Ball and Chain

Ryosuke, Rewritten (Drabble Collection)

 Ball and Chain

Genre: General

Summary: This drabble has no plot. Writing exercise 


 The distance between the two of them grew farther and farther with each ragged breath she took; her worn out legs just couldn’t keep up with the pace, never mind the pain. It was a relentless wild-goose chase, along with what seemed like a never ending forest maze.  Breathing became much more difficult as the cold air coursed through her lungs and dried her already parched throat. She couldn’t tell which was louder: her heavy panting or her heart throbbing. 

“Come on Mirai, hurry!” He said, though his body was slowly fading away.

“S-stop! Wait for--” 

She hit the ground, hard. Skin torn from her face, hands, and knees, followed by a trickle of blood. The injured girl yelped in pain by the sudden sting that screamed through the palm of her hands; there was no time for tears. 'Get up', she told herself, forcing her nearly drained out body to stand, but something with massive weight restrained her from proceeding any farther. Mirai looked behind her; an over-sized iron ball and chain had attached itself onto her ankle, rapidly increasing in size as she struggled to move. 

“Help, I’m stuck!” called out Mirai. “Please come back, don’t leave me alone!”

Nothing but silence could be heard. 

She called out to him again, but there was still no response, he was long gone. She didn’t want to accept it. She couldn’t accept it. The helpless child desperately continued to scream, shout, and beg to be saved until she felt warm wetness on her cheeks. Torrents of grief came pouring out of her eyes like a waterfall. She buried her face in her hands in defeat, forever being trapped in this hell called a labyrinth. 

“Please,” She begged for the last time, “Come back. I can’t...I just can’t go on. So please…”

Save me. 


Word Count: 304