Promises

I Promise I Will

“The train will be arriving in five minutes.” I look at my phone to check the time, 10:55, right on schedule. I reach into my pocket to make sure that I have my ticket. Then I look around me to make sure that I have all of my six bags. Good. Everything’s going perfectly until I see him again.

“Wait!” He yells running towards me as if I were already getting on the train. “Yongguk, why are you leaving?” Now he's right in front of me. “Why are you leaving me?” He asks.

 

There are tears in his eyes. I know that what I’m going to say next is going to hurt him, but he deserves to know the truth. “Junhong, you knew that this was going to happen. We both knew that.” I look at him before he speaks, but I look down immediately after because I can't bare to look at you as your tears start to roll down him cheeks.

 

"You didn't even say goodbye to me. You just left without saying a wor-."

"I didn't want to make you upset." 
 
A few seconds pass before Junhong says anything. “Yongguk, I’m not upset because you’re leaving, I’m upset because you didn’t say goodbye. I knew that you were gonna leave, I just hoped that it would have been more… sincere. Just the two of us, reminiscing and eventually saying our heartfelt goodbyes. It’s just that, since I’m never gonna see you again, I thought it’d be nice if we got to say how we really feel about each other before you leave m-.”

He's cut off by the sound of the train arriving. Soon it’ll stop, and once it does, I’ll have to go. I look in his eyes, and as I do and walk up to him. “I-I’m sorry Junhong. I really thought that leaving without telling you was the only way to do it without hurting you. And… I couldn’t bare to say goodbye to you. It would have been too painful.”

We hug each other. The train just stopped and we both know that I should get on it before it’s too late. “You know I’m gonna miss you, right Yongguk?”

“I’ll miss you too Junhong.”

 

He helps get my bags to the train. “Promise you’ll call me at least once a week. Okay Yongguk?” The doors close before I can respond.

 

Luckily for me the car that I got in still has a few seats available. I take one and think about what Junhong said. I know that I have trouble with long distance relationships. But then I think about how upset he'd be if I didn't call him. I love him too much to disappoint him like that. “I will. I promise I will.” I say, to no one in particular.