3- Broken Promises

Flowers of Incarnation
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

THREE.

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyeon’s POV

 

22th April 1980

 

            I stirred awake that morning when I felt a gentle tap on my arm. I opened my eyes to see my mom was sitting on the bed next to me, showing her motherly smile. My eyes hurt so bad that I couldn’t even focus on her face for too long. Why? It’s because I’ve been crying all night. Sehun had been missing since last week, and I couldn’t pretend like nothing happened. I think I shouldn’t get closed to anyone anymore, or else they’ll be taken away by the heartless soldiers. First dad, and now Sehun. This made me think that the real problem was me. I spread the bad luck.

 

“Don’t go to school today okay? Just rest at home.” Mom said.

“Why? It’s okay mom. I’m going to school.” I answered while getting my back off the bed.

“You don’t have to force yourself.” She added.

“I’m not. Don’t worry about me. Staying at home will stress me out even more.”

“Jiyeon… be strong, okay?”

“I will.” But my action was contrary to my words, because no matter how much I told myself to be strong; I could feel tears are forming.

“Don’t cry. You can do it my dear. If I can, you can too.”

 

I couldn’t bring myself to response to mom. I knew she referred to dad’s case. She lied. She’s been lying to me for more than one year. She pretended to be strong in front of me, but she cried in her sleep every night. I know she missed dad, because I do too. I knew she’s holding herself from showing the sadness in front of me. She faked a smile whenever I was around. She pretended to not remember when it’s dad’s birthday, but she cried holding his picture for the whole night. She worked so hard to hide everything, but I saw all those.

 

“I’m going to work first. Be careful.”

 

I nodded once as a reply. She curled the sweetest smile before she left. She’s the only one I got in this world now, please don’t take her away too.

 

---

 

            As usual, the journey to school had always been tense and rigid. I kept recalling the moment where Sehun was next to me, carrying my school bag, escorting me all the way, and smiling non-stop. Those were beautiful moments I would keep in heart till forever. Maybe I was asking too much when I hoped that he’d be by my side and protect me forever. Now look, I was hurting by myself. My heart hurts so badly every time the thoughts about all the possibilities of what’s happening to Sehun flashed in my mind.

I remember seeing the glints of happiness in his eyes when we first confessed each other’s feelings. He did leave a very deep impression in my heart, as my unforgettable first love. I promised I would never find someone better that could replace him in my heart, not in my next life, and not even in the afterlife. There’s only him.

 

 

-22th April 1980-

 

            My life is incomplete without you. I miss you, Sehun.

 

 

That’s the only thing I could write in today’s entry, because that was what I’ve been feeling for the past week since Sehun was taken away. Do you miss me like I do Sehun? What have they done to you? Were you still in this world or you’re already sent up there, where I couldn’t reach you? Don’t worry about me. I was doing great by myself now. I could survive all those cruel uniformed men even though you wouldn’t be around to protect me. I’ll try even though it seems impossible, even though it will pain me a lot, even though it’s obvious that I need you with me.

 

 

When the other students left for lunch, I was staying still at my chair. I stared blankly at the blackboard, imagining life without worries and concerns, wishing for a life without pains. But of course, these perfect lives don’t exist. We’re meant to go through this hardness to learn to be grateful, to be obliged with something while it’s still here rather than being regretful when it’s gone. Yes, life is that hard if you ask me. But it’s too hard for me to live on. I felt like giving up, very soon. I rested my head on the table, trying to take a break from all of the tiring thoughts.

 

“Park Jiyeon!”

 

Of course, it’s impossible. Now I even heard things. It felt like someone was calling for me. But the voice is too far, too far that I could barely hear it.

 

“Park Jiyeon!”

 

There it goes again. It sounded exactly like Sehun’s voice. So, you miss me too? Thanks for not forgetting me. Are you calling me from up the sky? I smiled to think that at least there’s a memory for us to keep wherever we were. I turned to the window right next to me and watched the clear blue sky, as if I saw Sehun’s image smiling up there. But then, my eyes caught something moving below. My eyes trailed down where I saw a familiar tall boy was standing down there, waving at me. He looked up with one of his palm hovering above his eyes, blocking the sunlight.

