Unless

Simple Joys

Zitao heard the door open with a crunch and shut with a loud bang. He hurriedly stood up from the office chair to greet his partner.

 

“Fan-fan!” he cried. But from a distance, he could see a scowl on his face suggesting a rough day at work.

 

Zitao kissed Yifan’s cheek with a slight pout on his face. 

 

“What’s the matter?”

 

Yifan grunted in response. He’s in a really bad mood, Zitao thought.

 

“Come” Zitao held Yifan’s hand as he led him to the sofa. Yifan sat bonelessly, his stress on work taking a toll over him. Zitao sat next to him and held his hand. “So, what’s the matter?” he asked again.

 

Yifan closed his eyes and took a deep breath, still unable to respond. Zitao, then, changed the topic.

 

“Have you eaten yet? We still have some leftovers from last night”, he told him.

 

“I ate already”, Yifan finally said.

 

Zitao, delighted with his reply, pushed further. “So what did you eat?”

 

“Some Chinese fast food. I didn’t really enjoy the food since we were rushed to get back to the office to finish the goddamn paperworks” Yifan huffed.

 

Zitao’s mouth formed an O.

 

“Well, the thing is,” Yifan continued. “I was supposed to go home early – even earlier than you – until this boss showed up and ruined my evening”

 

Zitao nodded motioning Yifan to go along, to pour out all his stress in his words.

 

“He gave out new tasks to be passed two hours later! Can you believe that?!” he sighed.

 

“Well at least, you finished it already” Zitao said while massaging Yifan’s long slender fingers.

 

“Right”

 

Zitao reached for Yifan’s forehead, massaging it with care.

 

“Mmm” Yifan relaxed his muscles. He closed his eyes and released a steady breathing.

 

Zitao was sure Yifan dozed off until he saw him cracked his left eye open to take a peek.

 

“I thought you were tired?” Zitao said, stopping from the massage.

 

“I thought so too” Yifan replied.

 

“Well then, go to bed” Zitao told him as both of them stood up.

 

“I won’t. Unless…” Yifan said slowly walking towards Zitao.

 

“Unless what?” Zitao asked, his face craned upward as to look in the eye of his partner.

 

“Unless…” Yifan s his arms around Zitao’s waist, pulling him closer. He bent down his head to Zitao’s ear, “you sleep with me”