Her Past

Remembering You, Sacrificing Me

A/N: Warning! May contain sensitive topics. Skip Julia's past if you feel uncomfortable with it.

“Neverland is pretty much divided. People with the ability to heal inhabit the center of Neverland. People with the ability to control fire are in the South. Ice in the North, you pretty much get it, don’t you?”

“When do you think I’ll find out what my powers are?” Julia questions as they move about Neverland, weaving through the bustling crowd at the marketplace. “When I find my powers, am I entitled to join whichever division my power matches?”

To Julia, it sounded rather lame. The concept of having supernatural powers and indeed it was. At least from what she’d seen. Kevin had taken it upon himself to show her his speed by getting take out from the speed division. They were fast regardless and Julia couldn’t quite believe herself when Kevin appeared with a take out bag. She was more so surprised when she noticed Kevin didn’t even break out into sweat.

“You’re not necessarily entitled to go wherever your powers fit. People do it anyways though. It seems as though people with the same powers find a liking towards the same environment. That’s all,” Kevin explains. “As for when you’ll get your powers, I’m not too sure myself. Many times, people who come to Neverland get their powers on the same day. Yet, you didn’t. I’m guessing yours will take as long as our ‘Ice Prince’.”

“How long did it take him to discover his power?” After spending a full morning and afternoon with Kevin, she had learned of the cold guy who had usually spent his days locked away in his room. With such a cold persona, it didn’t really surprise her to find that he had the ability to control water with a bonus of freezing it- thus making him the ‘Ice Prince’.

“It took him a while. Perhaps a month. We got so worried that we reported it to the people who created or rather found Neverland. Alexander and Kibum, the both of them had to come take a look themselves and watch over him. He was the first one to ever take that long to discover his abilities. Once he did, Alexander and Kibum concluded that it probably had something to do with his past. He didn’t have a good one- that’s for sure. Even to this day, he refuses to answer any of our questions about his past.”

 The both of them break away from the crowd and were now walking towards a hill top. Gesturing for her to take a seat on the very top to get a better view of the many divisions in Neverland, Kevin continued.

“It’ll take a while for you, I’m assuming. If you don’t mind me asking... what was your past like?” His question was greeted by silence, forcing him to immediately explain himself. “Of course, I’m just asking this question because your case seems just like his. I won’t force you to tell me anything. You’re not obligated too- I just thought that maybe if I found out your past I’d be able to understand him and perhaps predict how long it’ll take you to discover your abilities faster.”

Julia sat in silence, staring at his side profile, watching as the wind played with his blond hair. When he turned his head to look at her, she found herself turning to look back at the divisions, her brown eyes turning noticeably lighter as the sun shone into them. A sigh escaped her lips as she pulled her knees closer to her chest, keeping them there by wrapping her arms around her legs and interwining her fingers together.

“My past?” Hazy and blurry memories came back to her. “I- I guess I had a pretty normal life growing up.” Another sigh escapes her lips as she closed her eyes. “I was their only child. My parents’ only child. They’ve always planned on having two children. However, after having me, my mother was told she would be unable to give birth to any more children. Nevertheless, my mother and father tried. It eventually worked fifteen years later. However, at my mother’s age- my sister was born into this world with several health complications, causing her to live off of live support. The doctors told my parents it would be of no use to keep her on life support. She’d never get better anyways. Why waste thousands trying to keep her alive?”

“What kind of doctor would say that?” Kevin questions, a slight frown taking over his lips. “So... what happened?”

Another sigh escaped her lips as she opened her eyes, staring out at the sun as it began to set.

“My dad came home angry one day. I didn’t know why at first. I hadn’t noticed how painfully cheerful my mother was that day either. The way her lips twisted into a bitter smile- I never questioned her. Nor did I question why she was home with me that day and why she wasn’t at the hospital with my baby sister. My mom and dad began to argue and that’s when I found out my mother had pulled the plug.”

