And This Is How It Went

Black and Gray Morality

“So is eating your clients’ housewarming gifts something you always do, or…?”

She shot a look over Chanyeol's kitchen table at his -eating smirk, momentarily wishing the others hadn’t left to ‘give them some time to reunite.’ “I figured someone should enjoy them while they’re still warm, is all..." she said around the perfectly sweetened confection in , one of the ones that had been intended as a housewarming gift from her mother to their new (read: old) neighbors. Besides, who do you think you are, just waltzing back in here after six months like this?”

“I think I’m the son of the homeowners.”

“That’s… Well, touché,” she ceded, “but that’s not what I meant! …You didn’t call, or message…”

“Awww, did little Yeon-hee miss Channie? You didn’t cry again, did you?”

“Like I would!” she snapped. He reeled back, raising his hands in the air, looking slightly hurt, causing her to sigh and run her fingers through her hair to bring herself down from her flustered state. “I’m sorry… and I know you’re very busy, especially with the new album, and the repackage, and…” She suddenly looked up from where she was staring sheepishly at the water bottle on the table to meet Chanyeol’s gaze, which flashed surprise. “Are you really that same little boy?”

His startled look melted into a softer one. “Yes, I am that same little boy who protected you from the monsters under your bed.”

If her cheeks weren’t red already, they certainly were becoming so as she remembered the sleepover during which Grandpa Chan had told the duo that terrifying bedtime story. “T-that was only one time! Besides, at least I didn’t wet the bed!”

It was the other’s turn to be flustered. “I told you, I fought the monster while you were sleeping and it oozed ectoplasm on me!”

“Uh-huh, I’m sure-“

“ANYWAY, that little boy wants to apologize.”

For some reason, this comment managed to catch her completely off-guard. Her eyes widened, her eyebrows rose, and parted slightly, forming a surprised “O”.

“It’s like you said, I was so busy, but all I could think about was getting done with these promotions as quickly as possible so I could come back here. Every time I thought about messaging you, I thought it would make being apart too painful, so I didn’t. I know it was selfish, but I have to ensure I can put my all into EXO.”

“Chan-yeol…”

“So let me make it up to you. Let’s go on a date. I’ll tell the guys to clean the house for you.”

‘What!? He didn’t even apologize, he just gave an excuse, and now he’s just automatically assuming I’ll forgive him and go on a date, and that I’ll even be in the mood to go! Not to mention the fact that he’s going to make the others do my job!? The nerve of this guy! He’s about to get a tongue-lashing from Hell!‘

“…Say please.”

“Pleeease?”

“Fine. But I still haven’t completely forgiven you.”


“OH GOD IT WAS PERFEEECT!”

“I always wondered how these super famous men get away with dating,” Ga-eun said as she watched Yeon-hee roll around in the sheets and pillows of her now unmade bed. “Going to less populated areas seems like such an obvious answer now. Anyway, I take getting to spend the whole day with him was worth the wait?”

“Totally! Oh, hold on.” Somewhere in the mess of sheets, she felt her phone vibrate. "Who’s calling me at this hour?”

“Probably lover boy,” Ga-eun giggled.

“Oh hush,” she chided, turning her attention back to the phone. The smirk on her face instantly faded when she read the name it displayed.

“It’s Min-hwan!”

Ga-eun’s expression twisted in confusion until it matched that of her friend. “What could he want?”

“How should I know!?” she hissed before accepting the call. “Hello?”

“Hello? Yeon-hee?”

At the request of the word Ga-eun was mouthing, she put the call on speaker. “Yes? What’s up?”

“I wanted to know, if you’re not busy, would you go on a date with me tomorrow night?”

The faces of both girls fell ashen white, the only action they could muster staring at one another.

“That guy from EXO isn’t really your boyfriend, right? …Hello?”

“Well… no, he’s not, but…”

“Well, then is there a problem?”

