Chapter 2

Rebound

You huffed in exhaustion as you pushed the door of your apartment closed behind you. Throwing your keys onto the side table by the door, you glanced at the time on your phone. 5:33.

You scowled in frustration, ruffling your hair. Even though you did finish all of your duties before 4 that afternoon, your coworkers wouldn’t let you leave so easily. They had bombarded you with questions about your meeting with the boss.

 

What was he like?

 

Did he smell nice?

 

Is his hair as perfect as it is on television?

 

Did you get to touch him?!

 

“Aish! Stupid coworker fangirls! Touch him?! Who do they think I am?! Freaking erts!” You spat under your breath.

You couldn’t begin to comprehend their audacity to ask you such ridiculous questions. Closing your eyes, you took a deep breath before letting it out slowly as you tamed your rising temper. “Arasso, arasso. You have about an hour. You can do this. You can do this." You reassured yourself as you racked your brain as you tried to figure out what to do to surprise your boyfriend.

 

"Ah!" An idea just popped inside your head and you almost hit yourself for being so stupid. "I'll just make him his favorite dish! Jjajangmyeon!" You giggled and applauded to yourself before rushing over to the kitchen of your apartment. 

 

"I'll just call him to remind him to come home early from dance practice..." Idly, you picked up your phone and dialed his number before pressing the device against your ear. You hummed to yourself while looking inside the refrigerator for ingredients. When it went straight to voice mail you frowned, staring at your phone in confusion. "Hmm...he must be busy rehearsing." Pouting, you slipped your phone into your jean's pocket. Looking back at the lack of food in your fridge you groaned. "Aish, seriously?! I have less than an hour and I don't even have any food to serve!" 

Unconsciously, your mind wandered to Baekhyun's earlier comment. It takes a real man to stay with one girl for a long time...

 You shook your head to clear your thoughts. Why am I even thinking about that? Of course it takes a man to be serious with a girl...What was Baekhyun trying to say? Why am I even listening to him?! Me and Oppa are in a serious relationship. I shouldn't doubt him. We love each other. Baekhyun's just complimenting him... Your ruffled your hair in frustration. Then why do I feel like something's off?!

Your phone suddenly started to ring and you jumped. Heart pounding, you looked at the caller ID. Your felt your heart drop into your stomach as you squeezed your phone. Taking a deep breath to calm your nerves and you answered. "Yoboseyo?"

"Aeri! Yah! Is everything ready? Do you need help with anything?" You winced at his loud tone and pulled the phone away from your ear.

"Yah, Kyungsoo. Stop yelling will you?! I don't want to have to get a hearing aid just to talk to you on the phone." You grumbled. 

"Ah, mian." He quickly apologized in a quieter voice before chuckling. "Seriously, though. You need help? Something tells me that you want to cook your namja something, and knowing you, there's probably nothing in your fridge right now, right?" You could hear the slight smugness in his voice. You scowled. He seemed to always know when you were running low on food which almost always resulted in him inviting himself over and taking over your kitchen with bags of "extra food" that he had at his place. 

Not to mention the fact that he was one of your best friends and he lived a floor above you.

You opened your mouth, ready to reject his offer when you glanced at the wall clock above you. 5:45.

Sighing, you inwardly cursed before running a hand through your hair with a whine. "Oppa~"

He chucked at the other end, knowing well enough that you didn't want to admit you needed his help. "I'll be there in a couple minutes, arasso?"

"Ne..." You grumbled. Before he could end the call, however, you suddenly had an idea and blurted, "Wait!"

"Bwoh?"

"I'm gonna go out and buy some cake from the bakery. You can come in using the spare key under the flower pot, okay?"

"Arasso. Be safe." You hummed in response before ending the call, grabbing your coat and keys before running out the front door.

* * * *

"Oh! Aeri! What a pleasant surprise!" Mrs. Song, a kind middle-aged woman who was the owner of Song's Bakery, greeted you warmly as you entered her bakery. You grinned at her before bowing deeply. "Annyeonghaseyo." 

"How are you? Are you here to buy a pastry?" She inquired after giving you a hug. 

"Ne. It's me and oppa's one year anniversary today and I wanted to buy him a cake to celebrate."

"Oh, that's so wonderful! Congratulations!" She gushed. You blushed and were about to thank her when she said something that made you freeze. "You're such a lucky girl. You know, there are only so many boys in this world who stay with their first loves for so long. I'm glad that--Aeri, are you okay?"

You had taken a seat, staring blankly in front of you. You couldn't shake off the itching feeling at the mention of your boyfriend's loyalties. Why do I feel so...so...suspicious?

Abruptly, you stood up, startling Mrs. Song who had been crouched down in front of you. Worry was evident in the furrowing of her eyebrows and reflected plainly in her eyes. "I'm sorry, Mrs. Song. I'm just going to go out and call Oppa and ask him what flavor cake he wants to have for later." And find out where the hell he is.

Mrs. Song nodded with pursed lips, obviously not completely believing you, but you didn't stay to explain to her your feelings at the moment. Or, more specifically, your doubts.

Once outside, you pulled out your phone from your back pocket. It was then that you realized that your hands were trembling. Ignoring them, you redialed your boyfriend's number. Pressing your phone against your ear, you looked up.

And your breath got caught in your throat.

You gripped your phone, preventing yourself from dropping it, as your hand started to shake.

Across the street, you spotted a familiar head. Dark hair flapping in the light breeze, he was wearing his favorite hoodie. The hoodie that you had bought him for his birthday a few months ago. 

You remembered the last time he wore it. It was only yesterday. He had been smiling at you, reaching over to pinch your cheeks before wrapping his arms around you in a warm hug. You remembered feeling so happy and warm and tingly on the inside. You thought about how much you loved him.

Now, as you watched him from across the street, the warm feeling was replaced with a cold, icy anger. 

His arms - those same arms that had held you less than 24 hours ago - were around another girl. Your heart dropped and you had a hard time breathing as you listened to the ringing that echoed against your ear. 

You couldn't see her. Her back was facing you. He was facing her, but was still turned away so that he couldn't see you.

You waited. You didn't know what you were waiting for. For him to answer his phone? For him to look over at you?

You watched as he paused and felt his pocket. You in a breath as he pulled out his phone and checked it. It was only a few heartbeats, but during those few breaths it felt as if time had slowed down and you could hear the blood pounding in your ears as you watched him glance at his phone and...slip it back into his pocket, ignoring you. At that moment, everything was fast forward and you heard his voice through your phone. "Annyeonghaseyo..."

Voicemail. He purposefully ignored you and sent you to voicemail.

You slowly pulled the phone away from your ear, staring at the caller ID and the words "CALL ENDED" before it disappeared. Blood still pounded in your ear, but you ignored it and let your hand fall to your side.

Then you ran. You ran with only one thought in your mind. One name. 

His voicemail still echoed in your ear, but only his name stood out to you.

"Anyeonghasyeo, this is Kim Jongin. I'm sorry I couldn't get to your message..."

 

Kim Jongin, you bastard. 


 

2 UPDATES IN A ROW! WOO!

 

Hmmm...I feel like this chapter was a lot shorter than the first one....Mianhae! OTL

 

Anyways SECOND CHAPTER IS UP! Hope y'all like it :P

 

 

How do you guys like that baekhyun gif tho ;)

 

Haha, until next time! Mwahh~

 

xoxo

Kimi