After The Red Carpet

After The Red Carpet

The incessant ringing of his phone has the beautiful blonde man more irate than he already was. Of course, knowing who was calling him simply adds fuel to his already blazing anger. He was calling.

How dare they?!

How ing dare they?!!

He had hoped that perhaps the day for them finally meet face to face in public had come. He promised they would this time and Jaejoong believed.

It wasn’t his fault. Jaejoong knew that all too well. Still, he just needed a punching bag at the moment and his almond eyed lover just so happened to be calling at the wrong time.

Though he really should have known better given the years they’ve been together.

Despite the speculations throughout the years of their separation, he had always hoped that they weren’t just mere speculations. That it would actually be realized. He continuously hoped that they could finally be seen in public together after that horrendous blood battle; get their pictures taken within the same frame that weren’t photoshopped by fans and just, goddamn, breathe the same air as them like they once did.

Because hope was the only thing that kept him living. Kept him going. Kept him sane.

Always keep the faith.

That was what was inked onto his precious porcelain skin.

Keeping the faith is hard though. His heart would break every time those speculations of their public meeting would remain just that. He’d glue it again with the faith he had promised to keep and break it all over again when the next rumour comes out and the cycle repeats.

It was pathetic, he knows.

But Dong Bang Shin Ki was his whole life.

Still is.

Because JYJ was as much of a Dong Bang Shin Ki member as the other two.

He should be used to the way SME plays their game by now but his fragile heart knows nothing about that.

He’s only grateful for the protection of his sunglasses on the red carpet for god-knows-how-long.

He didn’t want to see other people’s smiling faces when his smile is upside down on the inside.

He didn’t want to see pity in other people’s eyes because he’d feel more pitiful than he already was.

He didn’t want to see disappointment in Cassiopeias’ faces because they were, once again, not to be reunited.

He didn’t want to see all that because that would just confirm their absence for the premiere. And Jaejoong wants to hold onto that thin thread of hope that they would come.

But he held on too tight and the thread couldn’t bear the strain of hope, and snapped.

So he left.

The three of them left right after the red carpet.

They didn’t even care of what it would look like because honestly, their fans love them no matter what they do, and it’s a damn right arrogant but true fact. Though, it really is due to their hectic schedules that they had to leave.

Somehow, Yunho had probably gotten the news of their departure and has been trying to reach Jaejoong non-stop on the phone but to no avail.

The androgynous man has been driving his Bentley and has now reached his apartment. He really has no fight left in him to deal with Yunho. He feels so drained. Emotionally.

He unlocked the door to his apartment and immediately felt something was off.

Jaejoong was always an instinctual being and they’ve never failed him in his almost 30 years of living. It wasn’t telling him that it was a “danger” off but more like a familiar kind of off but he can’t quite put his finger on it.

So what…?

“Hyung~”

Oh dear God. Jae’s motherly instincts kicked all his other instincts aside to go full drive and his slim legs made a dash towards the source of whining.

Yes, whining.

And he could recognize that whine anywhere because Dong Bang’s maknae is the embodiment of whining given the brat that he is.

Though, the maknae couldn’t really be blamed because Yunho and Jaejoong really did spoil him.

He found the maknae wrapped in a blanket like a kimbab in his spare room. So begin the mother henning.

“Changmin-ah! What happened?!” Jae asked, while putting his hand on Changmin’s forehead. It was burning.

“Jae hyung? I thought it was Yunho hyung…ugh… hyung, why is there two of you?~”

“Minnie, you’re burning up. Let me whip up your favourite chicken soup so you can eat your meds and get better, hm?” Jae suggested.

“Hmmmmmm, fooooooodddd~” was Changmin’s (in)coherent response.

Jae just chuckled. Changmin is too adorable when he is sick. And he resented that. The maknae was always adamant on not looking adorable or cute since his concept was stolen by Junsu and always made sure he was healthy.

Because he was only left with the tall one after that. And to be tall, one has to be healthy. And to be healthy, one has to, of course, eat.

At least, that was how Changmin argued his logic.

It was almost one in the morning and he has a schedule at seven but God forbid Jaejoong from taking care of his beloved dongsaeng.

He walked into his kitchen only to find Yunho trying to cook something that he could only deem as boiling water because the leader seems to be having a hard time trying to determine which ingredient goes into the pot next.

