Eyes for Her

Where Do I Stand?

2010

 

 

 

After spending sometime in the island.

Jen started getting some tan.

Not that it bothered her though, thankfully she isn't getting any sunburn.

She managed to look all over the place in a short amount of time.

One day, when she was about to leave the hotel to buy some souvenirs, the front desk told her about the festivities that will happen that night in the hotel.

There will be a small concert in the hotel's banquet.

He told her that she can attend it, wearing a semi-formal attire.

He took out an invitation and wrote down her name and placed a signature then gave it to her.

Jen thanked him and left.

 

 

That night, around six in the evening, Jen went through her luggage to look for a formal dress.

Thankfully, to her mother's behest, she bought two formal dress.

She placed both dress on the bed and took out her high-heeled shoes and went inside the bathroom to take a bath.

After blow-drying her hair and putting on some make-up

She tried both dresses.

In the end, she decided to wear a one-shoulder chiffon red dress.

Her hair was loose with curls near the end.

She didn't have any jewellery to compliment the look.

Not that it mattered, what's important is who will the singers on the stage tonight.

She placed the invitation, her cardkey and her phone inside a small clutch and exited her room.

She walked down the hall towards the elevator and settled herself on the left corner.

The elevator was a bit full, since a lot of people were to attend the small concert in the banquet hall.

Once they were on the ground floor, she released a breath she was holding while inside the elevator.

She hates crowded place, it gives her anxiety and a bad habit of holding her breath.

She breathed in and out for a few seconds and proceeded towards the hall.

The place is a little packed, a few media stations were also there, much to her surprise.

It was to cover the small function that was going to happen.

Jen went to seat at her designated table, she set herself comfortable on her sit.

Appetizers where served first, as two MCs appeared at the stage and started talking.

She smiled at couple beside her, Mr. and Mrs. Hwang, who started a conversation with her.

In the middle of the conversation, Mrs. Hwang suddenly stopped talking and started clapping her hand like crazy.

"Mianhe, Jen-shi," she giggled sheepishly. "But I'm a huge fan of Kim Junsu."

"Kim Junsu?" Jen replied, perplexed.

"Neh," she replied. "That's the reason why me and my husband came here in Jeju."

Jen nodded.

She heard the MC introducing him. "XIAH Junsu-shi is here!" he said happily.

When she looked back at the stage, she saw him again.

She was mesmerized by his stage presence, he really brings the game in his performance.

He wore an all black ensemble.

Jen guessed that he's gonna dance that song, but she isn't keeping her hopes up.

He sang his song Beautiful Thing, then it was followed by his Japanese material.

Her eyes were glued onto him, but somehow she started to feel bored.

She casually leaned on her sit, as the waiter served them the main course.

His finale was that song.

It was great, she'll give him that.

But her enthusiasm is gone now.

Thank God for the food. she thought.

 

 

The moment he stepped into the stage.

A woman in red caught his eyes.

He thought he was seeing things, but he isn't.

It is her.

The girl he met a few days ago.

Well, her dress is eye catching.

Not that she was breathtakingly beautiful.

But she's pretty, he'll give her that.

He has no time to think about her after that because he started his performance.

When his performance ended, his eyes went back to her.

She isn't paying attention to him anymore.

He also noticed in the middle of his singing she started looking somewhere.

She's probably bored... he thought, sadly.

They didn't left immediately.

Tomorrow is his off day, his manager decided to stay and mingle with the guests.

When he and his companions were led towards their table, he realized it was adjacent from her table.

He immediately sat on the opposite side of the table where he can have a full view of her.

While he was eating and talking to the manager of the hotel, he kept a close eye on her.

He thought this is being borderline stalkerish, but he's a man. And he's smitten by her lack of enthusiasm for some weird reason.

His eyes were just on her.

Her gesture, her motion attracts him.

She seems introverted, casually talking to the person besides her.

Smiling at the waiter as he served her the food or the drink.

After a while, she suddenly stood up and went outside to the pool area.

Junsu immediately excused himself and followed her outside.

 

 

Jen breathed in and out for a few seconds.

The banquet is starting to get into her head and its giving her headaches.

