A Beautiful Stranger

The Angel of Death

Angels are beautiful creatures, most of them were created to protect and guide human beings. Yoon Junghan was an angel, a very beautiful and enticing one. He had long silky brown hair and a set of icy cold deep brown eyes, his porcelain skin contrasted with his red lips. His large fine feather wings that looked different than others around him, they were pitch-black. Everything about him was very tempting and alluring sight for everyone not only angels themselves but also human.

Junghan had always been a good angel but he just looked different, well….he was different. Some of them kind wanted to be like him but others were scared of him. He did not look scary but his power was something to be feared off. At his young age of 200, he became very high ranking angel as he mostly...mostly completed all tasks. There was only one particular case he could not do; it was his first mission…a test that he failed miserably.

.

.

.

Joshua, an acoustic artist was at his home today. He spent most of his time either writing music, composing, playing his guitar or drawing. His favorite hobby at all time, drawing made him felt calm and relax. Every time he picked up his paintbrush and started painting, it gave him serenity. His arts were full of views and his thoughts; they were just like him soft, gentle and kind. But noticed well enough, there were some completed artworks which were covered with white clothes always sat next to his stool. These portraits were precious to him, he did remember partly about the person on picture but neither the name nor anything about him but the beautiful angel-like face was imprinted on his mind and even showed up in his recent dreams. Joshua closed his eyes remembering the day...exactly today 20 years ago when he was only eleven.

.

.

.

.

It was sunny day in LA when a little boy ran around the garden in his own home, kicking plastic ball which rolling on grass floor. The little face looked up and stopped when his brown eyes saw a pretty stranger at the front door. In Joshua mind, he never saw anyone either boys or girls this beautiful before, it was like this stranger had an aura surrounding his body. The beautiful slim figure stared back at the boy with curious eyes and disappointing face expression, he thought.

"Hello kid" The beautiful stranger called out with light airy sound, the voice fitted him perfectly.

"Yes?"

"Why are you playing by yourself?" His pretty face did not have any feeling while asking, Joshua noticed. But still the little boy could not move away, it was like something pulled him toward the stranger then his legs started walking.

"I..I don't know, I don't have many friends around" The small boy said honestly, he did not have many friends, just a few close friends who were his neighbor.

"So do I" The pretty face said flatly, his dark brown eyes were a little sad saying that out so Joshua decided that he would like to make that pretty face smiled better.

"Do you want to play with me?" The young boy smiled back before offered the round football to the pretty stranger. Surprised flashed on an emotionless face and then those red lips curled into small smile. It was such a nice smile for the young boy.

"Your parents will allow you to play with a stranger like me?"

"You look like a good person so they should be ok!" Joshua confirmed loudly, but it made the angel face boy had that expression again...Sad? Hurt? The 11 years old boy could not describe either. But before the beautiful boy answered, Joshua parents called from inside their house, in a split second when the small face looked back, the stranger already disappeared like Joshua had been there alone all along. The young boy tried to look around again but no sight of the angel face so he gave up and walked back to his house wishing to meet the pretty long hair boy again.

His wish did not come true until a week later on Sunday when he saw the beautiful face sat on the bench outside the church. His long hair now tied up into ponytail and he was looking at people walked by. Joshua ran to approach the no name stranger and sat down next to him.

"It's really you! I thought I will never get to see you again!" The bright kid talked cheerfully, brought up smile on pretty face next to him.

"Don't you want to go in the church, the ceremony is about to start" The boy continued enthusiastically.

"I cannot" He answered calmly with soft smile plastered on his face.

"Why??"

"...." The long hair boy did not reply, he just stared blankly at the community church in front of him.

"Sorry I probably ask too many questions"

"It's ok Joshua"

"How do you know my name?"

"I heard your parents called you the other day" Joshua decided to trust the stranger completely, he did not question anything more but only stared at pretty boy next to him.

"You are beautiful just like an angel" The boy said straight forward to the pretty face. His little finger pointed at the angel sculptures on the church walls. Again the beautiful stranger smiled but it was such a sad smile.