His almost-forgotten anger returned full force only this time he felt more annoyed than angry and it was for a completely different reason.

Yunho really should have known better than to step into Jae’s kitchen unsupervised.

Hell, the leader really should have known not to step into any kitchen anywhere at all. The man and a kitchen just do not belong together in this lifetime.

“What are you doing?” he asked, annoyance clear in his voice. The leader only just noticed his presence at his question.

“Er…I’m trying to make Changmin soup but I don’t know how,” the leader pouted, looking sheepish.

And just like that, the anger that Jae felt towards his lover was evaporated.

Yunho really wasn’t playing fair. That pout. That sheepish look. How he managed to do both at the same time he would never know. And the soup was for Changmin. How could he stay mad to all of that?

“Let me. I was going to make him soup anyway,” he offered.

“But you’re tired,” Yunho countered.

“Like Changmin would ever eat anything you cook. And let me remind you that this is my kitchen and how many times have I told you not to come here unsupervised?” Jae scoffed.

Recognizing defeat, the leader took sanctuary in one of the seats in the kitchen. Jae was, of course, right. He’d rather sit and watch his lover work his magic in his kitchen anyway. He almost forgot that he needed adult supervision in any kitchen, especially Jae’s kitchen. He knew he was forgiven though. Jaejoong wouldn’t allow him to sit in the kitchen if he was still mad. He took a moment to silently thank Changmin in his head because Yunho was sure he was the only reason that Jaejoong wasn’t spitting mad at him right now.

But his lover still needed placating. He wouldn’t be Jaejoong if he didn’t. Not only did they not meet at the premiere, Changmin was sick and he stepped into Jaejoong’s kitchen without permission. That’s three strikes. It wouldn’t do him any good to get himself a fourth. He needed to find the right opening though, and right now, with Jae being content in his own little world with the chicken soup, Yunho deemed it safe enough to begin appeasing his lover.

He quietly slipped out of his chair and slowly but steadily made his way towards his lover who was humming quietly to himself of what suspiciously appears to be The Three Bears to Yunho’s sharp hearing.

He inwardly chuckled.

Jae was so random that it was hard to keep up with him sometimes but his randomness is one of his most endearing qualities.

He slightly hesitated on his next course of action once he got behind Jae. Tentatively, he slipped his arms around his lover’s tiny waist. He felt the blonde stiffen before relaxing in his hold recognizing the owner of the arms embracing him. He waited for any sign of protest (because Jae would have swatted his hand by now on any other day), but when Jae simply continued making the finishing touches of the soup, he took it as his cue to start groveling.

“Jaejoongie, we were supposed to go the premiere after rehearsal but Changmin got really tired and fainted because he was dehydrated. He really wanted to see you though so I brought him here,” he trailed because that was pretty much all that he had wanted to tell the older man.

Well, that was eloquent. So much for groveling, Yunho. Where did that entire speech you memorized go?

Yunho cursed himself. He always had a way with words. He knows what to say, when to say it and how to say it, and then have everyone wrapped around his little pinkie. He was born with eloquence. It was one of the reasons why he was the leader of DBSK.

But sometimes, like now, words fail him. And most, if not all, of that sometimes, it concerns Jaejoong.

Why God? Why?

In the midst of his mental berating, Jaejoong turned off the stove and turned around to face his lover. He wasn’t mad anymore but hearing Yunho’s explanation, he appreciated his lover’s effort to soothe him. It showed that he still meant something to him, that he’s worth fighting for. They are worth fighting for.

Not that there ever was a doubt or a lapse in that.

He was about to tell him so but caught his lover in one of his mental self-reprimands.

He giggled at Yunho’s serious expression. God, he loved this man. He’s adorable all the freaking time.

Yunho didn’t even notice Jaejoong was facing him and scrutinizing his face. He was still too caught up being mad at himself to notice.

Well, actions do speak louder than words and I’ve always been more of an action guy, Jaejoong thought.

So he wrapped his arms around Yunho’s neck and chastely kissed his lips to get his attention. At Yunho’s bulged eyes, he knew he succeeded.

“I miss you,” Jae said, looking into Yunho’s eyes.

