Chicken Suit

Oh My God!

*Click* flash *click* flash.
          Picture after picture I snapped, just a waste of memory space if you asked me. There was no story here. I sat in the sweltering heat of this chicken costume, the bright lights from the stage heating it up to a boiling point that was making me perspire like the Niagara falls.  Every time I took a breath through my nose I was hit with the stale stench of sweat and body odor, every time I gasped through my lips I tasted the salty taste of sweat permeating the air around me. All for the cause I told myself, unfortunately there wasn’t anything to keep it up for. I’d been miss lead yet again about a story.
    “Aish!” I hissed trying to rub away the sweat on my shoulder but it just returned seconds later with a vengeance. “Can someone get me out of this thing!” I yelled stomping my chicken foot. The large body of the chicken bounced from the movement and I stumbled forward unable to keep balance with the weird weight of the chicken suit constantly shifting.
    “Omo, wait just one second.” A man with a backwards baseball cap and flannel lumberjack shirt called setting his clipboard down and hurrying over to me. “Lift your arms.” He said as he grabbed the chicken suit and heaved it upwards. I backed quickly out leaving the suit behind and embracing the cool fresh air of the open world.
    “Oh my god….does no one wash that thing?” I gasped taking large breaths of clean air.
    “Mian, we only have the funds to wash it once every five uses…unfortunately you sweat so much in it, it really should be washed every time.” he said meekly.
    “no, that thing should be burnt completely.” I grumbled kicking it. I glanced down reflexively at the clipboard laying beside me and I saw that it was the schedule for the studio. Later this week was an interview with Jung joon young and his band. Smirking I snapped a quick picture of it while the worker wasn’t watching. Jung joon young was always a good source of scandal news. If I couldn’t find anything else he’d have to be the main story in the next issue again.  “hey…” I asked looking away from the clipboard. “Where is the reporter today?” I asked looking around. The school news was known for it’s great insight into our college, the paper was the gritty side of the school , I brought to light whatever juicy thing I could sink my teeth into no matter what I got, but the news, well it was ran by reporter Ae sook, she was a fourth year about to graduate, me and her had been going head to head in the news’s business since freshman year. She liked to give the bright side, sunshine’s and butterflies, of course why wouldn’t she, her life was sunshine and butterflies.  
    “Mmm, she’s over there.” the man said pointing down the hall. Grinning I gave him a small bow and headed straight for her.
    “Ae sook darling!” I called out snapping an unsuspecting picture of her as she turned to face me. A glower quickly came my way.
    “Minji…I see you came to get a scoop on my news department…that’s just sad.” she said tsking as she crossed her arms over her chest.
    “Mmm, I heard there was some big pull going on behind the scenes, something to deal with that legendary party.” I said cocking a brow hinting for some kind of information. I watched her look around uncomfortably a moment before she schooled her features.
    “You’ve been trying to get to that party for three years now…maybe you aren’t as good a reporter as you think you are.” she said smug like just because she gets an invite. It’s only because she’s popular, and whoever throws this knows she won’t let it all out.  
    “If I’m not any good…then what does that make you?” I asked cocking a brow. She knew she had nothing on my skills, her stories where always some cookie cutter fluff pieces.  Angrily she huffed and turned to leave.
    “You smell like a hog pen…” She mumbled before walking off. Chuckling I shook my head watching her go. She was so petty. Curious, I raised my shirt collar to my nose and took a sniff.
    “Ah…oh that’s horrid.” I gasped. I did smell like a hog pen. “Shower.” I grabbed my bag from where I stashed it when I came in and headed out the door. I was still wearing the chicken feet and leggings that went with the costume, I must have looked like a lunatic.
    “Minji!” hearing my name I stopped my walk and looked around for where it came. Running over to me was one of the paper staff I worked with. He had a paper waving flapping his hand as he waved it at me. “I’ve got a lead!”
    “jaehwa…is this like the lead you gave me about the news studio.” I said disapproving.
    “No! I promise, I’ve got the name of someone who has a guaranteed invite every year, even before he went to this school.” Oh…well that seemed like a decent lead.
    “Who is it?” he grinned holding out the piece of paper.
    “You’re kidding me right? This helps me none.” I said exasperated. Jung Joon Young…he was the invite that was a great lead?
    “But…wae? You guys are friends right? He can get us into the party.” I laughed shoving the paper back into his chest.
    “We aren’t friends, he’s a steady stream of scandal’s.”
    “Wow…I’m a little insulted.” Familiarity washed over me as I the deep base of joon young’s voice spoke.
    “Joon Young hyung…she didn’t mean it.” Jaehwa said nervously. I turned looking up at him with a smirk.
    “I did mean it, where’s today’s girl? I had a little trouble getting me a story I need a new scandal.”
    “Sorry to disappoint, got a show tonight.” sighing I shook my head in defeat. Joon young didn’t have girl’s until after his shows. He was serious about his music at least. “You can cover my show though.” he said winking.
    “No thanks…not my type of story, I’m sure ae sook will be there to cover every bit of it. Now if you decide to get special with ae sook…please let me know, that’s a story I’ll cover to the fullest.”  Joon young screwed up his face in distaste.
    “No thanks, I don’t “DO” reporters.” he said a smug look on his face.
    “You “DO” anything that walks.” I retorted. This made him laugh, his deep bass line voice rolling like thunder.  
    “One of these day’s I’m going to make you do an article on me that isn’t a scandal, you’ll praise me instead of shoot me down.” he said determined. I rolled my eyes.
    “I tell you what, you get me into that party of the year for a story then I’ll make my last paper on the news paper a screamingly doting expose on yours truly.” I said laughing.
    “Deal.” I gawked at joon young like he was a two headed dragon. “I’ll get you an invite to that party, but in return I want the most brilliant publicity filled expose on me and my band that a college newspaper can handle.” I stared at him briefly before jumping on the chance. I didn’t believe him in the least, but what could I lose, if he came through then I’d have two great stories to end the year with, even if one I had to grin a bear it while writing something other than my norm.  
    “Call.” I said holding out my hand to shake on it. He raised his hand like he was going to shake my hand but took it back last second moving it to his mouth placing a cigarette between his lips. “Disgusting.” I said scrunching up my face at the cigarette stench. The smoke wafted in my face and I waved my hand frantically trying to clear the cloud.
    “Hey, this smell’s like freaking roses compared to the stench coming off you right now. I just wasn’t going to say anything, what did you roll in a trough or something little piggy?” he asked blowing another cloud of smoke in my direction.
    “It’s a chicken costume pabo.” What a lame retort. Being reminded of how disgusting I smelt embarrassed me enough that I couldn’t think of one of my usual snappy come backs. I really did stink. “I’m leaving, get me an invite by the end of the week or the deal’s off.” I said turning and leaving. I couldn’t believe I was resorting to the likes of joon young for an invite, but a reporter who was serious would do anything for the news.