Chapter 28

Ghost Husband

  Hello my little kittens. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to update earlier. I've been busy this week, including taking two of my cats to the vet. My girl cat has arthritis so she now gets a pill. Here's a longer chapter and I'll try to get the rest up as soon as I can,

 

 

  Whatever Hykjae had in mind to do with Donghae when they got home was ruined by Nat, who bared her teeth and nipped whenever they did more than kiss and cuddle. He was pretty sure he'd never jerked off so much before in his life over the next few days. He wouldn't have hurt or pressured his husband for the world, but he couldn't seem to help his body's reactions to the y, playful ghost who was starting to seem more and more interested, though still shy over the idea.
  Hyukjae and Donghae's first few days home wasn't all ual frustration though. Their days were spent at the dance studio, where the story of their performance had spread like wildfire and demands for repeats left the ghost with a job offer should he ever want one. Not wanting to refuse outright or explain his state of non mortality, Donghae just ducked his head and said he'd think about it.
  The couple spent their evenings wandering around, getting Donghae used to his own people again, even if it wasn't where he'd grown up. They shopped, picking out things for their apartment, met their friends for dinner, and just spent time together, without Nat butting in. Hyukjae even took his husband to the little theater where he performed, and the ghost was just as enchanted as the mortal thought he would be.
  Three days after their return from Japan saw the couple getting ready for their wedding reception. Well, Hyukjae was. Donghae was on his favorite perch on the kitchen counter, dressed in nice slacks and a button down shirt, nervously chewing his bottom lip.
  "Aren't you ready yet Hyukkie?" The ghost called out, unable to stand the wait any longer. Hyukjae had promised him a surprise, and Donghae was so curious he thought he might explode.
  "Almost Hae. Be patient just a few minutes longer my beloved Fishy."
  Hyukjae had dismissed his students early so everyone could go home and get ready for the party. As soon as he and Donghae had gotten home he locked himself in the bathroom and warned his husband not to pop in and spoil what he was hoping the ghost would like. It had taken longer than he expected, but he was finally finished.
  "Ready Hae?"
  "Yes!"
  "Okay then. Close your eyes. I'm coming out."
  Now more curious than ever, Donghae obediantly closed his eyes. "I'm ready Hyukkie!" Clenching his fists on his thighs, the ghost nearly quivered in anticipation, until he felt Hyukjae's hands close over his own,
  "Relax Hae. You can open your eyes now."
  Donghae looked up, only to have his jaw drop. Instead of the red, which he'd liked but admitted had not only grown out some but had faded, Hyukjae's hair was now a glowing blonde, which was made even more noticeable by the eyeliner and simple black clothes the mortal wore.
  "Like it? Sorry I took so long. I didn't realize the bleach had to sit for what seemed like forever."
  "It's, it's" Unable to think of what he wanted to say, Donghae launched himself off the counter and wrapped himself around his husband, who smiled and snuggled the ghost close as he started to pepper his face with kisses.
  "I take it you approve then?"
  Donghae gently touched the cloud of hair on Hyukjae's head. "It's beautiful" the ghost finally managed to get out. "I think you're even hotter than before, which I didn't know was possible. I'll have to stay close, or someone might try to steal you away." He pecked his husband's lips and tried to pull away in embarassment, only to have the mortal pull him closer and into a proper kiss.
  After a few minutes, Hyukjae needed to breathe, so just snuggled Donghae to him. "I'm glad you like it Hae. You think I'm hot too, huh? Well, I happen to know a certain Fishy who's far ier." They might have been late to their own reception, if Nat hadn't shown up and chomped him in the ankle.
  "Dammit pest! What is your problem?" Hyukjae released Donghae and bent to rub his ankle. Nat just gave him a doggie smirk.
  "Fine, have it your way!"
  Now limping slightly, Hyukjae made sure he had everything and picked up the boxful of presents for the couple's friends and his students. Donghae held onto his arm so he could lock the door and the three of them headed down to the car. After stowing the box in the backseat, the mortal slid behind the wheel and with the ghost, with Nat in his lap, next to him and holding his hand, drove back to the dance studio.
