Family Camping

HeartB - A Series

"Hey," Dojin says as Byulha passes by, can of soda in hand, "Can you go down to the basement and look for our tents?"

Byulha stops mid step, turning to look at his dad, eyes narrowing, "Why?"

Dojin smiles, puts down his pen, "Your dad wants us to go camping, I thought it would be fun for all of us to go."

"No," Byulha crosses his arms, can of soda gripped tightly in his hand, "No, I don't want to."

Dojin smiles turns warmer, reassuring, "It won't be too dark, love. We'll have lamps."

Byulha's cheeks flame, hot and bright red.

"Dad," his voice loses its edge, drags, "dad I don't want to."

The front door opens, Dojin looks up in time to see Jinwook carrying in groceries, cheeks a little flushed from the cool summer breeze.

"I can hear Byulha complaining from down the hall," he says in greeting, "camping will be fun, trust me."

"But dad," he whines, "I like sleeping on a normal bed, and away from insects."

"We'll bring bug repellent," Jinwook says cheerfully, "and our sleeping bags are extra padded."

Byulha slumps, drops his arms heavy at his sides, "I'm not going to like this."
-
To be honest Byulha had looked forward to doing nothing this summer. School was over and the thought of sleep had him thinking wistfully of hours doing nothing. It had almost come true.

Now he watches as Chanyoung brings over his camping things his dad ticking things off from the list he had made. He doesn't want to be difficult but camping means outdoors and no air conditioner, and danger.

He watches as Chanyoung takes out his propane burners, how his dad gets excited about being able to cook things outside of just roasting food on a stick.

Byulha sighs, changing the channel, putting up the volume.

"Cheer up," Chanyoung says, "I'll be going too!"

Byulha huffs, "What about Binnie?" he asks, eyes watching the colorful backdrops of some music video.

"Taeil will take care of her," Chanyoung smiles, "he has other dogs she can play with."

"Why can't she come with us?" Byulha finally looks away from the television.

"Because she is still too small and could get sick," Chanyoung says kindly.

"I'm small and could get sick too!" Byulha exclaims turns around to Dojin, "Do you want me to get sick dad?"

Dojin stops checking things off the list, "Byulha don't be silly, you are not going to get sick."

"But dad!" Byulha says loudly.

"Explain to me how you are too little for camping but not to get a tattoo," Dojin says, continues with his list.
-
The morning they pack everything into their car is a little cold. The morning dew seeps through his running shoes, his socks get wet and Byulha doesn't appreciate it much. He thought it was foreshadowing a bad day. 

Byulha drops off Binnie with Taeil, hesitantly. Taeil gives him a reassuring smile but he hugs Binnie one more time for good luck.

He makes his way into the back seat, eyes still sandy with sleep and slips his sneakers off, hands going into the pocket of his hoodie, holdin on to his 3DS. He falls asleep before the car engine even starts.

By the time the sun heats up the window enough to wake him up from discomfort they're only halfway to the camping site. Byulha sighs, presses his palm to the warm spot on his cheek where the window left it tingling.

Chanyoung seems too busy trying to read a map, Byulha considers pestering him but when he leans forward he can feel the way the seat belt presses his 3DS against his stomach.
He turns it on, bringing it close to his face and sees the way the battery is bordering on a little more than half.

He bites his tongue as he curses inwardly, knows that if his dads hear him he'll get a scolding and he doesn't want to hear it. He was actually at fault this time, and he knew it.

"Why did you turn it off," Chanyoung asks as he pulls away from the map.

"It's not charged all the way and I want to play it for more than a day," Byulha grumbles, "I'm gonna die of boredom."

"Camping is lots of fun," Chanyoung says, "you can go fishing or just take a swim. You can make a fire, Kids like doing that right?"

Byulha glares at him, "That all sounds boring and difficult."

"Byulha," Jinwook says from the front passenger seat, "Don't be rude."

"Whatever, dad," Byulha rolls his eyes. He looks at his 3DS again before closing his eyes again. 
-
Somehow his bad mood doesn't stay when they get to the camping site; he gets a glimpse of faraway mountains, the tall trees, it's so pretty causing Byulha to stand for a moment and just stare.

"I think we can set up camp here," Jinwook says as he puts down some of their things, "Byulha set up your tent while your dad and I go bring the rest of the things."

Byulha walks to the pile of things, pushes things off before he gets to the folded tents. He looks at them both, makes a face at the smallest before he decides that he wants to have the bigger one for himself; he smiles.

He's dumping everything from the bag when Chanyoung shows up, carrying more things, smiling as cheerful as ever.

"Need help?" Chanyeong asks, "I've pitched many a tents in my day."

"Nah," Byulha shakes his head, spots the instructions and starts reading.

