Workplace.

One More Thing

'I am going for work.If you want to go out,leave the key with Kim ahjumma',Yunho said to Changmin who was bent over the weeds.He waved his scissors in answer,smiling back.

It had been almost a week since Changmin had been staying at the little house.And he was loving every moment of it.He had almost forgotten he had a different life.A life which was nowhere in comparision to this one.

He had learnt his host worked evenings in a local orphanage as a caretaker and as a  fireman in mornings as a senior trainer.His host had been a fireman all along,only retiring an year ago.Prefering to spend his evenings in company of children.Changmin also learned his host loved children.And children loved him back.He had gone with Yunho one evening to the orphanage and found himself geting wet-eyed over the tiny tots swarming around the fellow.Yunho's gentleness with the kids might as well be as tender as a mother's touch.Changmin didn't remember when was the last time his father had even patted his head in appreciation.

He had started work at a bookcafe,disguising as a student looking for part time job to bear his part of expenses.But Yunho had refused, saying he wouldn't accept a single coin from someone staying under his roof.Changmin was an inch from bursting in tears at this warmth,but he controlled.He was determined to repay his host somehow.So he worked the evenings in a the local library.

He himself was really astonished at the changes in him.He had never even dreamt that he would ever be working part-time.That too in a bookshop.He had been doing his own things like tidying his room and washing his clothes on his own.How he did that,he himself didn't know.But he had easily fit himself to the routine.He also joined Yunho on his daily morning walks,where Yunho made it a point to greet every person he knew.And the people he met had nothing but warm smiles and hugs for his host.He had learnt from the old lady at bookstore,that Yunho used to work there as a student and was 'the boy with a heart more pure than gold'.And Changmin couldn't help but agree to it.His host was an unnaturally kind man.

He straightened up,wiping the sweat from his forehead.It was unnaturally stuffy for an October afternoon.He was helping weed the garden and was at it from the moment he had finished breakfast.Half the flowerbed was clean.He will take on the creeper later.He went inside,wiping the sweat on his sleeve,leaving the door open to let in some air.After a quick shower and lunch,Changmin was out the door and walking to his workplace.He greeted people he knew.It was a small town.The type where everyone knows everybody.It was a quiet afternoon as usual and Changmin was liking it very much.

'Hello Choi halmoni',he greeted the elderly women in the wheelchair who was sitting in the small garden.The lady was really old and wrinkly,the type who would seem to give up life anytime.She turned her face slowly towards the voice,her lack of vision not able to see Changmin.

'A nice weather,isn't it,halmoni?',Changin said rather cheerfully.He had grown to like the elderly lady.She was so different from the grandmother he once knew.This old lady was utterly incapable of talking sense,if she ever talked and was paralysed waist down,but always carried a word or two of kindness for him whenever she was in right senses..Right now,the lady had turned her face to the voice,unable to see him clearly.

'I love butterflies',she babbled.

'Halmoni?Is that you in the sun?I told you to stay in shade.You will get a sun again',a female voice came.There was a thudding of feet and a young girl of around Changmin's age came out,an apron around her waist and a pan in her hand.

'Halmoni!There you are!I told you to stay out of the sun',she said when her gaze fell on Changmin.

'Hello Younghee ssi',he said.

'Oh,hello Changmin-ssi.Sorry you had to see this.But halmoni is so stubborn.Will you see to the customers,please.I will just take halmoni inside',she said,ushering the old lady in. Changmin nodded as he went in,keeping his bag behind the counter.

It was a small book store actually,renovated with a small coffee service corner.There was also a reading corner,decorated with warm colours and few threadbare rugs and armchairs for readers to relax and enjoy coffee with their books.It was a quiet and peaceful place and Changmin was glad he got work here.There were a couple of people reading and another two by the counter. Ringing in their purchases,Changmin bowed them out of the shop.He smiled to himself suddenly.

The heir of Shim Industries working as a cashier in a book store.Media would have a field day if they got a whiff of this,he mused as he tidied the shelves.He heard the bell tinkle, indicating a customer and he turned with a professional smile only to see Yunho enter.

'Oh.So you work here.Nice place.Nice place',Yunho said,eyes twinkling with something Changmin was sure he didn't want to know.

'Oh!Yunho ahjussi!Long time no see!'a squeal came and Changmin looked to his employer run like a school girl towards Yunho.

'You have grown again,Younghee-yah.Last time I saw you,you were this much',Yunho said, indicating the height wth his hand.

'We just met last week,ahjussi!',she said.Yunho gave one of his hearty laugh before seeing Changmin's gobsmacked face.They talked about general things before Younghee led him inside.He patted Changmin's hair as passed by.

'Nice choice of workplace',he said.And Changmin was not sure what irritated him more. The patting of his head like he was a child or the twinkle in the other's eyes.

                                                                                                          -x-x-x-

'How do you know him?',Changmin asked,unable to contain his curiosity.It still amazed him how everyone knew each other.His employer was silent as she handed him books to arrange.They heard occassional laughter from the inner rooms and a delightful childish babble.

'I know him from as long as I can remember',Younghee said,not meeting his eyes.Chagnmin didn't ask further,sensing that she may not want to talk.They had closed the shop and tidying up before leaving.Changmin got down from the ladder,keeping it in the store room.He could hear the loud,full-bellied laughter of his host and that made him smile.It was truly infectious. Yunho had stayed back to play with Younghee's 3 year old son who had been recovering from a fever.And Younghee had insisted they stay for dinner but Yunho had refused,saying she had much work.

'I knew him from my childhood.Halmoni used to talk about him all the times.Yunho ahjussi had always been alone.No one knows what exactly happened to his family,but halmoni says that his wife was the most beautiful creature on earth.But I haven't seen a picture of his wife anywhere though I used to play in his house as a young girl',the girl said suddenly as she picked up the duster.Changmin looked at her to see her eyes shining strangely.Tears.

'He did so much for me.When I was all alone,expecting ChangHo,he was the one who took me in.I can't even find a beginning to repay him'.

She shook her head as if trying to get rid of something and handed a few damaged books to him while she locked the cash drawer.Changmin helped to pull the shutter down.They saw Yunho come from behind the shop,a small child on his shoulder.

'That man deserves all the happiness in this world,Changmin-ssi.All the happiness',she said as went to take her son.

                                                                                                               -x-x-x-

It was a quiet walk home,the air a bit chilly.Winter was coming quite fast this year.

'How did you find a job at Younghee's?',Yunho asked.

'Oh,I was just looking around.I..don't want to be a burden to you',Changmin said,his last words trailing away,gaze elsewhere.He felt a warm and heavy hand touch his head and he looked at the man beside him.Yunho smiled at him,his eyes shining in a way that made Changmin's heart squeeze painfully.He looked away,irritated by the sudden wetness in his eyes.the silence fell between them again.

Changmin was preparing to go to his room when Yunho called him.

'Would you like to come with me tomorrow somewhere?',he asked.

'Where?'

'I would like you to meet someone.Will you come?',Yunho asked.Changmin thought for a moment before nodding.He didn't have anything else to do except for his part-time at the bookstore.He will just call his employer and take a leave.He was halfaway through the stairs when Yunho spoke again.

'You will never be burden to me,Changmin-ah'.

And the irritating wetness in his eyes returned at the way his name was taken.    

                                                                                                                -x-x-x-

Hello!!

I want to finish this story as soon as possible.The OC is added as it will be a connecting part to the rest of sory.

Comments are appreciated.One comment once in a while doesn't hurt,right?It gives me encouragement!^^

Kamsahamnida