“I, uh… I mean, no, but…” her eyes flashed toward Ga-eun’s for help. Nothing was received but a clueless shrug.

“Oh, I see. You like that EXO guy, don’t you.”

She wasn’t sure how to respond.

“Honestly, I’m not dense. I was afraid this might be the case, so I didn’t come to the table empty-handed. Y’know, something interesting happened the other day. My phone broke and I had to have the phone company recover my data onto a CD. I was going through the files and found an old LINE video call of him saying he’s your boyfriend.”

“…And?” she said, hoping the uncertainty inside hadn’t been reflected in her voice.

“I don’t think it would be very good for him if anyone else saw this, don’t you agree?”

Her gaze darkened. “Are you blackmailing me?”

“Go on a date with me and I won’t have to.”

She could feel her cheeks begin to flush, but not in the usual flustered manner. Her blood was beginning to boil. “Even if I went on one date with you, then what? What exactly does that accomplish? Are you confident enough to think I’ll fall in love with you in one date?”

“You were already in love with me. All I have to do is remind you why.”

The fury inside her lapsed for a moment at his cockiness, before doubling as tears of rage began to fill her eyes.

“So? You go on a date with me, or this video finds its way into the hands of the wrong people. Which will it be?”

“Now hold on just a damn second!”

“Huh? Who’s that?”

“Her best friend. And like hell I’m going to sit back and listen to you blackmail her. Where were you in high school when she was pining over you and you would only refer to her as ‘that weird red-faced girl’? Now you want to date her so badly that you’d resort to this? Give me a break!”

“Look, I don’t know why you’re in on this, but-“

“I’m in on it because first of all, who do think your no-name self is compared to Park Chanyeol!? No, that doesn’t even matter. Yeon-hee doesn’t love Park Chanyeol, she loves Chan. And he loves her; he always has, red cheeks and all, unlike you. Secondly, Yeon-hee is a kind girl. Too kind for you, and definitely too kind not to get herself mixed up in your mess, so I’m letting her know with you: She’s. Not. Interested. Isn’t that right, Yeon-hee?”

She blinked up at Ga-eun, who had taken the phone in her hand and was pacing angrily back and forth across the room. Yeon-hee was unaware until now that the tears had welled up to the flowing point.

“Tell him!” Ga-eun shouted, shoving the phone in her friend’s face.

“Mm… Mmhmm.”

“Say the whole thing!”

“I… I’m not interested.”

“Louder!”

“I’m not interested!”

“Yeon-hee-“

“I said I’m not interested! And don’t call back, either!”

“…Suit yourself.”

After a second and a half of silence, the call was terminated. After another half-second, Yeon-hee began sobbing, face fire-engine-red.

“Ga-eun! What am I going to do?”

“Hm? Do?”

“He’s going to share that video!”

She sniffled loudly, but Yeon-hee swore she heard a chuckle from Ga-eun at the same time.

“Why are you laughing at a time like this!?”

“Oh my dear, dear Yeon-hee.” She sat down next to her, taking her in her arms and resting her head on her shoulder. “There’s a lot you have yet to learn. Boys like him are all talk. You might be who he wants now, but he’ll have found another girl to pursue by the end of the week. And sure, he’ll be mad you rejected him, but he’s not petty enough to actually mess with you or Chanyeol. Trust me on this one. Have I ever steered you wrong?”


“I see.” Kai gave a long sigh. “Incheon Gal… You should have called us first so we could figure out how to deal with it together.”

“Please don’t tell Chanyeol…” she whispered.

“It’s… a little too late for that.”

In the background, the sound of something crashing to the ground and angry grunting could be heard.

“Chanyeol, don’t-!”

“Hey, Yeon-hee?” Chanyeol’s voice came through clearly, an indication that he’d taken the phone off speaker. “You’re fired. And I don’t want you coming over here again, got it?”

With that, the line went dead. And with it, Yeon-hee’s heart.