04 Forgotten Meetings

The Village of Spirits

After changing into the clothes Hikari gave me, I decided to get some rest and hopefully leave early in the morning. When I woke up I was alone in the room. I remember clearly last night Hikari slept next to me as well as a few other girls. I began to fold my blankets and put them away in the closet and found a pair of sandals and put them on. There were voices from outside the door and it sounded like Jeonjeon and Hikari so I made my way to the door.

"Good morning!" Jeonjeon said to me when I opened the door. I looked out at the view in front of me and saw pretty much nothing but water and the sky. It looked absolutely beautiful and I was awed. “You probably don’t remember seeing the water since it was dark last night.” Jeonjeon continues speaking when he noticed me staring at the view. 

"How long are you planning to stay here Mijoo?" Hikari asks me. 

"I don't know. I want to go back home soon." I answered her but she gave me a confused look which made me confused as well. "Thanks for letting me spend the night here and giving me these clothes to wear. But I should probably return home soon. I volunteered for an activity today for my school and I don't want to be late to it. I don’t have any friends at my school and I wanted to meet some today."

Hikari and Jeonjeon exchanged looks. It went quiet for a little while and I was waiting for one of them to speak. No one spoke and Jeonjeon looked down. 

"Where should I put these clothes? I should change back to my clothes from yesterday." I broke the silence. 

"No it's okay." Before I turned around to go back into the room Jeonjeon stopped me. "Let's go for a walk."

"I really shouldn't." I denied his request. 

"It won't be long." He insisted. 

I thought about it for a few seconds before agreeing to go. I closed the door behind me and followed after Jeonjeon. We were walking down the patio because they all were connected to each other with stairs. The room I slept in yesterday was at the very top of this building. 

Unlike last night, everyone that I saw was relaxing and wasn't rushing to do things. I also noticed that the girls here were dressed like geishas and I couldn't help but stare. I've never seen a geisha before, not even a fake one. They were absolutely beautiful.

While I was busy admiring the geishas I saw a hand in front of me. "So you don't get lost or distracted." Jeonjeon said to me when he noticed that my pace has slowed down. I took his hand with my own and we quickly made our way through the crowd and we were soon outside of the building. 

We walked across the bridge and continued down the main road from yesterday until he turned to a smaller road. It led to the forest and I was hesitant to walk through it but he kept tugging my arm telling me to go with him. 

"Where are you taking me?" I asked him but he didn't reply. What's up with people always ignoring my questions? It feels like I'm talking to a wall. 

"To my favorite place." He finally answered.

"Jeonjeon." I spoke and then paused. He didn't show any reaction to the fact that I knew his name without him telling me. "How do you know my name?" I asked.

"You don't remember me?" He stopped walking to look at me. Why does he seem shocked? I don't remember him at all. So I shook my head no as a reply.

He didn't say anything afterwards and continued walking in the forest. But this time he wasn't tugging on my arm anymore. He seemed upset for some reason but I didn't know why.

Finally, I was given the chance to look around at my surroundings since I wasn't able to before. I mean with Jeonjeon pulling on my arm and everything. I kept my eyes down toward my feet making sure I didn't trip on anything. It was a bit dark in the forest, due to the shadows from the tree,  even though it was morning. We continued walking until we reached a beach. It was beautiful. The water was so blue that it looked clear. It was weird how the beach and forest was right next to each other but it was okay. They both looked beautiful. 

I continued to admire the view of the beach. This was my first time at a beach. I have a bad history with water but I always loved how it looked. I looked at Jeonjeon, whose back was facing me and I noticed that he was taking in deep breaths. I started to get worried.

"Jeonjeon?" I spoke. 

"You really..." He began. "don't remember me? Not even a little bit?"

“Have we met before?” I asked. “I just moved here like two months ago. I don’t recall meeting you.”

“Nevermind then.” Jeonjeon ignored the topic. I was confused and I didn’t know what to say or do. This was a conversation I wanted to talk about but why did he just brush it off. It seemed like a big deal to him. “There’s something you should probably know though.” He speaks up.

“Yes?” I quickly answered him.

“You can’t return home.” My eyes widen at his comment. I knew it. I shouldn’t had came with him. He’s mad at me now for not remembering who he is and now he’s going to punish me. He probably has my parents tied up to a chair with duct tape on their mouths. I knew it was dangerous here.

“What do you mean?” My voice was shaky as I started to become scared. His back was still facing me and I didn’t want him to turn around. I was scared to see his face.

“You probably don’t know where you are.” He finally turned around but I looked away. “You can’t return home Mijoo.” I looked up at him again and my eyes were locked on his. Why did he seem so sad? “Yesterday you and your parents entered the Lost World.”

“What?” I was shocked. What does he mean the ‘Lost world’.

“When you guys walked passed that trail you guys came into the lost world. You guys could had easily gone back but it was too late because the sun was already down.” He continued. “That’s why the trail ended up turning into a water stream. So that you guys can’t escape. Mongssi put that there. It’s so that people like you won’t be able to return back into the real world.”

I felt my face get warm and a tear roll down my cheeks. I don’t why I was crying but tears just kept falling down. I didn’t know what to do and what to believe. I’ve always thought being stuck in the lost world was a legend. It was something you always read in stories but not something you thought would be real.

I squatted down and held my knees to my chest, just letting the rest of my tears fall. Jeonjeon was in front of me and normally I hated when people saw me cry, but I didn’t care right now. I’m stuck in the lost world, I’m living with spirits. I started to cry even harder until I felt an arm snake around my body and pull me into a hug. Jeonjeon was comforting me and I didn’t care. Bad person or not, he was the only person I have right now.