 Julia’s lips were pressed into a thin line as she buried her face into her chest. Taking a deep breath, she couldn’t figure out why she was feeling melancholy, yet unable to relate to her memories at all. Perhaps coming to Neverland had numbed her emotions.

“Following that, my mother was never the same. Of course, who could be? After pulling the plug for her child. A child that she had wanted for such a long time. My parents both loved her before she was born. They already had a name picked out for her. Her name was Grace. She was Grace Kwon,” Julia mumured after lifting her head up and resting it on the top of her knees.

“My mother went into depression as my father took care of Grace’s funeral. On the day of Grace’s funeral, my mother went crazy. She refused to go, claiming that Grace was somewhere out there still alive. My father was in disbelief when he heard her claim such a thing. How could she not believe what she, herself had done? Of course, my father tried to get her help. She did come to realize Grace was gone for good and with that, she fell into depression once again. Two years after, my dad couldn’t take it anymore and filed a divorce.”

“What happened after that?” Kevin’s voice softly brought her back. “You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to. After all, it’s been only five days since we’ve met. I also don’t you to get stressed by this mentally and physically.”

“I’m fine,” Julia breathes out, staring out into the sunset. “I need to tell you this. It’ll help you understand Neverland’s little ‘Ice Prince’, won’t it? Besides, I don’t want to keep any secrets from you. You’ve been nothing but nice to me for the past few days.”

Julia turns her head, her brown eyes meeting Kevin’s. Reading her eyes, Kevin notices the determination in her eyes to finish the story, seemingly interested in remembering her own story and nods.

“I lived with my father after that. I remembered how angry my father had been in his last argument with my mother. He immediately packed his things in a suitcase and left. After filing for a divorce, my father got full custody over me. The court deemed my mother to be in no position to take care of me. Living with my father, I was often left at home, all alone. He was always too busy working after that. I was always alone. I visited my mother from time to time, but her condition didn’t seem to change. One day, as I was visiting her, I found her attempting suicide.”

“My mother was admitted to the hospital to treat her depression. This happened another two years later, which was recently. I guess maybe that was why I was able to come here,” Julia says, falling back onto the grassy hill top. “My mother’s condition didn’t change at all when I had gone to visit her. I guess the hospital did a good job of making sure my mother didn’t hurt herself again but they didn’t bother to help treat her depression.”

Silence fills the air as another breeze passes by, ruffling Kevin’s blond hair and messed with her dark bangs. The both of them bask in the silence as questions flooded both of their minds. A soft and thoughtful expression takes over Kevin’s face as he looks down at Julia, lying besides him staring at the pink-orange sky.

“I wonder if... he had a past like that too. Now that I think about it, Alexander did mention something about him losing everything important to him.” The two sit in silence for a while longer before Kevin stands up. “Anyways, onto a less depressing topic, dinner is probably soon. Let’s get going before Eli nags us for returning late.”

Humming in response, Julia sits up as Kevin holds his hand out offering to help her up. Taking his hand, she pulls herself up and dusts the back of her pants, her dark hair touching her shoulder. With that, the both of them head back towards the house.

 

 

Standing by his bedroom window had become a habit for him. Thinking about her had also turned into a habit. His heart had been incredibly heavy ever since losing her. Her whole life had consistented of protecting him, rarely having any time for herself. Not to mention, thanks to him- she’d spent a good few years of her life living without her father.

His thoughts of her were interrupted by a knock as a muffled voice reached his ears.

“It’s time for dinner. Do you want to eat with us or eat by yourself?” Soohyun asks, twisting the door knob to open the door. “If you want to eat by yourself, I’ll bring it up for you.”

“It’s fine,” he sighs silently, without turning around to face Soohyun. “I’ll be down in a minute.”

“Are you sure? I mean, the newcomer’s still here. I know how you don’t like eating with newcomers.” Soohyun stands by the door, his left hand resting on the knob as he stares at Dong Ho’s back. “Don’t force yourself.”