  "Ooh Hyukkie! Look!" In the few hours the couple had been gone, the little studio had been transformed on the outside into a wonderland of tiny white lights and red hearts and roses. "I bet Wookie designed this! It looks like his work."
  The effect should have been cheesy, but Hyukjae agreed it was beautiful. "It's stunning, but not as stunning as a certain excited husband of mine."
  "Cheeseball" Donghae grinned and pecked Hyukjae on the cheek. The couple and Nat got out of the car and went to get the box out of the car, only to be greeted by Shindong running up.
  "It's about time you two got here. Nice hair Eunhyuk. I'll get that box and pass everything out. Everyone's been waiting to greet the happy couple. Well, except your mother but she hasn't been too bad so far. Go, show off the missus." Shindong easily hefted the box onto his shoulder and shooed the pair off.
  "Did Chullie and Sungmin make it?" Donghae wanted to know.
  "They're around here somewhere. Even Yoona managed to turn up."
  "Hae's my mister, but thanks Shindong. Where's your other half?"
  "Last I saw her, she and Yoona were helping the horndogs with the food. I gather Kyuhyun and Yesung drugged Ryeowook slightly so there wouldn't be any "incidents." He's a fantastic cook, but that libido of his..."
  "We know. Thanks Shindong. Well, come on Hae. He's right, I do want to show you off."
  With Donghae on his arm and Nat at their heels, Hyukjae steered his husband toward the building, greeting people along the way.
  As soon as the couple stepped inside, some of the kids dragged them over to a long table that was piled high with presents.
  "Nice hair! Mister Shindong said he and Mister Kangin said they'd drop them off so you could open everything at your apartment Mister and Mister Lee. We just wanted to show you."
  "Thank you everyone. Now, have any of you seen a very pretty man with shoulder length reddish hair and probably in the company of another man who kind of looks like a rabbit?"
  "We saw the bunny man, but he's with a lady."
  "Maybe Chullie is dressed like Rella tonight?" Donghae whispered.
  "It's possible. Do you see Kangin or Leeteuk?"
  "Not yet."
  Thanking the students again, the couple set off to look for their friends. Hyukjae spotted Yoona who was talking animatedly with a pretty girl he explained was Shindong's girlfriend and that they'd been friends for almost as long and he and Yoona had.
  "I still don't see anyone Hyukkie!" Donghae whined as the couple joined the buffet line. Hyukjae's stomach had started growling so he wanted to get some food before they continued to circulate.
  "We will. They might be working behind the scenes and that's why. It was very kind of them to do all this for us."
  "That's true." Donghae took Hyukjae's arm and wrapped it around his own waist, then picked up a plate for the mortal to fill.
  After the mortal piled his plate high, Hyukjae and Donghae spent a few minutes talking to Ryeowook, who was slightly groggy and dressed as Madam Kim, and his boyfriends, which made the ghost happier now that he'd seen people he really knew. They were joined by Kangin and Leeteuk, the former cooing over the couple while the others teased the mortal over his new hair.
  "Why is this dumpy place decorated like a cheap bordello? Why are we here? Is Hyukjae finally going to get a real job?" Missus Lee's voice could clearly be heard over the general  mix of voices.
  Hyukjae rolled his eyes while Donghae patted his arm and their friends looked sympathetic.
  "I wondered when Mother was going to make her presence known. I'm just grateful everyone knows not to listen to a thing she says. Come on Hae, let's go say hello and run interference before my boss tosses her out for being rude."
  "Okay Hyukkie."
  After saying goodbye to their friends, Hyukjae and Donghae followed Missus Lee's voice, carefully threading their way through the little groups of people, who shook their heads in disbelief. Hyukjae's mother was infamous and nobody could believe he attitude toward her own sweet, talented son.
  Hyukjae's parents stood by themselves, Missus Lee clinging to her husband's arm as she continued her rant, only quieting at the couple's approach, since she hadn't seen her son or son in law since they'd been picked up from the airport.
  "Hello Father, Mother, how are you this evening?" Hyukjae greeted his parents as he and Donghae bowed.
  "Hello my sons. We're quite well. How are you two enjoying your night? I'm impressed at the turnout. Are all those children your students?"
