| One |

| Landfill |
Jihye's POV
 
"You're lucky to be going here you know. I'm working my off just so you can get a good education. You get good grades and nothing else you hear? If you even drop lower then a C and you'll get it." My Mother's words were harsh and lacked sincerity. Though she speaks like this she didn't care at all.
 
At least not for me.
 
She only did this so she could brag to her friends about how her daughter goes to one of the top schools in the country. Otherwise I'd be going to some public school with gangs and teachers lacking the skill of teaching.
 
I sat quietly as she continued to rant about how her life was so hard. How she always has to cook and clean for me. How she spends her checks on clothes and food and now this. She wouldn't say it, only imply it, but she blames everything on me.
 
"Here we are. Now, be good. I don't want my name to be put under shame or embarrassment." No 'Have a good day' or 'Good luck.' Just throw me to the wolves with no means of protection. That's how it always was.
 
I tried to ignore the stares as I walked up the stares. I couldn't tell if they were good or bad but either way I didn't like it. Nothing was more anxiety-provoking then having unwanted attention.
 
When I got inside I walked to the office as fast as I could without earning weird stares. I was given my schedule and books then sent on my own to find my locker and class.
 
I took my time walking through the halls. Even after the bell had rung and the kids all scattered to their classes I continued on looking at all the posters and awards that were lined in the halls. Though my pace quickened as I thought of my Mother and the punishments she'd give me if I ever stepped out of line.
 
"Oh! Is that a new girl?"
 
"Yah, you've been here for a week and speak like you know everyone!"
 
Did they realize how loud they were?
 
"She's going to our class!"
 
Though they were being obnoxious their bickering amused me a little. I quickened my pass even more now just to get away from then to prevent a confrontation, if there were to be one.
 
The students all turned towards the door when I walked in. As soon as I made my appearance they all began to whisper. The teacher yelled at them in a rough voice to be quiet then turned to greet me. "Hello I'm your- Aye! You punks! You think you can just walk into my class late!"
 
Soon I was surrounded by three guys. I backed up to escape standing too close to two but ended up bumping into the third. He was towering over me with a wide smile. He had really defined cheekbones that looked as if they could cut someone with one touch and his eyes were lined with dark black eyeliner.
 
"Hello." His smile, though it seemed impossible, grew bigger. Now it seemed more creepy then friendly. I just nodded in acknowledgment and turned away quickly.
 
I wasn't good with such a close proximity.
 
I interrupted the quarrel between the two boys and the teacher, standing in front of them to stop them. "May I know where I sit, sir?" I asked politely. Standing in front of so many people wasn't on my list of interests.
 
The teacher looked dumbfounded with my words. Was it caused by my manners or maybe the lack of them when I interrupted him earlier, I didn't know.
 
"Ah uh yes. . You! Show her where the empty seat is." He pointed a finger at one of the boys then began mumbling curse words to himself. The boy looked at me with boredom then signaled with his hand to follow him. The other two followed behind me as we made our way over to the back of the class.
 
I kept my eyes on the back of the boy to prevent any eye contact with the watching students. Finally we stopped at the last row of desks. He pointed to a desk in the second to last row then sat in one diagonal to it.
 
"Thank you," My voice was quiet and unclear but he seemed to hear it fine when he gave a slight nod. I sat down in the desk and listened to the teacher ramble on about some historical event.
 
At this time I noticed my surroundings. The other two boys sat around my desk, the one with the wide smile siting behind me and the other beside me.
 
I sighed and rested my head on my hand. I hope they'll just sit quietly and just converse between themselves.
 
And they did. For the rest of the hour I wasn't bothered by anyone, I was thankful for that. But occasionally I could feel the burning feeling of being watched. From behind. Hopefully the boy wouldn't go any farther than looking.
 
I wanted to go quietly.
 
-
 
My day ending without any exciting events. The only thing that happened was I met a girl named Soo-Ah in one of my classes. She was my seat partner so naturally we talked and got to know each other. Of course not enough to spill our secrets to each other, even if we were I didn't like the thought of her knowing my secrets.
 
Opening up to someone could risk me losing the roof over my head and food on the table. And I needed that.
 
For now at least.
 
A/N Re-written bec of the dislike for the previous chapter