“I’m not forcing myself onto anything,” Dong Ho snaps, whirling around to face Soohyun for disrupting his peace. “I don’t like eating with newcomers- you’re right about that. However, I’m not going to restrict myself from leaving this room just because of the newcomer. This house is our house- not the newcomer’s.”

“Alright- somebody’s a little cranky. Anyways, the reason I came up here to ask you personally, tonight, was not to get disrespected, but to ask you for a favor,” Soohyun explains. “The newcomer, oddly enough reminds me of you- actually, reminds everyone here of you when you first came. Well, she’s much easier to talk to, but anyways, she hasn’t discovered any of her abilities yet, just like how you were. Xander and Kibum want us to keep tabs on her and find a pattern between the both of you. It’ll be nice if you helped.”

“The word ‘help’ isn’t in my dictionary,” Dong Ho says icily, his face void of emotion as he turns back to his window.

“Well, I hope d**k is because that’s what you are,” Soohyun mutters under his breath, angered by the lack of respect he received from the younger male. “Suit yourself, but remember, out of everyone in this house, you do the least amount of work around here. In fact, none at all. I don’t think Xander and Kibum would be too pleased with your behavior. Like I said, dinner is ready. Come down if you want to eat or if you don’t, don’t bother coming down.”

Turning around, Soohyun breathes out, attempting to control his anger and frustration with the younger male. Without bothering to close the bedroom door, he heads over to the stairs and makes his way down as the door slams behind him from the wind induced by the younger male.

Burying his face into his hands, Dong Ho leans against the window, frustrated by the truth behind Soohyun’s words. With a deep sigh, his eyes soften as he looks in the direction of his door, before he straightens his posture.

A positive attitude was what he needed tonight.

Yes, for once, he was going to be positive- or at least attempt to be so.

Slowly twisting his door knob, he nervously swallowed his saliva, closing his eyes as he did so. Could he really be positive?

 

 

Splashing water onto her face, she found herself holding onto the edges of the smooth marble sink as she proceeded to stare at the mirror before her. Water dripped from her chin and fell back into the sink as she grabbed her towel, wiping the water away.

Her brown eyes traveled across her face, scrutinizing every part, staring at her hair for the longest time ever. Her hair had always been a lighter brown, but for some reason, her hair seemed to be the darkest of browns. Perhaps even black. A frown was painted onto her face as she felt the ends of her hair touch her shoulders.

Picking up strands of her hair by their ends, she forced herself to think back to the last time she had cut her hair. Certainly, she hadn’t cut her hair this short, had she? Yet, staring down at the ends of her hair made her realize she had probably cut her hair even shorter, noticing the split ends of her hair. How unhealthy the ends seemed. It had been a while since she trimmed her hair, she concluded. Could she have been passed out in Neverland for that long?

Maybe so, she had decided. She would have to ask Kevin later.

Turning the door knob of the bathroom, she pushed the door open and headed to the dining room to help the others set the table up.

“Oh, hey Julia!” Kiseop greets enthusiastically as he throws an arm over her shoulders. Ignoring the glares Jaeseop sent him for blocking the way by hanging with Julia, he proceeds to drag her over to the kitchen to help set the table by handing her side dishes. “It’s a Korean styled dinner tonight. Eli was too lazy to actually cook so he reheated whatever we had for breakfast and made kimchi stew. He even cooked the rice in a rice cooker this time around.”

Giving him a smile, Julia moves back to the dining room, setting the side dishes on the table. Just as she sets them down, Hoon tugs her arm, handing her a few more before hurrying back into the kitchen to grab the rest.

“Oh, Kiseop- before I let the others have some of this stew, try this for me. You can take spicy stuff can’t you? I need you to tell me if it’s spicy enough or not. You know, I wouldn’t want someone to say I was lazy with my cooking today,” Kyungjae (Eli) said with artifical sweetness lacing his voice, picking up a spoonful of stew. Kiseop, oblivious towards Kyungjae’s true intentions, allowed Kyungjae to feed him the stew, immediately feeling the effect of the stew.