My body trembled to see Sehun was standing there, not wearing school uniform, but simple casual attire. His smile was shining so bright that my heart was beating fast. I didn’t just see things right? This wasn’t some imagination right? I opened the window and looked down where he’s standing. Say something Sehun, so something so I know this is real.

 

“Come with me, Jiyeon.”

 

My eyes formed tears of happiness. I grabbed my school bag and ran down the stairs, to the lower floor. I ran passed the students to the front yard. I dashed towards Sehun and now I could clearly see his bright smile and shining eyes even though with my eyes full of tears. I flew into his embrace and hugged his neck. His arms s around my waist and he hugged me back. This is the moment I wish would never end. Tears were drowning my face, but I’m happy, I’m too happy to say anything.

 

“I’m sorry that I made you wait for too long.” He muttered, gently breaking the hug.

I only shook my head. My sobs become harder when I heard his voice, forcing him to calm me down, “Hey calm down. I’m here. Stop crying.” His voice literally soothed my aching heart.

“What’s happening to you? They did this to you?” My fingers reached up his face, where some purplish bruised took place. It must have been hard for him, but I’m glad that he made it out.

“This is nothing compared to how much my heart pained from missing you too much.” He said half-whispering, “Let’s go. I need to take you somewhere. You’ll love it.”

 

He intertwined his fingers with mine before he led me away with him. We ran passed the two soldiers that were strolling around the road. Great that they didn’t notice us. We reached an alleyway near the school where I saw a bicycle was parked there. Sehun ride on, signaling me to join him at the back. I hesitatingly settled behind him. He grabbed my hands and placed them around his waist, telling me to hold tight. He pedaled away, passing by the buildings until we exited the town. I gasped in amazement to see a long river with clear water, so calm that my heart feels refreshed.

But he didn’t stop there. He kept pedaling forward. I love this feeling when the cool spring breeze hit my face. It’s so surprising how contrasted it was back in the town compared to this place. This was how spring supposed to be. Bright and green. Cool yet warm. I lifted my head up, enjoying every slap of breeze on every inch of my face.

 

“This is so beautiful.” I muttered.

“You like it?” Sehun asked.

“I love it! Thanks Sehun.”

“You’ll be more than thankful once we arrive at the place we’re heading to.”

“I can’t wait.”

 

Looks like it’s a quite a long journey, but it didn’t feel like it. Sehun stopped where the river had came to its end, replaced with vast green field and mountains far at the end of the field. He held my hand and shot a soft smile before pulling me somewhere with him. I gasped again as we’re now standing in front of a huge field with bright yellow, white, and green colors. The scenic field touched me to the bit of my heart.

 

“Daisies. They’re beautiful right?” Sehun spoke.

“Yes. I’m totally in love right now?” I replied, still amazed.

“Then let’s go.”

 

Before I could even question him, Sehun dragged me into the field with him. We stopped where there’s an empty space in the middle. He sat down, so do I. We’re surrounded by the fresh blooming daisies, so beautiful that I couldn’t take my eyes off them. I wanted to enjoy this moment, this dream-like moment. This boy here had an ability turning the dream to reality. I locked my gaze on Sehun’s face. His eyes were wandering around the field, probably enjoying the scenery too. I grabbed his hand and held it tight with both of my hands. He looked at his hand then at me.

 

“Don’t leave me like you did before anymore. Promise me?” I said, looking straight into his eyes.

He gently smiled before answering, “I promise you I won’t leave like I did before.”

“Thanks…”

“You know Jiyeon; I’m so happy right now. You changed a lot from when we first met. You’re more open and you expressed yourself better. You didn’t keep bowing down your head anymore and you didn’t seem as scared.”

“It’s all because of you.”

“I faced the soldiers because they took my sister away. They let her go once they got me. They almost shot me, but their leader stopped them. They tortured me for the past week. I feel like giving up. But I remember you; I remember how you need me. I can imagine how hard it must have been for you when I suddenly disappeared. I know I love you deeply, and the love literally boosted up my desire to escape. I know this sound cliché, but I managed to escape while thinking about you. I really miss you. I wanted to see you again. So here I am right now, next to you.”