He sticks the stakes into the dirt and assembles all the rods before his dads come back. They're talking about all the things they need to set up and Byulha pays them no mind, determined to pitch his tent all by himself. He threads the rods through the tent carefully, criss crosses them and makes sure to put them into the stakes, watches the way the tent takes shape.

He feels a surge of pride in him, ducking down to see inside, smiling at all the space. Jinwook and Dojin look at the tent and smile with pride as well.

He starts tossing his things inside, watches the way the tent jerks when some things hit the walls.
His things are mostly snacks and junk food his dads told him not to bring but Byulha has to be prepared.

-

Jinwook is grilling up some meat when Byulha comes up to see when it'll be ready.

"What happened to your DS?" Jinwook looks up and asks.

Byulha is hesitant, "It died."

"It hasn't even been an hour since we got here," Jinwook scolds. Byulha frowns; he already knows it's his fault.

"Here, help me grill while I start to cook the rice," Jinwook says moving over so that Byulha can take over.

"Don't eat the meat yet," Jinwook eyes an almost drooling Byulha.

"No promises," Byulha replies. Jinwook is left with no choice; he can't leave Dojin alone to make the rice.

-

"I'm sooo full," Byulha complains as he look up into the night sky.

They had eaten so much that night, but Jinwook had more planned. "Are you sure?" he says pulling out marshmallows followed by chocolate bars.

"S'mores!" Byulha screams, "I always have room for that."

"What as that about camping being boring?" Dojin mocks Byulha.

"Nevermind about that," he replies, "But Dad, where's the graham crackers?"

Jinwooks eyes widen, "Umm, guess I forgot them at home?"

"On the kitchen counter," Dojin scolds but pulls out the box of graham crackers from his backpack.

Jinwook extends his arm to grab the box but Dojin pulls away, pointing to his cheek. Jinwook leans in to kiss Dojin on his cheek and quickly on the lips. Dojin blushes but hands over the box.

"Gross," Byulha whines but happily grabs the box from Jinwook. "This I can help with."
-
As the night got darker and colder, the stars above them sparkled brighter. They enjoyed their time in silence at first but Chanyoung surprisingly began to sing. Jinwook and Dojin joined in, still hugging, causing Chanyoung to smile. They looked at Byulha expectingly and he willingly followed suit.

They sang for about 15 minutes till Chanyoung coughed, "I think we should sleep soon."

They all went into their tents, Jinwook and Dojin glaring when Byulha went into the bigger tent. They said their good nights and went inside their tents.

Unlike outside, inside Jinwook's and Dojin's tent was a warm, lovely aura. They were spooning, slowly starting to drift off into sleep. Chanyoung who had walked around all day with Byulha fell asleep first in his own tent; Byulha followed suit. Jinwook and Dojin fell asleep last as Dojin was kept awake and blushing by Jinwook's neck kisses that eventually faded out with their breaths. 

-

"Chanyoung," Byulha whispers into Chanyoung's tent, head sticking in just slightly. Chanyoung shakes in terror. 

"Byulha," Chanyoung slowly says as he sits up, "Why are you up? It's still dark."

"I need to pee," Byulha replies.

"You don't need to ask permission. Just go," Chanyoung says as he lays back done.

"Come with me please, Chanyoung," Byulha pleads.  Chanyoung groans but get up and follows Byulha, who at first held his hand but then slowly relaxed. 

"You owe me," Chanyoung says as they both walk back to the tents. 

"I'll get Dad to cook you more meals," Byulha says as he gets into his tent. He looks out at Chanyoung whose eyes are drooping again; he only nods.

-

"Byulha, get up," Dojin says shaking Byulha up, "I've been trying to wake you up for ten minutes."

"Ahhh," Byulha says as Dojin continues to shake Byulha who is finally awake, "I'm up. I'm up!"

"Let's go eat our breakfast before we get ready to leave," Dojin says.

"Already leaving?" Byulha asks slightly dissapointed. 

"We can always come back," Dojin reassures him.

They walk towards Jinwook who is cooking with the help of Chanyoung. Chanyoung has slight bags under his eyes; Byulha pretends to look away from them.

As they eat Byulha slips over some of his food onto Chanyoung's plate. Dojin and Jinwook notice and glace at each other but stay quiet. They finish their breakfast in peace and they all help pack things up and clean up. 

Byulha sat up in the front seat and Chanyoung drove after much debate. Byulha connected his phone and played his own music to Jinwook's and Dojin's dismay. Luckily for them, Byulha fell asleep again and Dojin played his own music like before. 

By the time they get back home, Byulha, Jinwook, and Dojin are all asleep, leaving Chanyoung alone with his thoughts but he doesn't mind; they are home.