02 Being Lonely

The Village of Spirits

It’s been about two months since we’ve moved into our new house and I’ve adjusted quite well to the new environment. School is a whole different story though. When I first came, everyone was already in their own cliques and gave me the cold shoulder. It didn’t really bother me since I still stayed in contact with my friends from my old school, but honestly I would have thought the students at my new school will be more friendly, I guess not.

“Let’s do something today! I don’t want to go home early.” I heard one of my classmates make plans for the weekend.

“How about karaokeing? We’ll order food there.” I heard another voice.

I sighed as I started to feel even lonelier. I missed my friends and I wanted to see them. Back at my hometown, every first Friday of the month my friends and I would  do something crazy. The month before I left we went skinny dipping at night. It was crazy but it was fun. I guess I just have to start getting used to things being different here.

Without a thought, I made my way home from school. My house wasn’t far from my school. It’s about 20 minutes if I walked, 10 minutes if I biked, and maybe 5 minutes if I was dropped off and picked up. I was familiar with the area now. The elders will greet me and give me something to eat, so I won’t be hungry on my way back home. I guess they  are my only friends right now.

“Mijoo, hello!” An elder the people called Halmae greeted me. She was the owner of a bakery and would always give me some dinner rolls to take home. “How was school today?” She asks me.

“It was the usual.” I replied back. My answer might have been unsatisfying to her but I tried to make it sound exciting.

“No plans for the weekend?” Halmae continued to ask me while she was wrapping the dinner rolls. “Why don’t you call some of your friends?”

“My friends lives too far from here.”

“How about your classmates?”

“They’re not my friends.” I looked down when I noticed she was staring at me. I felt embarrassed saying that I had no friends here. It’s not like wanted to be a loner, but it was true, I have no friends here. “Well, at least not yet.” I assure her.

“I’m sure you’ll make some soon.”

I watched Halmae finish wrapping the rolls for me before leaving her store. My mind was blank because I didn’t want to think of anyone or anything right now. I just wanted to eat some dinner rolls and go to bed. That’s how I liked to spend my Friday nights now. I didn’t even bother texting any of my old friends. At times like these, music was my only friend. I searched in my jacket pockets for my earbuds and decided to listen to music. My only friend right now.

When I got home my parents were outside. Going on a walk probably. I wasn't in the mood. I just wanted to spend the weekend with my bed. I don't know why but I just purposely feel gloomy. It actually helps me because I end up thinking a lot.

"Hey sweetie. Wanna join your father and I on a walk? We're going on a picnic." My mother asked. "We'll wait for you to get dressed."

I guess I should spend some time with my parents. Honestly they were my only friends and supporters right now. I got upstairs and into my bedroom to change. I put on some black jeggings and a loose white and red baseball style tee shirt. I found my black and white New Balances and put them on. It was warm but I brought a black hoodie in case it gets chilly.

We walked on a trail that was near our house. Our neighbors told us that the people who lived in our house before us created that trail. It was actually just a shortcut to the park nearby so a lot of people took that trail. We decided to walk through there and eat at the park or something.

"It's so nice here isn't it sweetie?" My mother asked me and gave a side hug. My father was walking in front of us leading the way.

"Yeah it is. It's so cute here." I answered and my mother chuckled. It was true. The trees looked liked trees from an Anime. Actually this whole entire trail we were taking, looked like a scene from an Anime.

"Hmm why does it seem like this trail is never ending?" My father stopped and asked. It got chilly and I put in my hoodie.

"Maybe we're almost there." My mother said.

My mind began to go crazy with a bunch of negative thoughts. "Maybe it's best if we go back." I said but they ignored me. I didn't want to continue on with the trail but I didn't want to go back by myself leaving them behind.

We continued walking for a few minutes and finally found the park. There was nobody there though and it got really chilly. "Let's go eat by the bench over there." My father suggested.

I followed my parents and we began eating. My mother packed sandwiches, kimbap, some kimchi, and water bottles. "Honey it looks like there's some stores here. We should check them out."

I ignored their conversation and continued eating my food. It was lonely even when I was with my parents. I took my phone out and checked my messages. None of my friends had replied back to me. They're probably doing something together right now. It is the first Friday of the month. I sighed and continued eating. My mind was blank and I just stared out into the distance. It was weird how there was nobody here at the park. Maybe because it got chilly and their parents didn't want them to be out.

"Mijoo you ready to explore?" My mother asks me as she got up. She dusted her palms on her pants. I wanted to say no but it's not like they'll listen anyways.

"Sure." I answered and got up as well.

 

author's comments

Sorry for the long wait for this chapter. I've been waiting on my editor to edit mystory. She's so slowwwww. But it's okay because she's just my sister. Do check her out because she has some amazng stories. You can view her profile right here. Anyways I also wanted to tell you guys that I changed my main male character to Jungkook from Bangtan. Let me know what you guys think of the story so far. Feel free to leave some feedbacks and remember to subscribe, commrnent, and/or upvote if you like my story. Thanks so much!