LOG 11

The Classified Accounts of Ami Hwang

A/N: I have updated a CRAP ton in the last few days so like... go back to Log 6 I think that's where it all started!!


 

Fei is staring at me, her hands trembling.

 

    “No way,” she whispers. “No. This can’t be true. This isn’t- Yohan can't- Project Cotton- what-,”

 

    “It’s all true, Fei,” I utter. “I’m really, really sorry. I don’t want to drag you into this. But we need you.”

 

    Her head whips around to face Kris. “Kris, this isn’t true, right?” she murmurs. “You’re not a... you wouldn’t do those things.”

 

    Kris is totally silent. He still has not looked at Fei this entire time.

 

    “I mean, you’re just Kris,” she says, her voice getting higher and higher. “You’re just the frat boy from Princeton who always used to pick fights with me in Advanced Calc. You- you’re an insufferable jackass but you’re my...,” Fei swallows.

 

    “You’re my friend,” she finishes in a small voice.

 

    A pang of pity hits my chest. This conversation reminds me of the one I had with Jungkook in his car, after he told me that he was a killer.

 

You're just some dumb, annoying kid who plays basketball and parties all the time! Your comebacks and you're conceited but you're...

 

A good person.

 

My throat wells up.

 

Kris finally turns. His eyes are devoid of all emotion as he gazes at Fei.

 

“You don’t know me,” he utters monotonously. “There are more important things to discuss right now. Focus on those.”

 

Fei jerks back as if she has been slapped in the face.

 

“Kris, stop it,” I hiss. “I’m sorry, Fei. He’s being... anyway. If you choose to accept this job, I’m sure you’ll be compensated well.”

 

“5 million,” my mother states. Fei’s jaw drops.

 

“5 mil- wait, really?” Fei gasps. “Just for accessing a few client files through Sentrix?”

 

“Correct,” Mrs. Nguyen said. “And full confidentiality, of course.”

 

“Of course,” Fei says dazedly. “5 million dollars...,”

 

“If you agree, you’ll be working with Marge and Baekhyun here. They’re the most talented hackers here.”

 

“Not talented enough to crack through Sentrix’s defenses, though,” Marge grins. “You’re very talented.”

 

“Thanks,” Fei says softly, a slight smile curving her lips. “Someone used to always say that IT was useless...,” She trails off, staring down at her lap.

 

I wince. “Um, anyway. Are you in, Fei?”

 

She stares at me across the table. I press my lips together, silently urging her to say-

 

“Yes,” Fei says. “I’m in.”

 

The sound of a chair slamming back echoes through the room. Kris pushes past us and storms out of the room.

 

“Kris,” Mrs. Nguyen calls after him. Before he leaves, he gives my mother a piercing glare.

 

“I hope you’re happy,” he growls, and slams the door shut.

 

We are left with a deafening silence.

 

“Sorry about that,” I cough, attempting to break the tension. The crestfallen look on Fei’s face is breaking my heart. “He’s just... um, Mom, isn’t it time for lunch?”

 

My mother’s eyes slightly widen. And then I realize what I’ve just said.

 

Mom.

 

I’ve never called her that in my life.

 

    The look of surprise disappears from her eyes, and I contort my face into the usual expression of revulsion and disgust when I look at her again.

 

    “Yes, it is,” she says, standing up. “Let’s go down to the dining hall, and then I’ll show you to your room.”

 

    We all shuffle out of the room. I purposely wait until everyone walks past me- and then catch my mother by her wrist.

 

    “I know what you’re hiding from me,” I snarl. “A week from now, you’re going to send me straight to hell. Just know that I can and will back out at any moment I want to.”

 

    My mother smirks. “I see. Good luck, Aemin.”

 

    And she pulls away.

 


 

“I just don’t get it,” Fei says, picking at her ravioli. She is looking over at Kris, who is engaged in a quiet, heated conversation with Baekhyun. “He’s completely different. He... I just.. he’s so... distant.”

 

“It’s... okay.” I twist my lips to the side. “Everyone else here is pretty nice, though. I should really introduce you to Joshua and-,”

 

“Fei!”

 

We turn around. Kyungsoo is staring at us, absolutely astonished. Fei shoots up.

 

“Kyungsoo!” she exclaims, striding over to him. “What are you- oh my god. Please don’t tell me that you’re a part of this, too.”

 

He winces. “Guilty as charged.”

 

“Are you serious?”

 

“I swear I didn’t know anything about you. And I’m really, really sorry for not telling you the truth up front, but, well, this isn’t really something you can talk about.” Kyungsoo then does something I have never seen him do- pout. “I’m sorry. Really, really sorry.”