Pinching the bridge of nose, she walked slowly towards one of the pool chair and sat down on it.

She took out her phone and checked the time, 8:46pm.

Still early, but she felt exhausted.

She slouched a bit, caressing her arms and nape.

Suddenly, she felt like someone is watching her, as the hair on the back of her neck and arms rose.

She slowly turned her head to the side and was surprised to see him.

Her back immediately straightened as she stood up and faced him.

"Yes?" she asked, cocking an eyebrow.

His head cocked slightly on the side as he looked back at her.

"Have we met?" he asked casually.

Jen has an urge to roll her eyes.

"Probably," she replied.

A smil crept on his lips.

"Yes, we have," he said. "Under that palm tree."

"Then I supposed we met then," she replied, crossing her arms.

"Did you enjoy the performance?"

"Yeah, it's okay."

"Okay?"

"Yes, it was okay," she emphasised the last word.

He suddenly burst out laughing.

Her eyebrow rose again.

He's like a man inside a child's body.

"Is there something funny?"

"You're probably bored," he said.

This time, Jen noticed the huskiness of his voice.

"Yes I am. Is there a problem with that?"

"No, but its rude to be that way. After all everyone seems to be enjoying while you look..." He tilted his head as he checked her out. "Bored."

"I just said that."

"I know."

"What is it that you need?" The annoyance is starting to become evident from her voice.

"Nothing. I just wanted to talk to you," he replied. "I think you look beautiful in that dress and it's a beautiful night, so why not enjoy it?"

"There is nothing beautiful about the night nor is my dress," she replied. "Now if you don't mind I'll leave you alone here in this beautiful night."

Jen started walking away when a gripped from her wrist stopped her on her tracks and pulled her back.

She came face to face with him, his hand gripping her wrist while the other rest on her waist.

"What the hell do you think you are doing?"

He didn't answer her.

"Let go of me," she ordered.

Junsu released her from his grasped.

When she managed to distance herself from him, she looked back at him.

Her eyes were intensely looking at him.

"I just wanted to look closely at you," he said, putting his hands on his pockets. "You're very pretty up-close."

She rolled her eyes as she sharply turned her back at him.

"Miss Jen Joves."

She halted on her tracks and turned to look at him.

He was holding her invitation in his hand.

Jen immediately walked towards him, trying to snatch the invitation.

But his hand were fast and he immediately took it away from her reach.

She immediately stepped away from him when her attempts were futile.

"Can I have that back, please?"

He smiled at her.

"On one condition," he said.

"Forget it." She started walking away.

Junsu immediately ran after her.

He grabbed her wrist again as he tried to pull her from his direction.

"What now?!" she retorted. "Stop touching me will you?"

He put his hands up. "Fine, I will. Just have dinner with me tomorrow night."

"Why should I say yes?" she asked.

"Because I'm XIAH Kim Junsu."

"You can shoved that into your throat then," she said.

"Okay..." he trailed off. "So will you?"

"No, you pompous prick. And who the bloody hell do you think you are?"

"XIAH Junsu," he replied.

She huffed, shaking her head.

"My god are you a freaking child? Did your mom drop you head first when you were a child?"

He actually chuckled at what she said.

This seem to irk her more.

"Have dinner with me," he said.

"I already answered no."

"I know that," he said. "But you'll say yes eventually."

"Do whatever you want then," she said, walking away.

 

 

Junsu smiled the moment he opened his eyes.

Something about Jen Joves intrigued him.

And he's willing to find it out, by hook or by crook.

He decided to arrive at hotel around five-thirty.

He knew she wouldn't budge unless he does something drastic.

Walking inside the hotel, he approached the front desk and ask if they can deliver a letter.

When that was done, he gave the bell boy an instruction.

Once he approached Jen's hotel room, he will give her the envelope.

If she didn't answer within five minutes, he will come again and give her another envelope.

He gave the bell boy a tip, while he walked back towards the lounge and sat on one of the sofas.

To his surprise Jen exited the elevator.

She didn't noticed him as she passed him on the way towards the entrance of the hotel.

Junsu immediately stood up and followed her.