  "It's so touching how many supporters we have. We haven't seen everyone yet though. Yes they are, and they are all amazing. We might be small, but the boss has an eye for talent."
  "How are you and Donghae getting along?"
  "Quite well, except when the pest gets into a biting mood."
  Nat had disappeared into the crowd to investigate, only to reappear at the word "pest." She gave Hyukjae a doggie smirk before giving a doggie smile to Mister Lee and going to sniff his shoes.
  "Well hello again. How are you girl?" Mister Lee bent down and let Nat sniff his fingers before gently patting the ghost puppy's head.
  "Lee Hyukjae! What on earth have you done to your hair? And why are you wearing eyeliner? Men don't wear makeup!"
  Hyukjae calmly took his last bite of food and tossed his now empty plate into the nearest trashcan as he chewed and swallowed before answering his mother.
  "I bleached my hair Mother, because I was tired of the red and also because I thought Donghae would like it. Judging by his reaction earlier, he did. I'm wearing eyeliner because it makes my eyes stand out more. Makeup isn't just for women. Men like to look pretty too."
  "Pretty, and y my ert monkey," Donghae whispered into Hyukjae's ear, which earned him a peck on the nose.
  "Why are you still with that, boy? He needs to leave so you can find a wife and have children!"
  "Mother, Donghae is my husband and I'm very happy with him. If he never leaves so much the better."
  "Don't be silly. If he was a decent person he'd leave so you can be truly happy with a wife and children."
  "Missus Lee, Mother, are you ever going to understand your son?" Donghae tried to be as polite as possible, but even he had his limits. he giggled as Hyukjae pulled him close and pecked his nose again.
  "Stop that Lee Hyukjae! People are going to get the wrong idea about you and that boy! It's indecent!"
  "Everyone knows about Donghae and me already, and it's not indecent to kiss my husband. They wouldn't be here at our wedding reception if they weren't supportive of my y Fishy and me"
  "Stop that my darling Monkey ert" Donghae giggled, pecking Hyukjae's cheek in return.
  "You need a wife and a wedding ceremony before you can have a reception! Get rid of that boy and I'll have your exorcised, then I'll help you find a wife so you can have a wedding and a real reception, not this slapdash, shoddy thing."
  "I don't need an exorcism, and quit insulting the decorations. Kangin and Shindong and our friends worked hard, and we both think it's beautiful. Just because it's not your idea of how things should be doesn't mean it's wrong!"
  "Don't raise your voice at me Lee Hyukjae!"
  Hyukjae was about to retort when Donghae squealed. The ghost had just seen Heechul, who was indeed dressed as Rella, arm and arm with Sungmin and followed by Ryeowook, who was looking more awake, and his boyfriends.
  "Chullie! Over here!" The ghost pulled away and waved his arms excitedly, causing the little group to change direction.
  "Oh good, Rella is here. Maybe if you're very nice to her she'll forgive this nonsense and take you back."
  "Hello Eunhae!" the ghost matchmaker greeted loudly before turning to Missus Lee. "For censored's sake woman, open your eyes. The monkey and fish are happily married, and I'm not a girl!"
  "Why would Madam Kim match you two if you weren't? Don't tell me Hyukjae has you convinced of his nonsense as well. I'm so sorry dear. Will you please forgive him and make him happy?"
  Heechul rolled his eyes. "He's happy with the fish, and everyone is happy for them. I'm not a girl and neither is Wookie and we'll prove it!" He grabbed Ryeowook's hand and pulled him onto the nearest table. He pulled out a cordless mic from somewhere in his clothing and switched it on.
  "Hello everyone! May I have your attention please! My name is Kim Heechul, and I'm a specialty matchmaker who works in Japan. This is Kim Ryeowook, who matchmakes for same- couples here in Korea. Does everyone know why you're here tonight?"
  A loud chorus of "to celebrate Mister and Mister Lee's marriage" and "because Hyukaje finally got a man!" rang out.
  "That's right! You all, even the youngest children, understand the monkey is gay and is married to the fish. I know this for certain because I brought them together and witnessed their marriage, in my own home slash place of business. Now, there is one person here who either can't, or won't understand that. Do you know who that is?"
  Again a chorus yelled, this time with "Missus Lee!"
