Hankyung's Story

Super Junior: Love Series

“Study abroad Hankyung it’ll be good for you.” mumbled Hankyung. “You’ll become smarter I swear, yeah right.” He tossed his bag to the side and threw his books on the floor. “Hankyung, Hangeng, Hankyung, Hangeng China, Korea aish!”

 

Suddenly there was a knock at the door. The door opened a crack to reveal Jonghyun. Hankyung motioned for him to come in.

 

“Hey,” Jonghyun said as he sat down on your bed. “I’m hungry.”

 

Hankyung wacked him on the back of the head. “Hungry? How about cook it yourself.”

 

Jonghyun laughed. “Alright.” He looked down at his feet.

 

Hankyung knew this posture. Something was either wrong or he was going to tell Hankyung something that would make him want to kill Jonghyun.

 

Jonghyun scratched the back of his neck and sighed. “Hankyung don’t kill me okay…”

 

Hankyung rolled his eyes. “Just spit it out already Jonghyun it can’t be that bad.”

 

“Well,” explained Jonghyun. “You know that small spare room here that we keep for guests.” Hankyung nodded. “I’ve sold it to someone.”

 

“What!?” yelled Hankyung. “You sold it to who?”

 

Jonghyun put his hands up in defense. “The rent is getting higher and I thought if we rented out the room to someone it’ll be easier for us.”

 

“Who is moving in?” asked Hankyung through gritted teeth.

 

“A guy named Xiao Jie, he’s coming in from China,” Jonghyun looked down at his watch. “In thirty minutes.”

 

“Thirty minutes!” Hankyung bolted up from his bed. “Yah! Are you crazy why did you just tell me now?”

 

“Hyung, I knew you’d be angry.” Jonghyun stood up calmly from the bed and headed for the door. He looked back and flashed a smile at him. “Don’t worry I checked up on him and everything.”

 

The door slammed shut and Hankyung was left speechless. This kid was unbelievable. Suddenly the doorbell rang. How did thirty minutes turn into one? Hankyung dashed for the front door and so did Jonghyun. They both opened the door at the same time. The surprise and shock could be read all over their faces for before their eyes was a girl leaning on a suitcase handle.

 

“Nihao!”

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

Hankyung and Jonghyun starred at the girl sitting on their couch eating chips. Jonghyun nudged Hankyung. He looked at Jonghyun. Hyung say something. But Hankyung couldn’t, he just continued to stare. A girl was going to be their roommate. She continued to stare back at them in amusement. Her short light brown hair, that was obviously dyed, was in loose curls and her bangs practically covered her eyes. She had on a vintage cream blue headband that had a large white flower on it. She wore an off white wide v-neck shirt that showed her shoulders and a cream blue high waist skirt. On her feet were sandals that had straps that wrapped around her calf like a ballet slipper. But what caught Hankyung’s attention most was her soft cream colored skin and pale pink lips. Hankyung hated to admit it but she was gorgeous. She had packed two large luggage bags and a carry on that was right next to her. This girl really was going to live with them.  But Xiao Jie was a boy’s name wasn’t it? Little Jay?

 

“Hi my names Jonghyun,” Jonghyun extend his hand for her to shake. She took it. “Do you speak Korean?”

 

“Ne, a little.” replied Xiao Jie. She leaned in closer to the two of them and smiled. “You two are so ke ai!”  She jumped up from her seat and began to look around the living room.

 

Jonghyun looked at Hankyung with wide eyes. “Ke ai?” he mouthed.

 

Hankyung nodded. “Cute.” he mouthed back.

 

“So,” Xiao Jie turned around with a smile on her face. “Where’s my room?”

 

Jonghyun nudged Hankyung. Hankyung shook his head. “I’m not going to do it.”

 

Jonghyun raised his hands in prayer form. “Please!” He whispered back.

 

Hankyung rolled his eyes. “Fine.” He stood up and motioned for Xiao Jie to follow him. He opened the door to the spare bedroom. “Here.”

 

Xiao Jie pushed Hankyung aside to get into her room. “Wahhh not bad,” She placed her bags in the middle and sat down on the bed. “Xie Xie!”

 

Hankyung nodded and closed the door to the room. He turned to look at Jonghyun who stared at him with the same shocked expression. “I…think I’m going to kill you.”

 

“Hyung!”

 

“How do you expect us to be roommates with some girl?” Hankyung sat back down next to Jonghyun. “I thought you said you looked up on her.”

 

Jonghyun nodded. “I did, the people said at Roommate Finder that she was a boy from China who needed a room and that he-she’s 22 years old. I even looked up the name Xiao Jie and it was translated to Little Jay didn’t you say that was a boy’s name?”

 

“I did, until I met her.”

 

“Hyung it’ll be okay right? For her to live here?” asked Jonghyun.

 

Hankyung sighed. “We’ll give it a try but if she causes us trouble you’re responsible for finding her a new home.”

 

“Araso,” Jonghyun smiled. “I’m going to make some ramen, you want some?”

 

Hankyung shook his head. “I’m going to bed, night.” He stood up and proceeded to his room.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

BANG!