With his face red, Kiseop leaned on the table, panting and choking on his whole saliva. With another trick up his sleeve, Kyungjae hands him a glass of what appeared to be orange juice. Without another thought, Kiseop downs the drink before spitting the last bits out, his spit all miraculously landing onto Kyungjae.

“Lee. Ki. Seop.” Kyungjae breathes out slowly.

“What the hell is wrong with you, Eli? Who the hell puts wasabi in orange juice?” Kiseop protests, watching Kyungjae wipe the spit off his face slowly, obviously disgusted. “At least none of the food was harmed in this process, though... I couldn’t say the same about no harm being done to you.”

“Shut up already, Kiseop.” Kyungjae said, his voice strained and a vein bulging from his neck as he tried his best not to snap at Kiseop. “Let’s just set up the table and eat dinner so I can sanitize my whole body after.”

“Oh, thank god. For a moment there Eli, I thought you were going to chase after me with your spatula again. That’s why you’re my favorite, Eli. At least you hit me with a spatula, unlike the others. With their fists.” Kiseop nods his head in appreciation, tears lacing his eyes as he thinks back to all the times to which Kyungjae had chased him down the halls with a spatula in hand. “You know spatulas don’t hurt as much as fists. Oh, it’s also kind of funny that you don’t smell that bad after I spit on you.”

“Don’t. Push. It. Ki. Seop.” Kyungjae said, shooting a glare at him.

“Alright, but you know... I haven’t brushed my teeth for a day I think,” Kiseop said, pausing to rethink it.

“Shut. Up.”

“Actually no, scratch that. I think it’s been three days or possibly even a week,” Kiseop continues, tapping the bottom of his chin.

“LEE KISEOP!” Kiseop jumps from surprise, realizing that a fuming mad Kyungjae was standing before him. “YOU DISGUSTING IDIOT!”

“Oh, they’re at it again,” Kevin muses as he leans against the wall next to Julia. “Kiseop never learns and- he can be clumsy and rather oblivious to his surroundings. Without him, I guess this place wouldn’t be as lively as it is today.” Kevin chuckles, causing Julia to follow in suit.

The two continued to laugh for a while until Julia heard the sound of slow footsteps coming from the direction of the stairs. Looking in the direction of the spiraling staircase, she caught sight of a male dressed in a black tee and jeans making his way down the last steps as her smile slowly faded from her lips.

Was he the guy that stayed in his room for the past five days?

Curiosity got the better of her as she continued to look in his direction, wondering if she had met him before. When their eyes met, Julia had then realized that he was indeed the guy who never left his room for the past five days.

“Oh, that’s Dong Ho. Our little ‘Ice Prince’. I assume you know more about him that he knows about you,” Kevin said, causing Julia to break her eye contact with him. Pushing himself off the wall he was leaning on with his right foot, he turns to Dong Ho, who merely stares past him in disbelief. “And Dong Ho, this is the newcomer we’ve been talking about. This is-.”

“Kim So Li. Li, you’re back.” Dong Ho breathes out, his brown eyes wide with disbelief. Without another second to waste, his arms were wrapped around her pulling her into a hug.

Silence filled the room. Kiseop stopped screaming, Kyungjae stopped chasing him.

Everything and everyone was quiet.

 

“So Li, it’s really you... You’re still alive. You’re back.”

 

A/N: I'm not so good at updating, especially since I've been really really really busy. I had completely forgotten that I had written the update for this chapter. Sorry for the unnecessary wait T^T. As for Julia's past, I haven't experienced anything like it first hand, so I'm basing it off movies/ dramas. You get the point, so please excuse it if it sounds... fake. Anyhow I hope you guys enjoy this chapter! (Though many might be frustrated or eager to know if Julia really is So Li or not). Comment your guesses down below!