  "You guys are so smart. Now, I don't know how else to convince her that Eunhyuk has no interest in women, is already married, and the only children he wants are his students. She also insists that Wookie here and I are women, just because dresses tend to be more comfortable. Now, do we seem like women to you?"
  This time the answer was a mix of "yes," "no," and "I don't know but you two are awfully pretty."
  "Fair enough. Well, there is one way to prove we are in fact men. If you're a child or weak of heart I suggest you close your eyes."
  Heechul gave the crowd a few moments to situate themselves before he and Ryeowook started stripping as fast as possible. In less than a minute they were down to their shoes and tight little briefs that did nothing to hide their maleness. The pair turned to Missus Lee, who was gawping like a stranded fish.
  "There. You understand now woman? I have a , Wookie has a . We're just as gay as your son. My husband recently passed over, and those two looking to pounce are Ryeowook's boyfriends. Is this enough, or should we strip completely?"
  Rather than answer, Missus Lee fainted.
  "Interesting friends you have Hyukjae. Do they do that often?" Mister Lee sounded amused as he scooped up his wife. "I think they made their point. I'll take her home, and you two enjoy the rest of your night. Thank you for the presents. They're beautiful."
  "Goodnight Father, and no, not often" the couple said as Mister Lee got ready to leave.
  By the time Hyukjae and Donghae had turned back to their friends, Ryeowook had already been dragged off by his boyfriends. Heechul looked smug as he picked up the discarded clothing.
  "Well that was unexpected Heechul. I thought strippers were for bachelor parties, not wedding receptions." Hyukjae commented.
  "Put some pants on Chullie!"
  "Why? I'm quite comfortable and the kids already saw everything. Lighten up fish."
  "Only Hyukkie gets to call me fish!" Donghae might have said more, but he squealed again and ran off instead to pounce on the only other being he could touch.
  "Wonnie!"
  Mister Lee set his wife on her feet since she'd woken up. "Friend of Donghae's?"
  Heechul muttered behind the Lees. "What the censored is that stupid horse doing here? I need a drink or seven."
  "I'm not sure what Siwon is exactly, but he's the one who married me to Donghae. He also manages to drive Heechul to drink whenever he's around. He can't stand the man for some reason, but I don't know why. Siwon's very nice."
  "Stupid, idiot horse" Heechul stomped off, clothes in his arms.
  "You really like Donghae don't you son?" Mister Lee asked Hyukjae, who was watching his husband interact with his friend.
  "More than anyone I've ever thought I liked before. He's everything I ever wanted. Well, except the being alive part, but that really hasn't been difficult to get used to."
  Donghae bounced back over as Siwon disappeared. "Wonnie wanted to know how we were doing and if we'd figured out my unfinished business yet, but then he had to go."
  "Pity, I wanted to say hello."
  "Well boys, as I said earlier enjoy the rest of your night. We really should be getting home."
  "Goodnight Father" the couple chorused.
  Hyukjae and Donghae mingled for a couple more hours and managed to talk to all their friends, til the party started winding down and the mortal started getting tired. Nat had disappeared again at some point, so they said goodnight and headed home, only to pass out as soon as they'd stripped and Hyukjae set out the bedding.

  Hyukjae became far more popular after Heechul and Ryeowook's stunt at the wedding reception, which wasn't necessarily a good thing. People he didn't know who had heard from guests kept coming up to him and asking if he was really friends with the crazy strippers. He picked up a few new dance students as well, and Ryeowook ended up with new clients who hadn't known there was a matchmaker for homouals. The mortal had been more than happy to direct people to his friend. Heechul and Sungmin had gone back to Japan right after the reception, taking Leeteuk with them so they hadn't gotten a chance to visit. The other thing he didn't like was he no longer was able to spend time with Donghae, just the two of them. Hyukjae's boss finally suggested he take a few more days off and take his husband on a trip, which suited them fine as the ghost said he was ready to see his mother.
  Kangin had dropped Heechul and company at the airport then stopped by the married couple's apartment to bring them some of their presents before they left for work. His comment to Leeteuk leaving was, "Jungsoo is sweet and all, but men really aren't my style. He's going to see if one of Heechul's ghosts suit him better."