 

Hankyung woke up with a start. What was that noise? Hankyung got up from the bed and walked out into the living room.

 

“Boo!”

 

Hankyung jumped. He looked down at the floor and saw Xiao Jie sitting. Hankyung crouched down and starred at her.  “What are you doing in the middle of the night?”

 

“I’m moving in my boxes.” She pointed to the boxes right next to her. “They deliver at the wrong time, obviously.” She giggled at her own joke.

 

“Then how’d you end up on the floor?”

 

“I fell,” She smiled sweetly at him. “Will you help me?”

 

Hankyung sighed. He first helped Xiao Jie up her feet. Then, carried the boxes and followed Xiao Jie to her room.

 

“Watch your step.” She warned.

 

Watch my step…..OH MY GOD. Hankyung dropped the boxes down with astonishment.  The room was a complete and total mess. The bed sheets were undone, clothes were strung all over the place, and the desk was piled high with papers.

 

“Yah!” Hankyung yelled. He walked deeper into the room. “How did this room become this messy in less than 24 hours?!”

 

Xiao Jie’s finger was to her lip. “Shhh, Hankyung oppa you’ll wake up Jonghyun oppa.”

 

Oppa? Hankyung shrugged it off. “Okay, I’m going back to sleep.” He opened her door and looked back. “At least clean this place up.”

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

It has been a two weeks since Xiao Jie moved in. And Hankyung regretted every single bit of it. She was extremely messy and that messiness traveled from her room to the living room.

 

Hankyung sighed deeply as he stepped over a pile of left over ramen bowls and took a seat on the sofa. He scrunched his nose as he picked up pieces of her clothing from the sofa. Annoyed, he threw them on the coffee table.

 

“Yah! Xiao Jie ah!”

 

Xiao Jie appeared beside his scratched her head and yawning deeply.

 

“Good morning, Oppa.”

 

“Yah!” Hankyung looked Xiao Jie up and down. She was wearing a gigantic white t-shirt that went pass her thighs. “Are you even wearing shorts?!”

 

Xiao Jie smiled goofily at him. “No.”

 

Hankyung, ready to explode in anger stood up and pointed to her bedroom door. “Go wear some now!”

 

Xiao Jie obeyed his commands and retreated to her bedroom door.

 

Just then Jonghyun came out the door dressed. He looked at Xiao Jie and then at Hankyung and laughed. “Are you two at it again?”

 

Hankyung rolled his eyes and started for the kitchen. “Jonghyun look at the mess she made in the living room and to top it all she’s not even wearing anything on the bottom, what’s next is she going to walk around here ?”

 

“I think I’d like that.” Jonghyun said grinning from ear to ear.

 

Hankyung shot him a look.

 

Jonghyun chuckled. “Okay, okay sorry.” He grabbed an apple from the kitchen basket ad took a bite. “I’m off to work see you later.”

 

Hankyung waved. He returned to making breakfast. He heard Xiao Jie enter the kitchen and plop down on the kitchen chair. He looked over and smiled in relief. Xiao Jie had changed into a teal hoodie and black softie shorts. She pulled the hood up over her head and leaned her face on her hands eyes closed, still sleepy.

 

Ten minutes later Hankyung produced a plate of steaming hot eggs, sausages and rice and placed it in front Xiao Jie. Upon smelling the scent Xiao Jie opened her eyes. She looked down at the plate of food and grinned. She looked up at Hankyung who held out chopsticks for her. She eagerly took it and began to eat. Hankyung sat across from her and ate from his own plate of food. He couldn’t help starring at Xiao Jie as she kept shoveling down food, very un-lady like. Hankyung chuckled as he remembered the first time they met. She looked so flattering in her “vintage look” ensemble now after living with them for two weeks she looked like a starving pig. 

 

She looked up at him and smiled with full. “Are you going out today?” She asked in Chinese.

 

“Yeah, I have work.” Hankyung smiled a bit. It was nice to speak in Chinese. He could never do it with Jonghyun.

 

“Zhen de ma? Where do you work?” asked Xiao Jie.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

“A bookstore?!”

 

Hankyung glared at Xiao Jie. “Be quiet will you.” He led her to a couch. “Sit here and read or something I have to clock in.”

 

Xiao Jie nodded and watched Hankyung go. She looked around the bookstore. It was neat and very cozy feeling. Like a home. Each bookshelf was stacked with various books big and small. There was a very mini café on the far right. The barista looked bored as she twirled her fingers in her hair. She spotted Hankyung coming out from the back and putting on an apron. He stood behind the cash register and rung up a customer.

 

After a while Hankyung looked up at the clock.  His shift was finally over. As he was taking off his apron he realized he had left Xiao Jie alone. He strolled over to the couch that he left her at and chuckled. Xiao Jie was lying down on the couch with a book over her face.  Hankyung was about to lean over and poke her but she suddenly began to talk.

 

“Ma, I miss you.” Xiao Jie mumbled.

 

Was she still asleep?

 

Suddenly a snort came out from .

 

Definitely asleep.

 

“Ma,” Xiao Jie started to say in Chinese. “I miss you so much.” Tears began to fall from her face. “Why did you make me leave?”

