Meeting Under the Tree

Where Do I Stand?

2010

 

 

 

This will be her next stop, South Korea, Jeju Island. She decided to stay in Korea for about a month and half in order for her to see every single beautiful thing that the country has to offer.

Jen exited the airport and hailed herself a taxi cab.

"Annyeonghaseyo," she greeted the driver, bowing slightly.

After placing her luggage inside the trunk and sitting comfortably inside the cab. She gave the driver the address of the hotel she will be staying.

The ride wasn't that long, she did get to glimpse the beauty of the island. Within minutes she arrived to the hotel, she paid the driver, took out her luggage and went inside the hotel.

Jeju Guesthouse isn't that luxurious, but it isn't that bad. Apparently it's the most affordable of all the hotels that she had checked. The place is neat, silent and it has that homely feel to it.

She went towards the front desk, greeting the clerk. She showed her passport to the him, as he went on and typed her name on the computer.

"Annyeonghaseyo, Ms. Joves. Welcome to Jeju Guesthouse and I hope you enjoy your stay. Here's the key to your room. I'll just call for the bell boy to take your luggage up stairs."

"Komapsumnida," she smiled at him.

After taking the lift and proceeding to her room, she told the bell boy to just set her luggage near the bed. She took her wallet out and tip the bell boy.

The bell boy bowed and thanked her as he left her to be alone in her room.

Jen sat down on the bed for a while. She has a week to explore the island, to get away from the rat race of the city life.

She took a deep breath, standing up to fix her luggage and clothes.

She decided the first thing she will do is go to the Hamdeok Beach. With a map and a GPS app on her phone, to make sure she wouldn't get lost. She rented a bike to ride to her destination

Jen felt a sense of tranquillity as she pedalled towards the sea. The wind was great, it was cool and the sun was warm.

When she's almost near the sea, she can smell the saltiness of air and her skin felt quite sticky. Once she saw the sands, a smile crept on her lips.

She was glad it isn't peak season, only a handful of people were there near the sea.

She parked her bike on the bikes stalls, securing it properly.

Jen opened her bag and pulled out her camera, she took a photograph of the sea and then of herself.

As she walked towards it, she took off her sleepers and put it inside her bag.

The feeling of the sand under her feet made her sigh, she always wanted to be near the sea again. After a brief job in an aquarium museum, she decided to study Ichthyology. But then again, she didn't get to finish it.

She doesn't want to look back at the past, she just wanted to start anew and this gift from her parents is a good start.

Walking near the water, she dipped both her feet. She almost fell off balance when the water came and pulled the sand under her feet. She giggled at this and took a photograph again.

She picked a few sea shells, wrote her name on the sand and watched as the water washes it away and ask one of the tourist if they can photograph her.

After a few more minutes playing in the water and walking around, Jen felt exhausted and decided to buy herself something to eat and drink.

She sat down under one of the palm trees overlooking the sea as the sun began to set.

 

 

He was walking around the beach for awhile now. Trying to relieve the tempest he was feeling inside of him.

He was nearing the sea, when someone caught his eyes.

A few feet away from him, he saw a woman wearing a blue dress with sunflower designs, sitting under the palm tree.

Her back was turned against him. Her raven long locks were dancing against the wind.

He didn't realize he was walking towards her direction instead towards the beach.

He saw her stood up from her position, he almost ran towards her.

She combed her hair, as she tuck it behind her ear and brushed off her dress and moved towards the trash bin.

It felt like he was watching a film as he watches all of her movements.

He didn't realized he's just a few inches away from her now.

And a faint gasped escape her lips when she turned around and met face to face with him.

She has a round face, button nose, two brown almond shape eyes and plumps lips. She looks incredibly pale due to her raven hair.

She stared at him for while before she moved to his side and started walking towards the street.

"Hi," he suddenly greeted.

It took her a while to respond, unsure what to say.

"Hello."

"Having a great time?" he asked.

She nodded, looking away.

"Are you here on vacation?"

"Yes," she replied.

"Oh, that's nice. Jeju is a nice place."

"I know that..."

"Are you a foreigner?"

"Yes."

"You don't look like one."

"I heard that a lot."

"You can speak our language fluently."

"I have studied it."

"I can tell," he smiled.

She shrugged uncomfortably as she look somewhere, not meeting his eyes.

"So..."

"I really need to leave, it's almost nightfall," she immediately replied.

"Goodbye," she murmured bowing at him.

He was left dumbfounded at that as he look back at her retreating back.

 

 

Jen couldn't believe who she saw a few moments ago.

It was him, that guy some of her friends has been talking about.

She heard some of his music and really enjoyed a few of his solo materials.

She used to listen to 'Intoxication' if she can't go to sleep and she really love that song 'Kanashimi no Yukue'.

She didn't expect that he would be here.

Or let alone the fact she will meet him here.

Even if it was only a few second, she can honestly say that he is handsome

And she cannot deny it.

She remembered the time and she quickly walked towards her bike.

And rode it back towards the hotel.

When she came back to the hotel, she was exhausted.

She laid down on the bed for a while to rest and then she'll freshen up to go down at the buffet.

After getting out of the bathroom, she went on to get dressed in a simple t-shirt and black slacks.

She placed her phone and her cardkey in her pockets and tidied up a few of her belongs and exited her room.

She was already starving when she arrived at the buffet table.

Once she sat down on her seat, she immediately devoured her food. She almost laughed when she realized she almost ate three servings of rice.

Finishing her dessert, she decided to walk around the hotel and look at its scenery.

It was already dark, but the moon was shining bright up above the night sky.

Everything is the way it's supposed to be, in a few weeks time she'll be in Japan, exploring the beauty of that country.

No one has yet to ruin her plans or schedule.

Except what happened that afternoon.

It was unexpected to meet someone, especially someone like him.

She was hoping not to see him again in the near future.

Or anyone for that matter.