Chapter 2

Odd Chances

All of them looked at once to the other side of the food court and gasped in unison. It would have been quite hilarious if I wasn’t trying so hard not to pass out.

“But… But that’s not possible!” Helena said, clearly perplexed, still staring at them with wide eyes. “They weren’t supposed to arrive until tomorrow!”

“Like, how do you even know these things?” Bia asked, forgetting the boys for a brief moment.

“Tumblr.” Helena shrugged, still staring at them.

“Well, someone’s clearly got the wrong information because those are definitely them.” I said, unable to look away as well.

Taemin must have been telling a funny story because all the others were laughing. I loved the way Jonghyun placed his hands over his eyes when he was laughing this hard. I did the exact same thing.

“Oh God, I can’t believe it’s them” Helena was on the verge of tears. I punched her arm to make her snap out of it.

“Stop it, don’t do that.” I hissed, almost angry at her. “No crying, no screaming, no fangirling like crazy! Just hear me out!”

They all leaned in to hear, as if it was some super secret mission.

“This is an opportunity we can’t waste.” I said, fishing around my backpack for my notebook and a pen.

“You’re not thinking about going there, are you?” Tatiana asked, looking over at their table with concern in her big, blue eyes. “There’s a film crew with them and all!” She muttered under her breath.

“Of course I’m going!”

I scribbled a quick note and ripped it out, but before I could fold it, Bia snatched it from my hands and read it aloud.

Ditch the film crew for today and come have some fun with us. No one will bother you on the streets here. If you want to feel free again, meet us outside in half an hour. If you don’t show up, we’ll leave with no hard feelings. Signed: A.

“Wow…” Tatiana whispered.

“Do you really think they’ll do it?” Helena snickered, shaking her head. “No way.”

“Well, they might! Are you forgetting View?” countered Bia.

“That was a just music video. Geez...”

“But what if they want to do it in real life?” Bia looked at me, hopeful. “What if they want to come with us?”

“How are you even going to give the note to them?” asked Tatiana.

They were all looking at me and my cheeks got flushed with excitement. I retrieved the note from Bia’s hands and folded it twice, suddenly very self-conscious and out of breath again. In my head, I pictured myself walking up to them, sliding the note onto their table and walking off like it was the most common thing in the world. I pictured it over and over, trying to convince myself I could do it without making a fool of myself. I had to do it if I wanted a chance to meet them, because I knew none of the others would be brave enough.

It had to be me.

A mischievous smile twisted my lips as I got up from my chair. Ignoring my quivering legs, I straightened my clothes and ran a hand through my hair, trying to fix the unfixable. Putting my best walk on, I circled the food court towards them.

Note secured in my right hand, head held high, one feet in front of the other and hips swaying to a silent song only I could hear, I purposefully looked everywhere but them so as not to be noticed. Four booths away, though, Jonghyun got caught in my peripheral vision. He seemed to be looking at me and I couldn’t help but take a peek to be sure. As I looked at him, our eyes met and I was sure my heart would explode in my chest. All my fake confidence stayed behind as I kept going forward, not even sure if I was even walking properly because my whole body was numb.

I couldn’t look away anymore. I was convinced he would, though, when our gazes touched. But he didn’t look away either. His head was slightly turned to the left and his lips were parted just enough to show a hint of teeth through that crooked smile that was messing with my head.

I suddenly realized that I couldn’t rely just on my writing skills to get them to come with us. I had to make them want it.

Only two booths apart and unsure if I was even breathing, I half-closed my eyelids, trying to mimic the seductive look I practiced countless times in front of my mirror. Two can play this game, Jjong.

Jonghyun’s right arm was resting next to his red tray, hand almost completely dangling off the table. Close enough to listen to their voices and laughter, a rush of adrenaline flooded my system and I felt braver than ever. As I walked past their table, I flashed a half smile and discreetly placed the note in front of him, letting the tip of my fingers brush slightly over his hand. Without stopping, I continued on my way to where my friends were, watching me intently with their mouths agape. I didn’t look back at him.

Seduction was nothing but a game and I had to play with him.