He run after her and managed to grabbed her hand.

Jen almost lost her balance when Junsu grabbed her.

He immediately catch her before she fell on the street.

"What th...?!"

"Gotcha."

She looked up at him in shock.

Then her expression suddenly changed and she frowned at him.

"Have dinner with me," he said.

"I already said no," she replied. "And will you let go of me?"

"No," he said back. "Not until you said yes."

"This is oppressive," she said.

"No, it's not."

"Yes it is, you're trying to force me to do something that is against my will. That is oppression."

He sighed and let go of her.

"There, am I still oppressing you?"

She brushed off her hands and touched her hair.

"Will you please say yes?"

"Why should I?"

He thought for a while.

Why does he wanted to have dinner with her anyway?

"Because I want to be acquainted with you."

"For what reasons?"

"Friendship?"

She sneered.

Junsu observes her. She was breathing heavily and that frown on her forehead is still evident. Her face looks like she will kill someone and her eyes are intense as ever.

"If I said yes will you get out of my life?"

"Yes."

"Fine."

"Fine?" he asked.

"Yes, fine. I'll have dinner with you. But not because I wanted to, but because you pretty much oppressed me into it."

He sheepishly smiled at her.

Yet that word 'oppressed' disturbed him.

"Where are we going to eat? Do I still need to change?" she asked.

She was wearing a pair of capri pants, t-shirt, denim jacket and a slip-on shoes.

"No, you don't have to," he replied, shaking his head.

He's also wearing casual clothes, a pair of jeans and a t-shirt.

"Come," he said. "My car's over here."

 

 

The ride was awfully silent and awkward.

Not that Jen cared, she's used to silence.

It wasn't that far though, around fifteen minutes they arrived to this restaurant.

A semi-fast food restaurant though, a lot of people were eating inside.

Once they entered, Jen could feel the crowdedness of the place and the noise was unbearable.

Guessing that Junsu noticed, he asked the waiter if they can eat outside.

She followed him as they were lead to their table.

Junsu helped her on her chair.

"You don't seem to like crowds," he stated.

She nodded.

"Hated them with a passion," she replied.

"Why?"

"The noise is too much, temperature becomes warmer and they made me anxious."

"Do you have claustrophobia?" he asked.

"Maybe, not sure. I just hated crowded places."

As their food were served, Jen didn't talked at all.

She can feel his eyes on her.

"What?" she asked.

"The way you eat is... interesting," he commented.

She raised an eyebrow.

"Care to elaborate?"

He waved his hand in front of him, smiling.

"No, no, no, it's not an insult. It's just that it looks like you aren't chewing at all and you made no sound."

"Raised that way. Can't put elbows on the table, can't speak or talk while chewing as well as chewing noisily."

"It seemed like you have a strict upbringing," he said.

"I do," she replied.

"Where are you from?" he asked.

"Philippines."

"I've been there once, we shot a commercial."

"Oh... I see," she said nonchalantly.

They ate in silence again.

Junsu suddenly stopped eating and stared back at her.

Now that he has another good look at her.

He can describe her as normal.

She has a few pimples and her face is rather oily. He can see a chicken pox scar on her left cheek and her lips seems dry and cracking.

Pretty but normal.

"Will you stop staring at me?" she suddenly said.

He swallowed immediately when he heard her speak.

"What are you staring at?"

"You don't look perfect," he said.

"Nobody is," she replied.

"I do." He suddenly chuckled when he said that.

"Pardon?"

"I said, me, I am perfect."

Jen frowned and leaned back to her chair.

"I sincerely doubt that," she replied.

He laughed a little at her expression.

"It was a joke," he stated.

"Couldn't care more or less," she countered.

"Okay, okay. Why are you being such a sourpuss?"

"Because people like you exist."

"What do you mean by people like me?"

"I doubt you can comprehend what I'm going to say."

"Try me," he dared.

"Fine," she said. "You're an idol. Obviously people like you are famous for doing trivial stuff, performing in music shows, going to variety shows, winning awards and blah blah blah blah blah... I find your life boring. Not to mention those stalkers."

"This is my dream," he stated. "And I wanted to be a singer."