 

Fei crosses her arms and glares at him.

 

“Seriously? Even the guy I meet on eHarmony is part of the freaking triad,” she huffs.

 

“Oh my god!” I yelp. “Fei, you’re Kyungsoo’s girlfriend?! Oh my-,”

 

Was Kyungsoo’s girlfriend.” Fei quirks an eyebrow. “Sorry, Soo, but we’re breaking up.”

 

He grimaces. “That’s... understandable.”

 

“We’re not actually part of the triad,” Lina pipes up. “We’re a totally different entity. Just FYI.”

 

“This is so weird,” I whisper. “So Fei was dating Kyungsoo, who used to be in the same gang as Kris, who is friends with Fei.”

 

“Oh my god,” Lina titters. “Look at Kris.”

 

I stifle a snigger between my hand. If looks could kill, Kyungsoo would be dead on the floor right now. I never thought that a person could be capable of looking so incensed.

 

“This is suuuper weird,” Lina exhales. “Um... what exactly do we do?”

 

“Get Kris away before he murders Kyungsoo,” I snort. Lina and I sneak past Kyungsoo and Fei- who are deeply immersed in their conversation- and head over to Kris. I nod at Baekhyun, and then place a hand on Kris’ arm.

 

    Okay, Kris. We’re just going to go now,” I say, dragging him towards the door. “Lina, help, please?”

 

    “I’m on it.” Lina starts pushing Kris from the back.

 

    “What are you doing?” Kris mutters as we lead him out of the dining hall. “Hey! I’m trying to-,”

 

    “You need to cool it,” I snap. “Dude, I swear you were 5 seconds away from pouncing on Kyungsoo. And, by the way, what were you talking to Baekhyun about anyway?”

 

    “Don’t call me dude! I’m your boss! And what Baekhyun and I were talking about is none of your business.”

 

    Was my boss. Now you’re a regular schmuck, just like me.”

 

    He yanks his arm away from me and pushes Lina away. “You two need to stop overreacting.”

 

    We need to stop overreacting?” Lina rolls her eyes. “I think overreacting is when you’re a little to the girl you like just because she’s decided to help a cause you don’t like.”

 

    I snap my fingers. “I got it. Where’s Preet? He has a girlfriend. He could help you-,”

 

    “Okay, slow down.” Kris says. “Girl you like? Who are you talking about?”

 

    Lina and I look at each other in exasperation.

 

    Oh my god. Boys are so stupid.

 

    “You know what? This isn’t our problem.” I exhale. “All we’re saying is that you need to be more professional around Fei. And Kyungsoo. And Baekhyun. And the rest of EXO. And everyone else. Now let’s go, Lina. I have to go find Joshua and tell him everything.

 

    She smiles. “I’ll catch up with you later. I kind of want to go back to the cafeteria and watch all the drama unfold. Don’t worry, I’ll take care of Fei.”

 

“Awesome.”

 

“Oh, by the way- come to my room tonight at 7. I invited Preet and Anna too. Don’t eat dinner before, kay? We’re having Pizza Night.”

 

    I beam. “Awesome.”

 

    As I am walking back down the hallway (hopefully, Joshua should still be in the training arena), someone’s shoulder slams into mine.

 

    “Oh, I’m so sorry, Ami,” Mrs. Nguyen says, looking up from the papers in her hands. “Are you okay?”

 

    “I’m fine, don’t worry.”

 

    “Have you eaten lunch yet?”

 

    “Yeah, I just came back from the cafeteria with Lina.”

 

    “What did she eat? Noodles again? I’ve told her she should eat more vegetables. At her last doctor’s appointment- oh, sorry.” She reddens slightly. “Too much information.”

 

    “It’s alright,” I laugh. “Well, I’m just going to go down to the training room. I’ll see you later.”

 

    “Wait, Ami,” Mrs. Nguyen calls.

 

I pause. “Yes?”

 

She looks hesitant as she says, “I just... if you have the time, could you give this to your mother?” She hands me a sheaf of paper. My stomach sinks.

 

“I don’t know where she is,” I tell her apologetically. “Sorry-,”

 

“She’s in her room on the 8th floor,” Mrs. Nguyen blurts out. “Farthest door on the left. Thanks, Ami.”

 

And she hurries away, leaving me standing alone with a stack of papers in my hand.

 

Goddammit, Mrs. Nguyen.

 

I reluctantly swivel around to the elevator.

I’ll get this over with as quickly as possible, then.


A/N: these past few days have literaly been a blur of writing and chapter s and all i feel really dazed lmfao schol starts next monday

school