 

Hankyung bent down, leaned forward and wiped the tears from Xiao Jie’s cheeks. He shook her by the shoulders softly. “Xiao Jie, wake up.”

 

Xiao Jie slowly opened her eyes and sat up. “Are you done already, oppa?”

 

Hankyung nodded. “Let’s go home.”

 

They walked out of the store together.

 

“Xiao Jie, why did you come to Korea?” asked Hankyung

 

Xiao Jie smiled at him. “My mother wanted me to have a better education.”

 

Hankyung nodded. “When do you start at the university?”

 

“Next week.” replied Xiao Jie. “How come you don’t attend at the university?”

 

Hankyung smirked. “I graduated already.”

 

“Zhen de ma?! How old are you?”

 

“I’m 25, how about you?”

 

“22, you’re three years older than me!”

 

“Why? Is that hard to believe?”

 

“You only look 23.”

 

Hankyung chuckled. “Thanks.”

 

They arrived at the apartment.  Hankyung took out his keys and opened the door to the apartment.  “But do me a huge favor.”

 

“Ne?”

 

“Please clean up your room.”

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

“Hey hyung what are you up too?” asked Jonghyun as plopped down on the couch beside him.

 

Hankyung kept his eyes on his laptop and didn’t respond.

 

“Hyung?” Jonghyun leaned over to take a closer look at the computer screen.

 

SNAP! Hankyung closed the computer screen and glared at Jonghyun.

 

Jonghyun gave him a cheeky grin. “You were chatting with someone weren’t you?” He said pointing at Hankyung and giggling like a little girl.

 

“No I wasn’t.” replied Hankyung. He stood up and started for his bedroom.

 

Jonghyun leaped up from the couch and followed him. “Who is she, do I know her, what’s her name, is she cute?”

 

Hankyung whirled around and yelled at his face. “Shut up!”

 

“What’s going on oppa’s?”

 

The two turned to look at Xiao Jie.  She was dressed in a dark purple ruffled blouse with short sleeves and black denim shorts. Her short light brown hair was up in a ponytail and her bangs covered her forehead. She had a large tote bag on one shoulder and notebooks in her hand.

 

“Hankyung’s got himself a girlfriend.” replied Jonghyun. He stuck his tongue out at Hankyung and made a dash for his room.

 

Hankyung shook his head. How immature. He walked towards Xiao Jie and leaned against the wall. “Are you heading off to the university?”

 

She nodded. “First day.”

 

“You want me take you there?” asked Hankyung in Chinese

 

Xiao Jie shook her head no. “I’ll be alright.”

 

“Okay, I’ll see you later have a good day.” She smiled at him and walked out of the apartment.

 

Hankyung stared at the door.

 

“Or is it Xiao Jie?”

 

Hankyung whirled around. “Yah Jonghyun ah!”

 

“Neng!” Jonghyun stuck out his tongue and shut the door

 

That was the end of that.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

Hankyung opened the door to the dark apartment and quietly stepped inside. It was late and he was scared he would wake Jonghyun or Xiao Jie up. He shrugged off his coat and placed it down on the couch. Suddenly, Hankyung heard a sobbing sound. He turned around. It was coming from Xiao Jie’s bedroom.  He peeped at the crack of the door. Xiao Jie was crouched on the floor holding a phone to her ear tightly. Tears were falling from her face heavily.

 

“Pa,” she said in Chinese “Are you sure, I can go home right now.”

 

Go home? Xiao Jie was leaving already?

 

“But Pa, please if mom’s…” She sighed heavily. “Are you sure? Okay I’ll call you later.” She hung up the phone. She wiped away the tears from her face and stood up from her position.

 

Hankyung swiftly moved away from the door and sat down on the coach.

 

“Oppa?” Xiao Jie made her way over to the couch and sat beside him. “You just came back home?”

 

Hankyung nodded. He stared at her face. “Are you alright?”

 

Xiao Jie looked away. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

 

“Xiao Jie, I’m here for you when you need me, we aren’t just only roommates, we’re friends as well.”

 

Xiao Jie smiled at him. “Thanks,” She stood up from the couch. “Good night oppa.”

 

“Goodnight.”

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

Hankyung just couldn’t get his mind off Xiao Jie and that night. Why was she crying? Why was she offering her dad for her to leave? What happed to the messy, bubbly, energetic, clumsy Xiao Jie?

 

For the past week she hasn’t been herself. She leaves her room and goes off to the university, then comes home and locks herself in her room. Yesterday Hankyung took a peek in her room. It was spotless, clean. It was so unlike her.

 

“You noticed it too?”

 

Hankyung looked up and found Jonghyun leaning on his door frame with his arms crossed.

 

“Yeah, I do.” replied Hankyung.

 

“Do you know why?” asked Jonghyun

 

Hankyung shook his head. No.

 

“Hyung, I think you should talk to her, you are from the same country, and maybe she just misses home.”

 

Jonghyun had a point. He should go talk to her. When she comes home.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

From the kitchen Hankyung hears the door open. He rushes to if it’s Xiao Jie. It is. Hankyung watches her take off her shoes.

 

“How was school?” asked Hankyung. “Are you hungry?” God. He sounded like his mother.

