Family Pet

HeartB - A Series

It had been a while since Chanyoung had left his home alone. He always walked with Byulha or the rest of his family, but today Chanyoung needed to go to the store while Byulha was in school. He was too shy to ask Jinwook or Dojin to come along, so he went alone. 

 

Because the store was not far and Chanyoung wasn't buying a lot he decided to walk there. Shopping was a smooth ride, in fact Chanyoung was quite happy to have a little time to himself. It was on his way back home that was different. 

 

Some of the bags he carried would slightly hit his legs, but it was when he was only a block away from his home that he felt something else hit him. 

 

He looked down and saw that a stray puppy was right at his feet. He took a step forward and saw that the the dog followed. 

 

At first, Chanyoung did nothing about it. He continued to walk but just as he was steps away from his home he realized that the stray dog was now completely attached to him. If he didn't do anything it might even want to follow him inside. 

 

Chanyoung set the bags besides him and bent down to get a closer look at the dog. 

 

It was a puppy golden retriever. It looked up at Chanyoung causing him to smile.

 

Chanyoung pet it's head for a second and then lifted his bags and stood up again. He began to walk again but this time turned around and saw that the puppy was not trailing him; instead, the dog was now in front of him almost as if it already knew where Chanyoung lived.

 

Chanyoung simply walked back home. As he was opening his door he heard Byulha scream.

 

"Chanyoung!! I can't believe you went shopping without me!" Byulha yells out as he runs to Chanyoung's door still with his backpack and uniform on.

 

Chanyoung waves and enters his home and sets his bags at the coffee table, unknowingly letting the stray dog in.

 

Byulha walks in, closes the door and says, "Did you buy him?" Byulha points to the dog who has now made himself comfortable on Chanyoung's couch.

 

"No wait," Byulha says as he sits down next to the dog, "It's too dirty to have been bought, right?"

 

"It's a stray. It followed me home, but I didn't realize it came in," Chanyoung says as he moves the bags into the kitchen.

 

"Keep him!" Byulha says. 

 

"I don't know," Chanyoung says coming back into the living room. 

 

"Why not?" Byulha asks, "It can be our family pet. I'll take it for walks and everything."

 

"Let's talk about it with your dads okay?" Chanyoung says. 

 

-

 

“Dad,” Byulha turns away from the dog, eyes growing wide, “Dad can we keep him?” 

 

Dojin tries to look away, knowing that if he looks long enough he’ll cave.  “No,” he says, hoping it sounds decisive, “absolutely not.”

 

 He makes the mistake of looking at Chanyoung, who seems to be pushing out a pout; one that was planned after Byulha convinced Chanyoung.  “But dad,” Byulha turns to Jinwook, “remember when you said I had to learn how to care about others but myself?”

 

 Jinwook crosses his arms, “This is not what I meant.”

 

 Byulha squats down, hands carefully patting the top of the dog’s head, “He is so cute. Please? I’ll never ask for anything again.” Jinwook turns to look at Dojin.  

 

“It can sleep in Chanyeong’s apartment. And I can use my allowance to help feed him. Please please please. I want him so bad,” Byulha drags out the last word, turning uncomfortably to set sad eyes at Dojin then at Jinwook.  

 

“Byulha, you barely remember to take a shower, how are you going to take care of another living thing?” 

 

“With love and dedication,” Byulha says without out missing a beat, “Like you and dad did with me.”

 

 Darn it. Dojin has never been good at saying no to Byulha, Jinwook has never even tried. They sigh. Chanyeong already smiling, trying to think of a good time to take both Byulha and their new dog shopping. And Byulha? Already coming up with names for the puppy.