  When Hyukjae asked who Jungsoo was, Donghae grinned. "It's Teukie's real name. He just never uses it."
  Shindong had come by the night before the couple left with the rest of their presents and the report of his girlfriend running off with Yoona.
  Donghae grabbed Hyukjae's hand so he could hug the big man. "I'm sorry" the ghost said.
  "Don't be. I knew she was biual, and Yoona is hot. I can't blame her. Kangin and I are going to try a matchmaking service ourselves. It worked for you two. Ryeowook recommended a few."
  Mister Lee dropped in as Hyukjae was packing to see his son and son in law off and give them an update.
  "Your mother started raving and trying to hurt herself, so she's in the hospital now. They're keeping her sedated and her psychiatrist is trying to work with her. I didn't say anything because you two needed some peace, though from what Kangin has said you haven't gotten any."
  "Which is one of the many reasons we're taking this trip. I'm sorry about Mother."
  "Don't be. I'm fairly certain most of it is just a stunt since she can't have her own way. I think your friends have finally gotten it through her thick head and now she's going to be a brat. I'm not saying she doesn't have problems, but I'm not worried if she wants to pout in a hospital room for a while. When are you boys leaving?"
  "As soon as my laundry finishes drying. It's a long drive."
  "Yes it is. It's beautiful though. You two have a safe trip and give my regards to Donghae's mother."
  "We will."
  After Mister Lee left, Hyukjae went to get his laundry and finish packing. Nat, who they hadn't seen since the reception popped in, looking eager.
  "Oh no! Not you!"
  The little ghost puppy gave Hyukjae a doggie smirk and happily trotted behind the couple as they headed for the car. The mortal was happy to finally be able to greet his mother in law, but he was going to miss the home he and his husband had made. The small apartment was now painted a warm burgundy that brought out the woodwork and made it seem even cozier. There were a few pictures of fish on the walls that Donghae had picked out, and rag rugs scattered on the floor. Since Missus Park had insisted on cooking lessons, there was actual cookware in the tiny kitchen area, with some simple recipe books on the counter. The gifts they'd recieved and the things they'd bought in Japan were tucked here and there.
  "You okay Hyukkie?" Donghae asked as soon as they were settled in the car, Nat in his lap.
  "Yeah. I'm just going to miss our little nest. How are you doing?"
  "Excited to see Ma, but I'm nervous too. I hope she doesn't have a heart attack."
  Hyukjae reached for his husband's hand and laced their fingers together. "I'm sure she'll be okay from what you've said."
  Donghae didn't say much the entire drive to Mokpo. He just rested his head on Hyukjae's shoulder, only rousing himself to give directions once they were close. The mortal squeezed the ghost's hand in comfort as he pulled into the driveway. The house was much smaller than the one he'd grown up in, but looked comfortable, with flowers all over and a tangle of shoes on the porch.
  "I'm scared Hyukkie. Ever since Dad died and my older brother ran off, now me..."
  This was the first time Hyukjae had heard of an older brother, but chose not to comment. He just smiled cheerfully, climbed out of the car, opened Dongahe's door and offered him his hand again, which the ghost clung onto.
  "Maybe this is your unfinished business Hae. We don't know where your body ended up. If she doesn't know what happened, don't you think your mother deserves closure?"
  "I didn't think of that. Your phone is charged though in case we have to call an ambulance, right?"
  "Yes my darling Fishy, but I doubt it'll come to that."
  Hand in hand, with Nat following behind, the couple headed up to knock on the door, which was opened by a short woman with greying hair pulled into a bun, dressed in slacks and a bright yellow sweater. Donghae tightened his hold on Hyukjae's hand at the sight of his mother. Before he could say a word she smiled.
  "Donghae! You're awake! The hospital didn't call me! Are you sure you should be walking around after being in a coma for five years? Who's your friend? Or, is he one of your doctors I haven't met? I'm sorry I haven't been to visit all week, my car has been broken and is in the shop. Come in, come in my son!"
  "Hospital?" the couple asked in unison.

  Dun dun dun! You didn't really think our darling Fishy was dead did you? I told you, I'm addicted to happy endings,