 

“No, I’m good.” Replied Xiao Jie

 

Hankyung watched her walk to her room and shut the door. He took the food from the kitchen and opened the door. He found her sitting on her bed. She looked up at him with shocked eyes. He tried to be nice. Now Hankyung needs to be straight forward.

 

“You have to eat.” Hankyung handed her a plate of his Beijing fried rice as he sat down beside her on the bed. Xiao Jie took a small bite.

 

“So tell me why you’ve been mopping around for the past week.”

 

“What do you mean?” replied Xiao Jie.

 

“Yeah, Jonghyun and I are concerned about you.”

 

Xiao Jie looked down at her plate. “It’s nothing.”

 

“Xiao Jie,” Hankyung said forcefully in Chinese.” Look me in the eyes and tell me it’s really nothing.”

 

Suddenly Xiao Jie’s shoulders began to shake. Hankyung placed a hand on her shoulder and patted her back.

 

“Hangeng,” Xiao Jie said saying his Chinese name. “My mom she’s sick.” Tears fell down her face as she continued. “I don’t understand why she won’t just let me come home and take care of her, if she dangerously falls ill while I’m here I don’t know what I will do.”

 

Hankyung didn’t know what to do but hug Xiao Jie close and let her cry on his shirt. He could sort of relate to Xiao Jie. He missed his parents terribly, especially his mom.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

She continued to cry and Hankyung continued to rub her back. Loud sobs continued to escape from .

 

“Hangeng I want to go home.”

 

“Shhh.” Hankyung rocked back and forth in place while rubbing her back.  “It’s okay.”

 

After another hour of continuously rubbing Xiao Jie’s back and soothing her with soft words, she fell asleep on Hankyung’s lap. He brushed her hair away from her face. Hankyung smiled at her sleeping face. Softly he began to sing.

 

ru guo quan shi jie wo ye ke yi fang qi

 

If I can give up the whole world

 

zho shao hai you ni zhi de wo qu zhen xi

 

At least there is still you for me to treasure

 

er ni zai zhe li

 

And you are here

 

jiu sji sjemg ming de qi ji

 

That is the miracle of life

 

-At Least There’s Still You – Super Junior M

 

Suddenly the door opened a crack. Hankyung looked up, finding Jonghyun at the door.

 

“Hyung,” Jonghyun mouthed. “Is she asleep?”

 

Hankyung nodded.

 

Jonghyun came inside and sat beside Jonghyun. “Is she alright, all I heard was crying.” Whispered Jonghyun

 

“Mhmmm, she’s alright just I guess she hasn’t cried out loud in a long time.” Hankyung looked down at her. “I feel so bad, I really don’t know what to do.”

 

Jonghyun smiled. “You like her don’t you, hyung?”

 

 Hankyung didn’t answer him. He didn’t want too. A casual friend wouldn’t care so much. A casual friend wouldn’t barge into her personal life. A casual friend wouldn’t let her sleep on his lap.

 

Jonghyun chuckled. “Keep denying it in your head.”

 

“I think I should take her to China with me.”

 

“Hyung…”

 

“I’m serious,” replied Hankyung with a small smile on his face. “I think it would be good with her I’ve been planning to go back for a while, that was why I was on the computer a few weeks ago, if you want you can come too.”

 

Jonghyun shook his head. “I’d probably be in the way of you two, besides I just can’t take a day off whenever I want like you, but promise me you’ll buy me gifts.”

 

Hankyung laughed. “Definitely.”

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

Xiao Jie lifted her head from the soft pillow. She pulled off the covers and looked around her. She must have fallen asleep last night.

 

“Here.”

 

Xiao Jie looked up. It was Hankyung. He presented her a granola bar and along with it a white envelope. She took the two in her hands but discarded the granola bar first. She flipped the envelope in her hands. “What’s this?”

 

Hankyung gestured her to open it.  She stuck her fingers in the envelope and took out two tickets. “Hangeng, what is this?” She asked in Chinese.

 

“Plane tickets.” replied Hankyung. “To China.”

 

“Hangeng I…don’t know what to say…”

 

“Take them, I’ll go with you, you’ll be able to see your family and I can see mine it’s a win-win situation, after all this is what friends are for.” replied Hankyung.

 

Xiao Jie looked up and gave Hankyung a small smile. “You’re right, thank you.” She placed her hand on top of his. “Thank you for everything.”

 

Hankyung smiled. He reached over and pinched her cheeks, lightly. “As long as I don’t see you cry when you’re around me, ever.”

 

Xiao Jie nodded happily.

 

Hankyung stood up. “I suggest you start packing some things we’ll be leaving for China in three days.”

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

Xiao Jie peered down at the face of the sleeping Hankyung. It was 10 hours into their flight and once Hankyung stepped foot on the plane he fell right to sleep. It was so boring.  She suddenly had the urge to touch his face. Xiao Jie leaned forward. His face was calm and his eyes closed shut. His mouth was in a firm line. She tapped his nose with her finger. Real. Then she traced his jaw line. It was almost too perfect.

 

“Yah!” Hankyung opened his mouth wide and bit Xiao Jie’s finger.

