Chapter 5

Odd Chances

I know it took me a while to update, I'm sorry. Between finals in college and a bad case of writer's block after that, it's been a rough couple of weeks. I'll do better from now on, promise!

Hope you like this new chapter! 


 

“Do you have some kind of a drinking problem?” Taemin asked staring perplexed at the several bottles of alcoholic beverages in the fridge.

Helena laughed out loud. “Not at all. We were just stocking up for a pre-concert sleepover tomorrow.”

He turned to face her with a big smile across his face. “You’re going to the concert?”

“Obviously, how could we miss that?”

He bowed, looking almost a bit embarrassed. “I hope we don’t let you down.”

She fought the urge to squeeze the cuteness out of him and turned to open the cupboard over the sink instead. “That’s impossible.”

She was stretching to reach the glasses when a pair of arms hugged her waist as Taemin held her from behind. “Thank you” he whispered in her hear, chin resting on her right shoulder.

The hug lasted only a few seconds, but it felt like hours. His body was so close to hers that when he let go, he left her with the feeling that something was missing.

“Should I get the ice?” His tone was matter-of-factly and he was back to his playful self.

“Y-yes, please”. Her voice was still shaky from the shock.

Helena took out nine colourful glasses and lined them up on the counter while Taemin busied himself with filling them halfway with ice he got from the silicone trays.

"Having fun, you two?"

Helena looked over her shoulder to see Jonghyun leaning on the door with his arms crossed on his chest and a big smile on his lips.

"Were you spying on us?" Taemin said, turning to face his friend.

"I’m sorry to interrupt. I just came to get a drink for me and Ana." The blond boy walked over to them with his hands on his pockets and looked at Helena. “Any recommendations?”

She thought for a moment. “Well, her favourite is gin & tonic. I can prepare one -”

“No, no, don’t worry” He interrupted. “I’ll do it myself, thanks.”

Helena and Taemin shared a playful look and stepped away to let Jonghyun get to work.

“Maybe we should take this stuff to the living room so everyone else can have a drink as well.” She suggested, as Jonghyun opened the fridge to take out the two bottles he’d need. He hummed a slow tune, hips swinging while he mixed the two drinks.

When Helena and Taemin got back to the kitchen, he was already leaving with one glass in each hand.

Taemin leaned on the fridge, cooling his back. “I can’t believe how hot it is in here…”

The double meaning of his sentence did not go unnoticed and she hesitated before answering, forcing inappropriate thoughts out of her mind.

“Well, the weather’s been unusually hot lately.” She drummed her fingers on the counter, wondering whether or not to cut up some lemon slices in case anyone wanted to add them to their drink.

She was startled when he positioned himself behind her again and her first instinct was to turn around, but he placed a hand on her waist to keep her from doing it.

"Don't move." he said right next to her hear in a husky undertone, shivers sparking all over her body like an electric discharge.

She inhaled sharply when something icy touched her neck, leaving a wet trail as it travelled slowly through her skin. She shut her eyes and gritted her teeth so as not to recoil from that sudden cold feeling. A water drop slid down her spine and she shivered.

"Cold, cold!" she exclaimed, turning around on the spot to face Taemin, who was still holding the ice cube between his fingers with a sly smile.

"Your turn now." she said, snatching the ice from his hand.

Looking straight into his eyes, she put her arm over his shoulder and slid the ice cube through the back of his neck. He flinched at first and then bit his lower lip as she brought the ice to the front, making round patterns everywhere between his neck and collarbone.

The ice was becoming slippery as it melted and when it crossed his jugular, Helena lost her grip and what remained of the ice cube fell down inside his shirt.

"Ouch, cold!" he yelled and jumped back, trying to get rid of the ice as she laughed at him.