“Thank you”

“I have to go! Will I get to see you again?? Mr. Angel” That brought a little chuckle from the name he was called, the stranger nodded and waved a goodbye to the boy who ran back to his parents. His parents looked at the stranger fearfully, there was something about him that made them pulled their son away as soon as they could.

Every Sunday, the little boy will wait outside the church to meet with the stranger and it had been two weeks but the boy still did not know his name. He noticed that this beautiful stranger always wore black long t-shirt and black jeans or leather pants. Besides that was a silver ring, he had a ring on his pinky finger, never removed as it was a part of his life. 

“Good Morning Mr. Angel”

“Good Morning Joshua”

“How are you today?” the cheerful boy asked with bright smile.

“I am well, how are you? But I guess you are always happy”

“Yes I am! Especially today when I get to see you” Again the pretty boy sighed softly, he did not look bored or depressed but sometimes Joshua thought that these big brown eyes were empty like he had no soul but other time the stranger looked really happy.

“Joshua! Don’t talk to that boy!!” His mom walked out and grabbed the boy’s arm forcefully; she really wanted her son to stay away from this pretty boy. She sensed something from this person, something unusual, and something more than friendly conversation. Once she dropped the little boy with his father, she came back to the long hair boy right away. Her face was pleading and it was the face he often saw.

“Please don’t take my son away”

“…….” The beautiful boy did not say anything back, he just walked away leaving the poor mother sank down on the floor crying.

.

.

.

From that day on, Joshua was not allowed to go to the church nor played outside his house anymore. He was told that it was very dangerous outside and there was a kidnapper took away small children from their home.

“Mom I want to play with my friends”

“You can’t Joshua, not right now not until it is your birthday”

“But why??? I am bored” The boy protested; he wanted to go running, playing football or do something. Suddenly, his mom grabbed his shoulder and stared right at him.

“Joshua you are a good boy, you have to listen to mom right?” The smiley boy nodded.

“Yes mom”

“Just a few more days…and you can go out to play with you friends alright son?” The boy nodded again obediently. He went back to his room and practiced guitar like every day, his small hand did not reach the cord quite well just yet but it did not stop him from trying. He sighed to himself again while looking out the window, nice weather and sunshine it was supposed to be outing day for him but he stuck here in his room alone. The little boy walked closer to the window, he opened the window to get a fresh air but his eyes spot a slim figure standing under the shade of big tree opposite his house.

“Mr. Angel” The beautiful face looked up at the boy smiling then just walked away. Joshua wanted to follow but he could not, he did not want to break his mother’s rules. The gentle boy did what his mother told him until a day before his birthday when he was allowed to go to the church where his mother thought it was the safest place for him to be.

Like they predicted, the long hair boy was waiting in front of the church like every Sundays but never stepped in the place. The little Joshua wanted to say hi but he never had his chance.

It turned out to be that the ceremony almost took his young life away when the marble sculpture from the top of the church broke and fell down right on the little boy body. Joshua who was bleeding all over and was about to lose his consciousness. He opened his eyes and saw the most beautiful face stared right at him. The angel hand was cool on his skin; he murmured something that Joshua did not understand. Only last thing he remembered was the beautiful face with bloody tear in his eyes then it was all gone.

.

.

.

When he opened his eyes slowly some days, he wish to see that beautiful face again but it had been 20 years past so his hope was all lost. Joshua then came back and concentrated on his painting, he wanted to surprise his parents with the artwork. His hand started painting for hours but the picture came out to be the one who he was thinking about earlier.

“Why did I keep painting you, Mr. Angel” Soft voice talked to himself then smiled at the painting once again. People would think he was crazy but Joshua did not care, he looked at his brand new art again and left it there for drying. The slim body walked out to living room before opened the window for the sun to come in. He was just looking around but what surprised him was the familiar face he thought about a few minutes ago was right opposite his home. The beautiful stranger was standing across the road waiting to cross. His eyes opened wide in shock, maybe he was having a hallucination; the gentle boy did not need time to think as he ran out from his front door directly to the pretty boy with long hair.