 

She yelped in pain and pulled her finger out. “What was that for?!”

 

“For touching my face!’ Hankyung sat up from his chair. “What do I have something on my face?”

 

Xiao Jie laughed out loud. “No oppa, sorry.”

 

“Ladies and Gentleman we will be arriving soon in Beijing China, please fasten your seatbelts as we prepare for landing.”

 

Hankyung reached over and did the seatbelt for Xiao Jie.  Twenty minutes later they felt the familiar feeling in their stomach as they landed.

 

“Thank you for flying with Korean Air please exit on your left and retrieve your luggage in the baggage claim.”

 

Xiao Jie ran out of the terminal and inhaled a deep breath. “Chinese air!”

 

“Idiot,” muttered Hankyung. He headed towards the luggage claim and searched for their bags.

 

Xiao Jie looked around her and smiled. It was finally great to be home.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

“This is where you live?” Hankyung surveyed the house before him. It was a quaint little home. It was two stories high and made of bricks. It had that antique type feel.

 

Xiao Jie rummaged around her bag and found the keys to the gate. She fumbled a bit but finally opened the gate. They stepped inside.

 

“Ma, Pa?”

 

No response. Xiao Jie looked around the front yard. It was odd. She opened the door to her house and stepped inside. It was empty. Quiet. Xiao Jie ran up the stairs and looked in every room. “Hangeng, no one’s here!”

 

Suddenly, Hankyung heard footsteps approaching the door. The door opened and in walked a mid sixties man. He looked at Hankyung with wide eyes. “Who are you?”

 

“Pa!” Xiao Jie came running down the stairs. Her eyes landed on her dad and she engulfed him in a huge hug.

 

“What are you doing here?” asked her father.

 

“I’m here to visit you and Ma.” She looked over her shoulders and out the door. “Where is she?”

 

Xiao Jie ran outside to her front yard. “Ma?”

 

Hankyung took a peek at her father. Then, he knew. The look on her father’s face said it all. Guiltiness.

 

Her father slowly walked out of the house. “Xiao Jie la, please listen to me first.”

 

Seeing the seriousness in her father’s face, her smile disappeared. “What happened?”

 

“Your mother… she’s in the hospital,” Her father looked away. “She’s dying.”

 

Upon hearing those words Xiao Jie’s knees crumbled to the floor. Shock, was written all over her face.  “You lied to me.” She whispered.

 

Hankyung couldn’t move. He stared at Xiao Jie as a waterfall of tears fell from her face.

 

“You liar!” She yelled. “You told me Ma was going to be okay!” Her sobs turned into loud gasps for air. “What if Ma had died before I came home, were you planning to ever tell me?!”

 

“Xiao Jie…” he reached out for.

 

She slapped his hand away. “No, don’t you dare!” Xiao Jie continued to sob. “You knew how much I missed her, you knew how much I wanted to come home, yet you just me she was sick and it’ll all be okay! Just leave me alone!”

 

Xiao Jie’s father could not do anything. He took one last look at his daughter before retreating back into the house.

 

Suddenly, Xiao Jie collapsed onto the ground in tears. Hankyung rushed by her side and pulled her up. “Xiao Jie stop crying.”

 

She didn’t listen to him and continued to cry. Hankyung took her in his arms and hugged her tight. He rubbed her back like he did back in Korea. “Stop this and reason with your dad, okay. You should hear what has to say. Please, stop crying now.”

 

Slowly her crying stopped. Hankyung continued to hug her. They sat in silence.

 

 After a few minutes Hankyung held Xiao Jie back and examined her face. He wiped away her remaining tears. “Go inside and take a long shower, okay?”

 

Xiao Jie nodded. She leaned over and planted a quick kiss on Hankyung’s lips. She smiled at him, stood up and headed inside her house.

 

Hankyung stared at the back view of Xiao Jie until she disappeared. He touched the part of his lip that she kissed. Still in a gaze Hankyung stood up and slowly walked into the house. On his way he grabbed the luggage and lugged it inside. He spotted Xiao Jie’s father sitting at the kitchen table with his head in his hands. Hankyung approached him.

 

“Nihao, sir I’m Hankyung Xiao Jie’s friend.” Hankyung bowed.

 

Xiao Jie’s father lifted his head. He motioned for Hankyung to take a seat.

 

“Thank you for calming down Xiao Jie for me.”

 

Hankyung nodded.

 

“There’s a spare bedroom upstairs next to Xiao Jie’s room, I’ll prepare dinner now.” He stood up and headed for the kitchen.

 

“You sure you don’t need any help?” asked Hankyung.

 

“I’m fine,” replied the father. “Just get yourself settled in.”

 

Hankyung took the luggage and headed for the upstairs. He passed of pictures, of Xiao Jie and her family. It seems Xiao Jie is an only child. He passed the photos of her school life. He chuckled at the picture of her in mud holding a lump of mud in her hands. Ke ai. As he passed the doors he heard the water stop running. Xiao Jie must be finished. Hankyung figured the clock with Xiao Jie’s name on it is her bedroom.  Hankyung dropped off her luggage by the door. Remembering her father’s words Hankyung opened the door right next to Xiao Jie’s.