 

Sehun’s story touched my fragile heart. Tears rolled down again. I’ve been crying countless time. I know he’d love it if I could at least be a little stronger than this rather than being a crybaby, but it’s hard to resist the tears that come from deep down my heart. I tilted my head and placed it onto Sehun’s shoulder, hand in hand. Sehun didn’t talk much, and he didn’t smile as much too. Although I missed the smile, I don’t mind as long as he’s here by my side. He was slightly moving when I rested my head on his shoulder. I saw he reached out to me holding a small but pretty daisy. He tugged the flower behind my ear. I saw that smile. I saw satisfaction in that smile as he’s staring at me. I touched the flower that was neatly tugged behind my ear.

 

“How do I look?” I asked him.

“As stunning as always. Even the beautiful daisy is overshadowed by your beauty.” He replied, and I could feel my cheeks became hot.

“Thanks.” I muttered.

 

Sehun just smiled as a reply. He then lied down on the ground and fixed his eyes onto the sky. My fingers instinctively reached out to his face and gently touched the bruises. My heart pained to see he was hurting. He closed his eyes when I placed my palm on his cheek, still smiling. How I love seeing that peaceful smile, the smile that shines the light of my life. My fingers ran down from his face to his chest, where I could feel his heartbeats. I placed my other palm on my chest to feel my own heartbeat. I closed my eyes to feel our heartbeats better. It felt like I could actually hear the beating sound, as if our hearts were connected to each other. I opened my eyes when I felt a light squeeze at my hand on his chest.

His eyes were still closed like he’s really sleeping, but his hand was holding onto mine, feeling the heartbeats together. I carefully lied down and settled next to him. His other hand encircled around my shoulders as I rested my head on his shoulder. Our hands were still tightly clutched together on his chest, didn’t wanna let go. I closed my eyes to enjoy the pleasant feeling being close to him in his embrace, sheltered under his warmth. However, I felt so sad and incomplete. I hate this feeling. God, I love him. I really love him. Please let us be together.

 

“Jiyeon-ah.” Sehun whispered my name.

I gazed up and looked at Sehun. His eyes were still tightly shut, “Hmm, yes?”

“These pretty flowers, they last only a short of time. Our lives are like these flower that won’t stay, but our love is immortal.”

“Yes, our love is immortal.” I stated and I saw Sehun’s eyes stirred open.

He stared at me with an inexplicable soft gaze. He my hair gently before planting a peck on my forehead, “Stay with me forever. Even if death separated us, promise me you will keep the love.”

“Sehun…” I showed an uneasy expression hearing his words, but he replied me with a wide grin.

“I will protect you until the end.”

 

 

---

 

The sun has set when we came back from the flower field. We arrived in front of my house that seemed too quiet, and it’s dark too. Maybe mom hasn’t back from work yet. Sehun ruffled my hair and smiled, again. He stood there and insisted to not leave until he saw me safely entered. I chuckled at his over-protectiveness before I walked in. I looked at him for the last time before I shut the door close. I switched on the light but my gasped surprised at my sight. The whole house was in chaos. Everything was off place. Stuffs were shattered on the floor. I saw mom’s working bag lied on the floor in vain.

 

“Mom!”

 

I yelled calling for her. I rushed to her room, my room, and to every part of our small house looking for her. My legs became weak and started trembling when I couldn’t find her anywhere. Tears were escaping my eyes. My legs couldn’t support me anymore as I collapsed on the floor. I started crying and wailing calling for my mom. I didn’t want this to be real. My greatest fear was to lose my mother. Please… this wasn’t real. This couldn’t be real.

 

“Jiyeon!”

 

My mind started speculating all the possibilities. I heard banging sound from behind. I heard footsteps approaching, but I couldn’t even think straight at this moment. A pair of hands grabbed my shoulders and in a split second I was already in someone’s embrace. I don’t have to look at him to know that it’s Sehun.

 

“Calm down Jiyeon. It’s okay.”

“It’s not okay!” I cried, “The—they took my mom, Sehun. What should I do now? They took my mom away.” I wailed.

“I’ll get her. I’m gonna bring her back to you.” He whispered.

I gazed up through my teary eyes. I cupped his face and shook my head, “No! I can’t let they take you too. You had suf

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter