Once Again

One More Thing

A/N: I am back from the dead! I sincerely apologise for disappearing and almost abandoning my stories and my readers! I am sorry. To make up, I will try to write more sensibly and frequently!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

The smell of kimchi and sesame oil were creating a heady aroma as Changmin entered the small kitchen of his host’s house to see the old man and his employer cooking together. They had decided to hold a farewell of sort for Changmin who would be leaving the next morning to return back home.

 

“I still can’t believe it”, Younghee said, frowning as she continued chopping onions. Changmin raised an eyebrow in question, cutting the tofu in small pieces. She didn’t answer as she put the onions in the pan where the kimchi was starting to smoke, the hiss and sizzle of onions catching her attention. Beside her, Yunho had that annoying know-it-all smile that Changmin was sure didn’t bode well.

 

“That you are THE Shim Changmin! I should have recognised you”, she muttered. A pause. “My ex-husband works at the Jeonju factory, before I moved here. I wonder what he is doing now. Not that it is of my interest”, she trailed off, looking into space. Changmin was about to ask who it was, when he caught Yunho’s eyes looking pointedly at him and shaking his head ever so slightly. Getting the message, Changmin changed the topic.

 

“I am sorry, Younghee-ssi. I was just trying to hide my identity”, Changmin said. 

 

“Oh well, it was just surprising. I can’t believe you worked under me in a bookshop, out of all places!”, she said, grinning. Changmin smiled back and Yunho glanced at him again as he stirred some sauce, the annoying look back in place. Changmin would give anything to not even guess what it meant. He looked around the small kitchen to find if there was anything to eat, partly because he was already starving and partly because he wanted to avoid that annoyingly weird sort of knows-what-is-going-on look in Yunho’s eyes.. His eyes fell on some chocolate that was left on top of the fridge, when Changho, Younghee’s son came in.

 

“Umma, chocolate, please?”, he said, making the cutest eyes possible. Changmin had to will himself not to glare childishly at the kid. But he had seen the chocolate first. He couldn’t believe the thoughts he was having. 

 

“Not now. We will be having dinner soon. It’s kimchi jiggae”, Younghee said, serving rice as the pot bubbled on stove. 

 

“But Changie is hungly!”, the kid said, not giving up, and upping the power of his puppy eyes. Changmin had to give it to the little boy. But apparently, his mother was immune to it. May be she had that natural shield?

 

“No, Changho”, Younghee said, turning to boil the water for tea. The little lips quivered and sensing an oncoming flood, Changmin intervened.

 

“We can share, right?”, he said, hoping that he atleast got some chocolate. Anything for food. And he caught Yunho’s eye for the fourth time. 

 

The annoying smile had widened.

 

                                                                         -x-x-x-

 

“Thank you for having us over, ahjussi”, Younghee said, as she adjusted the sleeping Changho.

 

“Are you sure you don’t want me to drive you home? It’s pretty cold outside and late in the night”, Yunho said. 

 

“It’s fine. Just a block away, you know it”, Younghee said.

 

“Thank you for the dinner, Younghee ssi”, Changmin said. “And thank you for letting me work under you”.

 

And for the first time in very long time, Changmin bowed in thanks. It was just not in his nature and upbringing to bow to anyone. He couldn’t remember the last time he bowed to someone. May be his father? He was not remembering and was not to eager to remember.

 

The goodbyes were said, door was locked and Changmin returned to packing whatever little possessions he had acquired here in a small rucksack, when there was a knock on his door and Yunho entered in. He was holding a small, non descript paper bag.

 

“Packing going well?’, he asked. Changmin nodded as he went to fetch his socks which had been drying. The clothes he had come here in had been packed first, not wanting to be seen. They still carried unpleasant memories, even if they were the truth. He came back to find Yunho standing by the window, the curtains drawn apart. He could,’t very well see the expression, only the side profile, but could surmise a deep and serious expression. But when Yunho turned to him, he was smiling.

 

“Here”, he said, handing him the paper bag.

 

“What is it?”, Changmin asked, unceremoniously stuffing his socks and taking the bag and peeking inside. There was an envelope and a small box wrapped in simple brown paper with a red ribbon.

 

“Something from Jaejoong and me”, Yunho said, grinning. Changmin looked at him in surprise and Yunho’s grin melted into a gentle smile.

 

“You made quite an impression on Jaejoong the last time we went”, he said. Changmin was sure he hadn’t spoken a single word when they had met. How had he formed such an impression on Jaejoong?

 

“Thank you”, he murmured. He felt a hand ruffle his hair an he looked up to see a very kind and fatherly expression of Yunho’s eyes. He looked  back at the box, the red ribbon a stark contrast to the brown paper. And the snow white envelope.

 

“You can open it if you want”, Yunho said, looking at the expression on Changmin’s face who flushed at getting read so easily. 

 

He mumbled something unintelligible and after a pause, his curiosity got the better of him. He slowly unwrapped the paper, and a white cardboard box feel in his lap. Inside was an exquisitely carved miniature tree, about the size of his thumb. It was so detailed and intricate that Changmin as at a loss for words. Right from the petals on the minuscule flowers on the tree to the design on the ropes of a tiny swing that hung from a miniature branch, it was a art piece worthy of having it’s own gallery.

 

“I observed that you really liked the swing that’s in the garden. So I figured if you would like a mini version of it”, Yunho said. Changmin kept on staring at the object, his sight blurring for some reason.

 

“Thank you”, he croaked, struggling to not let his voice crack. He turned to Yunho and bowed again. Bowed even lower than he had bowed earlier in the evening. 

 

“Look up, Changmin”, Yunho said kindly. Changmin straightened but didn’t look up. Yunho patiently waited till he had composed himself. 

 

“How should I thank you?”, Changmin asked quietly. Yunho looked taken aback for a split second before smiling that kind smile of his.

 

“By dropping to visit every once in a while?”, Yunho said, eyes twinkling. An dispute of himslef, Changmin had to smile slightly. They chatted about a few sundry things as Changmin finished his packing. It was almost midnight as Yunho got up to leave.

 

“What will you be doing once you return?”, Yunho asked. Changmin paused again. That was a very interesting question. One which he really didn’t want to think about. At all.

 

“i don’t know”, he whispered truthfully. Yunho looked at him understandingly.

 

“As long as you don’t regret it and give it your all, I am sure it will be fine”, Yunho said. Changmin looked at him, at loss for words once again.

 

“What time is your train? I will drop you at the station”, Yunho said from the doorway. Changmin shook his head. It would be too much to ask of his host who had already done so much for him.

Yunho smiled at him and was about to go when Changmin stopped him.

 

“If..if it is alright, can I meet Jaejoong-ssi before I leave?”