 

It was a nice quaint room. Hankyung could feel the “homey” feel. The floor was wooden and so was practically everything else in the room. The bed was a queen size, much larger than the one he had in Korea. He took his luggage and placed it on the bed. He began to unpack.

 

“I see you found the room.”

 

Hankyung looked up. Xiao Jie smiled at him. Her hair was still wet from the shower. She wore a wide v-neck white shirt and denim shorts. She walked into the room and sat on the bed. She helped Hankyung unpack. They stayed quiet, for a while. He would unpack and she would help place it in the bureau.

 

“Your dad,” said Hankyung breaking the silence first. “is making dinner.”

 

“Okay.” They locked eyes.

 

Hankyung was dying to ask the most important question. He just had to get it out. “Why did you kiss me?”

 

Xiao Jie swiftly looked away and continued putting his clothes in the bureau. “I don’t know.”

 

It was silent again. She doesn’t know? Was it just some random act? It wasn’t likely but it could have been.

 

“Guys!” shouted her father. “Dinner!”

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

Hankyung plopped down on his bed, ran his fingers through his hair and sighed. That was the most awkward dinner he had ever had to sit though. It was complete silence as they ate. Xiao Jie and her father did not look at each, not even once. Hankyung didn’t know what to do. So, he just ate until his dinner was done. Now, he’s up in the guestroom.

 

Suddenly Hankyung heard loud voices booming from downstairs. He walked out of the room and sat down on the top step of the staircase.

 

“What kind of cancer is it?” Hankyung recognized this voice as Xiao Jie’s.

 

“Stomach cancer.” replied her father. “Xiao Jie when you called, I know I only told you your mother was just sick and that everything was going to be fine. The doctors said she was going to be fine. I didn’t want to worry you. Your mother was just diagnosed a week ago, there is no cure just medication to prolong it.”

 

“Then, Ma will definitely die.” Xiao Jie said. “When?”

 

“It’s unpredictable,” her father said. “Your mother, I called her while I was cooking dinner she wants me to bring you to the hospital. She wants to see you.”

 

“Pa, I don’t think I can.”

 

“Xiao Jie la, you can think about it but tomorrow morning I’m going there.” Hankyung heard the dinner chair scrape against the floor. “Goodnight.”

 

“Goodnight.” Xiao Jie stood up from her chair.

 

Hankyung heard Xiao Jie start for the stairs. He quickly stood up and ran to his room. He watched Xiao Jie walk into her room from behind the door. Hankyung closed the door to his room and began to get ready for bed.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

Hankyung opened his eyes, startled. He rolled around in his bed searching for his cell phone. With groggy eyes he read the caller id.

 

“Jonghyun,” He muttered. He picked up the phone. “What?!”

 

“Hyung, did I wake you?” asked Jonghyun.

 

“No…” Hankyung replied sarcastically.

 

“Mianhe, I just wanted to check how you were doing.”

 

“I’m fine,” grumbled Hankyung. “It’s so late Jonghyun, how can you forget the time difference?”

 

“Mianhe hyung I’ll call you tomorrow then, go back to sleep.”

 

At this, they hung up. Hankyung couldn’t fall back to sleep so he got out of bed and headed for the bathroom. He splashed the water on his face. It woke him up a little bit more. He took a glance at the wall clock. 5:38 a.m. Hankyung walked out of the bathroom. As he passed Xiao Jie’s room, Hankyung heard a noise. He stopped as he heard the noise again. Worried, Hankyung knocked on the door.

 

No response. He knocked again. Hankyung opened the door slightly. He poked his head in. The room was the exact same structure as the guest room but Xiao Jie styled. The walls were cream colored but had many posters of bands. Her bed was the same size but the bed sheets were light blue with vintage flower designs on it. In the bed was a sleeping Xiao Jie.

 

Suddenly she started to mumble a few words that Hankyung couldn’t make out. He approached her bed and realized she was crying in her sleep.

 

Hankyung reached for her. “Xiao Jie…”

 

Slowly, Xiao Jie opened her eyes. She immediately sat up and hugged Hankyung. She pressed her face against his body. Hankyung looked down at Xiao Jie waiting for her to speak.

 

“I had a bad dream,” whispered Xiao Jie. “That my mom died and left me alone.” She hugged him tighter. “I’m so scared to be alone.” She paused a moment and then continued. “Hangeng, zhema phan?” (translation- What do I do? Sp?)

 

Hankyung didn’t have an answer to that question. He felt her start to cry again. Hankyung brushed her hair and rubbed her back which seem to be the only useful thing at this moment.

 

“You won’t be alone.” replied Hankyung. “You’ll have your dad, me and Jonghyun.”

 

Xiao Jie sniffled. “I’m scared I won’t be able to see my mom before she dies.”

 

Hankyung chuckled. “Silly girl go with your dad tomorrow to see her.”

 

“You heard?” asked Xiao Jie.

 

Hankyung nodded. “Pretty hard not to.”

 

“Will you go with me?”

 

“Sure.” replied Hankyung. He noticed the time on the clock. IT was getting late. He gently pulled away from Xiao Jie’s hug. “I’m going to go back to bed, I’ll see you tomorrow morning.”  Hankyung began to make his way towards the door.

