Chapter 1

Odd Chances

As I made the usual mess while eating my sub with extra ketchup, I couldn’t stop looking at the other side of the food court in the mall, where a film crew was hovering around a specific booth. I couldn’t see who it was, but it should be someone famous because no ordinary person drags a dozen people with cameras and sound equipment around them everywhere they go.

“Have you seen last weekend’s concert yet?” Helena asked, trying to get her bushy black hair away from her food by putting it up in a messy ponytail.

“Yes, obviously. Did you notice how Minho keeps getting hotter? Like, is that even allowed?” Bia replied, checking her soft pink lipstick on the tiny round mirror she always carried in her purse.

One by one, the members of the film crew were sitting down as well. But even though the crowd was getting thinner, I still failed to get a glimpse of whoever was the centre of all that attention. It didn’t help that my eyesight was far from great at this distance.

“We only have twenty minutes…” Tatiana said in her usual soft voice, barely audible above the others.

“Don’t worry, the teacher is always late.” I interrupted, not wanting to leave just yet. Curiosity was killing me.

“So, Helena, should we bring pyjamas tomorrow or…”

“I told you, it’s not necessary, Bia. We’re probably not gonna get much sleep anyways because we got a lot of SHINee videos and booze at home.”

“I think we should leave early for the concert, though, because if we’re not in the front rows, it’s going to be hell.”

“Yes, I know. Who knows when another opportunity like this will come our way?” Helena sipped loudly on her nearly finished drink and pushed her tray aside to make room for her arms on the table.

I thought I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket and lowered my eyes while getting it out of my pocket. False alarm, it was as quiet as ever. After putting it back, I collected all my sandwich wrappers and napkins and crushed them together into a neat ball of paper.

“I still don’t know why they decided to come here anyway. I never thought that the Portuguese fanbase was big enough to even get their attention.” Bia was rambling on about how awesome it was that SHINee had included our tiny country in their European Tour when I looked over at the film crew again.

Most of them were already having lunch and I finally had a clear view. There were three boys crammed into one side of the booth and other two sitting across from them.

My heart skipped a beat when I recognized them.

But I had to be wrong. I had to, it didn’t make any sense.

Squinting my eyes to make sure I could make out their faces, I failed to keep my mouth closed as I realized I was not wrong about who they were.

“Girls…”

“… Maybe it was all the effort we put in our fan actions. I mean, that has to count for something, right?”

Key ripped open a pack of ketchup with his teeth and poured the contents over his French fries.

The world seemed to spin around me. Breathe. I could not let myself get hysterical, because the fact that they were there, right across from me, was a golden opportunity. Think.

Minho threw his head back in laughter at something Taemin had said and that had made Onew elbow him in the ribs.

Think. I couldn’t let something like this go to waste. I had to try, had to at least do something or I would regret it forever. Breathe. I had the odd feeling that my lungs were not working properly because no matter how deep my breaths were, I still felt like no oxygen was getting in. Just breathe.

“Ana, are you okay?” Tatiana whispered next to me, leaning to take a better look at my face.

Think. Think. Breathe.

“Girls, what if we skip Spanish today?” I ultimately asked, hoping none of them would notice the boys before I told them.

“Uh?” Bia was confused by my abrupt change of subject.

“We skipped the last three Spanish classes already…” Helena said, although I knew she’d be the first one up for skipping classes.

“In fact, I think we might have to skip all classes this afternoon.” Strong heartbeats on my neck made my voice a bit shaky, but I still smiled and looked down at my hands.

“What do you mean?” Bia asked absentminded, playing with her fork, pushing around the plate the remains of her lunch.

“Feeling rebellious much?” Helena said, making the others giggle.

“Please try not to fangirl too loud because I have a plan that requires discretion and if you guys freak out I’ll freak out too and this won’t work.”

 “Uh?”

I sighed and hoped they would listen to me. “I’m pretty sure SHINee are having lunch over there.”