“I miss you too,”

“I thought tonight was supposed to be it. I swear I could feel it,”

“Me too, baby. Me too,”

Yunho hugged Jaejoong, offering him the comfort and sharing his pain all in that one embrace.

Fate was cruel to prolong their misery and for wanting to laugh a little bit longer.

They both weren’t that religious but ever since their lawsuit, Yunho’s been living on ‘God gives His toughest battles to His strongest soldiers’ and he’d like to think that they’re both strong enough.

They all are.

But if fate was cruel, then timing was a .

He sighed before reluctantly loosening his hold around Jaejoong.

“Let’s give Changmin the soup before it gets cold,” Yunho said.

Jaejoong acquiesced and began preparing a big bowl of soup for Changmin. When he put the remaining soup in another smaller bowl, Yunho looked puzzled.

Seeing Yunho’s expression, Jaejoong explained “The big one’s for Changmin because he’s a food monster whether he’s sick or not. The smaller one’s for you because you probably worried about him a lot and forgot your own stomach,”

Yunho just blushed, looking sheepish but Jae’s words made him warm all the same. A familiar warmth that he missed because it only came whenever Jae cared for him.

He took both bowls and brought them to the guest room where Changmin was blinking himself awake.

No doubt he smelt Jae’s chicken soup.

“Food~ Hyung~”

“So even when you’re sick, food still comes before your hyungs?” Yunho joked.

“Be nice, Yunho,” Jae chided, taking the bigger bowl from Yunho and began spoon feeding Changmin.

Yunho pouted but began slurping his soup. He glared at Changmin whom he swore was laughing at him getting scolded.

Jaejoong helped Changmin to sit up on the bed before spoon feeding him the soup. At the first spoonful, the maknae hummed in content like a cat that’s gotten its milk. He already felt loads better from that one spoonful.

Changmin and Yunho ate in silence while Jae was quite content watching and feeding them. He missed taking care of them and he wasn’t going to let this chance to fuss over them slip away. God knows when he could get another chance like this.

When they were both done, Yunho took the bowls to the kitchen and began doing the dishes and Jae went to grab some meds and a glass of water for Changmin.

“Hyung, can you stay with me?” Changmin asked Jae after he gulped down his meds. His bambi eyes looking all wide and shining, and his mouth was in full pouting mode. The look seems familiar somehow.

“We both will” Yunho answered for him from the guest room door. Looks like he’s finished the dishes.

Both Jae and Yunho got on either side of Changmin, neither of them worried about getting sick as comforting their maknae was a priority. With all three of them completely exhausted (and in Yunho’s and Changmin’s case, bellies full), sleep came to them in no time.

When morning came, Jae found himself in a Yunho cocoon. He snuggled closer to his lover’s warmth wanting to revel in the feel of his lover a little bit longer. He missed waking up next to Yunho. He couldn’t remember the last time they were alone because usually Yoochun, Junsu and Changmin…

“Changmin!” he suddenly shouted, bolting up when he realized the maknae was missing. He startled Yunho awake who almost toppled over the bed at Jae’s sudden outburst.

“Took you long enough to realize I wasn’t there” Changmin was standing by the door munching on a bowl of cereal. His snark was back meaning he was perfectly healthy.

“Ugh, I don’t have time for morning snark” Jae groaned, plopping back to bed and pillowed his head on Yunho’s shoulder. Yunho’s arms automatically wrap itself around Jaejoong’s waist.

“Yoochun hyung told me to tell you he covered your morning schedule but you need to come for the rest of the day” Changmin ignored him.

Jae just waved a dismissive hand clearly getting the message and Changmin trudged back to the kitchen, no doubt trying to clear Jaejoong of his stock of food.

Yunho and Jaejoong wanted to sleep more but with years of waking up before the crack of dawn, they couldn’t sleep even if they tried. So they just lay there enjoying each other’s company.

That is until Jae decided to voice what he had been dying to say ever since he saw the leader last night.

“You’ve gotten chubby” Jae teased, grinning up so his lover could see the clear amusement in his eyes. He poked Yunho’s pudgy tummy to drive his point home.

“So there will be more of me for you to love”

“Cheese”

“Yours”

“Mine”

“Always”

-----------------

AN: Wrote this a while back but I forgot about it. I found it a few days ago and decided to finish it. Sorry if the ending's a bit rushed. Comments are welcomed as always ^_^