 

“Hangeng!” called out Xiao Jie.

 

He turned around to face her.

 

“Would it be weird if I asked you to stay with me, just for tonight?”

 

Hankyung smiled. “It’s okay I understand.”

 

Xiao Jie handed him a pillow and a blanket to sleep with on the couch. Hankyung set himself up and lied down. He closed his eyes, and fell right to sleep.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

Hankyung woke up to find Xiao Jie missing from her bed. He glanced at the clock. It was 8:00 a.m. He groggily got up from the couch. He groaned at the sudden pains that pierced through his back. The couch was definitely not the ideal place to sleep in. He walked to the bathroom. As he looked at himself in the mirror he noticed a yellow post-it note stuck on his t-shirt.

 

“Hangeng,” the post-it read. “I’m sorry about last night. I thought I would burden you by making you come with me to the hospital. Visit your mom. My dad left the car keys for you. He really likes you for some reason :].  –Xiao Jie”

 

Hankyung smiled. He quickly changed into a plain gray v-neck and dark blue skinny jeans. He pocketed his phone, I-pod, keys and Xiao Jie’s post-it note. Hankyung walked outside and hopped into Xiao Jie’s dad’s car. Hankyung couldn’t wait to see his mom.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

Hankyung stopped the car in the front of his mother’s dumpling shop. He smiled at the familiar red Chinese lettering, large for everyone to see. The same blue tent that shadowed over the take out window was still there ever since he helped his dad set it up. Hankyung walked up to the shop and opened the red double doors an entered. He decided to surprise his mom. He sat in the back of the store and ordered a plate of dumplings. Hankyung made sure he kept his face hidden. Fifteen minutes later the waitress appeared with his plate of dumpling. He immediately inhales the familiar scent of his mother’s dumplings. Hankyung dipped the first dumpling into the soy sauce and took a bite. Exactly the same since he left.

 

After polishing off the last dumpling he called the waitress to summon the owner of the shop.  The waitress nodded and left. Hankyung was surprised she didn’t notice him. There was a picture of him and his mom when they went camping on one of the counters.

 

“Nihao customer I’m the owner.”

 

Hankyung looked up and smiled.

 

“Hangeng!”

 

Hankyung stood up and hugged his mother. She hugged him tight. “What are you doing here?”

 

“I bought tickets,” replied Hankyung. “I really miss you Ma.”

 

Hankyung’s mom smiled and his cheek. “I missed you too, I’m glad you’re home.” She pointed at the seats. “Lai, have a seat let’s talk.”

 

So they talked. Hankyung told her about his life in Korea and how his job was going. He told her about Jonghyun whom he mentioned about a 100 times to her on the phone. Then he mentioned Xiao Jie and her situation and the reasons why she was in China.

 

“You should take home my dumplings to her!” exclaimed his mother. “Bring her over to stay next week I’d really like to meet your ‘friend’. “ She emphasized the friend part and winked at him.

 

“Ma!” Hankyung rolled his eyes at her. “It’s not like that.”

 

“Mhmmm.” She giggled. “I have to continue working,” She stood up from her seat. “Call me okay when you’re coming.”

 

Hankyung nodded. “I’ll see you soon Ma.”

 

“Bye bye Hangeng.” She gave his cheek one last pat before heading off to the kitchen.

 

He sure missed his mom.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

“Come on Xiao Jie you look fine.” Hankyung pulled Xiao Jie’s hand.

 

“No I don’t I look horrible!” cried Xiao Jie. “I don’t look like meet-your-mother worthy!”

 

”Are you kidding me, you look fine!” Hankyung smiled at the effort Xiao Jie had put meeting his mom. She dressed up nice. She wore dark blue skinny jeans and cream colored baby doll top. “I looked like a bum when I met your dad so it up and get inside!”

 

“Hangeng?” They turned around to the voice of Hankyung’s mom staring at them. “I heard screaming so I thought there was…oh my you must be Xiao Jie!” She ran over to Xiao Jie and touched her face. “You’re such a pretty girl, lai come in come in I have dumplings for you to eat!” His mother grabbed Xiao Jie’s hands and led her inside the house.

 

Xiao Jie looked back at Hankyung who shrugged with a smirk on his face. He followed them inside.

 

“Now, when Hangeng mention you the other day I just had to have you come over!” Hankyung’s mom grinned from ear to ear. “From the way he described you it seems he missed how beautiful you are.”

 

“Thank you.” smiled Xiao Jie. “He didn’t mention how beautiful I was now did he?” She stared at Hankyung and gave him the death glare.

 

Hankyung shrugged once again.

 

“Come have some dumplings eat.” His mother led them into the living room where a plate of hot dumplings was set on the coffee table. She set Xiao Jie and Hankyung down on the couch and moved to the chair that was opposite of them.

 

“So,” asked his mom with a toothy grin. “Are you two in a more then friendship relationship?”

 

“Ma!”

 

“I’m just asking Hangeng!” She turned her attention to Xiao Jie. “For such a beautiful girl like you how could my Hangeng not make any moves on you?”

