The Town of Yamada

Where Do I Stand?

2010

 

 

 

"Okay, what is so fascinating about this then?" he asked. "Why stay near the sea or the seaside most of the time?" Yamada, Iwate is known for its commercial fishing. And for Junsu, it boggles him why Jen is so fascinated with it.

Her time in Japan is almost up and in a week she'll be leaving again.

He asked her if she want to see some of the tourist spots in Japan, as well as the places he'd been to.

She answered him no, that she hasn't and has no intention of going to.

He countered that she'll be wasting her time if she only goes to places that doesn't have much scenery.

She told him he could leave anytime he wants, since no one forced him to come to Japan in the first place.

Even though she treats him with hostility, as well as keeping him at arm's length. Junsu managed to have a good conversation with her.

But the way she talks sometimes, disturbs him.

Her morbid outlook in life annoys him so much that he sometimes answers her back with sarcasm.

She's far too serious and she couldn't take a joke sometimes. And she always has that sullen look plastered on her face.

Despite her shortcomings and irrational behavior, his feelings hasn't change.

It's as if his feelings for her has deepen.

 

 

 

She never took photographs of herself.

And even if she did, it's once in a blue moon.

But being a companion of Junsu, she always ended up having a fit whenever he asks her to have a picture with him.

She just simply detested it.

Whenever he sees something or does something, he just needed to capture it with his camera. It irks her more that ever.

"Do you really need to photography everything?" she asked one day.

He was busy with his phone again.

She noticed that ever since they saw each other two days ago, he's been constantly checking his phone.

She cannot help but wonder.

When he was done with his phone, he looked up to her and smiled.

"Yes, because I like to look at them ten years from now," he replied.

She rolled her eyes.

"I saw that," he said.

"Huh?"

"You just rolled your eyes."

She shook her head and stood up from the bench.

"Where are you going?" Junsu called, following her.

"Away from you," she replied, walking faster.

She suddenly halted, turning around to face him.

"Don't you have anything to do?" she asked. "Don't you have a 'schedule' to fulfill?"

He looked away from her for a second then he dropped his head down.

"Well?"

"I... ah... It's complicated."

"Meaning?"

"It's a long story. Don't you read Korean websites? There's a lot in the internet that are in English."

"I have no time for that," she replied. "I don't bother with things that doesn't concern me."

He frowned.

"I just don't care," she answered flatly.

Junsu shook his head.

"Disappointed?"

He didn't reply, he sat there on the bench staring at her.

She's been spending time near the docks constantly. Her skin is not that pale anymore, she's a bit tanned from spending the whole day near the sea. Her hair looks awful, as she told him she rarely bothered brushing it. And she seems to gain a bit of weight as her cheeks were a bit chubby.

"Did you put sunscreen?" he asked, standing up and walking towards her.

"No."

"Aish, come here," he said. Pulling her towards the bench.

Surprisingly, she didn't protest. They both sat down as Junsu opened his bag and pulled out the sunscreen. He squeezed a pint on his left hand, then closed the bottle. He reached out and pulled her arm.

"Argh... Do I have to?" she asked.

"Yes or you'll end up getting sunburned from what you are doing."

"I"m fine," she answered.

He didn't reply as he applied it on her skin, then he proceeded on her other arm. He also applied sunscreen to her face, she was about to protest but he shushed her. He softly applied it on her face then to her neck.

"Turn around," he said.

She pursed her lips in defiance but she didn't say anything.

He applied more sunscreen on her nap. After he was done, he used the excess on his arms.

"You're good to go," he said, closing his bag. "Oh, yeah. I forgot about this."

He pulled out a cap and sunglasses, giving it to her.

She rolled her eyes as he chuckled at her reaction.

The sunglasses were a bit big on her face, but the cap was fine. He just readjusted it on her head.

"The sunglasses is slipping on my big nose!" she declared, laughing.

Junsu laughed as well. "It looks fine. Just hurry up what you are doing anyway, I'm getting bored."

"Do you smell that?" she asked. "That salty smell in the air."

"Yes, I do," he replied.

"That salty thing that you smell in the air comes from seaweeds."

He nodded. To be frank though, he doesn't know that.

They spent the rest of the day looking at the sky and the sea until the sunsets and they walked back to their hotels.

 

 

 

It suddenly rained hard the next day.

Junsu stayed in his hotel room, staring at his laptop. He was reading an e-mail from his manager. Everyone is asking where he went. His parents kept calling him and leaving him messages.

He didn't tell them where he went, he just replied a generic answer to keep everything drama free. His brother called him that morning, telling him everything back in Korea is in chaos.

He was dreading this day will come ever since they filled that lawsuit against the company that made them who they are.

And for two days, he completely forgot about his problems. All it takes was to see Jen's face.

He shuts down his laptop and grabbed his phone.

He saw a message and a smile was evident on his lips.

He immediately took out his umbrella and changed his clothes, pocketing his hotel key he immediately went out.

As he walked towards the dock again, he saw a familiar figure sitting in the sand.

"Are you trying to get sick?" he asked, angling the umbrella on top of her head.

She waved her hand, indicating to take it off of her.

"I wanna feel the rain," she said.

"You'll get sick."

"No, I will not," Jen replied.

Junsu just sighed, closing the umbrella. He was immediately drenched from the rain.

"So why are we here again?" he asked.

She turned her head and smiled at him.

"Persuade me."

 

 

 

 

 

It seems everything is okay at the moment, I haven't tried updating my other stories though. I did everything with this update, trying to see if the format will change or the title wiped out. So far it's fine.

Anyways, I do hope you enjoy the short update.

Thanks for reading my story!!! :)

Lots of love and kisses,

PurpleSky