He leaned back and stared at her, clasping his hands together in front of him.

"What about you?" he asked. "What is your dream?"

"I wanted to be free," she answered.

"Free from what?"

"From everything."

He briefly closed his eyes. "You should have fun, life is short."

"Great, you just topped it off with such a cliché word."

He shrugged. "I'm just saying."

"And I'm telling."

He smiled at her.

"Go eat." He gestured for her to continue eating.

When they were done eating and Junsu settled the bill, they started walking back to the car.

"Do you want to walk somewhere before I take you back to the hotel?" he asked.

She shrugged. "Sure."

Junsu led the way as she stayed back a few inches beside him.

It was a cool night, the stars were shining bright in the sky as well as the moon.

"So, why did you come here then?" he suddenly asked.

"Well, I just wanted to go far away."

"Why?"

"I told you before, I wanted to be free."

"We are free," he replied.

"No we are not," she said. "We get to be born, grow up, work, get married, have children, grow old and die. And the cycle repeats itself."

"It's so boring. What is our purpose anyway? They say that when we are born, we have our own purposes and destiny to fulfil. Yet, they didn't even teach us that life is going to be hard, that we will face these problems that will either brake you or make you."

"The world isn't beautiful. The world is cruel."

Junsu didn't said anything.

"I hate the world so much, that sometimes I think, why am I even born? Just to suffer?"

"You're only saying that because you haven't found what is your purpose yet," he replied. "All is fair in love and war, you know."

"The world is unfair, it always has been."

"You act like as if you know everything, not everyone has the same outlook as you," he replied.

"The only ones who think the world is fair is people like you who has such a bright outlook in life."

"I have to have a bright outlook in life because I had my own hardships."

"Yeah, like what? Slaving for your company? Get real, that isn't real life."

"You're being too much," he responded.

"And you're immature. You can't even grasped what I was trying to say," she retorted.

Before Junsu can say anything, he stopped himself.

"Why are we fighting over this?"

That made her look at him.

"I don't know."

"I'm gonna guess you have seen me in variety shows."

She raised an eyebrow as she looked down on the ground.

"A few."

"And...?"

"I find you annoying. For some odd reason you act like a freaking child in a body of a man."

"When will you stop doing that? It's not cute you do know that?"

"I know that," he replied.

"But if it makes other happy, why not? It wouldn't hurt to do it."

"As expected, bright outlook in life."

He laughed.

"My god... You laugh like that?"

"Yes, it has always been my laugh," he stated. "My voice is a bit husky that's why my laugh sounded like this."

"I can tell," she said. "You sounded like a cat."

That made him laugh more.

Jen just stared at him, dumbfounded.

Then her shoulders started to shake as he joined him.

Both of them are laughing.

"Yah," he said, pointing at her. "Your laugh is strange too."

"I know," she smiled. "My mother hated it, she said I sounded like I'm trying to annoy someone."

They walked back towards the car.

He drove her back towards the hotel.

Jen stayed inside the car for a while.

"It was nice," she said. "I enjoyed it."

"You sounded unsure," he replied.

"I don't like people breaking my schedule because I already programmed that in me." She unbuckled her seatbelt. "I actually hated it and I get really angry when that happens. It's as if my inner tranquillity is being disrupted."

"You're meaning to say that inviting you to dinner without any prior notice or plans can get to you?"

"Yes, I hated that a lot. I dislike it when people ruin my plans." She looked at him and smile. "But I did enjoy this."

"I'm glad you did." He smiled back at her.

She was about to get out of the car when he grabbed her arm.

"What?"

"Can I get your number then?" he asked.

"What for?"

"I just want to keep in touch with you."

She sat there in silence as she stared back at him.

"Fine," she said. "But no calls, I don't like to talk."

Junsu grinned at her as he took her phone and entered his number. He gave himself a missed call to save her number into his phone.

"Thanks," he said.

"Don't mention it. Thank you too and goodnight," she said, exiting the vehicle.

He also exited the car and gazed upon her retreating back.

When she turned to look back at him once more, he waved goodbye.

As he drove back to his own hotel, he knew this isn't the last time he will be seeing her.