 

Xiao Jie blushed. “Thank you mama.”

 

“Mama, oh how cute!” Suddenly an ear splitting whistle came from the kitchen. Hankyung’s mom clapped her hands. “Ah, it must be the tea, be back in a minute.” She scurried off to the kitchen.

 

They both looked at each other. Hankyung wiggled his eyebrows. Xiao Jie giggled.

 

“Hangeng!” Hankyung looked up and found his dad smiling at him from the doorway. “You’re home!”

 

Hankyung stood up immediately and bowed down to his dad. His dad let out a happy laugh. He grabbed Hankyung from his bowed position and gave him a big hug. “Where’s mama?”

 

“In the kitchen.” replied Hankyung.

 

His dad fixed his eyes on Xiao Jie. He glanced at Hankyung and smiled. “Well, who’s this?”

 

“This is Xiao Jie, my friend.” He emphasized the friend part.

 

“Right…” His dad continued to smile. “I’ll go help your mom in the kitchen.”

 

As soon as Hankyung’s father entered the kitchen they heard giggles and whispers.

 

Hankyung rolled his eyes. “I’m sorry, they’re like that when there’s the opposite in the room…with me.”

 

Xiao Jie laughed. “It’s okay your parents are sweet.”

 

“If you say so.” replied Hankyung.

 

“Besides, “Xiao Jie said. “I’m loving these dumplings!” She plopped one into whole. She smiled as she chewed.

 

“Don’t forget to breathe.” teased Hankyung

 

Xiao Jie stuck her tongue at him as she grabbed another dumpling.

 

“Dinner’s ready kids!” announced Hankyung’ mom.

 

They went into the dining room and took a seat next to each other. His father was already seated and out came his mother bringing out plates of food. Xiao Jie stared at each dish with amazement. Hankyung nudged her. “What, you’ve never had a meal before?”

 

Xiao Jie shook her head. “Not as lavish as this.”

 

“Eat up!” Hankyung’s mom sat down and began piling food on Xiao Jie’s plate.

 

The night continued on with the dinner. Hankyung’s mom kept asking questions about their relationship.  Every time they simply denied that anything was going on. They laughed and spoke of Korea and how Hankyung and Xiao Jie met. Hankyung was surprised that his mom and dad didn’t flip out when they found out Xiao Jie was him and Jonghyun’s roommate. It was probably because his parents loved Xiao Jie too much to just simply overlook that thought.  After eating and chatting for a while, they left.

 

Hankyung and Xiao Jie were walking towards the car. They both got in. Hankyung started the engine and started to drive. It was peculiarly quiet.

 

“I… have a confession to make.” Xiao Jie whispered.

 

At a stop light Hankyung turned to look at Xiao Jie. “What do you mean?”

 

“Tonight, every time we kept explaining what our relationship was I felt like dying inside.” Xiao Jie replied. “Just friends.”

 

Hankyung accelerated the gas pedal once the light turned green. What did Xiao Jie mean by that?

 

“I just…when I kissed you I knew I wasn’t supposed to. I let it go. Or when all the times you held me tight my stomach had butterflies, I knew I wasn’t supposed to.” Xiao Jie kept her head down as she spoke. “But, I did and that’s what scares me the most. It’s that maybe I’m falling for you.”

 

Silence. No other word could describe the incredible silence that filled the car. Hankyung didn’t know what to say. It was sudden.

 

“Xiao Jie…”

 

“I know,” She whispered “I know.”

 

Then, Hankyung couldn’t believe what he did. He reached over and placed his hand on Xiao Jie’s. She slowly lifted her hand to interlace hers with his.

 

“Now I’ll have to hear my mom and dad tell me that they were right all along.” Hankyung said grinning.

 

Xiao Jie broke out into a smile and laughed. “I’ll help you then.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

Xiao Jie caressed his hand with her thumb. “No, thank you.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------

 

After two more weeks in China it was time for Hankyung and Xiao Jie to come home. Xiao Jie’s mom was doing fine and was able to be released from the hospital as long as she took her medication. Her father promised Xiao Jie to report any news to her as soon as possible. With Hankyung, his mom and dad continuously teased the two of them once they announced their news. Hankyung’s mom and dad wanted to know when they would be able to have grandchildren.  Once, they finally said their last goodbyes they headed off to the airport.

 

Now in the plane back to Korea Hankyung and Xiao Jie sat next to each other holding hands. Hankyung was asleep and Xiao Jie was watching him sleep.

 

“You know,” Hankyung said smirking with his eyes closed. “You’ll be able to get used to my sleeping face all the time now.”

 

Xiao Jie playfully punched his arm. “Why?”

 

“Because, you’ll be sleeping with me in my room.” Hankyung opened his eyes to face Xiao Jie’s shocked face. He turned her hand over, palm side up. With his finger he began to write on her hand. “Because…”

 

Xiao Jie looked down at her hand as he wrote. “Wo.”

 

He wrote another character. “Ai.”

 

Then another. “Ni.”

 

“Wo Ai Ni.” Xiao Jie dictated smiling.

 

Hankyung reached over and planted a kiss on Xiao Jie’s lips. “Wo Ai Ni.”