got from the encounter.

She started to skip down the sidewalk, too happy to simply walk, when she left a buzz in pocket. She stopped and took out her phone, seeing that she had one new message from Luhan's number.

"It was nice meeting you :)"

Jaerin blushed even harder. Today really is my lucky day, she thought. All thanks to that stupid rock.

 

 

A/N: So when I originally wrote this, the ending was a lot less cliff hanger-ish and the OC never found out the stranger's name. But now since this has room to grow and the strange man has a name now I was thinking maybe I should continue this? I already have a few ideas on how it could continue from here so please let me know if you think I should! If you like the ending the way it is, let me know that too.

P.S. If I do continue, it'll probably be a good amount of chapters. Also, I'll update really slowly since I'm writing another story still.